Eat a Snickers Bar

Grandma's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Chaeji

"May the Kim family please be present?" The doctor announced as she stood outside of the corridors. It seemed as if the wait had taken such a long time, and after hearing that announcement, I swear I could feel my blood pressure rise.

Everyone, including Taehyung and Hanbin, got up from their seats to move towards the doctor.

"You're not in my family. I don't remember raising two other boys," My dad critiqued as he pointed at Taehyung and Hanbin.

"My last name is Kim," Taehyung sassily retorted.

"My surname is also Kim," Hanbin chirped in, "She's like family to us."

"I'm sorry, but you have to be related by blood to Ms. Kim," The doctor trailed off.

"So go sit back down," my mom feistily added. Thank goodness there's not a scent of alcohol on them. By the looks of it, there also isn't any alcoholic beverages present. Again, thank goodness. That would at least show grandma that they have some dignity in them.

"Please, will you guys come this way?" The doctor directed us into the emergency room.

Is grandma okay? 

She must be okay. She has to be okay! 

She is okay! 

She definitely is okay!

Deep in thought, I continued to follow the doctor, and my parents in front of me until it felt as if I walked into something. I looked in front of me to realize that I accidentally walked into dad, and at the same time, stepped on the back of his heel.

My eyes grew wide as my heart raced. Slowly, he turned his head to look at me, the culprit.

I quickly stepped back and bowed down, "I am so sorry about that. I was not watching where I was going."

"Hmp. You do have manners," He sharply spews out of his venomous mouth to then turn his filthy head back in place as we all continued walking.

Unbelievable.

Though I was dumbfounded for a few seconds, I knew immediately that I needed to see grandma.

"Gather around here now," The doctor commands.

I quickly sprinted over to my grandmother's right, the opposite direction away from my parents. As I looked down at grandma, she looked lifelessly pale. With colorful wires hooked up to her everywhere, and sounds from unfamiliar medical technology, nothing bad could've happened to her right?

Upon further inspection, I looked at her chest to see if she was breathing.

Thank.

 

Goodness.

 

She's.

 

Alive.

 

It felt as if a whole weight was lifted off of my chest. I'm just so happy that she's okay.

"You guys are in for some news. She's just asleep right now," The doctor started rambling, "We tried piecing together what had exactly made her diverticulitis build up, and we believe that it was an extra effort to exercise that her body just could not handle. From what I heard, she was chasing you down the track. That extra adrenaline caused stress throughout her body, and once it hit her colon, she collapsed. Her body couldn't take in anymore stress. During the operation, we were able to operate surgery on her. That being said, we removed the extra substances from her colon so her surgery date just came a little earlier than expected. Now, I'll let you guys have some time with her, and your guests. Once she wakes up, we have to go over details of the type of medicine she'll take, recovery procedur-"

"Okay, okay. We get it. Just go," My dad rudely cuts the doctor off.

I stared at him in disbelief as the doctor scurried out the doors.

Then my dad directed his vulgar attention to me, "Look, kid. I don't even know why you're here. I know that you're related to your grandma and all, but I thought this was only for the family."

At this point, I'm not even surprised by their actions anymore, "I am related to grandma, and, of course, I have a right to be here, just as much as your right to be here, dad."

My mom then abruptly adds herself into the lovely conversation, "Hey. If you're going to cause trouble, then maybe it's bes-"

That is ing it. That was the last straw. That was the last thread. "Me? Cause trouble? Oh boy, what are you two exactly on?" It has to be more than just alcohol. "I have been living with grandma since the time that you two abandoned me, and since we are family, that just proves that I should be here. Furthermore, you're saying that I am the one that causes trouble?" Oh please. "You guys need a reality check, because you guys have obviously been picking fights with me ever since we've met at the supermarket. Oh and here's another reality check, we're here for grandma," I pointed towards grandma sleeping on her hospital bed, "So I suggest that we have a positive environment for her once she wakes up."

From there, I peacefully made my way to a chair that was seated besides grandma as the room grew silent.

 

 

 

Kim Taehyung

​"I wonder what it's like for Chaeji right now..." Hanbin mindlessly spews as he gazes upon the emergency room doors, "The doctor that led them into the emergency room just left. Do you think anything bad happened?"

At a time like this, I can't be my childish, and alien self. I have to watch out for Chaeji, and her grandma. They're in this time of dire need, and I have to be there for the both of them to remain strong. I rubbed my right eye, "I'm sure her grandma is okay. She's a strong woman after all. Since she'll be okay, that means Chaeji will be okay. Chaeji always corresponds with her grandma's actions."

"That's true, but I'm more worried about Chaeji being in the same room as her parents," He whined, "You know how they are. I was there when the whole supermarket thing happened."

I then recalled what Hanbin and Chaeji told me about the supermarket incident, "Being in the same room as her parents? Didn't they cause havoc at the supermarke-"

"Yeah, they even hit Chaeji and me. Imagine what they can do in a quiet, closed room. Two versus one..." He trails off in thought.

He's right. Anything can happen to Chaeji right at this instant. She could be in pain for all I know, or she can be furiously arguing with her parents right at this moment. Anything can happen. Anything.

At an impulse, I immediately bounced up from my chair, "Then we have to go in there! We have to protect Chaeji right now! This is a matter of life or death!!!"

I quickly ran into the emergency room like a tiger. No one can stop me now.

 

 

 

Kim Chaeji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter