Chapter 56: Hide-and-Seek

S.M. Spies

Hi, flurries! ^_^  So you're probably all really surprised because "What?  It's not Friday today! :O"  Well, it's not~! :P  I decided to update for you guys today because today, June 10th, is my birthday :)  We don't celebrate my birthday at all in my house because everyone's busy doing their own thing, so I decided that I would update today instead ^_^  It's probably really crappy, but I hope you guys still read it anyways!  Have a good Tuesday, everyone! <3


"Where haven't we checked?!" Key exclaimed as he paced back and forth inside the SHINee dorm.

"Calm down, Kibum," Jinki said as he stared intently at a map.  Key whirled around to face his leader, his eyes blazing.

"CALM DOWN?!  DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN!  MY BABY GIRL IS SOMEWHERE OUT THERE IN LORD KNOWS WHAT CONDITION AND IS GOING TO BE DECLARED A ROGUE SPY IN A FEW DAYS' TIME EVEN THOUGH SHE WOULD NEVER REVEAL S.M.'S SECRETS TO ANYONE!  HOW THE DO YOU EXPECT ME TO BE CALM?!"

The blonde boy breathed harshly after his rant.

Jinki sighed as Jonghyun put a comforting hand on Key's shoulder.  "Key," he said, "we're all just as concerned as you are.  But we can't lose hope now.  We will find Yuki.  Panicking will do nothing."

Key's shoulders slumped as he sat down on a couch and covered his eyes.  "We couldn't find a single trace of her in four months. . . what makes you think we can find her in another week?  She might not even be in Korea anymore for all we know!"

"Hyung," Taemin said, "I know it seems impossible but-"

"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,'" Minho suddenly said, getting up from the couch he had been sitting on, "Ice Princess didn't vanish off the face of the earth.  She's here, somewhere still in Korea.  I can feel it.  Let's just focus back on the areas and cities we've checked."  In the four months since Yuki had gone missing, it was Minho that had become the driving force of the team.  His blazing determination persuaded the others not to give up.  It gave them hope.  

Minho was hell bent on finding Yuki.

And he was going to make sure that he left no stone unturned in all of South Korea in order to find her.

"Right," Jinki nodded, "the first place we checked was the old house she used to live in when the two of you were part of Seoul's Underworld.  She wasn't there.  Minho's tried asking around in Seoul's Underground, but she's not there either.  Sihyun Hyung, Junghan Hyung, and Haru Hyung have every police officer they can get on board in searching for Yuki, both in Seoul and in the Underground.  However, it's pretty safe to conclude that Yuki isn't anywhere in this city.  We've checked everywhere in Incheon, Busan, Daegu, Gwangju, and almost every other major city in South Korea. . ."

"Okay, so maybe she's traveled to a less populated city?" Taemin suggested.  

Minho pressed his fingers to his temples.  Think, Choi, think.  Where could she have gone?  Who could she go with?  She would need to start somewhere, right?  Someone had to have helped her.  She didn't take any money with her or anything.  Who does she know that could help her that we haven't talked to. . .?

His eyes flew open upon the realization.  I'm such an IDIOT!  

"Guys, come on!" Minho suddenly shouted, interrupting Jinki and startling everyone, "I know some people we can talk to!  Let's go now!"

"Ansan?" Jonghyun said, raising an eyebrow in question as their black van entered the city limits.  He turned to look at Minho, who was in the driver's seat.  The taller boy nodded curtly.

"Ice Princess and I have some old friends here.  You guys haven't officially met them, but we've interacted with them before for one of our missions," he said.

"Block B?" Key guessed after a few moments of silence.

"That's right," Minho said, nodding, "if anything, Ice Princess had to have come to them for help.  They must know something."

"Do you know where they live?" Taemin asked curiously.

"Not exactly," Minho replied, "but I do know where we can ask around. . ."

Thirty minutes later, Minho pulled up to a seemingly abandoned road.  "Boys," Minho said as everyone stepped out of the car, "welcome to Ansan's Underground race track."

Jinki, Jonghyun, Key, and Taemin looked at the area in awe.  Some mobsters were already milling around the race track.  Dusk was approaching, so the races were going to start soon.  "They're not going to be on the track," Minho said, "but we can check the club."

"Lead the way," Jinki said, motioning for Minho to continue.  The boy nodded and made his way across the street to Club Four, his 4 teammates trailing behind him.  

Minho motioned for his friends to wait at the entrance.  Inside, the pounding base and hypnotic lights immediately surrounded the boys.  However, Minho ignored all of it and navigated his way around the dance floor to a familiar staircase.  Almost immediately, a buff bodyguard blocked his way.  Just like the first time, Minho thought wryly.  His heart ached a little bit.  The first time. . . he hadn't been alone.

"You can't go up there," the bodyguard said, "sorry buddy."

"Please," Minho said with gritted teeth, "it's extremely important that I meet Block B.  I'm a friend of theirs."

The bodyguard eyed Minho up and down.  "I suppose I could run a check on that little piece of information," he said, "but unfortunately, it would do you no good.  They haven't come in today."  Minho cursed mentally.

"Do you know where I can find them?" the boy asked, "a house address maybe?"

"Sorry, even I don't know that kind of information," he said, "I'm only their bodyguard for when they're in the club."

Minho nodded, his spirits a little deflated, and went back to the club entrance where the others were waiting.  As soon as they were back outside, Jonghyun spoke.

"Did you find anything out?" 

Minho sighed and ran a hand through his hair.  "No," he said as his shoulders slumped, "we'll just have to keep searching like this then."

The others nodded and followed Minho away from the club and race track and back to the van.

"I think we should park the car and start searching on foot," Key suggested after 30 minutes of driving around.

Minho nodded in agreement.  "That's exactly what I was thinking.  Are you guys game?"

Jinki, Jonghyun, and Taemin all nodded.  Minho parked the van on a side street and all the boys got out.  "Okay," Jinki said, "we'll split up.  Minho and I will take the north side of Ansan.  Jonghyun, Kibum, and Taemin, you guys take the South.  We'll meet at this spot in an hour if no one finds anything.  Questions?"

Everyone remained silent, nodding at Jinki's instructions.  "Good," the leader said, "then let's go."  Jonghyun, Taemin, and Key muttered a "good luck" to the leader and Minho before turning and walking down the street.  Minho and Jinki looked at each other and nodded before going in the opposite direction of their teammates.

They walked around for ten minutes without any type of good results.  No one had ever heard the name "Bul Yuki" and all they got were frightened looks every time Block B was mentioned.  However, the pair didn't give up.  They continued to search, looking everywhere in North Ansan, from the most happening clubs to the most run-down districts with only one thought on both of their minds:  we have to find her.

Minho and Jinki walked along the sidewalk of one of Ansan's main roads.  Suddenly, Jinki stopped in front of a bookstore.  He paused for a moment.  "Hey Minho," he said, "why don't I go ask around in here, and you can go into that café over there."

Minho nodded and started making his way towards the homey-looking building.  Nostalgia hit him like a brick wall.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Um. . . have you ever had coffee before?" the twelve-yeMinho and Yuki asked each other simultaneously.  The waitress laughed and gave the pair menus, telling them to take their time to choose.

The young pair spent the next thirty minutes trying to figure out what coffee to choose, laughing together at some of the ridiculous coffee names and trying to discern the meaning of terms such as 'espresso,' completely forgetting that they were stuck together because of a storm.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"All right guys, what the hell is-" Minho started.  Before he could finish, however, Onew and Taemin had quickly pushed the pair inside the room.

"MIANHE!" Onew and Taemin yelled.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL GUYS?" Minho yelled, slamming his fists against the door.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Minho was so lost in his memories and sadness that he didn't notice the girl a few feet in front of him until he collided with her.  Minho stood up, jolted out of his reverie and turned to apologize to the girl.  However, when he turned around, all he caught was a glimpse of a lean figure and long, flowy brown hair before the girl disappeared.  Minho squinted after the figure for a little bit, an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach, but he shook it off and entered the café.

Yuki puffed out a breath before grabbing her notepad and pen and walked to her next table.  It was a busy day at the café, but thankfully, after this last customer, her shift would be over and she could leave.  The two men at her last table looked up.  One of them eyed her.  Yuki's insides curled in disgust.

"Hello," she said emotionlessly, "what can I get for you two today?"

"Well, beautiful," the man that had been eyeing her said, "I'll take an Americano with quadruple shots of espresso-"

"Kwon, you never take that coffee bitter," the other man said in surprise.

"I know, Chinhae," the man called Kwon replied, "but I feel like after seeing this gorgeous babe, even the most bitter coffee would taste amazingly sweet."  He sent Yuki a flirtatious wink.  "Anyways, as I was saying.  I'll take the Americano. . . and your number."

Yuki rolled her eyes mentally.  Oh brother. . . she thought.  Yuki quickly took the other man's order.  "I'll be back," she said as she turned around.

One of the girl's chuckled as Yuki practically threw her notepad at the barista.  "Again, Kota?" the girl, who had a nametag that had read Ga In, asked.

Yuki nodded wordlessly, still simmering.  Stupid, mindless, barbaric, idiotic, mentally retarded-

"Ehm. . . Kota?" the barista asked nervously.  Yuki looked up, her glare deadly enough to make the poor boy take a step back.  "Y-your order's ready," he stuttered, holding out the tray.  The girl nodded and took the tray.

Suddenly, an idea struck her.  She grabbed the notepad, scribbled something down, and tore off the sheet of paper before walking back to her assigned table.  The boy, Kwon, smirked at her as she approached, noticing the paper in her hand.  Wordlessly, Yuki put the drinks on the table, making sure the paper was put underneath Kwon's drink.

"Thanks. . . Kota," Kwon said after looking at Yuki's nametag.  He winked at her once more, but Yuki had already turned and left.  

"I can't believe that actually worked on her," Chinhae said in disbelief, "but then again. . . I'm not surprised.  You somehow manage to get all of the girls."

"I'm just a natural charmer, bro," Kwon replied as he unfolded the paper, "I can get any girl I wan-"  Kwon abruptly stopped talking as he read the paper.  His face dropped. 

"What's wrong?" Chinhae asked.  He took the paper from Kwon's hand when the boy didn't respond.

He then burst out into roars of laughter.  On the paper, in Yuki's own handwriting, was a phone number all right.  

551--OFF

The laughter reached Yuki's ears as she took off her apron and folded it neatly.  She waved good-bye to her co-workers who were torn between laughing their heads off and being in complete shock that the usually emotionless Kota had actually made them laugh.  

"Bye, Kota!" Ga In shouted after the girl as she left.  Yuki turned around and gave her two- salute before exiting the café.

Okay, Yuki thought as she walked along the sidewalk, I have to go home and change quickly.  Then I'll go out on patrol and make sure I stop by Youngsoo's shop to get my new passport and papers and- 

Yuki's thoughts were rudely interrupted when she abruptly crashed into a warm body in front of her.  Yuki fell face-first, her hands and knees scraping against the concrete as she tried to stop her fall.  The girl ignored the stinging pain and stood up immediately.  She turned and bowed to the man in front of her, but he was facing the opposite way, so she didn't see his face.  Without another thought, the girl turned and continued on her way.

Why did I think he looked just like-  No.  Why am I even thinking about that?  I'm imagining things.  Forget it.  I have more pressing matters to take care of.

Two souls ripped apart by pain.

One determined to piece things together.

The other determined to resist every attempt.

War has been waged.

Peace, love and trust versus pain, hatred and betrayal.

The clock has been set, a game is being played.

A dangerous game of hide-and-seek.

In which the seeker is determined to find the one that hides,

But the one that hides is resolute on never being found.

A game with two main players,

who both despise losing with a passion.

7 days have been set on the clock.

Time is ticking,

tick-tock, tick-tock.


SO CLOSE YET SO FARRRRR~  I couldn't resist the dramatic bit of freestyle poetry at the end~  I want to keep you guys on the edge of your seats xP  I hope you guys are all enjoying the story so far!!  Hopefully, it's not getting boring >.<  I'm really sorry if it is! D:  I don't have much to say for this chapter except that hopefully, all of you are anticipating the next one!!  I'm going to do my best to get it up by Friday!!  

Now, moving on to my lovely new flurries~!  So many of you subscribed over the past couple of days!  I was so surprised!! :O  Thank you!!  And we also hit a MILESTONE OF 94 FLURRIES!!  WOW!!! :D  Thank you guys all so much!! Seriously!! <3  We're actually almost to 100 now!!  Wooo!!!

 

 

 

 

 

Please continue to comment, subscribe, and up-vote everyone!!! Thank you so much for your love and support for S.M. Spies!!!  I'll see you guys this Friday!! <3

~Yuki