Chapter 6

Blind Love

 

 

“YAH YAH YAH!!!~” Jaehyo shouted pulling ______ back away from a sliding glass door that lead outside

“What Oppa?”

“Don’t go out there…”

“Why not?”

“There’s this thing called a balcony, if you were to fall off from this high up you go SPLAT and you die!~” he lectured. ‘I thought about it a few times…’

“Oppa…you’re overreacting..”

"Just stay away from the balcony, alright?! Blind girl and a balcony...it’s a deadly combination. That's just an accident waiting to happen. You are just too much of a liability."

"Aish...Jaehyo Oppa you're such a mean whiny baby."

"Yah!! We are on the highest floor and I don't want you to fall."

"Aw how sweet Oppa! You do care!!~ You looove me!~" she said excitedly.

'Aish...Ahn Jaehyo! Think of something!! Think! Think! THINK!!' he thought. "N-No! Not at all, It's just...if you die...I'm going to be lonely again. I'm just thinking about me here... I couldn't care less about you..." 'okay...a bit harsh...’

 

“Liar…” she teased. “Oh Oppa?”

“What now?”

“Do you know a Yong Jae…I mean Yong Junhyung?” she asked. ‘Junhyungie Oppa would kill me for almost saying that name again

“Sounds familiar...I might…I don’t know.” He said thinking about it for a moment. “I think I went to high school with a Yong Junhyung…Why?”

“If you and I went to the same high school…that would be strange..”

“What? Us? You and Me? I think I would’ve noticed…” Jaehyo said. ‘No I wouldn’t…I never would’ve paid attention for shallow reasons…Be realistic Ahn Jaehyo…you know that’s true.’ “Maybe not…”

“Maybe not, what?”

“I never would’ve given you the time of day in high school…”

“Why not?”

“I was shallow, egotistical, and heartless. Cocky too.”

“You’re still cocky…”

“YAH!!!”

“What? it’s true Oppa, but I can’t imagine you being heartless.”

“I am heartless.”

“Nope.”

“I am too!”

“I don’t believe that and there is absolutely no way you can convince me that you are. What made you change? Is that the thing you’ve been keeping a secret?”

“I’ll tell you everything.” He sighed.

They sat on Jaehyo’s couch and he told her his story starting with childhood.

 

----------flashback-----------------------------------

7 year old Jaehyo ran into his father’s office.

“Appa! Appa!!!~” he shouted bouncing up and down.

Mr. Ahn just ignored him and continued his phone conversation.

“APPA!!!!!!!~” Jaehyo whined even louder trying to get his father’s attention.

His father continued to ignore him and turned around so the back of his swivel chair was facing the boy.

Jaehyo didn’t give up and ran around to the front once again.

“Appa…can we go practice baseball now?” he begged on his knees.

“Not now Jaehyo!! Can’t you see I’m on the phone! Appa is busy…I promise…next week.”

“Okay fine…”

Jaehyo’s father never kept that promise or other promise he made.

Soon Jaehyo got fed up and quit baseball.

Next he decided to do basketball.

“Appa…wanna shoot some hoops with me?”

“YAH! Ahn Jaehyo! Go away!”

“B-but Appa..”

“Get out right now!!”

“But Appa!!! I need to practice I have a game coming up!~”

Mr. Ahn growled and slapped him across the face.

“Appa…” he whimpered with tears filling his eyes. Jaehyo touched his stinging cheek.

“That…was for the backtalk.”

“What back talk Appa?”

“Was that more back talk?! Want a matching set?”

Jaehyo shook his head frantically and ran out.

He eventually quit basketball too.

----

When Jaehyo was 9 his father died from a heart attack, brought on by overworking.

----

 His mother, who already ignored him to go out clubbing all the time, walked him to his first day of middle school.

“Jaehyo! Umma will be back after you finish school to pick you up alright? I promise.” His Umma said handing him his school bag.

“Yes Umma..” he answered with a nod.

She hugged him close and kissed his cheek before letting him go.

He waved goodbye and that was the last time he ever saw her.

After school that day he waited and waited.

“Jaehyo…There you are…” his uncle said pulling his car. “Come on…Get in the car.”

