When the Stars Align

Grandma's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Not edited

Kim Chaeji

Somehow, after my family reunion, it seemed like things fell into place. Miraculously, Taehyung, Hanbin, and I ended up choosing the same university—most of our friends chose the same school, and schools nearby. Who would haven guessed that would have happen? To me, it seems like fate, or maybe even a miracle.

 

Because of that, we all knew and promised that we needed to maintain our friendship since we were relatively close to each other in terms of location—even if it meant abstaining ourselves from college parties, drinking, or other activities. Although most of use will be dorming at university, I've decided that I will be commuting from home. To be honest, it's cheaper, and I'm really the only person who is licensed to drive—not to mention that I also own a car. Aside from these factors, this is also another way for me to stay by grandma's side. It's really the best of both worlds.

"Are you ready for graduation?"Grandma asked as she put on her light coat from her right arm to left.

I finished brushing my hair in front of the mirror, "Of course, I am. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, it's just different to see you as a grown woman going to college very soon...You won't be in high school anymore." She walked up to me to fix the tie on my uniform. "This will also be the last time you'll be wearing this. You won't even look the part as a high schooler anymore."

Somehow, I can sense this sad, but very emotional feeling from her. I looked from my tie to my grandma's eyes, "Even though I won't be in high school anymore, I'll still be the same person. I definitely won't change."

She let out a sigh, "I'm aware of that, but when you take care of a child of your own, you'll see what I mean." Then she looked up and smiled at me.

I was shocked to hear my grandma talking about this all of a sudden, "You think I want kids right now? Grandma, I still want to pursue higher education, get a career, a-and get-"

"Obviously I want you to do all of those things first, Chaeji, but it would be great to see a great grandchild grow up as well." She walked towards the door, "Come on, you don't want to be late for your own graduation, do you?" I froze at the sight of her. She's acting like it's normal to just make babies like that...but is that how mom, or even how I was made? Is that how society functions? 

I shook the thoughts away from my head, "Of course I wouldn't want to be late for my own graduation."

 

 

 

"Chaeji! I feel like it's been so long since I've seen you! How are you?"

I turned around to that very familiar voice, "Jungah, we literally saw each other a week ago at our last meet."

"D-don't say it like that, girl. Last week was our very last week as high schoolers. After we graduate, we're off to college," She looked off to the distance. She then turned around, "Oh god, I think I'm going to cry. I hate crying in public why am I doing this."

I pulled her in for a hug, "Listen, I'm going to miss you a bunch, and even though we're graduating, that does not mean that it's the end of everything. We'll still message, call, and even hang when we can. We've gone over this before, girl."

She scoffed, but still held onto me, "I know that, but I think it's definitely the mood of this ceremony that's really gotten to me."

"Think of this moment in life as opening a new chapter to more possibilities. I mean, you can't do much with a high school degree. It's that bachelor's degree that employers want," I took a deep breath, "Man, I feel like crying right now."

She looked at me, "See what I mean? Now seeing tears in your eyes makes me want to cry even more!"

I felt warm tears welling up my eyes, "Don't say that, you're making me feel like I'm going to explode full of tears, man!"

Jungah then wiped some of her tears with her sleeve, "Just remember that we have to hang out and message each other before and while we're in school. You also need to join your school's track team."

"That's a lot of commands coming from you."

"Well that's because we have to race each other. I've been scouted, but that doesn't mean that you still don't have a chance at competing at the college level," She wiped the tears from her eyes with her sleeves again.

"I don't even know if I want to do track in college. School work is going to be hectic, and not to mention getting a job to help out with tuition."

Suddenly, there was a tap on Jungah's shoulder, "Ladies, I think you should continue this after the graduation ceremony. It hasn't even started yet."

I shot a look at the perpetrator, which happens to be none other than Hanbin.

"Hanbin, cry with us." I commanded while bringing him into the circle.

He seemed to be appalled, "What? I'm not going to cr-" Tears then appeared to surround his eyes. "Why are you guys making me do this. I can't believe you guys," He then tried to hide his face, "Don't look at me."

"See Jungah? Boys do cry," I giggled.

"Why are we even having this crying circle anyway? This should be a happy moment for us. It's not like we're never going to see each other again," Hanbin wailed. 

"Oh my god you guys are crying too? I thought I was the only one!" I could faintly hear J-Hope's voice from behind us. He then joined in, "I'm not weird, this is normal to hug in a circle."

"Jungah? Hanbin? Chaeji? J-Hope??? Bwoh? What are you guys all doing? Crying," Taehyung questioned as he looked up from his phone.

Hanbin clicked his tongue, despite still sobbing his heart out, "Shut up and join us."

Taehyung's eyes already started to well up with tears, "I hate you guys for doing this to me." He then joined in the circle.

Soon, everyone from our friend circle started joining into the circle, and despite knowing that we all will see each other after high school, and in college as schoolmates once again, I felt that this was ending once chapter in our young lives. I know throughout my high school years, I've certainly grown, and so has everyone else.

Do we all want to move on from high school?

Definitely—but the reality of moving on from being in high school, and completely under our parents' and guardians' care will be different with respon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter