Chapter 18

60 Seconds

I went to my shop as usual. I was thinking, by doing what I loved, I can let out my stress. Furthermore, I have no fix reason to not open it. I took a deep, long breath. Then I carved a smile. I have to be strong.
From far, I can see a glimpse of someone standing in front of my shop. Ah, who else? I took a long, fast steps.
"Good morning, Lay-ah."
"Good morning," replied Lay.
I smiled. Then I took out a key from my bag. I could feel that he was staring at me. I peeped using the corner of my eye. As I finished opening the door, I cleared my throat then looked at him.
He was shocked. Then he grinned. He quickly went into the shop. I shook, following his steps.
"Lay-ah," I called gently.
He turned back. He went scarlet. I was thinking, if only I didn't look at him just now, will he be that scarlet? Obviously, he was embarrassed.
"Er, do you want to ask me something?"
"Huh? Oh, do I look like I want to ask you something?"
"Don't you?"
He went silent. So am I. We both were freaking silly, I guess.
"Well you know me better than myself. Er, are you okay?"
Finally, he broke the silence. I looked at him. I braved myself as I was thinking, I was not brave enough.
"I knew you want to ask me something. You know what? I think the same which I know you better than yourself. Lay-ah, can't you run from asking me that typical question? You have asked me for the third time! Can you tell me how much will you ask? Oh, until you get my answer? You know my answer. If you are not sick asking me the same question, I want you to know that I'm sick to answer it! I..."
"What are you talking about? Oh, I got you. You don't want me to know your problem. That is it. Well never mind. If this is the way you appreciate our friendship, then thanks. I appreciate it a lot!" he yelled.
"Who are you to estimate my appreciation towards our friendship? You are nobody. REALLY NOBODY," I said, pressing the last words.
He was shocked. I by myself as well was shocked for what had I said. Darn it! My pool eyes were glistening with tears.
"Lay-ah," I called. "I know..."
He was left. I was startled. Congratulations, you have got him angry. You have got him offended with you. Congratulations!
My tears flowed down on my cheeks. Terrible! I have never been fought with him. I cried to the counter. My fault, my fault. I have no right to say such things. I was cruel. Yes, I was cruel.
'It is true I don't want to be your brother-in-law. But, I wish to be your special person... in your life... although, for hundred thousand years coming.'
I closed my eyes tightly. But, the more I do that, the more my tears flowing down on my cheeks. If only I was careful with my words, I will not hurting him. Pabo!

***

Youkyung

I trudged to my locker. Take a note, I went alone. Yes! I'm alone. Well I like to be alone. I never care about it. I don't like to be conspicuous. For me, a friendship really need patience and trust. I'm not a patient person. Obviously, friendship equal me... the answer is no!
After taking my Essay book, I closed and locked my locker. As I was about to walk to class, I heard someone was calling my name. I turned but, not turning my back - by any means, I only turned my head. Ah, it was Dasom.
"Boya?"
"Wait up. I want to walk with you."
My eyebrows joined together. I looked mystified. What? She wants to walk with me? By any means, abreast with me? Hold on there. I don't want! I left her. But, she managed to chase me. I sighed. We both walked abreast.
"Finally, I got a chance to walk with you.. Erm, I wonder, you are early today," she said cheerfully. I glanced at her, boring. "Oh, maybe I'm late."
I was silent. She looked so happy, as she managed to win over a hot guy's heart and got a chance to walk with him.
"Youkyung-ssi, don't you want to ask me anything that crossed your mind?"
I was starting to get sick with her. I stopped. She did so. She carved a smile. I sighed as I was boring with her.
"Firstly, I'm not interested. Secondly, I'm not interested. And thirdly, I'm not interested," I said firmly.
"But, I just want to be your friend. Is that wrong? Can't you see that as a noble intention?"
"Yes. So what you expect me to do? Listen, I don't like to be your friend. I hate to get hurt because I have felt it from my surroundings and you don't know how hurt it was to me!" I yelled.
"Don't say like you were the only person in this world had experienced that! If you said I don't know how hurt it was to you, you were wrong. I have experienced so much bitter experiences and I grown well with them," she paused. I gaped. Her pool eyes were glistening with tears. "Experience is never haunting us. But, experience gives us a space for us to fix the past."
I shuddered. It was the first time I got such a precious words to me. Without I realise, my tears flowed down on my cheeks.
"Youkyung-ssi, let's fix together. Don't keep it by yourself. Let me know once you are ready," she said then walked away.
I was startled. I leaned against the wall behind me. I cried, ignoring the students who were passing by. I never thought that I was selfish. Yes, the cruel of me.