Let Me Know

Grandma's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Chaeji

It always seems to be a rush after Christmas; celebrating Taehyung's birthday, the new year, and getting back to school. There's just so much to do in such little time. I get that everyone wants to hang out during these petty moments that we have left of vacation, but I also need time for myself—though I wouldn't mind hanging out with grandma.

Sadly, she didn't want to go shopping with me. She had a doctor's appointment and insisted that I go grocery shopping and finding Taehyung's birthday gift on my own.

I've already gone through two of Taehyung's favorite stores, but I can't seem to find anything that would fit his personality. This is always the problem I get when I shop for Taehyung's gift for his birthday. I find the perfect gift for Christmas and struggle to find his birthday gift since the dates are so close to each other.

I then strolled into a nearby toy store. Each and every nook and cranny contained a toy from the floor to the ceiling. I am amazed at how the employees here are able to organize the toys so well—even though that position of employment is more likely for the gifted.

From the corner of my eye, I spotted something that Taehyung has never played with in so long—a giant lion plushy. The toy had a golden mane that seemed to match Taehyung's messy hair texture. I swear it seemed like it was the size of me! It's perfect for Taehyung!

Mustering up all the energy I had left after shopping for so long, I sprinted over to the lion.

Suddenly, a giraffe sized person wearing a long, tannish coat and hat grabbed onto the lion before I could get to the toy. I was stunned. I looked everywhere for something that would be perfect for Taehyung, but this tall person just had to grab Taehyung's perfect gift!

Feeling offended I tapped on the tall man's shoulder as I was on the tip of my toes, "Excuse me Ajusshi-"

The figure turned around and from there my eyes grew wide, "Hey Chaeji! I didn't think I'd see you here!"

The Jurassic being was none other than Zelo.

I blinked several times before replying, "Hi Zelo. Are you going to buy that?" I pointed at the giant lion plush that he was holding.

He looked at the toy and looked back up at me, "...Maybe-"

I cut into his speech, "Can I have that? I'll buy it!"

Zelo looked confused, "Why?"

I sassily countered his question as I put my hands on my hips, "Why are you buying it? Huh, Zelo? Who is it for?"

Zelo's face grew a bright shade of red, "I uh-"

Curiosity got the best of me, I continued to ask Zelo more questions, "Is it for a girl? Is it for someone in our class? Who?" 

He nervously shook his head, "You know what? Here. You can have it. I don't like lions anyway."

My face contorted into a strange expression upon hearing Zelo's response. He said 'I don't like lions', right? "The toy was for you? You could have just told me that!"

"Shh!" Zelo whispered as he covered my mouth from speaking, "This isn't something that you can just blabber about, arasso?"

I rolled my eyes, as he uncovered my mouth, "Whatever. Just let me have that lion!" I tried to pry the lion off of Zelo's grasp.

"Only if you promise not to tell anyone about me buying myself a toy."

"That's not a big deal. That doesn't concern me anyway."

"Fine. Take it," Zelo said as he threw the plush at me, "Have a great rest of winter break!"

I saluted to him as I jogged over to the cash register, "Same to you, kiddo, and thanks for the lion!"

 

 

 

"Grandma! I'm home! How was the doctor's appointment?" I greeted as I slipped off my shoes to enter my house.

I was about to approach the kitchen until I heard rattling noises and the sound of a bottle cap being close. What's up with grandma? Is there new medication from the doctor's appointment today?

I slowly walked into the kitchen to see grandma with a new bag of medication. By the looks of it, it seems as if she was just looking at her medicine and stuffed them into the bag once I arrived. How strange...

"What's in that bag you got there, grandma?" I asked as I tilted my head to the side, "Is it new?"

"What's that giant lion for? That is enormous!" She questioned as her gaze fell upon the astonishing size of the toy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter