Night Time Talks. Important Author's Note at the end

Dark Lake Academy

“I think Sori is the target,” N said as soon as Kris walked into their dorm.

“What?” Kris blinked in confusion before he realized what N was talking about, “what did your ghost say? When did your ghost say it?”

“As we were walking back to the dorms,” N explained as the pair entered Kris’ room so they could talk without being overheard, “he said she was going to be hurt.”

“It is logical that someone would be going after her,” Kris frowned slightly, “what better target then one of the five most powerful shifters in the world? And if they know she’s going to be joining the council, that makes it even better.”

“We need to do something,” N started to pace the floor, “we can’t let whoever is after her do something to hurt her.”

“Btu we can’t let her know,” Kris replied, “she’ll do something stupid of she knows.”

“Like?”

“Like make herself a bigger target so that the killer comes out of hiding sooner,” the dragon growled in annoyance at the very idea of Sori doing something like that.

“So we have to keep an eye on her without her noticing,” N frowned slightly, “how do we do that. This is Sori after all, she’ll figure out that something is up.”

“That’s why you’re useful,” Kris smirked slightly, “she’s your bodyguard for now, right?”

“How do you know that?” N turned to face Kris, slightly alarmed that the other knew.

“Yuri,” he shrugged in reply, “Hyuna and I got her to spill. Then I went to Jihu and told him that I’d watch your back when the end of the month comes.”

“Thanks,” N smiled slightly, grateful to know that he had someone else who knew what he was.

“No problem,” Kris patted N’s shoulder, “and don’t worry about Sori. Just stay near her and keep an eye out for trouble. I can help you figure out how to make use of your dragon powers because our scales are bullet proof. That will probably be useful for protecting her.”

“Right,” N smiled again, kind of excited at the idea of learning how to use his powers.

“And we’ll tell Hyuna and Yuri in the morning,” Kris added, “they have a right to know.” N just nodded, turning to leave the room only to pause before he could actually leave.

“Kris?”

“Yeah?”

“Did you really date Sori?” N asked, turning around so he could face Kris once more.

“Yeah,” Kris nodded, “from the time we were fourteen until about this time last year. But like I said before, it was off and on. One week we were dating, the next week we were just friend. At one point we were just buddies.”

“Why?” N asked, taking a seat on the end of Kris’ bed.

“No idea,” Kris shrugged, “we’re great friends, but we’re a pretty crappy couple. Half the time I was gone with Jihu, training to be a ISBIP agent. The other half of the time we spent dealing with our issues.”

“Issues?” from what N could tell, Kris didn’t have any issues. Sori had a few – mostly revolving around her ability to tell people things being so bad – but not enough to mess up a relationship.

“My parents didn’t even wait for my first birthday before giving me up,” Kris explained, “and after getting bounced around from foster home to foster home, I’m not that great at commitments. It’s always there in the back of my mind that someone’s going to abandon me. Doesn’t matter how close I am to Sori or Suho, it’s still there.”

“But you know that they’re not going to leave you,” N argued, “so why?”

“What about you?” Kris countered, “Aren’t you terrified that you’ll do something, mess up in some way, and your friends will leave you? You’ve know Leo for a long time, right? But the thought is still there that one day you’ll up and he’ll leave you.”

“Yeah,” N nodded. He’d never given it much thought, but he did worry that he’d mess up and is friends would leave him just like his parents had.

“Sori and I are both like that,” Kris continued, “we don’t want to trust people because we’re afraid that they’ll betray us. We don’t want to fall in love because it will hurt that much more when the one we love leaves. We probably only got together in the first place because our demons matched.”

“Wouldn’t that make you perfect for each other?” N asked even though a part of him hated admitting that.

“Not really,” Kris sighed, falling back onto the bed, “it’s like Suho told me when we broke up for the last time. When you’re in a relationship with someone, they should make you want to be a better person. Become better, stronger. Overcome your damage. With Sori, we were more than happy to stay just as we were. It was easy that way, but there was no growth.”

