Chapter 20: Fire and Ice

S.M. Spies

OMO~ 23 SUBSCRIBERS?!  W.O.W.  I'm so happy! :DD Thank you all soooo much!!  I hope you all enjoy this chapter~~ <33  [P.S. Please make sure to read the author's note at the bottom~ I'm sure you'll be interested in what it has to say :P <3]


Minho let out a low whistle as the engines of the cars at the starting line purred.  People were crowded all around the Underground track, eagerly waiting for the Car portion of the night's races to start.  Each car at the starting line made a statement in its own way.  No two cars were even the slightest bit alike.  They were personalized by each individual owner.  Yuki wrinkled her nose at a particular Barbie pink car on the track.  Some cars looked like they were only built for show, but others looked like they were solely built for speed.  Minho and Yuki hadn't even signed up for their own race yet and they were already excited.  The drivers were leaning against their cars, chatting amongst themselves as the track master walked by and inspected every single element of each car.   

[A/N:  OKAY GUYS, I'M SORRY BUT YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE VISUALS.  Therefore, I'm going to link the appearance of each of the twelve cars lined up at the starting line~~  I tried just getting the images on here but they came out all weird~ *rolls eyes*]

Car 1 ; Car 2 ; Car 3 ; Car 4 ; Car 5 ; Car 6 ; Car 7 ; Car 8 ; Car 9 ; Car 10 ; Car 11 ; Car 12

People were milling around everywhere, exchanging weapons, drugs, and sometimes, fists.  Even in the cold winter night, Yuki noticed that VERY MUCH unlike herself, the females of the Underworld were dressed in their standard bikini-like clothes and stripper-like high heels, a sight that Yuki had grown accustomed to as a child.  Even the women racers were wearing clothes that heavily accentuated certain parts of their bodies.  The famous bookers stood in their booths, counting wads of cash as people lined up to place bets on the race that was about to start. 

"Home Sweet Home," Yuki and Minho said simultaneously.  The pair glanced at each other and smiled slightly.  The phrase had become an ironic joke shared between the two.

"Seen anyone we know yet?" Minho asked his partner.

Yuki shook her head.  "I'm sure we'll see them soon.  We aren't even near the track.  That's probably where everyone's congregating."  Minho and Yuki had chosen to stay a little bit farther away from the race in order to take some time to think things through.

"Oh, so am I the first then?  I feel so special," a male voice said behind Minho and Yuki.  The duo whirled around in surprise to come face-to-face with a familiar face that had not changed too much in the past six years.

"DAEWOOK HYUNG!!" Minho and Yuki shouted as they unashamedly threw themselves into the man's waiting arms.

"Hey kiddos!" Daewook said with a laugh, squeezing the two, "how's it been?  How's S.M. treating you two?  Wow, you two are in one place and NOT trying to kill each other?  That's new."

Minho and Yuki shot a quick glance at each other and cleared their throats and memories from earlier in the day hit them.  "We're good," the pair replied in unison.

"What about you, Hyung?" Minho asked, "what have you been up to?  Are you in this race?"

"Well, I DO race," Daewook replied, "but for this particular race. . . I'm not allowed."

"Eh?  Why not Hyung?" Yuki asked, "were you caught with illegal nitrous?"

"Because as of today. . . I've become Seoul's new trackmaster."

"YOU WHAT?!" Yuki and Minho yelled. 

"Yep.  Just got promoted ealier in the day.  I'm not allowed to race here because it's for younger blood.  I'm only allowed to race against the pros now," Daewook said.

"Hyung, that's. . . incredible," Yuki said.

"Speaking of which," Daewook said, "have you spoken with my new co-owner yet?"

"Co-owner. . .?" Minho asked.

"I was going to tell them later. . ." Sihyun suddenly said into Minho and Yuki's earpieces.

"YOO SIHYUN HYUNG," Yuki practically shouted, "SINCE WHEN DID YOU BECOME CO-OWNER OF SEOUL'S UNDERGROUND TRACK?!"

"Hyung, I didn't even know you still raced!" Minho exclaimed.

"Hey, once you've been opened to the tracks, it's hard to leave," Sihyun said jokingly, "AND DON'T JUST YELL AT ME YUKI!  Junghan and Haru are still our racing mates!"

"Oh my god," Yuki and Minho muttered, face-palming themselves.

