Magic Class

Dark Lake Academy

Ken really didn’t understand why he had to learn the history of the different types of magic. Yet here he was, sitting between Baekhyun and Sooyoung, while his teacher went on and on about the known history of the nine types of magic; Water, fire, earth, air, light, dark, time, metal, and transformation.

Ken could admit that that the spells associated with each type were cool, but the history behind them? Nope.

“Mr. Lee,” the teacher turned to face him, “I hope you’ve been playing close attention to this. Transformation magic is your main type after all.”

“Right, Mrs. Kim,” he nodded, “I’ve been taking notes. Lots of them.” Not really, no.

“Good,” Mrs. Kim smiled, but he could tell she didn’t believe him, “because I’m sure you’ll find this useful later.” The bell rang, causing the old witch to frown, “well, it appears we’re out of time for today. Tomorrow we’ll move onto light and dark magic. Mr. Byun, I expect you to take part in my lecture.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Baekhyun nodded, “I’ll do my best to help out.”

“Why do we need to know all of this?” Ken sighed as the group made their way back to their dorms, “does it really matter?”

“Yes,” Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sooyoung, and Lina all nodded.

“Knowing where the magic you use comes from helps us understand why it works the way it does,” Baekhyun explained, “knowing how you’re magic came to be helps with control, too.”

“I don’t see now,” Ken frowned.

“I can help you study, oppa,” Sooyoung offered, “I know everything about transformation magic.”

“Isn’t your main magic fire?” Chanyeol asked, “Why do you know so much about transformation?”

“Because my mom uses transformation magic,” the thirteen year old shrugged, “she really hoped that I would inherit it as my main magic, so she made sure I knew everything about it.”

“I wish I had fire based magic,” Ken frowned, “I bet it’s way ore useful in a fight than transformation magic.”

“Not true,” Lina patted his shoulder, “with your magic, you could turn your enemy into a lamp or a chair. The battle would be over really quickly.”

“But what if I can’t turn them back?” he replied, “then they’d be stuck like that forever.”

“Then you learn all you can,” Chanyeol countered, “gosh, you get so worried about what could go wrong sometimes.”

“Something will only go wrong if you think it will,” Baekhyun added, “you’re control is already great, so don’t worry.”

“I wish my control was that good,” Sooyoung sighed, too quiet for the others to hear. But Chanyeol noticed her expression and patted her shoulder.

“Don’t you worry either,” he smiled down at her, “you’re control is pretty good for someone so young and powerful.”

“Thank you, oppa,” she smiled slightly before a look of horror appeared on her face.

“What’s wrong?” Ken started to ask, but was cut off by Sooyoung screaming. The young girl then took off in the direction of the flying training grounds, shouting Kris’ name as she went.

The others didn’t waste any time before taking off after her. Whatever future event she’d glimpsed had to be bad and they weren’t going to brush it off as nothing. Not with everything else going on. They might not know exactly what was going on, but they had enough clues – warnings from ghosts given to N and Sehun, Kai getting beat up, the ISBIP agents running around – to know that it was something big.

“Hyung!” Baekhyun yelled when he saw Kris laying on the ground gripping his left shoulder. The sleeve of the elder’s shirt was already starting to turn red and Ken felt his heart freeze in fear.

“Kris!” Sori’s voice pulled Ken back into reality. Ken wasn’t that super close to Kris, but Sori was and that meant she was in a much worse state when she saw that Kris was hurt.

“I’m fine,” Kris growled, getting to his feet with the help of Suho, “I’ll be alight.”

“What happened?” Jihu yelled, running out onto the field with Hyoyeon and the other shifters right behind him.

“Something shot me,” Kris frowned, trying to get a good look at his shoulder as Sori pulled his shirt away from the wound so she could look as well, “I think it came from the direction of the auditorium.”

“How did this happen?” Suho asked, “I thought we tightened security after Jaesun showed up.”

“We did,” Jihu nodded, “I approved the new system myself.”

“Well someone beat the new system,” Sori frowned, “we’ll just have to review everything.”

“Agreed,” the ISBIP agent nodded, taking a look at Kris’ shoulder himself, “Kris, get to the medical building now. Sori, I want you and Suho to get everyone back to their dorm rooms. Quickly, I don’t want to take a chance that the shooter is still here.”

“What are you going to do?”  Hyoyeon asked, “and what do you want me to do?”

“I’m going to try sniffing them out,” he frowned, lifting his nose into the air with the hope of catching an unfamiliar scent, “Hyoyeon, I want you to report this to Minji, then to the ISBIP. Make sure to get her ok on what you tell them. I don’t want a bunch of agents charging in here making things worse.”

“Right,” she nodded before running off.

“I can help,” Kris said, refusing to leave until Jihu glared at him. The glare promised a big punishment if he refused, so Kris gave in and headed for the medical building. Super powerful dragon or not, Jihu could easily take Kris down so he had to respect the werewolf’s orders.

“I’ll take the fields,” Sori told Suho, “you cover the classrooms.” He nodded and the two split up.

“Get out of here,” Jihu yelled at the students mulling around the field, “get to your dorms and stay there until you’re told otherwise.”

“Let’s go,” Baekhyun said, pulling Sooyoung and Ken away while Chanyeol did the same with Lina.

“How did a shooter get in here?” the taller fallen hissed, looking around with a hard expression, “I thought Kris hyung and Sori noona checked everything.”

“They did,” Baekhyun nodded, “and Suho hyung and Hyoyeon noona double and tripled checked.”

“How did someone get in?” Lina asked, looking around fearfully before huddling closer to Chanyeol.

“I don’t know,” he frowned, “and I don’t know why someone would take a shot at Kris either.”

“Something really big is going on,” Baekhyun frowned, glaring at the ground, “and I’m sick of being out of the loop.”

“Same here,” Ken nodded, “I want to know what’s going on and I want to know now.”

“What happened?” they all turned to find N running over to them with Sehun not far behind.

“Hyoyeon ran into the office and told Minji she had to talk to her alone,” Sehun added, “she looked scared. What happened?”

“Kris hyung got shot,” Baekhyun said.

Upon hearing this, N fell to his knees. Was this what his ghost had warned him about? Was Kris dead because he hadn’t understood the ghost’s warning soon enough?

“He got hit in the shoulder,” Ken told his hyung, “don’t worry, he’s still alive. He just headed to the medical building to get it looked at.”

“Thank goodness,” Sehun sighed, “I was worried there for a second.”

“What do you know, Sehun?” Lina asked, “N?”

“Nothing to worry about, noona,” Sehun just smiled, “just remembering my ghost’s warning. About death coming, remember? I thought it was way worse than it is.”

“You know something,” Chanyeol glared at the younger, “you know something important and you aren’t telling us. Just like Sori, Kris, Hyoyeon, Suho, and Yuri.”

“Honestly, I don’t,” Sehun frowned, “all I know is what my ghost has been telling me. What it all means? No idea. So don’t accuse me of keeping things from you when I’m just as much in the dark.”

“He isn’t lying,” Suho frowned, walking up to the group just in time to prevent Chanyeol and Sehun from getting into a fist fight.

“Hyung,” Baekhyun asked the older, “what’s going on?”

“We’ll tell you everything later,” Suho smiled sadly, “but for now, please get inside. I’ve already had one friend take a bullet today, I don’t need another.”

Nodding in agreement, everyone headed inside leaving Suho to his thoughts. Truth be told, he didn’t know much right now either.

A/N: so the conversation about main magic types would have taken place around chapter 5-6, but I was focused on Ravi and N at that time so I didn’t cover it when it happened. Since I couldn’t get it to fit in here without pushing Kris getting shot to the next chapter (which would mess up everything I have planned for that next chapter), I’m going to explain it now:

Saying that Ken’s main magic is transformation magic doesn’t mean he can’t use other types. It just means that transformation magic is his base skill, that he’s born able to turn a lamp into a fish or Ravi into a frog with little to no effort. Ken’s transformation magic will always be his strongest magic, no matter what other types he masters or spells he learns. Because it’s his strongest, it’s expected of him to know everything about transformation magic. As for Sooyoung, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Lina; Sooyoung is fire based (like it says in this chapter) but she also knows a little transformation magic (this is how she changes her hair colour). Baekhyun and Chanyeol are light magic based and Lina is dark magic based.

While I’m at it, I’ll talk about fallen, nymphs, and dragons a little ‘cuz fallen use magic and the other two do something close to it. I don’t know when it will come up and I’m sure someone will be wondering about it now. Fallen only know one type of magic – either light or dark – and that is dictated by the colour of their wings. The colour of their wings is totally random, so a fallen can have parents with white wings and end up with black wings. There is no science to explain this and it doesn’t play a role in their personality or if they’ll become evil or something.

Nymphs and dragons manipulate elements which is (obviously) different from casting spells. For example, Sooyoung uses fire magic and Kris manipulates fire. When she casts a fire spell, she has to either say or think a spell (although sometimes just waving her hand can cast a spell, but *waves hand in dismissive way* that’s pure accident and often ends badly). Kris just had to wave his hand and *bam* fire appears in his hand. From there, his just mentally commands it to do as he wants. No spells. No incantation. Just wave, boom, and blast. Nymphs and dragons can manipulate the following: Water, fire, earth, air, light, dark, and metal (very rare, but it does exist).