Chapter 23

Let's Play A Love Game

Taehyung and I were watching a drama when I suddenly felt a strong pain on my left side. I bit my bottom lip trying to control the pain but failed. Taehyung looked at me and slowly his facial expression became serious. He stood up and came to my side.

"Are you okay? Are you in pain?" I was about to shake my head no but the pain worsened and I flinched instead. Taehyung didn't hesitate and ran towards the door. "We need a doctor!" Taehyung came back to my side. "Where does it hurt?" He asked and I turned towards my right side. I lightly touched my left side and Taehyung nodded. The doctor cane in and came to my side as Taehyung backed away. He looked at my pulse reading and then at me.

"Are you in pain?" I weakly nodded and he looked at my left side. He sighed deeply and then looked at my left arm. A nurse came in and he looked at her. "Give Miss Crystal some pain killers." He ordered and the nurse did as she was told. Slowly the pain started to reduce and I became sleepy. The doctor faced Taehyung but I couldn't hear what he was saying.

               ⋅                             ⋅                             ⋅

The doctor looked at me and sighed. I became even more nervous. The doctor motioned for us to sit down and we did. He remained quiet for a bit before finally speaking.

"Miss Crystal suffered a terrible injury on her left side. We managed to stitch it up during surgery to prevent any further damage. As I was looking at her injury it seems worse than we thought. We'll have to run a few tests but I think the injury was deeper than I imagined and she may suffer some longtime consequences." I looked at the doctor in shock. I shook my head slowly denying what he was saying.

"How is that possible?" I asked completely confused by what he was saying. Then I shook my head realizing that wasn't as important as what I really wanted to ask. "What long time consequences?" I asked. The doctor sighed.

"If the glass shard went in deeper than we thought there might be a chance that it could affect her spine. If it made contact with her spine she may lose the ability to move her body properly." The doctor told me. I sat there trying  process everything that the doctor was saying. "There is one more other thing, Mister Taehyung." I looked up and the doctor. 

"What is it?" I asked completely nervous. I felt like my whole body went numb and I was unable to breath properly. 

"I checked her arm. I was notified that she sprained her arm and was trying to recover, but never fully recovered. Then after the accident her arm was covered in glass shards. It's possible the shards may have punctured a nerve that will make it impossible for her to use her left arm in the future. We'll run some tests just to be sure. I wanted to let you be aware of the possible possibilities of her state at the moment." With that the doctor left and I stared at Crystal. How was that possible? How was any of this possible? There had to be other options. There just had to be other options. After Crystal is released I'll ask my parents for help. I had to help Crystal in some way.

                          ⋅                       ⋅                       ⋅

I laid on my bed and sighed deeply. After all the testing the doctor ordered Taehyung left to get us drinks. When I asked him why I needed to be tested he simply replied that it was for my benefit. But I felt like he wasn't telling me something. I bit my bottom lip softly and tilted my head sideways trying to find out what he was hiding. Then the door slid open and I turned to see Henry coming inside. He smiled at me and I smiled back at him. He helped me sit up and then sat on the edge of my bed.

"Hoe have you been?" He asked me. I smiled at him and grabbed onto his hands.

"I'm ready to leave but they won't let me. Can you help me escape?" I teased towards him. Henry's expression was blank but he did smile towards me softly. 

"If I help you escape. Would you be willing to run away with me? My family and yours can run away together." He said. I stared at him for a long time. Run away together? I knew he was teasing me, but the question still caught me off guard. I smiled softly towards him and squeezed his hand.

"Henry. You've been my best friend since my father died. Even before then you were my best friend. You've always been there for me and my family. You've always taken care of us and supported us. Without you in my life I don't know what I could've done. Even now you worry about me. I was always wondering what I did in my past life to deserve a friend like you. I don't know what or how I can repay everything you've done for us. I still don't know." Henry held both my hands and looked at me with a serious facial expression. 

"Run away with me. Let's leave Seoul and move somewhere else. I don't care where it is as long as it isn't here. That's all I ask for in return." I stared at Henry who seemed very serious. Then suddenly the door opened and Taehyung walked in. He looked straight at us and I slowly pulled my hands away from Henry's grasp. Henry looked at me and then at Taehyung. 

"Am I interrupting?" Taehyung asked. Henry shook his head and looked at me with a gentle gaze.

"I'll be leaving. Let me know what you decide." He kissed my forehead and left my room. I stared at the door for a long time.

"What did you guys talk about?" Taehyung asked me. I turned my attention to him and smiled weakly. 

"Nothing." I said simply and faced the door again

                     ⋅                        ⋅                        ⋅

I walked out of the hospital and looked up at the window Crystal was in. I looked away and kept walking. I didn't know for sure if Crystal likes Taehyung or not. That's why up until now I have avoided her, but I couldn't let her be with Taehyung. She would suffer more. I knew Crystal better than anyone. I knew she would follow her heart, but I also knew that if she felt indebted to someone she would repay it at no cost. I didn't want it to come down to this, but if it was a last option I would use it. I knew Crystal would run away with me. She had no other choice. I want her to run away with me before she found out the truth. I only hoped with time she would forget Taehyung and his family. They were nothing more than bad luck. All of them. I stopped in front of the police station and took out my phone. I dialed the familiar number and waited to hear a reply.

"Hello? Hey dad. Are you still at work? Really? I'll be over there. No I'm already here. I was walking back from the hospital. I'll tell you the rest inside. Okay. Yeah. Bye dad." I hung up my phone call with my dad and walked into the police station. I was greeted by my dad at his desk.

"What are you doing here at this hour?" He asked me. I sat down and my father did too. 

"Mom wanted to know what time we will be leaving to Jeju." My dad rubbed his face as he started to remember.

"After Crystal is released. We want to be here in case something happens." I nodded and got up to .

"I'll go home now. Keep working hard dad. Don't get sick before our trip. Mom worries when you're on stakeouts like this." My father nodded utterly and smiled weakly at me. I got up and bowed towards him before I left. I left the police station and walked home. After Crystal gets better I'll take her to Jeju Island with my family. I'll take her mother and Kimmy too. Then we can stay there until everything passes. That was the only way to protect Crystal. I vowed to protect her ever since we became friends and I failed when her father died. This time I won't fail again. I'll protect her at all cost.