I LOVE YOU TOO CHAPTER 48

I Love You Too

 

 

CHAPTER 47 – HER PAST

 

No one ever talk about Sungmin’s relationship with Siwon anymore. No one even dare to say anything. They didn’t want Sungmin to get hurt again. Sungmin also has been trying her best to avoid that topic from swirling inside her head. She rather let the time heals everything.

 

But, after another week of a normal life, one day, something happen. Eunhyuk and Sungmin walked inside the venue hall, holding arms. Eunhyuk has a very proud smile on him when people turned and looked at his daughter’s beauty. He glanced beside him to boast but, he sees a depressed Sungmin instead.

 

“Baby girl?”

 

Sungmin flinched by the touch. She turned and noticed Eunhyuk looking at her worriedly.

 

“What’s wrong?” asked the father.

 

Sungmin stares and slowly shakes her head, “Nothing, appa.” She lied.

 

“Are you okay? Do you want to go home?” he questioned.

 

“No, appa.” Sungmin fast denied, “We just got here remember? We can’t just go home like that.”

 

“But, you…”

 

“I’m okay, appa.” Sungmin cuts him, “Come. Let’s search for your friends. This is your meeting right?” without waiting for Eunhyuk’s reply, she just pulls the man.

 

Eunhyuk sighed and followed. He knew something was wrong with Sungmin, even way before this. But, he didn’t want to bother her much so didn’t ask. He wanted Sungmin to tell him on her own when she’s ready. And judging from the girl’s attic, it will not be sooner. Sungmin was known to them to be very secretive. They then meet with Yunho and some other CEO that are his friends. They talked and time by time, Eunhyuk will glance at Sungmin to ensure she’s okay.

 

“Sunbae, is there something wrong? You’re okay?” asked Yunho noticing Eunhyuk’s actions towards Sungmin.

 

Eunhyuk sighed but nodded his head.

 

“I’m okay. It was just…I’m worried about Sungmin.” he exclaimed, truthfully.

 

“Sungmin? Why?” Yunho looked at the said person who was talking with his assistant, he didn’t see any difference than a normal Sungmin, “She looks fine.” He said.

 

“Yes, she looks fine.” Eunhyuk agreed, “But I didn’t see the normal Sungmin that I usually do. She’s been spacing a lot too.”

 

Yunho paused to think.

 

“Did she tell you anything?”

 

“And that’s the problem. Sungmin DIDN’T tell me anything. She loves to keep it all to herself remember?”

 

Yunho smiled awkwardly but he agreed nonetheless. He knew that part about Sungmin.

 

“Maybe she’s having a little problem. Give her time, sunbae. I’m sure she’ll be fine.” He said, consoling the worry elder.

 

Eunhyuk sighed, “Hope so.” he wished.

 

He didn’t want to admit it, but he really wish that Sungmin is okay. He really didn’t want anything bad happened to her, ever again. As the night get deeper, more people pooling inside the venue hall. Sungmin’s heart still feels empty. She actually didn’t want to come. But, because her umma is having a cold, she didn’t have the heart to let her appa go alone. So, she brave up herself to accompany him. And yet, she’s still afraid. She’s afraid of meeting Siwon again.

 

Sort of sensing her fear, the man that she didn’t want to see the most, expectantly appeared. Sungmin’s eyes widened looking at him because he was obviously not alone. He was with his parents and also…Sooyoung. Sungmin’s heart breaks watching it. She averted her eyes away and tried her best to keep away from Siwon. And yet, Siwon saw her. Siwon’s mother and Sooyoung also saw her. They smirked in victory noticing the shock on her.

 

“Look, mommy, it’s Lee Sungmin.” someone remarked at Sungmin when she was alone.

 

She turned and sees Sooyoung with Siwon’s mother.

 

“Hello…” Sungmin greeted them faintly.

 

“Hmph, what is a like you doing here?” asked the mother harshly breaking Sungmin’s heart, “Don’t you realize this meeting is for high-class people only? You are not suited here, .” She cursed.

 

“Yeah, she’s right. This is no place for a low status like you.” Sooyoung added, making Sungmin sadder.

 

“I’m sorry, but I have no business with you.” Sungmin apologize and walked away but to be stopped by them right away.

 

Siwon’s mother holds Sungmin by the arm and slightly pushed her towards the corner.

 

“Where do you think you’re going huh? I am still not finish with you.” she said.

 

“But I…”

 

“Shut up, Lee Sungmin!” Sooyoung spats, “Have you no manner? Didn’t your parents teach you to not run away when an elder is talking?”

 

Siwon’s mother snorted, “Don’t be angry Sooyoung dear, let her be. Only a acted like that, and she’s no different than one.” She cussed at Sungmin.

 

Sungmin was render silence. The mother and Sooyoung continued insulting her with harsh words with her silence. She wants to rebut to she didn’t know what to say. She’s was heartbroken enough. Siwon was there too, but he did nothing and it smashes Sungmin’s feelings even more to see him so different than before.

 

He no longer cares for you, Sungmin. She reprimanded herself.

 

“Should we expose her, mommy?” Sooyoung suddenly suggest, “A like her should not live so leisurely like this.”

 

“You’re right, Sooyoung dear.”

 

They smirked at each other. Sungmin already backed away, afraid of what they’re about to do. They took step forward getting closer to Sungmin. Siwon’s mother gripped on Sungmin’s arms tightly making her wince in pain.

 

“What are you doing? Let me go.” Sungmin told her.

 

“Should we throw you in the water?” she threatened and Sungmin’s face paled in white instantly.

 

She winced and tried to push the hand away, but Sooyoung came and grabbed her other hand, stopping her from struggling. They smirked evilly and pushed Sungmin bit by bit. But, just before anything happened, came an angry voice behind them.

 

“What are you doing?!” the women were all turned at the same time.

 

“Appa…” Sungmin cried for him desperately.

 

Eunhyuk’s eyes burned seeing the hard hold on his daughter. In flash, he pushed them away and shielded Sungmin behind him. Siwon’s mother almost tumbled down but quickly caught by Siwon.

 

“What the hell are you doing trying to do to my daughter?” he asked, but still controlled his voice as to not make any scene in the occasion.

 

The two women gulped bitterly seeing the anger.

 

“What? We didn’t do anything to her.” Jaekyung bravely talked back, “We’re just teaching her some lesson.”

 

“Lesson? What are you talking about? Who are you?” Eunhyuk questioned back in puzzle.

 

“Who am I?” Jaekyung ‘hmph’ smugly at Eunhyuk, “How dare you? I am Mrs Choi Jaekyung. The wife Choi Junyoung, one of the richest conglomerates in Korea.How dare you ask me that question?”

 

“Choi? You’re…Siwon’s mother?” Eunhyuk asked, frowning hard, “And you didn’t do anything, Siwon?” he gave the question to the silence Siwon.

 

It was Jaekyung who sneered at him instead.

 

“What must he do? He has nothing to do with this.” She rebutted.

 

“Mom, please…” Siwon stopped her.

 

“What? He has to know that her daughter is a right?”

 

“Mrs Choi!” Jaekyung and Sooyoung jumped by the loud voice.

 

Eunhyuk was really raged to hear that insult, “You have no right to say that about my daughter! You don’t know anything about us!”

 

“I’ve known enough to say she’s a .”

 

“You!” Eunhyuk’s voice raised high.

 

“Appa, no!” Sungmin quickly stopped him.

 

“No?! What are you talking about, Sungmin?! She just insulted you!”

 

“Appa…please. Let’s just go.” Sungmin pulled Eunhyuk’s hand, pleading.

 

Eunhyuk frowned deeper.

 

“This is not the first time?” he guessed it right by the tense on Sungmin’s expression, “And you didn’t do anything?”

 

“Appa...”

 

“I didn’t raise you to be insulted Lee Sungmin!” Eunhyuk no longer can control his temper, “You’re my daughter and she has no right to say like that about you!”

 

“What’s wrong with that? I only speak the truth.”

 

“Shut up, woman!” Eunhyuk glared at her and silenced her for sure, “You better keep your mouth shut if you still want to spare your life. I don’t care if you’re a Choi or whatever you are. I will never forgive you if you hurt my daughter. Remember that.” He warned.

 

Jaekyung gulped nervously.

 

“And you!” he pointed to Siwon, “You’re supposed to protect her.”

 

“I…”

 

“Let’s go.” Eunhyuk pulled Sungmin away from there without listening to anything anymore.

 

He have seen and heard enough. He ignores the entire look given by the other people there. He just doesn’t want to care anymore. He drive back home in silence and deep thought. Sungmin also didn’t utter a single word. She knew that Eunhyuk is angry and she also knew nothing will be able to change anything.

 

 

 

/////

 

 

 

“What has just happened, Lee Sungmin?” Eunhyuk asked right away when they reached home.

 

Sungmin averted her eyes away from the father.

 

“Why did that woman dare to call you like that? Since when did she treat you like that?!” Eunhyuk’s voice rose, grabbing attention Donghae who just step inside the living room.

 

“She…she didn’t like me…” Sungmin whispered.

 

“Then why did you stay silence?!”

 

Sungmin jerked by the shout. Everyone in the household was alarmed by the shout.

 

“She insulted you! She would even dare to hurt you! And that Siwon! Why didn’t he do anything?! He’s supposed to protect you from all that!” Eunhyuk stated aloud.

 

“Hyukkie, what’s wrong? Why are so angry?” asked Donghae, obviously confused with what is happening.

 

“Ask her!” Eunhyuk pointed angrily.

 

Donghae looked at Sungmin, “Sungmin, what’s wrong. Tell me.” She persuaded her but instead of answering, Sungmin just stayed silent averting from her, “Sungmin.” she called again.

 

“It’s…it’s nothing, Hae-umma…” she stammered.

 

“Nothing?!” everyone jumped by Eunhyuk’s enrage, “That woman called you a , Lee Sungmin! She insulted you!”

 

Donghae’s eyes grew big to hear such a harsh word.

 

“What? Who dare to say that to you? Sungmin, tell me. Who?” Donghae demanded.

 

Sungmin sniffed, “It’s…it’s Siwon’s mother.” She replied whispering.

 

“Siwon’s mother?” Donghae repeated.

 

Realization dawned on her. She looked at Sungmin in pain as her eyes pleading for her to understand her feelings at that moment. She knew by then that her husband still clueless about Sungmin’s relationship.

 

“I’ll sue that woman.” Eunhyuk suddenly remarked, alarmed Donghae and Sungmin at the same time, “I’ll cut all of business ties with that Choi and make them suffers…” he added, seriously.

 

“Appa no!” Sungmin protested immediately.

 

“No?! What do you mean no? Those damn family insulting you! It’s the same as insulting me! They should pay for what they did!”

 

“No! I said no!” Sungmin shouted, still disagree.

 

Eunhyuk burned furiously, “Why?! Why are you so insisted?!” he yelled back.

 

“Because we’ve break up!”

 

Eunhyuk was flabbergasted. That sentence immediately sends him speechless. He looked at his daughter’s eyes, seeking for the truth. Sungmin is already crying and sobbing hard on the floor. He didn’t even notice it because of the anger.

 

“We...we…we have break up, appa.” She repeated again, every ear who heard it except Donghae was also astounded by the information.

 

“So…don’t do anything! Don’t even say anything! I don’t want to have anything to do with them anymore! I don’t want to hear his name! I don’t want to see him! I don’t even want to think about him!” she vented out her anger, “It’s over appa. Please, don’t…” Sungmin cried, kneeling down on the floor.

 

“He…he hates me…” Sungmin said again, hot tears fast flowing from her eyes, “What can I do if he said he hates me. I…I don’t understand…but he hates me…he hates me appa…” she sobbed.

 

Her body trembled with the crying. Donghae rushed forward and quickly embraced Sungmin.

 

“Shh…don’t be like this Sungminie.” She comforted her, rubbing soothing circle on Sungmin’s back repeatedly.

 

It hurts her heart to see Sungmin so sad like that. Forgetting her own sickness, she just holds Sungmin firmly in her arms. She signaled to Eunhyuk to give it a rest for the day. Eunhyuk didn’t say a word and crouched down towards his daughter. He holds out his hand and wipes Sungmin’s tears gently with his thumb.

 

“I’m sorry…” he apologized.

 

Sungmin’s lips quivers terribly. Everything that she kept inside in the past weeks, finally all prevail on its own, crushing her completely. Sungmin exchanged hands and crushed into Eunhyuk’s embrace.

 

“Uh…uh…appa…it hurts…it hurts…” Sungmin cried harder.

 

In her father’s arms, she let herself cry again. Everyone watching didn’t know what can do anymore to help her except sympathize. More than their pain of watching, they knew Sungmin’s heart is in a lot more painful.

 

After forcefully putting Sungmin to sleep, Donghae in the end revealed to her husband about what she knew. Eunhyuk nagged and scold her for keeping it a secret from him. They fought for the first time after so long because of the anger that Eunhyuk had. Donghae on the other hand, didn’t dare to complain anything. She admitted that she is at fault from hiding the truth but she already promised Sungmin. So, after being torn apart between the father and daughter, Donghae chose the decision of backing up her daughter.  And that decision leads to what is happening to her family now.

 

“If you told me sooner, this will not happen!” Eunhyuk yelled furiously, “If you told me, I would have made them pay for everything!”

 

Donghae groaned at him, “That’s why Sungmin didn’t want to tell you!” she rebutted her husband.

 

“She knows that you will be angry. She knows that you will make a fuss out of it. And she doesn’t want it, don’t you get it?”

 

“But, you didn’t see what they just did to her, Hae!” Eunhyuk was still angry, “They insult her! They made fun of her like it was nothing. If I was not there, they might even hurt Sungmin!” he yelled.

 

Donghae was getting annoyed by Eunhyuk’s anger. She knew she’s at fault but it still hurt to know that her spouse doesn’t want to understand.

 

“Sungmin was scare that you might get angry.” She tried to explain, “She knew your temper of destroying everything and she really doesn’t want to see it. Please understand, Hyukkie. Sungmin…is only protecting your reputation.”

 

Eunhyuk glared at her, still angry.

 

Donghae’s expression slowly pleading, “Hyukkie please…ah!”

 

She was taken aback when Eunhyuk suddenly pushed her hands away.

 

“Protecting my reputation? What a bull.” He cursed, “I’m so disappointed in you, Hae.” he said it straight to her face.

 

Donghae’s world crushed. Not only because of her husband’s anger but also the pain showed on his face.

 

“I love Sungmin. I also love my daughter. She’s not only yours but also my only daughter Hae.” Eunhyuk told her, his voice hoarse by the pain, “I was supposed to be by her side when the time she’s in pain the most but you…all of you decided on your own to hide it everything from me, until the last moment.”

 

Donghae’s heart pained by his statement. She becomes silent, not knowing what else to say in that tense moment.

 

“I told you right? I told you many times to never hide anything from me. I told you that I don’t want to be the last person. Do you not care about it, Hae? Do you want the past to repeat again?”

 

“Hyukkie!” Donghae was instantly anxious.

 

“Then, why?”

 

She was render speechless again.

 

“It hurts to see Sungmin crying and clinging onto me like just now and yet, I couldn’t do anything. I thought that I am her most important people in her life but I guess I was not. And still, all of you thought me of being angry only. That family should be punished, I did say that, but do you really think I would dare to do something stupid. I can’t believe you have so little trust in me, Hae.”

 

Donghae’s heart breaks with every word he said but she understood Eunhyuk is feeling the same.

 

“This is stupid.” Eunhyuk said and left.

 

Donghae just watch as his figure slowly disappears from her sight. Tears voluntarily fall, wetting her cheeks. She cried blaming herself for being everything said by Eunhyuk. She feels guilty and yet, she couldn’t do anything anymore.

 

Her husband isolated himself in the library that night, probably to cool his head. Sungmin on the other hand…not in a good shape at all. Donghae sneakily goes into her room to look at her. She has already falls asleep but she didn’t look peaceful. Donghae could see some dried tears on both cheeks, and her lips quivered in sadness even in her sleep. It pained Donghae’s heart so much to see her condition. Gently, she laid herself beside Sungmin and embraced her. She cried again, but she didn’t care anymore.  

 

In the library, Eunhyuk stares at the ceiling house, thinking deeply. Sungmin’s crying scene still stuck inside his head like a nail. It was like seeing the past once again. Eunhyuk heavily sighed.

 

Why must you suffer like this, Sungminie?

 

FLASHBACK

 

a/n: this is the flashback from Eunhyuk’s past, on how he met with Sungmin again and became a family that they are now.

 

It was one of the rare days where Eunhyuk comes back to Korea after being in oversea for so long. It has been almost ten years since the last time he steps in his hometown. After everything that happens with his life before, he decided to cut ties with everything related to him there and move on. Almost 10 years also, he has been away and hiding himself, to console his heart. His hometown reminds him of so many things that he doesn’t really want to remember in the first place.

 

He takes a deep breath when he steps out from the airport. Ilsan, a place where his heart was broken not just once but many times.A place where he left everything in the past. He didn’t understand it at first, but out of blue, he feels like going back there. There’s something pulls him to be there. Like there will something that is going to happen. And yet, what he didn’t know is, that thing will change his life forever.

 

“Father.” He called to one man standing at the corner of the lawn.

 

An old man turns his way, and was surprised to see him standing there. Eunhyuk smiles at him, controlling himself, and after a few moment of staring, the old man finally smile back at him.

 

The man is actually his former father-in-law. He has married and divorce once. The father has given him support much ever since the marriage, and has been his friend for so long. He lost contact with him, but seeing the former again, didn’t stop him from having butterflies in his stomach. Donghwan invites him inside and offers him a drink at the lawn, enjoying the beautiful afternoon scenery.

 

“Where’s mother?” Eunhyuk asked, try to start the conversation.

 

“Shopping. She says she want to buy something. Well, I don’t quite understand what that thing actually.” he answered.

 

They feel into silent again. Both of them are still awkward with each other after so long.

 

“You seem happy now.” Donghwan commented.

 

Eunhyuk smiles sadly, “Yeah, maybe I am.” He agreed.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“I just got back from a business trip. So, I’m planning to pay a visit to you and mother.” Eunhyuk replies back.

 

He laughs slightly, “Thank you for your concern then. We are alive, and healthy, fortunately.”

 

Eunhyuk also laughs a bit. But, then he starts to feel nervous again.

 

“Your daughter…how is she, father?”

 

Donghwan let go a sigh, “She’s doing fine Hyuk. Did you see her acting on TV lately?” just reminds about his daughter which is Eunhyuk’s ex-wife already enough to hurt him.

 

“I know. She’s getting famous.” Eunhyuk adds, almost like a whisper.

 

Donghwan stares at the man next to him. Though it has been so many years, he still could feel the guilt inside whenever he sees him or even his picture. The marriage with his daughter, Lee Minjung is something he never thought it will happen in his life. Her daughter marries Eunhyuk at a young age, where they both are still oblivious about life. But, in truth Donghwan already realizes about his daughter’s greed and behavior.

 

Being the famous girl since child, and always seek attention from others, he was surprised at first when his daughter requested to marry so suddenly one day. Only because he wants the girl to be happy, he approved of the marriage. He thought that by marrying the daughter, she will change to be better, no longer the player that she used to be. But, at the same time, he knew it will not last. He just didn’t expect it to only last for 5 years. Minjung pursue her dream of becoming an actor. She succeeds and he sees how famous has she become, with the fact that the girl has also hurt and abandon her own family.

 

“Fame. That is all that important for that girl. She never really changes. Her greed to be famous is even greater than her own family.” Donghwan remarks the fact, still feel hurt by what her daughter did.

 

“It’s okay, father. It’s all in the past now. I’ve move on anyway.” Eunhyuk assures him.

 

Donghwan hums in agreement to that, “You’re right. We all must move on anyway.”

 

They continue with their drink. The awkwardness has started to fade slowly.

 

“Oh, yes. How is Sungmin doing?” Donghwan utter a question which makes Eunhyuk turns to look at him, confused by the sudden question and name from his lips.

 

“Sungmin? I…I don’t know.” He answered, blinking his eyes innocently.

 

“What do you mean you don’t know? Sungmin is living with you, right?”

 

“What? What are you talking about, father? I…have never meet Sungmin after the divorce.”

 

Donghwan frown, he starts to get irritated by Eunhyuk’s answer, “Don’t joke with me, Lee Hyukjae. This is not funny.” He said, controlling his temper from rising.

 

“No, father. Why would I be joking in this matter? I don’t know anything about Sungmin. I have never once met her after my divorce with Minjung, what’s more to live with her.”

 

His heart started beating really hard. He doesn’t know why, but he feels really anxious when the father suddenly talks about Sungmin in that way.

 

“What is wrong with Sungmin, father?” he asked, nervously.

 

“You tell me what’s wrong with her!” Donghwan rages suddenly.

 

“Sungmin is supposed to be living with you! That is what Minjung…ah…” he stops, realization comes to him when he remembered his daughter true nature.

 

His expression drastically darkened.

 

“Father, tell me what happened to Sungmin? Don’t scare me like that.” Eunhyuk insisted, really is scare about the condition of that person.

 

Donghwan gulps bitterly. He closes his eyes, and calming his heart down. He sat down and rubbed his face few times, making Eunhyuk more restless.

 

“Minjung…promised us to take Sungmin to you, Hyukjae.” He said with his voice flattened.

 

He looked straight into Eunhyuk’s eyes, “She promised us she will not make her suffers anymore.” He added.

 

Eunhyuk stiffened, “Suffer? What do you suffer? Father, what’s wrong with Sungmin?”

 

“Minjung…she…has been abusing Sungmin ever since the divorce with you, Hyukjae.”

 

Eunhyuk stunned. What he heard is horrible. Something that he never thought to ever happen and something that has never crossed in his mind.

 

 

/////

 

 

Sungmin. Lee Sungmin. She is his daughter with Minjung, his ex-wife. She is the only person that he has to leave bitterly behind, the guilt that he has been carrying. When the girl was born to the world, Eunhyuk is the happiest person on earth. But, his happiness crash by the time the baby opens her eyes. His world turned into turmoil and he felt so much betray by the wife. He holds a secret about Sungmin’s birth and it was one of the reasons why he had to divorce Minjung in the first place.

 

Eunhyuk couldn’t believe what he heard when Donghwan told him the stories about Sungmin and what has Minjung did to the girl. To even his surprised is about Minjung’s promises to send Sungmin to Eunhyuk after her abuse was found out by the parents. But, all of that turns out to be just lies from Minjung. Eunhyuk didn’t know a thing about it.

 

He really is heated after the story ends. Using the power that he has, he rushed to search for Minjung to seek the truth behind it and to find where is Sungmin truly whereabouts. She’s really frightened about Sungmin’s condition. If Minjung was so heartless to abuse her own blood-line when the girl was small, it will get even worse if the daughter is older.

 

“Where’s Sungmin?!” he yells angrily at Minjung, crashing her at the waiting room of a studio one day.

 

Minjung fakes a shocking face, “Oh, you scare me, dear.”

 

“Tell me, Minjung! What have you done to her? Where is she?!” he really is burning to just see the y face of his ex-wife which never fail to make him angry.

 

Minjung sneered, ignoring Eunhyuk’s rage and just continue brushing her hair, “Why do you want to know about her? You have abandon her remember? You left us already.”

 

“Don’t’ push my limit, Minjung!” Eunhyuk grabs the woman, and pushes her on the wall harshly, “Your father has told me everything about what you did to her! Just tell me where is she?!” he shouted, really is angry.

 

“I don’t know!” Minjung struggles from Eunhyuk’s tight hold, “Let go of me!” she demands, feels a little scare by Hyukjae’s anger.

 

“Not until you tell me the truth!” Eunhyuk holds her even tighter, and refused to let go no matter how much she struggles.

 

“I said, I don’t know! I left her, alright!” she retorts back, “Why would I take care of her if you already gone?! She’s a burden anyway! She’s useless!” she yelled irritatingly when being treated like that so suddenly.

 

“.” Eunhyuk push Minjung ruthlessly on the floor, and she falls hard, whimpering in pain.

 

“You really are crazy, . You don’t deserve any happiness at all.” He spats and left the place.

 

Eunhyuk hired a detective to search for Sungmin. Since he didn’t know a thing about Sungmin, it takes few days to do the investigation. In that few days, he feels really frightened and keeps thinking about the girl’s condition. He remembered back all the memories that were left about Sungmin. He remembered the smile and laughter from her that always shines his day, and the eyes. The doe eyes that hurts his heart, and the eyes that is so innocence to the world. He prays, over and over again. He wants to see that smile to at least last, and still there.

 

After few days, he finally got the girl’s address. He hurried there, nervous on what will be the reaction of Sungmin when she sees him. He discovered that Sungmin lives a modesty life, in a small apartment, in one neighborhood. When the door was open, there, he saw the girl he longs for. From the little girl she once knew before, Sungmin has changed, she has grown up. Of course, it has been more than 10 years, and the girl is already in the middle school, a teenager.

 

But, that was not all that changed. Eunhyuk could clearly sense the emptiness behind the eyes, and the sincere smile that she gives when Eunhyuk is there standing in front of her.

 

“Sungmin? I’m…you’re…actually…do you…do you remember me?” Eunhyuk stammered with his words.

 

He just didn’t know what to say to her. Sungmin blinked her eyes innocently, staring at him.

 

And slowly her face softened, “Appa.” She called.

 

Hyukjae marched forward and close the gap between them. He hugs Sungmin firmly, giving the coldness of her body with some warmth where he knew the girl has been searching for.

 

“Sungmin. Sungmin. Sungmin.” he chanted the name repeatedly, again and again, tighten the hold even more as a drop of tear fall from his eyes.

 

Sungmin remain motionless for a moment. And slowly, her hands encircled Eunhyuk’s waist and hugs him back. Tears fall from her eyes, and that is all needed for her to break down completely. For the first time, after such so long, Sungmin got to embraced someone that she can call as family.

 

Eunhyuk took Sungmin to live with him for real this time, after that meeting. Sungmin refused at first, but Eunhyuk insisted. He just didn’t want to see the pain on Sungmin again. The girl isn’t at fault of anything that happened between him and his ex-wife. It was really awkward at the first day when they met, but it eventually gets better day by day. In just a week, their relationship is back to be father and daughter just like years ago, different but normal at the same.

 

Eunhyuk didn’t ask much about Sungmin’s past because he could sense that she is hiding something from him. He wants to give her some time to think and adapt with her new life. If she wants, she will tell him the whole story of her past. But, if the past hurts her, he will not ask further about it. He already relieve that Sungmin smiles, and that is all that matter to him. He determined that he will treasure the smile from her since then.

 

But, because he was so intense in getting Sungmin back into his life, he has almost forgotten about someone. The love of his life and his one true love, Lee Donghae. By the time, he realizes that he forgets, Donghae is already standing at the door, hurts written all over her face.

 

“Who’s that girl, Hyukkie?!” Donghae questioned immediately after Eunhyuk send Sungmin inside her room.

 

“Hae, calm down. I can explain.”

 

“Explain what? Did you have an affair behind my back?” Donghae really feel betrayed by that action from her lover.

 

“No! It’s not like that.” Eunhyuk denies, “It’s just…” his words were stuck at the throat and he really didn’t know how to explain about Sungmin to Donghae since he never tells the lover about his previous marriage.

 

“Tell me, Hyukjae. Just speak the truth for once, please.” Donghae is just waiting for the time for her tears to fall.

 

Eunhyuk kneel down on the floor, heads low staring on the floor, “She…the girl is my daughter.”

 

That SENTENCE gives a pang to Donghae’s heart. It crushes her heart into pieces.

 

“Your…what?”

 

“I’m so sorry, Hae. I know I shouldn’t have lie to you about this. I know I should tell you about my previous marriage but it was hard, and it happen long ago. I just…”

 

“You’re married?”

 

“Hae, it was over. Truly over.” Eunhyuk added quickly.

 

“You said I am your first and the only one.” She said, trying to calm whereas the truth is she’s breaking slowly.

 

“And you are.” Eunhyuk fast replies back, “You are my only true love, Hae. It’s true.” He holds Donghae’s shoulder, eyes pleading to believe in him.

 

“You lie.”

 

“Hae.”

 

“You lie to me, Hyukjae!” Donghae pushes Eunhyuk away from her, her cheeks are already streaming with tears, “How could you?! I trust you so much! Now, you suddenly said that you have married once and more, a daughter? She’s already in middle school, Hyukjae! What lies are you going to tell next?!” Donghae screamed, let out her frustration.

 

“Hae, please…” Eunhyuk holds her again, begging, but he could almost predict what will happen after this.

 

“Let me go.”

 

“Donghae! No!”

 

“Let go of me!” Donghae push Eunhyuk with all the strength that she has, “I don’t want to have anything with you again! Ever!”

 

“No, Hae! Please…” Eunhyuk tries to stop her from leaving while crying hard.

 

But, Donghae is determined to leave the place. All he wants is to escape from more heart-breaking.

 

“Let go! I hate you, Lee Hyukjae!” with that, Donghae ran away from the house, leaves Eunhyuk there, already crying of rivers.

 

“Hae, no…” he pleads to the thin air, and just let the tears fall from his eyes continuously.

 

The couple didn’t realize, Sungmin was there, watching the scene in silent. Guilt overwhelms her as she looks at her father, trembling with tears. She wipes the tear that slowly fall from her eyes, and stay away from Eunhyuk from that moment to give him some space.

 

A week passed, and Eunhyuk’s condition wasn’t getting better at all. He has lose his appetite and been spacing out so much, ignoring his health. He was really heartbroken. It was not really the first time that it happened to him and but he never thought that it will be that hurt.

 

“Hyuk-appa.” Eunhyuk turns to the voice, looking so gloom and depressed.

 

He forces a smile towards the girl.

 

“Hey, Minnie.”

 

“I’m sorry, appa.” Sungmin apologized, bowing her head down, didn’t dare to meet with Eunhyuk’s eyes anymore.

 

“It’s not your fault.” He pats the girl head softly, “It will happen sooner or later. I shouldn’t lie in the first place.” He tried to comfort himself.

 

“I’m…really sorry, appa.” Sungmin whispered, almost inaudible as tears starts to swell inside her eyes.

 

“Silly child,” Eunhyuk pulled her for a hug, looking for the warmth to calm himself too, “Stop apologizing, Sungmin.” he brushes Sungmin’s hair, “Don’t leave me too. Just that. Please.” He pleads.

 

Sungmin nods in his embrace. They cry again in each other arms. Even though Sungmin made that promise to her father, she knows that she must do something. Eunhyuk has the right to have the happiness, and she will use all her courage to take the happiness back.

 

In the next morning, she searches some info about Donghae, and went to her house to have a talk with her. Apologized. She kept thinking that she needs to apologize, and do something to give Eunhyuk the happiness that he deserves. Donghae was surprised to see her appear at her door. She hesitantly let her inside the house.

 

“Have a drink.” Donghae served her a drink.

 

“Thank you.” Sungmin thanked softly.

 

The situation was beyond than just awkward. They both didn’t know how to start the first talk. Donghae watched Sungmin closely with the corner of her eyes.

 

This girl is Hyukjae’s child. She’s his daughter with another woman that I didn’t know.Donghae tell herself inside, still feels a bit upset by the truth that she found out.

 

“How did you find this place?” Donghae break the ice first.

 

“I…look into appa’s phone.” Sungmin answers, still looking at the floor.

 

Appa. Her heart clenched to hear the girl saying that word.

 

That’s the word that she always dreams to have their child to call Eunhyuk first. And it turns out, the dream will never come true.

 

Donghae sighs, controlling her mind mentally, “You know, if this is about your father, I really didn’t want to talk about him this moment. It is enough hurts that I got.”

 

“Donghae-ssi, please. Appa really loves you so much. Please come back to him. I beg you.” Sungmin begs.

 

Donghae stares at the girl, didn’t know how to react to that.

 

“It’s not appa fault at all. It was my fault. I should have not appeared at all. I shouldn’t have…live from the beginning.”

 

“No, girl. Stop begging.” Donghae feel strange by Sungmin’s statement but, she feel even more irritate that Sungmin is willing to go as far as kneeling down for that liar.

 

“I just…please.”

 

“Why are you willing to go this far for him? Your father lies to you too right? He left you. Aren’t you angry?”

 

Sungmin shakes her head slowly, “No, you don’t understand. It’s not his fault. Please, just accept appa back.” Sungmin still didn’t dare to look into the eyes of Donghae.

 

“Stop kneeling. Get up. I have decided that we both need time and space. I don’t think I am able to accept this easily.”

 

“But appa…”

 

“I can’t just simply forgive him. Better if you just leave. I want my privacy.” Donghae used the polite way to make Sungmin leaves.

 

She gets up to leave the room, but quickly stop by Sungmin.

 

“Please, wait!” Sungmin holds her sleeves.

 

“Listen, I really didn’t…”

 

“No, look at me.” Sungmin forced Donghae to look into her eyes, and say the most hurtful words from her own lips, “I’m not…appa’s daughter.”

 

Donghae was astounded when she hears that, “What?”

 

“I’m…I’m just umma’s illegitimate…child with other man.” She shuttered, as to say the word is painful enough for her.

 

Donghae was speechless. She shakes her head few times, trying to calm herself from the shocking news.

 

“What are you talking about? Don’t joke around.” She couldn’t believe her ears hearing that from the girl.

 

“Look,” Sungmin forced Donghae to look into her, eye to eye, “My eyes are blue.”

 

Donghae was speechless with that word. She looks closely and realizes what Sungmin said is true. One drop of tears fell from Sungmin’s eyes. All Donghae’s feelings starts to stir up inside. The truth that has just been told is really hard to believe. More than her pain of knowing her lover is married, Sungmin’s eyes shows even more sorrow.

 

“Please…I beg you. Please forgive appa…” Slowly, Sungmin slide down on the floor, kneeling and begging Donghae to accept her father back.

 

FLASHBACK END

 

Donghae opens her closed eyes slowly. Her heart breaks every time she remembered the first time she knew the truth about Sungmin’s true identity. Though many years have passed, the scene is still fresh inside her memories, just like it happened yesterday. After the meeting with Sungmin that time, she had to force the girl to go home because Sungmin refused to leave, not until she make a promise to at least give the lover a second chance.

 

She caressed Sungmin’s hair gently, pouring all the love she had for her.

 

“Umma loves you, Sungminie.” She professed, kissing the top of her head gently.

 

FLASHBACK

 

Donghae went to Eunhyuk’s house the next day, but Eunhyuk is nowhere to be found. She thought hard and remembered there’s a place where she and Eunhyuk used to go. With heavy heart, she departed and met her lover there. It’s a park, the place where Eunhyuk first confess to her. The park plays a role in their life as it hold masses of her memories with him together. Eunhyuk was sitting on a bench, while staring deep into nowhere. Donghae stares at the figure sadly. She walked step by step to where he is and stopped just a few cm from the guy. Eunhyuk was still in deep thought and didn’t realize that she was there.

 

“Hyukkie.” Eunhyuk snapped instantly by the call.

 

He turned, and was agape to see Donghae in front of him.

 

“Dong…hae?” he hesitates, still couldn’t believe whether he is dreaming or not.

 

Donghae’s lips form a smile, “If you wondering, this is not a dream.” She said, reading what is playing inside Eunhyuk’s mind.

 

“Hae!” Eunhyuk launched forward and firmly embrace her.

 

“I’m sorry! Please! I’m just too sorry!” Eunhyuk said continuously, and Donghae hugs him back.

 

She also misses Eunhyuk so much even though it was just a few days they have been apart. They hug for more and calm themselves after that. Eunhyuk planted lots of kisses on all over Donghae’s face and keep saying ‘thank you’ repeatedly for giving him the second chance. Donghae giggles tickly by the action, wiping away the tear of happiness. This guy has given so much for her, and she knows that if she wants to accept him, she has to accept everything about the guy. But, she still needs some truth about Sungmin’s true identity. So, she asks. But, what she discovers after that is something she doesn’t expect at all.

 

“My ex-wife is the actress Lee Minjung.” Eunhyuk starts.

 

Donghae stay next to him in silent, wanting to give him a chance to tell her everything, with nothing left behind.

 

“We have known each other since school and the woman…as you can see her on TV, that is her true nature. A nature that I didn’t know. She has been so famous ever since small and has many fans. Just like the other boys, I fell in love with her beauty.” Eunhyuk snorts remembering the past, “I was stupid back then. Everyone keep saying that she’s a player and will never stay long with one man. I want to prove it’s wrong, so, I pursue her until I propose her for a marriage. We were still teenager at that time, just finish our high school. We were 19, young and dangerous. I never thought that she will accept but, she did. Moreover, she said she’s pregnant, and that’s the main reason why I married her in the first place.” he smiles sadly.

 

He then unconsciously clenched his hands hard, “I was so happy when I found out about it. We bought all the baby things together and I prepared myself mentally and physically to be a father. But, when the baby opened her eyes, my heart was crush to pieces.” Eunhyuk closed his eyes, trying to forget that moment which still remain inside his head.

 

“The baby is not mine. She’s difference than me. And that casually admits it without any regret at all.”

 

“Did you make a DNA test with her?” Donghae asks the first question after the story.

 

Eunhyuk nods slowly, “I want to make sure. And the result makes me angry so much. Not only because Sungmin is not mine, but also because the man she had an affair with was actually my own best friend. We have so much fight since then. I could never believe that for all this time, she has been using my wealth to gain more fame and popularity. I was really mad at her, and so want to kill her. In every moment when I wake up from bed, I kept hoping that it was just a dream but, reality it was not. But then, the baby…she smile.”

 

“Because the baby is not at fault.” Donghae adds to Eunhyuk’s word, stating the truth.

 

Eunhyuk’s lips formed into a thin smile. He can almost recall every first time that he shared with Sungmin in the old days.

 

“Yes, the baby. Sungmin is what we named her. She’s a beauty but the only flaw that she has is…” Eunhyuk takes time to say the truth, “Her eyes.”

 

Donghae could feel the feint of hurt on Eunhyuk’s side.

 

“If only her true identity is kept away, I would never mind but, the eyes that staring at me, it really hurt. It reminds me to every lie and everything that her mother did to me. I tried my best to accept her and Minjung but that is too evil. She kept on cheating behind my back, and it gets even worse after Sungmin’s birth. I’ve been patient for five years Hae, and she never learnt at all.”

 

“That’s why you ask for a divorce.”

 

Eunhyuk nods, “It’s for our own good. She wants to chase the fame and I just want to be free from the pain. That’s all. That’s why I left. And that’s the reason why I never speak about this to anyone. I just want to forget that hurtful moment and start anew. That is where I met you, Hae.” Eunhyuk takes Donghae’s hand into his and holds it tight, “That’s why I don’t want to let go of you so much. I can’t bear myself with the same pain anymore.” He confessed sincerely and planted a kiss on Donghae’s hand.

 

Donghae smiles weakly. Slowly, she Eunhyuk’s cheek, calming the man.

 

“And, I don’t even want you to let go of me.” They smile at each other, and slowly close the gap between them as they share the first kiss after the misunderstanding.

 

“Thank you Hae.”

 

“No, Hyukkie. I should be thankful to you.” She gives a quick kiss on Eunhyuk’s lips, “I’m happy to have such a responsible man like you to be my lover. And I know I will never regret to live with you for the rest of my life.”

 

“But, Sungmin…”

 

“Together with Sungmin also, silly.” She playfully hits Eunhyuk on the head.

 

Eunhyuk finally laugh and thanked the lover even more.

 

“I really love you so much, Lee Donghae.”

 

“Me too, Lee Hyukjae.”

 

They laugh with hands entwined with each other firmly.

 

“But, Hyukkie can I ask you something about Sungmin?”

 

“What?”

 

“Why is Sungmin’s eyes show so much sadness? And she looks hurt so much when she went to meet me.” Eunhyuk’s face fell by that sudden question, “Hyukkie, what’s wrong?” Donghae worriedly ask when she saw the changes.

 

“Hae…Sungmin’s life is not like us. I was so stupid to ever leave her to Minjung.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Sungmin was abused and abandoned by Minjung since she’s five.” Donghae was astonished to hear that.

 

“What are you talking about, Hyukkie?”

 

“I didn’t know a thing about that Hae.” Donghae could feel the sadness from the Eunhyuk’s voice, “I divorce her mother when she was just five. I didn’t think twice about taking her with me because I thought that she might want her mother more than me. Also, because I don’t want to accept the fact that she is not mine to begin with.” Guilty once again consumes him.

 

“Father in law said that even they didn’t know about the abuse at first. Sungmin hid it very well from them. Even though she stays with them in the day, they didn’t even notice the wounds that she hid on her body. They only found out about it when her teacher reported that she fainted due to exhaustion. They brought her to the doctor, and they are shock to see her body is full of new and old scars.” Donghae cringed to just imagine the abuse wound on the small body of 5-year old child.

 

Eunhyuk closed his eyes. He holds the tears from falling there. He felt guilty the most, especially since he himself has seen the scar on Sungmin’s body. Donghae take his hands and hold it firmly. She waits till Eunhyuk is willing to continue again.

 

“Finally, they discovered what Minjung did. She has been hurting her almost every day. Father threatened her to find me, and give Sungmin to me. She made a promise to them, but, in truth she never did. She left Sungmin alone at one house and never come back. Sungmin has been living alone for all these years, Hae. There’s no one helping her. Not even me, her so-claimed father.” Eunhyuk blames himself.

 

Donghae slowly embraces him.

 

“It’s not entirely your fault, Hyukkie. You didn’t know a thing about it.” She hugs him.

 

“But I left her Hae. She was looking at me with those innocent eyes that I hate. I didn’t know what to do. I should have stay. I should have taken her with me.” He remembers and regrets all the pasts.

 

“Hey,” Donghae hold both of his cheeks and stare deep into the moist eyes, “We’ll protect her now.” She promised.

 

“I promise you, Hyukkie. She will be my daughter from now on. I promise.”

 

“Thank you, Hae.” Eunhyuk pulled her for another hug.

 

All the misunderstandings were cleared on that exact day. They even made a promise to each other to give Sungmin the family that she deserves. Together, they start anew with the new family. Starting from that day, Sungmin was finally able to smile with sincere.

 

FLASHBACK END

 

But now, you are in pain again. Eunhyuk added to his flashbacks. He felt so hopeless because he failed to see the pain behind Sungmin’s mask and failed to be a father that he promised her.

 

 

TBC