What you are

Dark Lake Academy

“Aren’t we hear because we’re troubled kids?” some kid with shaggy black hair, lots of piercings in his ears, and a couple of visible tattoos scoffed.

“No,” a girl laughed, “god, you really don’t know, do you?” While she lacked the piercings and tattoos that the boy had, the silver and gold highlights in her hair made her look just as weird.

“Know what?” the boy growled.

“Children,” Minji called, regaining their attention, “will everyone please come closer. It’s much easier to talk to you all when you aren’t scattered around the room.” she then turned to the man beside her. “Please get Sori, I think I might need her assistance.” The man nodded before leaving, the other people men in suits similar to his following like ducklings. After watching them go, everyone moved closer to Minji.

“So why are we here?” the same boy as before asked, his expression daring Minji to say he was wrong.

“Some of you already know this,” the woman replied, “but each and every one of you is a supernatural.”

Several teens burst out laughing. N and Ken joined them, Leo and Ravi scoffed, and Hongbin was just about to start laughing himself when he noticed Hyuk’s expression. It was like the younger was happy to hear what Hongbin viewed as a lie, like it answered some kind of big question about his life or something.

Did Hyuk know something he didn’t? Had the younger not told him something? There was no way, Hyuk told Hongbin everything. He always had. Hyuk couldn’t have kept something a secret, not from Hongbin. But seeing the look on Hyuk’s face made Hongbin doubt that belief a little.

“Yeah right,” a girl with pretty brown eyes and matching brown hair laughed, “we’re supernaturals. You’re joking.”

“She’s not kidding,” everyone turned to find Sori – the Sori from the bus – strolling into the room, “and she’s not crazy.”

“This is Shin Sori,” Minji introduced, “she’s a shape shifter. And one of the strongest at our school.”

“Oh really?” the first boy scoffed, “then why doesn’t she change into something?”

“Name the animal and I will,” Sori shrugged, coming to stand beside Minji.

“Unicorn,” the boy laughed, “just as fake as your supernatural bull.”

“You got it,” Sori shrugged gain. Shimmering light started to appear, encasing her body in a blinding white light. When the light faded, a horse with a horn stood in the same spot Hyorin had been standing it.

Several teens gasped, staring with wide eyes as the unicorn before them shook out its mane. The laugher N and Ken had earlier died as their eyes locked onto the horse. Ken remembered an incident earlier that year when he’d been fighting with Ravi over who ate the last cookie. It had been a bad day for the older, so he’d gotten very angry with the younger. Ken had waved his hand and the next thing he knew he was looking at a frog instead of Ravi. As fast as it had happened, Ravi was back and Ken was convinced his mind was just playing trick on him, especially since Ravi didn’t remember anything. Now, Ken was starting to second guess himself.

N was remembering something, too. The reason he’d been sent to Dark Lake; the strange guy who kept following him everywhere that no one else could see. Leo sat straighter in his chair, the image of a unicorn hitting a little too close to home after seeing the image of a black horse with a mane of fire so often in his dreams. Looking at Sori now, his mind recalled every detail of the fire horse. It felt like some part of him was trying to say that this was what he was, that he wasn’t any more human than Sori was.

Ravi held onto his chair tightly, his knuckles turning white with the force. Looking at Sori, some part of him felt a kinship, a sence of belonging stronger than anything he’d felt. It was like a part of him was saying that this was home, that Sori was family. Hyuk smiled a little, relieved and happy that he was in a place where there were other people like him.

Hongbin sat, stunned, as his mind recalled a few months prior when Hyuk had fallen down the stairs. Checking the boy over, Hongbin had been convinced Hyuk’s arm was broken until he’d touched it. No one believed him and he’d even managed to convince himself that he was wrong, but now the thought returned and he couldn’t brush it off as easily this time.

“No way,” the tattoo boy charged forwards, grabbing hold of her mane and pulling, “. It’s real.”

“Of course it’s real,” the horse rolled it’s eyes, Sori’s voice escaping its mouth, “please stop pulling on my mane, it hurts.” The boy pulled away, falling into his seat.

“You can change back now,” Minji told the shape shifter girl who did exactly that, fixing her clothing once she’d returned to her human form.

“What am I?” Hyuk found himself asking, even though he already had a good idea about what he was.

“A werewolf,” Minji said before turning her attention to the other teens who didn’t know what they were. The tattooed boy was a vampire. The girl with silver and gold highlights was a witch – something she already knew apparently – and the one with blond hair was a nymph just like Minji. Leo was a nightmare, Hongbin a fairy, Ravi a shape shifter, and Ken a warlock.

“What about me?” N asked, both scared and curious.

“We don’t know yet,” Minji told him with a frown before turning to Sori, “please take the other students to the front hall. Explain to them how our school functions and show them to the dorms. I wish to speak with Mr. Cha for a little.”

“Yes,” Sori nodded before waving everyone but N to follow her. As she passed him, she patted N’s shoulder as if to comfort him.  As everyone left, Sori heard Minji explaining about how supernaturals could sence other supernatural.

“Why don’t they know what hyung is?” Hyuk asked, falling into step with her.

“All supernaturals can sence other supernaturals,” she explained, “it’s like we can see their aura and that tells us what they are. All supernaturals and humans have an aura, but your hyung doesn’t have one.”

“Only supernaturals can see another person’s aura,” the silver and gold haired girl added, “you guys who just found out what you are will learn how to do it time.”

“What’s your name?” Sori asked the girl, turning around and walking backwards.

“I’m Kim Sooyoung,” the girl smiled, “and you’re Shin Sori, one of the most powerful shape shifters in the world.”

“I’m not that strong,” Sori rolled her eyes. In truth, most considered her to be in the top 5 for strongest shape shifter in the world, but she didn’t think so. Not because she was being humble, she just thought that there had to be a bunch of shape shifters more powerful than an eighteen year old girl. There had to be more than four shifters stronger than her in the whole freaking world.

“Whoa!” Ravi muttered to himself, clearly impressed at how strong Sori apparently was. Maybe he should go to her to help him control his own shape shifting abilities. He paused. Was he really buying into this whole supernatural creature story? Well, he had seen Sori change into a unicorn right in front of his eyes. And the vampire dude – Taeyang – had pulled her mane to make sure it was real.

“Let’s keep going,” Sori sighed, turning to walk normally, “while you’re here, you’re all expected to attend all of your classes. Half your classes will be normal stuff, like English and math, while the rest will focus on helping you control your gifts. In your normal classes, you’ll be with a mix of other students your age, but in your gift specific classes you’ll only be with students who share your abilities. For example, all students with the ability to fly, like dragons and fallen, will have a class together. All of these classes will change every couple of days in order to fit in all necessary classes, so remember to check your schedules.”

“So I’ll never get to have a class with Sori unnie,” Sooyoung frowned, “.”

“How many other vampires are there?” Taeyang asked.

“Around three dozen,” Sori replied, “I would suggest you ask D.O for advice. He’s like you, a turned. He’s in room 413 of the boy’s dorm along with Tao, another vampire.”

“Sweet,” Taeyang grinned.

“What about werewolves?” Hyuk found himself asking. He’d been turning in secret for a while, but now he wouldn’t have to hide it. Now he could go to other werewolves and ask them for help and advice.

“Kim Jongdae and Jongin are werewolves,” Sori told him, “you met them on the bus. Jongin is roommates with D.O and Tao. Jongdae is the floor above in room 501. Additionally, my roommate Lee Heesun is a werewolf. We’re in room of the girls’ dorm 310.”

“Right across the hall from me,” Sooyoung giggled.

“Foresight?” Sori question, getting a nod from the younger girl, “thought so. How far?”

“Only a few minutes,” Sooyoung seemed to lose some of her excitement at that, clearly upset that it wasn’t something more impressive. Her mood picked right back up however when Sori called her gift ‘impressive’. Ravi wondered why the thirteen year old was fangirling so hard over Sori. Was she some kind of big deal in the supernatural world?

“Do you know Sori or something?” he asked her when they reached the front hall and Sori started announcing who was in what room.

“No,” Sooyoung smiled sadly, “but my parents told me a lot about her. They met her once at the ISBIP offices, but before that she’d been the talk of the supernatural world. Not many shape shifters start shifting at three, just the super powerful ones. They told me how strong she was, how much control she had for such a young age. I want to be just like her. My own spells are, well, destructive. I want to have control over my magic just like she has control over her shifting.” Ravi nodded before heading over to his friends.

“We’re roommates,” Hongbin told him before Sori instructed everyone to follow her to the dorms on the other side of the campus.

“Here’s the dorms,” Sori called out, pointing to the massive buildings in front of the group, “the building on the left is the girl’s dorm, the one on the right is the boy’s dorm. The first floor is the common area, compete with a living room, kitchen and anything else you could need. You’ll find your class schedules in your rooms.”

“What if we still need help?” the nymph girl – Taeyeon – asked, “do we go to you for help? And what if we can’t find you?”

“You can come to me for help,” Sori nodded, “but if you can’t find me, just ask one of the older students or someone else who’s been here before.”

“And what if they aren’t friendly?” Hongbin asked, “what if they don’t want to help us?”

“Then find Minji,” she shrugged, “just keep asking. But don’t ask for help from those guys in the black suits.”

“You mean the ISBIP agents?” Sooyoung asked, “Why are they even here?”

“Don’t know,” Sori shrugged, “but try and stay clear of them. They’re always trying to recruit new agents.”

“What is this ISBIP?” Ken asked.

“They’re like the FBI of the supernatural world,” Sooyoung explained before Sori could say anything, “Only they serve the whole world. They even have a foster care system for supernatural children. Sori was part of it.”

“Yes,” the older girl frowned, “and so were several other students around here. But that’s not the point. The point is don’t let them recruit you. Don’t talk to them, don’t look at them. If you’re walking down a hall and see them, turn around and go the other way. You’re here to learn how to control your powers, get an education, and learn how to live in the real world with humans. Not get turned into a spy or secret agent.” No one missed how quickly Sori had shut down all foster care talk.

“She’s not saying something,” Leo muttered, earning nods of agreements from his friends.

“All the same, I’m going to listen to her advice,” Hongbin shrugged.

“You better,” Leo frowned slightly.

“Go find your rooms,” Sori told them, “there aren’t going to be any classes today, so feel free to look around. Remember, I’m in room 310. Some other students who can help are rooms 200, 413, 501, and 619.” Ken and Leo looked up after hearing their own dorm rooms. They could get help from their own roommates? Well, that was convenient.

A/N: if anyone is interested, I can post a ‘who is in which room’ list.