Baking

Behind Those Fake Masks (Indefinite Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jiwoo's pov:

 

The time I spend in Jinki's house flashed in front of me when I walked inside the still empty and cold looking house. Even though I didn't stay in this place for that long, it still brought up memories. I felt my lips slightly curling up, imagining Sora running around in the house with the noise of the television filling the living room.

"Aren't you going inside?" Jinki asked, passing me, a smell of sweet floral hanging around me. It was that typical smell he had and I discovered, when sleeping over here, that it was the smell from his shampoo or shower gel. 

I nodded, bringing myself to walk inside the house, light shining through the glass windows.

Struggling with the bags full with baking ingredients, I pulled myself to the kitchen, almost instantly placing the plastic bags down on the counter that was in the center of the kitchen.

My eyes travelled around the kitchen without any motive but I noticed how unused it looked like. It was obvious that Jinki barely used this place.

"You're not going to start?" he suddenly asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. I blinked a few times, confused becauseit was so sudden, but nodded one time in the end.

"Y-yeah...," I pulled my sleeves up and washed my hands, a deep sigh escaping me as I looked at the ingredients. "Oooh... You have a kitchen robot?" I asked, realizing that I never asked if he was even equipped to bake in here.

Jinki nodded and opened a door in the kitchen, a small room with quite some stuff inside.

He had a storage room in here...?

With a clean and new looking kitchen robot, Jinki closed the door with his foot and carefully placed it on the counter.

"Here you go."

I nodded, trying to start and make a cake.

Well... That was easy to say but difficult to do.

Taking in a deep breath, I carefully poured some flour in a large bow, added some eggs and sugar and pressed the button of the robot, the mixer mixing everything smoothly.

I felt uncomfortable with Jinki looking at me, making me clear my throat awkwardly.

"Y-you're just going to stand there?" I huffed.

Jinki chuckled, a soft hum leaving his throat.

"F-fine." I stammered, not knowing what to do.

It didn't take that long for the cake to be baked and with much anticipitation, I cut it, tasting it. But the smile I had, disappeared, my eyebrows knitting together in a deep frown.

"Why? What's wrong?" Jinki asked, walking over to me and take a small piece of the vanilla cake.

He raised his eyebrows and kept looking at me and th cake, his head tilted to the side.

"Just say it." I grumbled, pushing the cake away from me.

"It's bland and not so tasy." Jinki said honestly, making me scoff. 

He really was honest, wasn't he...!

"I thought you could cook." he muttered, taking another piece, but he still didn't seem to like the taste of it.

"Cooking and baking is not the same." I hissed.

"They are though... You're just accepting two meanings. Let's start over and follow a recipe this time instead of just mixing things randomly together."

I wanted to complain, but this guy was right.

A recipe was not a bad idea.

"Let me search." he mumbled, taking out his phone, googling for recipies.

"You're going to help me?" I asked surprised.

He hummed, not bothering to look at me, eyes fixed on his cellphone's screen. 

Why would he help me? Was he bored or something...?! What's the point of helping me? 

"Okay, got one. okay, we need four egg yolks, 400 gram sugar, all purpose flour..." Jinki started to sum up, my hands searching for the ingredients no the already messy kitchen counter.

He poured everything I weighted in a large bowl, settling it under the kitchen robot for it to get mixed before he muttered the words of the recipe with a fest pace.

"What for cake are we making?" I asked, my lips slightly pouted, half waiting for the mix to be ready.

Jinki raise dhis head and looked at me, his lips curling up in a small smile.

"A vanilla cake with fruit filling." 

Woah... That sounds tasty...!

I nodded, pretending to not be amazed by it, my hands quickly pressing on the button of the robot.

"Now we just need to add vanilla extract and make the fruit fillings." 

I nodded and mixed the vanilla liquid by folding the wet dough over each other. Carefully pouring it in a baking plate, I put it in Jinki's oven, which looked completely except for a faint smell from the cake that failed.

"Done!" Jin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter