In the Aftermath

Dark Lake Academy

N walked through his damaged room, looking for anything that had survived the fire. Suho and the other water users – witches, warlocks, other dragons, and nymphs – had managed to save the dorms, but significant damage had still been done.

“The dorms will require a lot of repairs,” Minji said with a sad smile as she looked around the group of gathered students, “but no one died, so we should take comfort in that.”

“The ISBIP will be paying for new dorms,” Jihu said, joining Minji where she was standing, “we’ll take down the old buildings and put up new ones.”

“Find anything?” Leo asked, a small bag in his hand containing everything he could salvage from his own room.

“A few things,” N nodded, lifting up a couple of things, “I left most of my important stuff back at the foster home, so it’s not like I’ve lost much.”

“Same,” Leo nodded, “wish I could say the same about the others.”

“While the building is still stable,” Jihu announced, “we’ll be sending in groups of students. You can salvage what you can, I know some of you have important things in your rooms you don’t want to lose.”

“Kris?” N sighed sadly, knowing that the dragon probably kept his whole life in his room, “and Sori, Hyuna, and Hyoyeon?”

“Yeah,” Leo nodded turning slightly to look out at Kris sitting on the couch.

“I didn’t lose anything too important,” Kris suddenly called out, “I’ll be fine. Not like my most important things were in my room anyway.”

“You mean Sori?” N asked, gathering the last of his stuff and joining Kris in the living room.

“And Hyuna and Yuri,” the dragon nodded, hugging a small dragon plushy to his chest, “they’re all alright and that’s what matters.”

“I know a lot of you are wondering where you’ll be sleeping,” Minji explained, trying to sound hopeful, “the staff are setting up beds in the indoor auditorium right now. Until we can get new dorms built, you’ll be sleeping there.”

“What?” one of the students yelled, “you expect us to stay here? After everything that’s happened?”

“What do you think is going to happen now?” Luhan asked, joining the others, “Minji is calling parents right now.”

“I have no idea,” Kris admitted, “after hearing about a fire, a lot of them are going to come here and drag their kids out. No one is going to let their child stay here. The supernatural parents will be worse than the human ones.”

“Right,” N agreed, “they’ll know about the attack on Sori, right?”

“And if they dig enough,” Leo added, “they’ll find out about Yuri. And the attack where Kris was shot. They’ll know something is really wrong.”

“What about you, Kris?” Luhan asked, “What will they do with you? And everyone else who’s either an agent or a ward of the ISBIP?”

“Suho, Hyoyeon, and I will probably end up trying to hunt these attackers down,” Kris sighed, “and we’ll end up dead since we’ll be alone.”

“They can’t send you out alone!” N cried, “they can’t!”

“But they will,” Kris growled, not at N but at the situation, “there are schools all over the world just like Dark Lake. What happens here isn’t all that special in the grand scheme of things when you know what happens at all those other schools.”

“What do you mean?” Luhan asked, apparently as out of the loop as N and Leo.

“Last year,” Kris explained, “there was a serial killer around one of the American supernatural school. He was drawing attention to the school, putting everyone at risk. It was a big problem and Suho and I were tasked with removing him. We had a whole team, at least twenty six other agents. By the time the mission was done, only ten were left standing including us. Things like that are big deals to the higher ups at the ISBIP.”

“And what’s happened here isn’t?” N cried, clearly outraged.

“It hasn’t threatened to expose our kind to the world yet,” Luhan explained, catching on to what Kris was talking about, “they can explain away the explosion as a bad gas line. The attacks on Sori, Yuri, and Kris will never be talked about with the human parents because you’d have to explain about supernatural to do it.”

“Exactly,” Kris nodded, “they only give a when it puts most of our kind in jeopardy.”

“What’s going on will put our kind in jeopardy!” N yelled.

“Not yet.”

All four turned to find Jihu standing in the doorway. The teens froze, trying to figure out how to handle the situation. Jihu now knew something big was going on and that they knew and didn’t tell him. who knew what he was going to do now.

“Jihu,” Kris said, “I can explain.”

“I already know,” Jihu sighed, “you can’t hide things from me, Kris. I’ve known you for too long.”

“Are you mad?” Kris asked, looking down in shame.

“No,” Jihu smiled slightly, “I’m actually proud of how you handled things.”

“Really?” Jihu nodded and Kris smiled.

“If you’ve got everything,” Jihu said, “come with me. I’ve got the agents I trust gathering the others. We’re going to talk about what we do now.”

“What are we going to do now?” N asked as the four fell into step behind the werewolf.

“I’m not sure, but I can’t let you all be split up,” Jihu sighed, “it’s easy to do something about that when it comes to Sori, Hyuna, Yuri, Suho, Hyoyeon, and Kris. I can do something about N, Leo, and the boys, too.”

“Really?” Leo questioned, “What?”

“I can get you all transferred into the ISBIP’s care,” Jihu said, “you’ll be under my care directly and anything they want to do with you will have to be run by me.”

“You can do that?” N questioned, not sure how he felt hearing that.

“I can,” Jihu nodded, “that’s the easiest part of all of this.”

“Because we don’t have parents, right?” N wasn’t sure if he wanted to smile or what.

“Yeah,” Jihu replied honestly, “dealing with the parents of the other kids will be a challenge.”

“In some cases,” Kris said, “you should be able to talk to Baekhyun, Xiumin, Chanyeol, Lina, and Lay’s parents, too. Sehun’s parents probably wouldn’t care if you wanna take him.”

“Kai and Chen’s dad wouldn’t let you do anything, though,” Luhan frowned, “Tao might finally have to tell his mother.”

“Think that will change anything?” Leo asked.

“We’ve always told him she’ll accept him no matter what,” Kris shrugged, “but he’s scared. If she knows everything, she might let him come with us.”

“Jessica and Krystal’s parents will refuse,” Luhan supplied, “same with Heesun’s family. And D.O’s parents can never know about what he is, what we are. Same with my dad.”

“Taking in N and the boys isn’t as easy as it sounds either,” Jihu frowned.

“Why?” N asked, “What’s wrong?”

“Well,” Jihu sighed, “if we take you in, make you charges of the ISBIP, that means you’ll be in the system.”

“So?” N questioned, not yet seeing the problem.

“The councils will know about you,” Kris explained, “the shifter council will try to control Ravi’s life and the werewolves will do the same to Hyuk unless they become agents. And that’s just for starters. There are more problems than just that.”

“What else?” Leo asked.

“When you’re put into the system,” Jihu said, “we have to enter in what type of supernatural you are. That spot cannot be left blank. If you don’t know what you are, they’ll run tests to find out.”

“They’ll find out what I am,” N summarized.

A/N: What are they going to do next? How will the group keep from being slip up? The answers shall come next chapter!!