“No…Umma is coming to pick me up…”

By now, it was already getting dark but he refused to leave.

“Jaehyo-ya…She’s not coming…”

“NO!! She is coming!! Umma is coming!!! She said she would!! She…s-she p-promised….She promised!!!” He screamed tears streaming down his cheek. “She promised me she’d be here!! I have to wait!!!”

Eventually, Jaehyo’s uncle was able to get him into the car.

She never called, or wrote to him. She just abandoned him and disappeared.

About a year later they got news that his mother had died from a drug overdose, she had mixed it with her alcohol habit.

Jaehyo didn’t take the news well at all.

“No! She’s not dead! She’s coming back for me!! I know she is!!”

“Jaehyo-ya…She’s gone!”

“No she’s not!!! She’ll be back!! Just watch! I know she’ll be back!!~”

Even at the funeral he couldn’t accept it after seeing the proof that she was gone.

By the age of  12, Jaehyo already had to endure so much pain and loss in his life.

 

-----------end of flashback---------------------------------------------------------

 

______ just sat there and listened.

‘Jaehyo Oppa’s past was full of pain and loneliness. No wonder he’s cold most of the time.’ She thought reaching out to slip her hand into his interlocking their fingers together. She was trying to hold in the tears but she couldn’t.

He looked down at their hands and then at her face.

“YAH!...Why are you crying? I should be the one crying not you! STOP IT!”

“Oppa…I can’t help it!! I’m sad and I’m sorry that you had to go through all of that…”

“Yah! Stop crying!!!” He snapped which only made her cry more. “It’s not like it’s killed me yet…it’s just karma getting back at me.”

“What karma?! You were a little kid? What could you have done so wrong that you had to go through all of that?! At 7 years old what could you have done so bad to make your father ignore you? You were just a little boy who wanted to spend time with his father! You never did anything wrong to make your mother abandon you…NOTHING!!”

“Everything is my fault!!” he snapped.

“That’s ridiculous!! I know that if I had met you back then…I would’ve loved to be your friend! You would never have to feel lonely and put the blame on yourself…I wish I had met you when we were younger…”

He just stared at her, completely speechless.

She reached up and caressed his cheek.

‘I want to kiss her so bad right now…I want her to be mine.’

"Jaehyo Oppa..."

"______-ah...m-may I...kiss you?" he stuttered.

"Did you really just ask permission to kiss me?"

"Y-yes..."

"Mm..."

He leaned in closer until she felt his breath on her lips.

"Oppa..."

"Shhh.."

He lifted her chin, lightly brushed his lips against hers and kissed hers. He felt her start to respond, kissing him back.

"Oppa.." she whispered against his lips as they continued to kiss.

"mmm..."

"I think...i'm falling in love with you..." she said softly.

Jaehyo quickly pulled back, breaking off the kiss.

"STOP! No...You don't love me! You shouldn't. I am incapable of loving or being loved."

"You are capable of being loved...why can’t you see how amazing you are. I can and I’m blind!!"

"I'm just a cold heartless person. Just go! It's going to get dark soon. You should get home before it does."

"You say that you're cold and heartless but then you say something like that...something that proves you have a heart."

"I don’t have a heart. You’re completely wrong."

"No I’m not..."

"I don't have a heart...There is nothing there."

"So you don't want to be with me?"

"No...I don’t…” he lied. “Now go."

"YOU kissed...ME!!" She snapped, not quite ready to leave yet.

"It was just a test..."

"That was a pretty long 'test' Oppa...You wanted to be through?!" she spat angrily.

"Aish! I felt nothing…”

Another lie.

“Oppa…” she begged. “why are you pushing me away?”

“Just…leave…” he whispered. “Please…”

“Fine…I’m going. Jaehyo Oppa…I’m sorry, I’m not good enough for you!” she snapped. “I’m sorry, I’m not like all those girls you used to hook up with. I’m sorry, I’m not beautiful. I’m sorry I can’t be what you want.”

With that said, ______ turned around and walked out the door.

“______ you’re exactly what I want. You are beautiful…and it’s me that’s not good enough for you…” he said to an empty room.

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaehyo Oppa!! Try saying that to her instead of an ivisible imaginary person