“But do you love her?” N really hated himself for asking that. He was pretty sure he was starting to fall for Sori, so why did he want to know if Kris loved her? If Kris loved her, then that was it. N stood no chance with Sori if that was the case.

“Like a sister,” Kris replied after a moment, “for a while I did love her, that’s why we dated, but now? Now I see her as a sister. Just like Yuri and Hyuna.” N nodded, trying not to look too happy about hearing that.

“I should get some sleep,” N finally said, getting up, “got a long day of watching Sori tomorrow.” Kris laughed slightly before waving N off.

Once in his own room, n tried to focus on calling his ghost. Minji said he should be able to do it, so he thought that he would give it a try. If it worked, then he could use the opportunity to question his ghost about what he had said. He’d said that Sori would get hurt. That, along with the interest the ghost had already taken in the shifter, lead N to believe that Sori was the target of the attack.

But there was a part of him that disagreed. It seemed too easy. Which was stupid, how could that be too easy? It all fit together so well. Sori was a perfect target because of how powerful she was. Plus the council’s interest in her was the frosting on the cupcake. It all fit together like a puzzle.

So why did N get the feeling that he was missing something?

N opened his eyes when he felt the cold wrapping around him, but couldn’t find his ghost anywhere. The blasted ghost had to be there, he could feel it. Sehun had mentioned something about this once. Ghosts could hide themselves if they so wanted and ghost whisperers couldn’t do anything about it. it was annoying, but he’d just have to live with it and see if he could make the ghost want to appear.

“I think I know who they want to kill,” N said, “it’s Sori, right?”

She’s going to be hurt,” the ghost’s voice seemed to come from everywhere, echoing in N’s ears.

“So she is the target?” N asked, “please tell me what you mean. I need to know so I can protect her.”

I don’t want her to be hurt,” the ghost spoke again without appearing, “that’s why I came to you. I knew you could see me. I knew you would come here. I knew that you would meet her if you came here. That’s why I picked you.”

“That doesn’t answer my question,” N tried not to yell in frustration.

They know I’ve been talking to you,” the ghost’s voice was scared this time, “they’re trying to keep me away. They don’t want you to find out their plan. They don’t want her to know either. That’s why she has to die, she can stop their plan before it starts.”

“What is their plan?” N felt himself getting more than a little scared now. Was this bigger than one attack on Dark Lake? Were there going to be more attacks to come? Would more lives be at stake?

They’re coming!” the ghost yelled, so loud that N feared that his eardrums would burst.

And then the cold was gone.

Unlike all the other times, it as there one moment and gone the next. Al the other times, it had faded away slowly and left a faint chill in N’s body. Could this have something to do with what the ghost’s last words were? Was there a way to stop ghosts from visiting ghost whisperers?

N sighed, falling back against his bed.  Curling up in a ball, hugging his pillow, he let to worry over what the ghost had said fester and grow. Was the ghost just confused? He’d defiantly been confused last week when he appeared while N was in the shower, raving about some childhood memory and calling N ‘big brother.’ Was this another confusion of facts? Or was this the truth?

N knew Sori had told him to never regret his gifts, but he couldn’t help it. He wasn’t ready for a gift like this, for knowledge like this. N didn’t want to have the kind of information that could get someone killed if he didn’t understand it. He wanted a gift like Ravi. Being able to control people’s dreams like a director was way better than this.

A/N:I think I just destroyed all chance of Kris and Sori every getting together. Sorry to all those people who wanted that pairing.

Now to the important things. I’m a bit (more like a lot) writer’s blocked on this story right now, so I’m going to be taking a couple of weeks off so that I can get the ideas flowing again. It's like, I know what I want to do, put actually putting it in writing it? Not working out too well. Don’t worry, it will only be for a couple of weeks, and then I’ll be back updating like normal.