Chapter 48: D-Day

S.M. Spies

Surprise!!!! :D  And you guys thought I wasn't going to update today ;D


Minho's eyes opened quite early the next morning.  It was still dark out.  He sat up in his bed and leaned against the headboard, knowing that he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep.  He looked to his side and stared at his cellphone.  Today's the day, he thought.  Wordlessly, the boy stood up and walked to his closet.  After changing into suitable clothes, he quietly exited his room.  The door to Yuki's room, which was right across from his, was slightly ajar.  The boy peeked inside.

"Ker;ksdf," he heard Yuki mumble.  "Kero. . .ro," the girl said slightly louder.  Minho's eyes widened.  Is she awake? he wondered.  However, Yuki simply rolled over and fidgeted.  Minho's name left her lips once more, but the boy noticed something.  The girl looked. . . afraid, as if she were having some type of nightmare.  Her eyebrows were scrunched together and she was frowning.  "Please," he heard her mumble, "don't. . . don't leave me."  She tossed and turned slightly.

Minho's heart thumped unevenly.  Quietly, he stepped inside the girl's room and walked to her bed.  The boy leaned over Yuki and placed a small, chaste kiss on her forehead, as if he could dispel her bad dreams.  Yuki fidgeted in her sleep, but didn't wake up.  Minho glanced back at the girl once more before exiting her room and going to the kitchen to grab his bike keys.  Without another thought, Minho was out the door and on his way to S.M.  Unease bubbled in his stomach, but he forced it down and made himself focus on the task at hand.  He revved his bike to 90 and quite literally left his thoughts in the dust.

 "PLEASE, NO!"  

Yuki sat up in bed, panting harshly.  Jonghyun and Taemin were the first two to come careening in her room, seeing as they were in the bedrooms right next to hers.  Jonghyun had a gun in his hand and he pointed it at various angles of the room, looking for any signs of the threat.  Taemin ran straight to Yuki.

"Are you okay, Noona?" he asked, "is there someone here?"

"N-no, Taeminnie," the girl replied, fighting to keep the stutter out of her voice, "I'm sorry, it was just a bad dream."

Slowly, Jonghyun lowered his gun.  He too walked to Yuki's bed.  "Yuki. . ." he said, "are you SURE you're okay?"

"Yes, Jonghyun," Yuki tried to assure him, "I'm absolutely fine.  I've had nightmares before.  This isn't any different."

"Do you wanna talk about it, Noona?  What was it about?" Taemin asked as Jonghyun pulled the girl into his comforting embrace.

Flashes of Yuki's nightmare appeared in her mind.  She shuddered.  That kind of nightmare. . . right before such an important mission. . . no.  I can't think like this.  It was just a nightmare.  Just a nightmare.

"Yuki?" Jonghyun asked gently, pulling the girl out of her reverie.

"I don't know what I was thinking.  I just had a nightmare about one of my past experiences in Seoul's gangs is all," Yuki effortlessly lied.  The pair of boys didn't look remotely convinced, but then Yuki's watch started beeping.  "But forget about that," Yuki said quickly, looking down at her watch, "today is a very important day, guys."  Jonghyun and Taemin exchanged grim looks, their hearts sinking.

"We know," they replied.  Yuki stood up and shook herself off.  She glanced at Jonghyun and Taemin.  The pair took the hint and made their way out of her bedroom.  

Not more then ten minutes later, the girl was fully dressed and ready to go.  She walked over to the room across from hers.  Taking a deep breath, she put a smile on her face.  Then, she kicked open Minho's bedroom door.  "GET YOUR OUT OF BED, KERORO!" she yelled, laughing, "WE HAVE TO- Keroro?"  Yuki's tone of voice changed when she noticed that Minho was nowhere to be scene.  Her heart thudded in her chest as her nightmare flashed through her mind.  "J-Jonghyun?" she said shakily, "T-Taemin?"

The two boys walked into Minho's room.  Neither of them seemed to have registered the slight tone of fear in the girl's voice.  "Yes?" they both asked.

"Where's Keroro?" Yuki asked, forcing her tone to remain light.

"Oh!" Taemin said, "he left for S.M. early this morning.  Key Hyung and Onew Hyung left a little bit after him.  So it's just us three in the dorm right now."

The knot in Yuki's chest vanished almost instantly.  "Oh. . ." she said, sighing in relief, "oh, okay."  Jonghyun raised an eyebrow at Yuki's odd behavior. 

