The Encounter

Grandma's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Chaeji

What a great start of the New Year! It practically started with a bang! Who knows what will await for the rest of the year. It's too early to tell as of now. After coming home at 1AM, since Taehyung and Hanbin couldn't get over the fact that they kissed, grandma had already fallen asleep. Overall, the rest of New Year's Day was fantastic. Grandma's agreement to have surgery made me the happiest person alive!

 

 

 

"So the doctor said the appointment will be on March 15th, right, grandma?" I asked as I pushed the shopping cart through the colorful cereal aisle. We were grocery shopping together before my vacation ended.

"Right, Chaeji, January 15th is the day of my surgery," Grandma replied as she nodded, "You don't have to worry about me. I'm more worried about you, darling. How can we pay for college? School is so expensive nowadays, I don't think we can pull off paying for college!"

I released a breath, "We'll figure something out. I promise. It'll be difficult, but it's definitely worth saving your life. Now, let's not talk about this heavy topic in the supermarket. It makes me feel so sad." I pouted, "You see this pout, grandma? This is sadness."

She chuckled as she replied, "Oh alright, now can you please go fetch me a gallon of milk? I'll handle pushing the cart from here."

I gleefully nodded, "Okay! I'll be right back!"

Ah. I just love spending time with grandma. Days like these may seem to be like any other day to any other person, but to me, it's special. I could care less about the vicinity. Each and every second with her is so valuable to me.

 

 

 

I quickly turned right on a corner towards the dairy section and accidently bumped into somebody. Unfortunately, the person whom I collided with fell down onto the ground.

"Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry! Let me help you up!" I offered as I lent a hand out as apologetically as I could.

A familiar voice escaped from the stranger's plump, yet dried lips, "What the hell, Chaeji."

Huh? How does this stranger know my name?

"E-excuse me?" I ominously asked as I got a closer look at the person.

It was none other than Hanbin.

"What brings you here, Hanbin?" I asked as he got up with my help.

Hanbin dusted off his clothes, "I just wanted to pick up some snacks for Hanbyul and I-"

"Hanbyul's here? I want to see her adorable self right now!" I exclaimed as I cut Hanbin off.

Hanbin slightly blushed as he awkwardly smiled, "Why are you making me feel so jealous of my own sister, Chaeji-ah?" He then reached his hand over to my face and pinched my cheek.

Huh?

Why does my stomach feel funny from Hanbin pinching my cheeks? It felt like it did tiny flips...

My face slightly reddened, "Why would you-"

"Yeah, she's here with me. I'll bring you to her!" Hanbin shouted as he wrapped his arm around my waist to lead me to Hanbyul.

Suddenly, I can feel my face turning a deep shade of red as people were eyeing the both of us. Feeling embarrassed, I turned my face away from Hanbin and stiffly asked, "H-Hanbin, I n-need to grab a gallon of milk. I'm h-here with my grandma."

From the corner of my eye, I can definitely tell that Hanbin has noticed my strange behavior as his lips tugged upward into a smile, "I thought you said you wanted to see Hanbyul's adorable self, Chaeji. We're in the dairy section anyway. Hanbyul just has a hard time choosing her package of yogurt."

Hanbin's madly blushing face started inching closer and closer to my already red face. This feels so uncomfortable. I'm practically dying of air, "Y-you're too close to me. Please move away." I asked as I backed my face out, making a double chin.

He tightened his grip around my waist, "Can we just please walk around like this?" He looked nervous and continued, "I-I like it like this..."

I pried his arms off of me, "I just want to grab a gallon of milk for my grandma. You should also check on your sister. She's so adorable that I would kidnap her in an instant."

We both peered over to the dairy section to see my grandma and Hanbyul talking together.

"Look, Chaeji, she's perfectly fine," Hanbin pointed out.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh please, if my grandma wasn't there, who knows what would've happened to Byullie."

Wait. Grandma made it to the dairy section before me?

I waved my arms over to my grandmother as I jogged over to her, "Grandma! I'm sorry! I couldn't get the milk! Hanbin was bothering me!"

"In my defense, she knocked me to the ground!" Hanbin defended himself as he stuck his tongue out at me in a slight smirk.

I opened my mouth in shock of Hanbin's defense. Quickly, I argued, "I wasn't the one who s my arm around my best friend's waist!" I smirked back at Hanbin.

 

 

 

Grandma Uyu

​I looked over at Hanbyul and we both rolled our eyes at the two.

One moment they're both madly blushing to each other. The next moment they're bickering.

It's quite cute to watch, but we're in public. It's a different ballpark once you're in public.

Hanbyul then tugged at my jacket, "When will Chaeji fall in love with Oppa, or Alien Oppa?"

"Darling, the world may never know. We'll just have to wait and see," I didn't know how to answer that question. I answered it the best I could. She formed an 'O' with her lips to show her understanding.

Suddenly, the sight in front of me seemed to happen all at once. A drunk couple, who seemed to be in their late 40s was carrying cases of beer and other bottles of alcohol bumped into Chaeji as she slammed into rows of shopping carts, and slipped onto the floor with a loud thud sound. From there, they continued to walk ahead, acting as if nothing happened—though everyone in the supermarket witnessed the incident.

Why did they look so familiar? Maybe their attire threw me off. I feel like I definitely know them from somewhere or some place.

Wit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter