Chapter 49: Infiltration

S.M. Spies

So before we get started, I'd like to announce the winner of last week's poll!!  Ladies and Gentlemen, Bul Yuki and Choi Minho's official ship name issss. . . *drumroll*

MINKI! :D  Thank you for voting!! ^_^

Yuki:  *grumbles* Why is MY name at the end?

Minho:  Because I'm the cooler one in this relationship~ *winks*

Yuki:  *scoffs* PLEASE, you'll always be a DORK to me, Keroro. *flicks forehead*

Minho:  *rubs forehead* *glares* YAH!

Yuki:  *waves him off*  Anyways, on a serious note, we DO have something to say.  As some, or maybe most of you, know, a South Korean ferry carrying a large number of high school students recently sunk.  Lives have been lost, but even more souls have been declared missing.

Minho:  This is truly a horrendous event; I don't know if any of you have any relatives that were involved but if you do, both of us pray for their safety.

Yuki:  And even if you don't have anyone you know that was involved, both of us humbly request that you take a minute or two out of your day to send your thoughts and prayers out to the worried and grieving families in South Korea.  We know that we will.

Minho and Yuki:  Thank you.


A male stood behind a chain-linked fence, machine gun in hand as he tiredly scanned the horizon.  He was dressed in standard army decor.  His army uniform stood stark brown against his pale skin, his hat still on although it was well past dark.  He shifted uncomfortably in his position, clearly exhausted from having been standing for so long.  He pulled his walkie-talkie out of his pocket and spoke into it.  "Have you heard any word from the Commander yet?" he asked.

"Hold your positions," a voice crackled over the device, "the enemy forces can be seen just over the horizon.  A majority of our forces are being concentrated here for the moment.  Just follow standard patrol procedure, Officer Kim Kyu Bok."

"Copy that, sir," the soldier named Kyu Bok said before stowing away his walkie-talkie.  He looked around him.  This side of the border was almost empty, with two sentries posted about six miles away from either side of him and two other foot-soldiers located within a mile of him.  This was unsurprising, considering that the South Korean attack would be taking place on the western side of the border.  It would be a waste of manpower to send any more soldiers anywhere except for western border.  The North Korean soldier cracked his neck and stood at attention again.  Another two hours passed with no change in the landscape.  The soldier remained at attention, hiding his extreme exhaustion.

The sound of struggling jolted the soldier's consciousness into sharp awareness.  He held up his gun and pointed it towards the sound of the struggle.  Because of the darkness, he could only identify sihouettes, one that was clearly of a man and the other, a woman.  The woman appeared to be struggling to break free of the man's grasp, but he was too strong for her.  "HALT!" Kyu Bok called, keeping his gun pointed at the pair, "WHO GOES THERE?"  The man that was struggling with the girl yanked her forward again until they were close enough for the North Korean soldier to make out their clothes.  Kyu Bok's eyes widened when he recognized the uniform of a North Korean army officer.  Nevertheless, he kept his gun trained on the man and repeated his question.  The other man looked up.  

"Officer Lee Jeonhwa.  Military ID number 36825," he replied, still struggling with the female in his arms.  Kyu Bok nodded, recognizing the code.  However, he did not relax.  

"How did you get to the other side of the border?" he questioned suspiciously.

"I was sent across as a negotiator," Jeonhwa replied, "but that obviously didn't work out.  I was very unceremoniously removed from the premesis."

"And the girl?" Kyu Bok asked.  Jeonhwa smirked.

"A straggler by the border," he replied, drawing the female close to himself, "I caught her there and figured I'd have myself a little fun.  There's been no action for the past couple of days so when this little butterfly came along, I decided to take the chance."  

"LET GO OF ME!" the girl shouted, attempting to wrestle free from her captor's grasp again.

"Oh yes," Jeonhwa said, "I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one."  Kyu Bok glanced at the frightened look on the girl's face, then at the dark look in Jeonhwa's eyes.  Without another word, he opened the gates slightly, just enough for Jeonhwa and his captive to slip through.

"Have fun," he said emotionlessly.

"Oh trust me," Jeonhwa said, "I will."

With that, he viciously yanked the fighting girl with him towards a forest quite a ways away from the border.  Kyu Bok watched the pair and rolled his eyes.  "I could go for some 'fun' right now, too. . ." he mumbled, "better to look at a pretty lady than a barren wasteland."

Jeonhwa continued to roughly drag his struggling captive through the forest.  When the two arrived in the heart of the forest, he released her.  "It's about ing time," the girl said, taking off her tattered clothing to reveal a complete spy body suit.  Then, she tugged at the skin around her neck, completely peeling off her "face," which turned out to be nothing but a malleable rubber mold.  The mask peeled away to reveal Yuki underneath it.  The duo's ruse had worked.  "Do you need help, Keroro?" she asked, looking at "Jeonhwa."

The boy shook his head and pulled off his face mask after removing his army uniform, revealing Minho.  "I swear," Yuki said, wiping sweat off of her neck.  Her mind shot back to just 20 minutes ago.  Although she didn't show it, she had been extremely nervous when Minho and her had to pull off that acting stunt.  Minho's words at the time had sent actual shivers down her spine.  He had actually sounded like a merciless, evil soldier.  "I thought they had us there when he asked for identification.  I'm just glad that our plan worked.  Key's disguises were perfect.  But where did you pull that identification  number from, Keroro?"

"I just came up with it off the top of my head," Minho responded quickly.

The girl whistled.  "Then we must have gotten extremely lucky," she said, "I thought we were goners.  But. . . seriously Keroro.  Those numbers came out of nowhere?  Did you really just guess?"

"Yes!" Minho said, turning to glare at her, "I did.  God, how hard is it for you to understand that?"

Yuki took a step back, startled by her partner's sudden outburst.  Her eyes narrowed.  "Jeez, Keroro, I was just asking a simple question.  What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Nothing!" the boy said, "just because YOU can't seem to understand-"

"Hold the up," Yuki said with a harsh glare, feeling anger boiling up inside her for the first time in months, "stop acting like a little , Keroro.  I didn't mean to offend you or anything."

Before Minho could open his mouth, Key's voice suddenly appeared in their ears.  "Stop it.  Both of you," he said, "whatever problems you two are apparently having, save it.  You're surrounded by enemy territory now.  If you don't cooperate, you're dead."

"Tell him that," Yuki spat.  "He's the one that's been acting so weird for the past 2 months," she mumbled quietly.  There was a tense silence between the couple before Yuki spoke into her earpiece again.  "Taemin," she said, "can you tell me exactly where we are relative to Kaesong?"

"You've got a bit of ground to cover," the young boy replied, pinpointing Minho and Yuki's GPS locations, "head northwest."  Yuki nodded and began making her way out of the forest, not really caring if Minho followed her or not.  

45 minutes had passed since Minho and Yuki had began their trek.  The two still weren't speaking to each other.  Yuki had calmed down noticeably, but now her insides were churning.  Keroro was probably just really on edge. . . I mean, we ARE in North Korea after all.  Painful death or horrendous torture is only a few feet away from us at any given time, she thought.  Yuki finally decided that she was just going to have to swallow her pride.  Executing a mission where either one of them could die at any moment really put things into perspective.  If anything were to. . . happen to either of them, Yuki didn't want to die still feeling the stirrings of anger towards her boyfriend.  That just wouldn't be right.  

Abruptly, Yuki spun around to face Minho.  The boy stopped walking when Yuki turned around and stared at her.  "What?" he asked.  In another second, Yuki closed the distance between them, placed her hands on Minho's shoulders, and allowed her lips to connect with his.  Minho's eyes widened in surprise.  Yuki never initiated a kiss with him.  However, when the girl's arms circled his neck, the male figured that it was best not to question anything and pulled Yuki closer to himself.  The kiss was quick, but at the same time, it was urgent and passionate.  When the pair let go of each other, Yuki looked at the ground, cheeks flushed, and spoke.

"I. . . I'm sorry, Keroro," she said, "I shouldn't have gotten angry at you.  I guess it's just the atmosphere around this place that's got me all tense and I guess I'm just really really sor-"

Yuki's apology was cut off when Minho put two fingers under her chin and made her look up so he could softly touch his lips to hers.  "Silly Ice Princess," he breathed, "apologizing when it isn't your fault. . .  I should be the one saying sorry.  I started the fight in the first place, not you.  I'm sorry."  Yuki's heart immediately felt lighter.

"We're both sorry, okay?" she said, smiling.

"Okay," the boy responded, chuckling.

"So guys," Jonghyun suddenly said, "as much as I HATE to ruin your sweet lovey-dovey moment, we actually have to do, so get moving!"

Minho and Yuki rolled their eyes when they heard the sounds of SHINee's laughter.  s, they thought simultaneously as they continued moving out of the forest.

Another two hours brought Minho and Yuki to the edge of the forest.  Right in front of them was a bridge spanning a large river.  "," Yuki cursed, "what now?"

"The river?" Jinki suggested.

"The current's too strong," Yuki replied grimly, "we won't make it across that way."  

"Under the bridge?" Jonghyun asked.

It was Minho that noticed the metal glinting underneath the wooden bridge.  "It looks like they were expecting that, too," he muttered, as he absent-mindedly tapped the screen of his iPhone, "the bottom of the bridge is lined with spikes."  Yuki sighed.

"Taemin," she said, "can you detect any presences other than ours?"

"Nothing," Taemin replied.  Again, a sigh escaped Yuki's lips.  The fact that Taemin wasn't able to detect any other presence in the area didn't mean an absence of enemies.

It just meant that he wasn't able to see them.  

"Something tells me that just across this bridge is where all of our electronics are going to stop working," the girl said, "and the only way to reach the S.S.D. building is-"

"By walking across like open targets," Minho finished grimly.

"We would be shot as soon as we set foot on the bridge.  There's not way we can pull something like that off," Yuki said.  Suddenly, an idea struck her.  "Actually. . . maybe we can."  Minho looked at Yuki quizzically.  

"Put your army suit back on, Keroro," Yuki said, grabbing her tattered clothes and face mask, "it looks like we got a callback."

Minho kept his head low as he roughly dragged Yuki towards the bridge.  Yuki did her best to pretend to be injured, trying to make herself as pathetic as a rag doll.  Please work, please work, please work, she silently prayed.  There was silence as the two slowly made their way across the bridge.  About half-way across was when things went awry.

The sound of something flying through the air hit Minho and Yuki's ears.  Minho looked up in time to see three figures performed a somersault in the air before cleanly landing in the middle of the bridge, right in front of Minho and Yuki.  The girl decided it was best not to look up.  "Well, well, well," one of the three figures said, "what do we have here?"  The voice was distinctly feminine.  Yuki's formed stiffened slightly.  That voice. . . I know that voice. . . she thought.

"Well?" the second of the three figures said, "are you just going to stand there or are you going to identify yourself?"

"Or would you rather we blow you to smithereens instead?" the third asked.  By now, Yuki's head was spinning.  Those voices.  No, it can't be.  "So speak.  Who dares cross paths with Orange Caramel?"

Yuki's heart fell into her stomach.  It took all of her will-power to not react to the all-too-familiar name.  

Orange Caramel.  The same North Korean spy group from all those years ago.

The same group managed to convince Daeho to turn traitor.

No.  No.  No.

"Army officer Lee Jeonhwa," Minho replied in a crisp, emotionless voice, "military I.D. number 36825."

A knowing smirk settled on the three girls' lips.  "I see," one of the girls said, "and what purpose do you have in coming down towards the S.S.D. building, officer?"  The girl that had been speaking walked over until she stood right in front of Minho, smiling coyly as she traced one of the star badges on his shoulder.  Yuki's stomach tightened.  In that one moment, Yuki wanted nothing more than to break the hand of the girl touching her boyfriend.  

"Found something you might like," Minho responded, a smirk making its way onto his face.  

An uneasy feeling suddenly settled in Yuki's stomach.  It's okay, Bul, Yuki thought, we can get out of this.  Worse comes to worse, we kill them and keep moving.  But Keroro can talk our way out of this.  We'll be fine.

"Oh?" one of the other two girls asked curiously, "and what would that be?"

"Why don't you take a guess, Raina?  Lizzy?  Nana?"  the boy asked, looking at the girls in front of him.

Keep up the act, Keroro, Yuki thought, way to go; we'll be out of here in no ti-

wait a minute. . .

I never told him what their names were.

"Oh I don't know," Lizzy said, now tracing a finger down Minho's arm, "do tell.  The anticipation is killing me."

Raina and Nana nodded in agreement.

A South Korean spy," Minho finally said.  

Yuki's body locked down in surprise.

WHAT?!

"WHAT?!?!" Taemin, Key, Jonghyun, and Jinki all shouted into Yuki's earpiece.

Minho released Yuki and spun her around.  The girl didn't move.  Minho smirked and stripped Yuki of her disguise, ripping off her tattered clothing and tearing off her face mask before shoving her forward.  Yuki, now completely revealed in her spy clothes, stumbled and fell to the ground.  Her mind was spinning.  WHAT THE IS GOING ON?! was her only coherent thought.  She watched as Minho took off his hat and removed his face mask.  "Hello, ladies," Minho said.

"Minho Oppa," the three girl's chorused, grinning at him.

Wh-wh-what? Yuki thought in complete shock.  The girl stood up on shaky legs.  The other four persons in front of her then looked her way.  I-it's a trick, Yuki thought, a trick.  Keroro's not really a traitor.  He's putting up an act.  Yes, that's exactly what this is.

She looked into Minho's eyes, knowing that all she needed to do was take one glance into them to know exactly what he was planning.

The eyes that used to be filled with warmth when they looked at her, anger when they fought, and love when they were together. . .

they now reflected nothing but a cold, evil, blackness.

In that one moment, Yuki knew.

There was no plan.

This wasn't just some act.

The nightmare that Yuki had the night before was coming to life before her very eyes.

"No. . ." was all Yuki could say.

"Awww," the girl named Raina said with mirth, "the poor thing look's like she's about to cry!"

"New to betrayal, honey?" Nana asked, laughing loudly.

"Not," Minho replied, chuckling darkly, "does the name Hyun Daeho ring a bell to you three?"

All of Orange Caramel froze.  Then, they broke out into peels of laughter.  "DON'T TELL ME!" Lizzy shouted, "THIS was Daeho's partner?!"

Minho nodded, laughing as well.  Yuki was having trouble breathing.  The rest of SHINee were shouting things into her earpiece, but she couldn't hear any of it.

"Pathetic," Nana spat at her, "you allowed yourself to be betrayed TWICE?!  You're not fit to be called a spy."

"Ironic, isn't it?" Raina said, "we stole your partner away the first time, and here we are, having succeeded in stealing away your second partner.  And you didn't realize a thing."

"Though I'll have to say," Lizzy purred, bringing her lips closer to Minho's cheek, "your taste in men is excellent.  I mean, Daeho was good looking, but he's nothing compared to Minho Oppa, here."  Minho wrapped an arm around Lizzy and pressed her body close to his.  

"Thanks, love," he muttered, his lips ghosting over hers, "I know."

Clink.  Clink.  Clink.  More pieces of Yuki's now completely shattered heart fell into oblivion.

"Soo Man-ssi.  Choi Minho is a lot of things.  He's a flirt.  He's a jerk.  He's a hard-headed, conceited that looks like Keroro.  But. . . he.is.not.a.traitor."

"Before you ask," Minho said coldly, looking into Yuki's broken eyes with absolutely no hint of remorse, "I did it because South Korea stands no chance in this war.  North Korea has the better army, the better weapons, and the better spies.  They have the best chance of winning this war.  And I don't stay on the losing side."

"You. . . you. . ." Yuki wasn't able to put her thoughts together.

"Manipulation is a spy's best quality," Minho continued, laughing, "and I played Lee Soo Man, all of S.M., and most importantly. . .you.  S.M.'s best spy."

"This is the best that S.M.'s got?" Nana asked, "they'll be crushed like insects.  Especially with you back on our side, Oppa."

"Funny, isn't it?  I finally decided to put my full trust in someone again.  And that 'someone' happens to be my worst enemy."

"Anyways, enough of this," Lizzy said, "grab the girl and let's go back to headquarters."

Yuki's eyes didn't leave Minho's face.

When Nana held out her hand to Minho and the boy placed a foot-long pole into it, the girl didn't move.

When Nana and Raina approached her, Yuki remained still.

When Nana extended the pole to its full length, Yuki didn't even flinch.  She didn't even raise her hands to defend herself.  Her eyes were still trained on Minho.

The pole sliced through the air and hit the side of Yuki's head with enough force to possibly crack her skull.  

The last thing Yuki saw before her eyes closed were Minho's dark, pitiless eyes.

Traitor, Yuki thought.

Then, her world turned black.


. . . . Q~Q

It's ironic how I had you guys vote for a ship name just in time for all of you to see these two fall apart. . . 

 

 

Welcome new flurries! <3  Thank you for subscribing!!  WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE WE GAINED SIX SUBBIES THIS WEEK!!  Just one more subbie until we hit 80!!! [Unless some of you unsubscribe because you want to kill me. . .]

 

 

 

 

 

 

heart_and_seoul

heart_and_seoul 

 

No new up-votes this week~ But hopefully we can get some more!!

Please continue to subscribe, comment, and up-vote!!!  Only one more flurry until we hit 80!!!!   [I noticed that you guys didn't really say anything about the last chapter.  Was it really that bad? xD]  I'll see you guys next week!!

~Yuki