"Are you okay, Yuki?" he asked in concern.

"Of course," the girl replied easily, "but the three of us should get going.  Get ready, you two.  We need to meet up with the others to get rid of the final kinks in our plan."

Jonghyun and Taemin nodded, quickly exited the room and entered their respective ones in order to get ready.

Yuki put a hand to her cheek, slapping herself lightly.  Stop thinking like that, Yuki, the girl mentally scolded herself, it was only a nightmare.  Keroro would never- no.  Just stop.  You have to focus on today's mission.  You know how important it is.  Don't waste energy imagining stupid things.  Today, you infiltrate North Korea.  Focus on going in and coming back out alive.

The atmosphere around S.M. seemed to be coated with a thick layer of tension.  By now, everyone had heard about Soo Man's next assignment.  Yuki ignored the looks of pity and fear her fellow spies were sending her and walked briskly towards the Gadgets Department to meet up with Minho, SHINee, and EXO.

After getting her handprint scanned, the doors to the Gadget Room slid apart, revealing her friends.

"Noona!" Taemin excaimed, "perfect timing!"  Yuki chuckled.

"Excellent," she said, walking over to stand next to Minho, "so what have you and Kai set up for us?"

"Well, I'm glad you asked, Noona," Kai said, "because we spent all night working on this stuff."

Minho and Yuki watched Kai and Taemin with interest and the pair shuffled through different gizmos sitting on the table in front of them.  "We'll start with communication first," Taemin said, pulling a small device out from amongst the gadgets.  "Behold," he said proudly.  Minho and Yuki blinked once.

"Ooookay," Minho said, "it's an earpiece."

"Not just ANY simple, old earpiece," Taemin said, "watch."  He walked over to the older boy and attached the clip to his ear.  Then. . .

"It's gone!" Yuki gasped in surprised, "but. . . but. . ."

"Touch his ear," Taemin said excitedly.  Cautiously, Yuki moved forward and allowed her fingertips to touch her boyfriend's ear.  She was not expecting to feel plastic.

"What. . .?"

"This," Taemin said, removing the invisible earpiece, "is our latest development in camoflauge technology."  The device magically reappeared in Taemin's hands.

"Okay seriously," Minho said in surprise, "what.the.."

"Logic doesn't work this way, Minnie," Yuki said, still wide-eyed.

"Ah, but adaptive skin-pic tech does," the young boy responded mischievously, "last night, Kai and I input the same code into your watches.  All you have to do is cover the entire screen of your watch with your palm and poof, it's gone."  He started to get into the mechanics of his invention when Key held up a hand. 

"Now's not the time, Taemin," the blonde said, "we have other gadgets to see."

"All right, all right," Taemin grumbled, rolling his eyes, "take it away, Kai."

"Right," Kai said, smiling as he stepped forward, "so this next gadget is a bit. . . new."

Yuki cocked an eyebrow.  "Care to explain?"

Wordlessly, Kai held up a something that appeared to resemble a polythene bracelet.  Minho peered at the device.  "It's a jet pack," Kai said, grinning brightly.

"What?" Minho and Yuki said in disbelief.  

"Yeah!" Kai continued on in excitement, "it took us AGES to develop this!  We almost gave up on it, too, but we finally got it to work out!  Now, watch carefully."  The young boy walked up to Minho and had him put the bracelet one.  Then, he pushed down on it.  Almost immediately, the bracelet appeared to take on an almost liquid consistency, coiling its way up Minho's arm and causing him to yelp in surprise.  After another thirty seconds, the polythene band had stretched out across Minho's back and wrapped itself around his shoulders, forming a type of harness.  Almost immediately, an actual jetpack emerged out of the polythene, rockets and all.

"No way. . ." Yuki muttered, inspecting the element.

"Yes way," Kai said, "you have no idea what we're capable of if we're determined, Noona."

"So. . . I need to learn how to fly this thing," Minho said, "I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT!"

"Relax, Hyung," Kai said easily, "autopilot.  Be warned, though.  Only use this when you two are making your get-away.  It isn't entirely. . . stable per se."

"Oh, that makes me feel so secure," Yuki said, rolling her eyes as she once again eyed the machine wearily.

"Don't worry, Noona," the young boy said, "this bad boy can handle up to 350 pounds of weight.  It can support both of you extremely easily.  We've worked out basically all the kinks except for maybe a few lingering bugs. . ."

Before Yuki could open to argue, Taemin stepped up.  "OKAY, MOVING ON!" he exclaimed, touching one of the straps on Minho's jetpack.  The pack slid down the boy's arm until it was back in its original bracelet shape.  "Everything else is generically basic.  We're trying to steer away from anything that gives off any type of electric wave frequency, seeing as how electronics tend to go haywire when they cross that invisible barrier you two have been talking about.  We're trying to keep it simple.  So, we have your standard grappling hooks, suction cups, knock-out gas, smoke bombs. . .  Ah. . . and this."  Taemin walked over to Yuki.  "Noona, what's the number one thing you say you always notice about your necklace whenever you touch it?"  Yuki remained silent for a few seconds as she pulled out her dragon necklace from underneath her shirt and stared at it.

"Ah!" she said, snapping her fingers, "there's this slit, right behind the dragon's wings!  It's practically invisible to the eye, but I always feel it."

"Noona, your parents certainly had a lot of things in mind when they gave you that necklace," the boy said.  He held out his hand and showed Yuki a tiny, paper thin flash drive.  "Do you mind?" he asked, looking at the girl's necklace.  Yuki wordlessly held out her pendant to him.  Carefully, Taemin took the dragon pendant, flipped it over, and easily slid the small flash drive inside the crevice in between the dragon's back and wings.  The girl's eyes widened in surprise.  It was a perfect fit.  So Umma. . . Appa. . . looks like you guys wanted to help out with the mission today, huh?

"Mr. and Mrs. Bul were smart spies," Taemin said approvingly, "the design is practically flawless.  The flash drive won't come out of your necklace unless you want it to.  Although small, it has an ENORMOUS amount of memory space.  This should be able to contain all of the information you can get from the S.S.D. supercomputer.  Once you plug it in, the flash drive SHOULD be able to compromise a large amount of the supercomputer's security system.  You're both capable enough at hacking to get past the remaining firewalls."

Minho and Yuki nodded in understanding.  "But of course," Key said, "we can't forget about your suits."  The boy wasted no time in pulling out two, full-black, spy suits.  Yuki's suit was a classic, full black, one-piece, complete with a handy gear belt for gadget/weapon storage.  Minho's suit was relatively the same, but with a strap running across his chest.  Both suits were skin right and looked easy to move in.  

"Okay," Jinki said, "everything is in order here.  Let's go to the weapons room and see what Jonghyun and Kris have to offer you."  The little group made their way out of the Gadgets Department relatively quickly.  Time was ticking.  Minho and Yuki didn't have long before they had to leave.

Yuki quickly opened the door to the Weapons Room, only to come face-to-face with a pistol pointed right at her nose.  "Well hello to you too, Jonghyun," the girl said wryly as she used two fingers to point the barrel of the gun away from her face.  The shorter boy chuckled sheepishly.

"That was bad timing, Yuki," he said, "it was almost as if fate meant it to be~"

"Oh, shut up, you stupid dino," Yuki countered, laughing as she shoved the boy and walked inside with the others behind her.  Kris shook his head at the two, smiling, and walked over to the table where he and Jonghyun had laid out the weapons of choice.  They were all standards.  Nothing too flashy, just small weapons that could provide quick and silent kills if necessary.  Classic throwing stars, knives, and, of course, guns.  

"The knives and throwing stars are laced with poison," Kris explained, "that way, if you can't aim for a direct kill, any type of scratch to the skin will do the job."

"Ohhhh, this is a fun one," Jonghyun said, picking up a foot-long metal stick, "one of your favorites, Yuki."

The girl grinned widely, immediately recognizing the small piece of weaponry.  She took the small stick and held it horizontally, touching a small niche in the middle of it.  Instantly, the stick grew until it was a tall, perfectly balanced metal pole in Yuki's hand.  The girl gave the pole a few deadly twirls, performing the very first offensive move she had ever learned, before ending the attack in a quick jab.  With a final twirl, Yuki touched the niche in the middle of the pole once more, causing the object to return to its regular size.  "Oh yeah," she said, grinning, "I'm keeping this."

"Okay," Jinki said, glancing at his watch, "go and get suited up, you too.  As quickly as possible.  Your transportation will be here soon.  Key will have your other clothes packed."  Minho and Yuki nodded, grabbing their things and quickly exiting the Weapons Room in order to get dressed.

Yuki glanced at herself in the full-length mirror and adjusted her utility belt, making sure her weapons and gadgets remained secure.  She tucked her hair behind her ear and took a deep breath to calm her nerves.  "Take it easy, Bul," she told her reflection, "you can do this.  It's just another mission."  She nodded at her reflection, wiping the anxious look off of her face and replacing it with a determined one.  Then, she walked out of the changing room.  

As soon as the girl closed the door behind her, she noticed Minho step out of his own changing room.  The pair locked eyes for a few seconds before walking towards each other.  "So," Yuki said, "today's the big day, huh?"

Minho nodded.  "Yeah," he said, "I guess it is."

There was a silence between the two.  Yuki stared at her boyfriend, realizing the very real possibility that one, or possibly both, of them wouldn't return from the mission alive.  Her nightmare entered her thoughts again, but Yuki quickly pushed the thoughts aside.  Instead, she tried for a smile as she looked at Minho.  She held out her hand for Minho to grasp so they could recite their traditional chant.  The boy glanced at Yuki's outstretched hand for two seconds before slowly raising his own hand, which the girl found a bit odd.

Before the pair's hands could touch, however, Jinki suddenly appeared.  "Good, you guys are ready," he said, grabbing Minho's hand and motioning for Yuki to follow, "your ride is here."  Jinki quickly walked back down the hallway with Minho in tow.  Yuki was still frozen with her hand outstretched.  She stared at it.  But. . . but we ALWAYS say our chant before leaving for a mission, the girl thought.  This is was true.  Once the pair had started cooperating, they had come up with a special chant which they recited before going out for a mission.  So far, every time they had done it, their missions had always been successful.  Now that they hadn't. . .  

The uncomfortable feeling in Yuki's stomach returned.  She shook her head from side to side.  "Stop it, Bul," she chastised herself, "you're being stupid.  Nothing's going to happen just because you guys didn't do your chant.  It's really no big deal.  Stop being weird and get a move on."  Still, Yuki pulled out her dragon pendant and clutched it tightly before running over to catch up with Minho and Jinki.

Minho and Yuki wordlessly walked side by side as they quickly approached the lobby of S.M.  They were not expecting the stop short because of the sight in front of them.  The pair's eyes widened as they took in the scene.  The entire lobby was full to bursting with every single S.M. Spy.

2NE1, SNSD, BTS, EXO, Super Junior, TVXQ, f(x), Big Bang. . . everyone.  Even Soo Man stood at the head of the processsion.  As the sound of Minho and Yuki's arrival to the lobby, the spies all turned around to face them.  The large crowd separated, creating a walkway for the two.  A silence hung in the air.  Soo Man took two steps forward and Minho and Yuki automatically bowed.  Soo Man said nothing.  He stared at the duo for three long seconds.  Then, without breaking eye-contact with the pair, he lifted his hand sharply and snapped a firm salute, stomping his foot firmly on the ground.  Just one second later, the rest of the spies inside of the lobby followed suit, the sound of their feet hitting the floor echoing throughout the large room.  Yuki and Minho stared at the crowd in front of them in wordless shock.  Finally, the pair nodded and, with as much might as they could, snapped a firm salute back at their comrades and muttered a single phrase with crystal clear voices.

"Long live South Korea."


Okay, I'm going to be a conceited for a second:  I'm really proud of that ending ;D  All right guys.  Here they go.  It's time for the next set of the story to take place.  Let's hope that Ice Princess and Keroro don't kill themselves, yes? :P

SO THERE WAS SOMETHING THAT I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT FOR QUITE SOME TIME.  Yuki and Minho don't have a ship name! D:  SOOOOO, I made this poll with four possible ship name options (with help from the lovely truly_me).  PLEASE GO VOTE SO I CAN GIVE THEM AN OFFICIAL SHIP NAME!! <33

Sooooo, in other news, TWO NEW FLURRIES HAVE ARRIVED!!! :D  Welcome, and thank you for taking an interest in S.M. Spies!!!! <3

 

 

 

 

 

OKAY GUYS, THINGS ARE HEATING UP.  YOU KNOW YOU'RE INTERESTED!! ;D  Soo, please COMMENT YOUR EXCITEMENT, SUBSCRIBE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, AND UP-VOTE TO KEEP ME EXCITED!!! <333 

Love you guys~~ I'll see you next Friday!! <3

~Yuki