Without You

Grandma's Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Chaeji

Everything just seems so surreal to me.

It's as if everything happened all at once.

I never imagined that this day would come.

From horribly messing up at my very first track meet, to grandma being in the hospital, then my parents. What has my life come to? Is the world ending?

"Aish. Are you kidding me? That guy definitely looks like a raccoon. Just look at his eyes!" I looked to my right to see Taehyung continuing his squabble to Hanbin who seemed like he was ready to doze off at any second. I glared at him, until he looked at me, "What?"

I grumbled, "Can you just please give me a moment, Tae? I'm having a life crisis right in my mind right now!" Clearly, he didn't hear my thoughts. It's not like I was announcing them anyway, but still.

"I-I'm sorry, Chaeji. I didn't know." Taehyung apologized and scooped me into a hug, which I will admit was very comforting at this time, "I'm here for you, remember? Now, don't keep it to yourself. What's in your mind?"

"I just," I took a deep breath while getting out of Taehyung's grasp. Can I really tell them what's bothering me? "I don't know. But one thing that's really been bugging me is being without grandma. I knew that there would be a time when I'd have to be away from grandma. Fortunately, she's going to be in the hospital for a short amount of time, but I don't think I'm ready to live by myself. Even though she's going to be in the hospital for a week, what am I going to do tonight? Just knowing that her presence isn't in the house is driving me crazy! I don't know what I can do!"

"Chaeji, for now, it'll be alright. You can do it. I know you can," Hanbin assures with his gentle smile. "Plus, we have school tomorrow, so you can see us first thing in the morning."

"See you guys first thing in the morning, huh?" Somehow, a brilliant idea just popped into my head. I mean, why didn't I think of this before?

"Yeah, you'll see us so there's nothing to worry about," Taehyung agreed as he scratched the back of his neck, "We're there for you."

"Chaeji?" Hanbin asked.

I answered back, "Yeah?"

"What's that look on your face for?" Hanbin is pretty smart. He's reading my face very well.

"Hm? What look? I just have an idea."

 

 

 

Grandma Uyu

This is very suspicious. There's no way my daughter and son-in-law just decided to come here to visit me at the hospital without any motive. I've given them countless options in the past to help cure them of their addiction, but they chose not to do anything about it. It's their choice. They've chosen the path that they're in right now, and it is about time they've realized their consequences.

"Uyu, are you thinking of them again? Them as in your daughter, and son-in-law?" Mul asked before sipping water from her water bottle, "Maybe you're just easy to read. It's definetely a hereditary trait if you ask me. I remember your mother had it." She chuckled.

"We know you're definitely thinking of them. Don't deny it." Juseu added on as she took a seat next to my hospital bed.

"Sometimes, I feel like Hanbin is a clear reflection of you, Juseu." I am serious when I say that. The both of them can read people very well. "It's probably an inherited trait if you ask me. Other than that, you guys know me too well."

"Well, Hanbin is getting there, but not quite there just yet. He's just sharp," Juseu agreed while gently folding her arms. 

"Of course we do, Uyu, we've been friends for so many years—and I intend on keeping that way," Mul brightly smiled. "Anyway, why is your kid around lately? I know that's what you're thinking, but I want to hear what you have to think about it. I mean, after so many years, they finally decide to visit once you're in the hospital. Not a single Christmas or birthday card while they're gone, huh? I personally think that something's fishy, don't you?"

"Mul, I think you're saying a tad bit too much." Juseu quickly pointed out before anything else could be said—though I wanted to hear more.

I chuckled while waving it off, "Nonsense! I have been thinking the same exact way!"

Juseu then finally adds in her thoughts, "So do you think they're trying to get something from you or Chaeji? There must be some type of motive!"

"Knowing the state that they're in right now, anything is possible," Mul said suddenly.

Their state? "What do you mean by 'their state'?" I asked, "Did you notice anything peculiar about them?"

Mul hesitated for a moment, "W-well, their state as in...uh-"

"Out with it, Mul. We don't have all day," Juseu hastily cut in.

Mul then continued expressing her thoughts, "I thought about this after you told me about the supermarket incident. I thought to myself, 'Why would they do that to just anyone?' because the last time I heard about them, they weren't attacking just anyone, but themselves, so why would they suddenly attack Chaeji and Hanbin? It's as if they already knew who their daughter was throughout all of these years, and took this opportunity to finally meet with their only daughter."

Hmm. "Those are good points..." I never thought about it that way, "Then why do you think they suddenly attacked Hanbin?"

"Maybe it was just for show, well, while they were drunk. You did say they both smelt of alcohol, correct?" Juseu concluded.

I paused to recall the memories before responding, "Yes, while yelling at them, I do remember the scent of alcohol in the air."

"That could be it!" Mul exclaimed, "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter