Lair of the Sphinx

Divine Words

Author POV

The group of teens landed in what looked to be the outer edge of Cairo, looking down at a complaining Geb who was still in the sand.

“What’d he do that for, THAT WAS UNNECESSARY.” Geb jumped up, brushing the pieces of sand off him and you snickered, walking past him, following Taeyeon as she led the group into the bustling city.

“Remind me to kick Anubis in the shin when we get back…” He mumbled to Tao who rolled his eyes, walking up with Taecyeon.

As they walked through the crowd, they tried to blend in with the tourists walking around.

“Where to first?” You asked curiously, blocking the sun with your hand as you looked around, and Tiffany smirked.

“We need to blend in. That means, shopping for head coverings and scarves so we don’t look like tourists.” She got a nod from Jessica who was already looking through a shop.

“How is it that we land in a strange country and you ALREADY know what to shop for?!” Sun said in confusion and Taeyeon sighed, glancing at their group.

“Unfortunately, she’s right. Tourists get blocked at certain locations, we should at least look like visiting archaeologists or that this is a school venture. More access granted that way, less sneaking around.”

“GREAT! We need at least ten scarves now. Who’s got the money?” You looked around and everyone turned to stare at Geb.

“I’m broke.” He said nonchalantly, looking around and Tao grabbed his dad by the arm.

“Need I remind you, dear father, that you are a literal god. You can pull it out of your if needed.” He glared, and Gyuri facepalmed, mumbling something.

“Firstly, my is exit only, and secondly do I look like the god of money to you?!” He pulled away with a frown, and Jessica cleared , and everyone turned to see her at a stand.

“This...Nice gentleman will give us what we need for two bushels of wheat. Does that meet your criteria, Lord Geb?” She asked coldly, her usually brown eyes showing pink rings.

“Hmm...One bushel...and a camel?” He tried to barter and was met with the sound of metal unsheathing behind him.

“STOP BEING STINGY!”

“FINE FINE. TAKE YOUR TWO BUSHELS!” He made them grow behind the hypnotized shop owner, who quickly handed them their new clothes, and they looked around for a place to change.

“There’s gotta be a bathroom in there.” Geb pointed at a big building that had people flowing in and out of it regularly and looked at the restored hieroglyphics above the door.

The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities and Art.” You read out loud and Geb looked at you stunned.

“Good job, death kid number three.” He nodded and walked into the building overseeing your group, and looking for a sign.

“There!” Gyuri pointed and everyone ran to their respective bathrooms, leaving their bags with the lone god, and wrapping their scarves around them and over their heads quickly.

When they came out, they saw that Geb had made one materialize over him and they glared at him in annoyance, while he looked around the museum suspiciously. He handed everyone their belongings and froze when he noticed some of the guards with strange markings on their hands. Some looked like the crook and flail while others looked like a dog with giant fangs.

Your POV

“Son of a flying crocodile, we need to go,” Geb said and started hurrying us out of the door before we could ask why.

“New plan, we come back here when the museum closes for a break. That’s in an hour.” He said with a strange look on his face.

“What did you see?” Kali asked with a frown.

Medjai...and Warriors of Set. They are patrolling the area.” He said, looking around carefully.

“Medjai?! ing Aren. Power hungry bastard took over the group a few months ago, I didn’t think he’d stoop this low though.” Sun said frustrated and suddenly looked just as panicked.

“What are Medjai??” Tiffany asked confused and surprisingly Gyuri answered.

“They USED to be the Pharaoh’s bodyguards. Sworn oaths to protect him as warriors of Ra, since-”

“Pharaohs were thought to be the embodiment of Ra, yea. Dammit.” Jessica ended, and we looked back into the museum, taking a body count.

“There’s gotta be a way to Set’s pyramid from here then.” I surmised and looked around for any back entrances and saw a security guard exit one with a strange black bag.

“Found it.” I pointed and we were about to start heading towards it when I saw someone familiar talking to a tour group.

“Hey! I'm your tour guide Sooyoung and are you all prepared to visit the many temples of the vast gods and goddesses here in Cairo?” She smirked and I noticed the scar on her cheek from when we fought her last time.

“Daughter of Serqet…twelve o’clock.” I glared and they all turned to see her, Taeyeon growling lowly.

“I’ve been itching for a rematch..”

“I thought I shot her.” Sun glared and reached for his nunchucks in his bag slowly.

“Woah, Woah now. Be cool Tae. Easy tiger.” Geb held her shoulder firmly and watching the rest of us.

“I know you all want to beat her into the next Chinese dynasty but not now. You will draw unneeded attention to us. Three of you, join the tour group, the others and I will follow from a distance. Preferably the three who WON’T lose their cool.” He said with a frown and Gyuri stepped forward along with Kali and Tao.

“Good, go quickly, the others follow me to that food stand over there.” Geb pulled us all along while Sun, Taec and I sent longing looks at our other halves.

Tao brought his black scarf around to cover his mouth and shock white hair, and the other two made sure their hair was covered as they looped their arms through his, acting every part as natural as they could. Sooyoung did send them a strange look but shrugged it off as she led the group onto a bus. We sat down at two tables and watched them carefully, groaning in annoyance as Geb came back with actual plates of food.

“Seriously, when was the last time any of you ate.” He asked and leaned back in his seat, watching the bus leave.

“I have a trace on Tao. I always know where my son is, so eat.” He sighed, taking a bite of his food.

“What is it?” Taeyeon asked curiously, staring at the plate in wonder while Sun had already dug in.

“You uncultured demigods...It’s Kushari. Some consider this the national dish of Egypt, and its rice, lentils, and pasta, with onions and spices. Then that’s a plate of Ful medames. Fava beans and etc. Point is, eat.” He shook his head in disappointment while we dug in slowly.

“Oh, that’s carbs.” Taecyeon groaned, rubbing his abs in agreement with his sister while Geb narrowed his eyes at them.

“Boy if you don’t eat the damn food….” He started and I burst out laughing when they immediately grabbed a fork.

“Alright! Geez.”

"Wait, I thought you were broke." I glared at the earth god and he looked confused.

"I don't recall saying that." He shrugged and we all facepalmed.

After a quick stop to eat, Geb quickly took us to a dark alleyway and teleported us to the current location of Tao, which happened to be a dark cold hallway, lit with red torches. As we walked further into it we heard loud thumping and turned to each other in confusion, running into a large room and in the center was a giant sphinx. It looked like an exact replica of the stone Great Sphinx of Giza and we frowned at the sight of Tao dodging a giant paw, while the girls hid behind pillars.

Author POV

“What in the Duat! Where are the others?!” Geb yelled, grabbing Tao and pulling him into safety.

“What happened!” You yelled in confusion and Tao grunted.

“Well …” He started, grabbing his staff off the floor.

Flashback~

Tao, Gyuri, and Kali watched uneasily as Sooyoung talked and joked with the humans about Egyptian attractions when the bus stopped. They all unboarded and were met with a dark looking tomb entrance. Sooyoung ushered everyone in to follow her and the demigod trio looked at each other with a frown crossing their faces.

“This feels like a setup,” Kali said glancing around, and Tao looked behind him for their group supposedly waiting and found no one, just vast desert.

“And we are going in blind.” He mumbled, and they followed the group of humans, only to reach a large throne room of some kind.

“Welcome.” On the throne sat no other than Set with a menacing grin on his face.

The tourists all thought he was the product of new technology until they noticed their young tour guide, kneeling on the side of them. The demigods were less concerned though about their rival and more about the glistening red piece in front of them on Set’s neck.

“I’ve brought sacrifices in your honor, my Lord.” She said loudly and he smirked, getting up and grabbing one of the tourists and as he opened his mouth, a white essence was drawn out of their body down his throat.

“STOP!” Gyuri yelled and they all pulled their weapons out making him laugh while Sooyoung made her escape amongst the panicking mortals.

“Little demigods...I can smell your parents on you.” He smirked, advancing slowly before frowning at Tao who’s grip on his black and ivory staff tightened.

Khe--” Tao remembered the Divine words his father used but before he could finish, his own clothes started to attack him.

“Shut your mouth, you filthy half breed.” He growled and with a wave of his hand, Tao’s scarf wrapped around his neck and mouth.

With a snap of his fingers, the floor opened up beneath them, and they fell through into the lair of the Sphinx, with Set glaring down at their groaning forms. They paid him no heed though as they were preoccupied with helping Tao breathe. The floor closed above them, and as Kali cut the scarf to shreds, they felt the ground shake and noticed the looming beast above them.

“That can’t be good.” Gyuri groaned as they ran out of from under it.

Flashback End~

“And here we are!” Tao frowned, glaring at the Sphinx, prowling around looking for them.

“Well, what do we do?” You asked with a frown, unsheathing your khopesh.

“Answer the riddles.” Taeyeon and Geb said at the same time.