"Do the NOONAS know about this?" Minho asked accusingly.

"Of course," Junghan said dismissively, "they were our girlfriends BEFORE we became members of the police force, Minho."

"Your lives are honestly just paradoxes," Yuki said, rolling her eyes.

"ANYWAYS," Daewook said, interrupting whatever the three boys were going to say to Yuki, "Sihyun, Junghan, and Haru have been keeping me updated on what's been going on in your guys' lives, including your mission today.  So. . . according to what I've understood, there's a North Korean spy present somewhere in this mass of people and YOU guys think that he's in league with some of the members of the Underworld?"

"That's about right," Minho confirmed, "and we need to get into the Underworld through Ansan in order to trail him."

"RACERS!" a booming voice called, interrupting the trio's conversation, "START YOUR ENGINES!"

All at once, the twelves cars lined up on the track let out a ferocious snarl.  A woman in a bikini walked to the middle of the track holding a megaphone.  How is she not cold? Yuki wondered idly.  

"Ready, set, GO!" the woman called.  The harsh squeal of tires was all Yuki and Minho heard for the next few seconds.  Then, the cars came to life and shot down the track.

"Well," Daewook said, "if we're going to get you guys entered in that race, we need to get you both suits and sign you up.  Come on.  Let's get you guys suited up."

Minho and Yuki took once last look at the cars tearing up the road before turning their backs on the race and following Daewook away from the track.

"This is as far as I can go with you guys," Daewook said, "good luck.  And please. . . try not to die."  The words were said jokingly but Yuki and Minho could seen the concern on Daewook's face.  Minho and Yuki nodded.

"We'll be fine, Hyung," the pair said together.

Daewook looked at the two.  He had known Minho and Yuki since they were merely children.  He had seen their personalities, their violent arguments, and their attitude towards each other.  

Even now, everything seemed the same.  Yet something seems different, Daewook thought, something between these two isn't the same anymore.  But what shifted?

"Are you gonna hang around for our race, Hyung?" Minho asked, pulling Daewook out of his thoughts.

"Most likely," the man replied, "I have nothing better to do, so I'll hang around to watch.  Listen, before you guys go change, I'm gonna give you a quick briefing.  First, Yuki, these other racers. . . well, they're going to underestimate you since they've never seen you before.  Don't do anything stupid to try to prove yourself to them.  This race has no rules. . . and these racers can do anything to win."

"So can I," Yuki said, standing a bit straighter, "I can hold my own out there, Hyung.  If I've braved Seoul's track, then I can handle Ansan's.  Don't worry."

"And Minho," Daewook said, "these guys are gonna walk around -talking and throwing around outrageous challenges.  Whatever you do, don't listen to them.  They're baiting you.  Anger leads to recklessness."

Minho nodded.  "We don't have to verbally respond to their taunts.  We can just win.  That would shut them up pretty easily," he said proudly.

"Exactly," Yuki said, smirking.

"Easy there tigers," Daewook said, "I know both of you get competitive really easily.  My last piece of advice to you:  Don't be each other's enemies.  If one of you wins, the other one automatically wins as well.  Don't make this a competition in between the two of you.  The last thing we would want is for you guys to start fighting each other."

"He's right," Key into the pair's ear pieces, "recognize your enemies well, you two.  And please. . . be safe."

"Taemin's gonna alter the connection in your earpieces so that you guys will only be able to hear each other during the race," Jonghyun explained, "you're going to need to be able to communicate if you want to win."

"So. . ." Taemin said uneasily, "this is the last you'll be hearing from any of us until the race ends."

"Good luck guys," Sihyun said, "come back with a trophy in your hands and full access to the Underworld from Ansan."

"Show those mofos what you guys got!" Junghan cheered.

"You guys will be fine," Haru said, "hwaiting!"

"Bye you guys," Minho and Yuki muttered into their earpieces.  Then, there was silence.  Yuki looked at Minho.

"Keroro?" she said, testing out the earpiece.

"I can hear you," he replied.  Yuki nodded once.  Then, the pair turned to Daewook and gave him a final hug.

"Don't worry, I'll be watching," Daewook said with a quick grin, "I hope you like the racing suits I picked out for you!"

Yuki looked in the mirror once, making sure her suit was put on correctly.  Daewook had picked out a standard motorcycle race suit for Yuki.  It was black and white, colors that would complement the color of Yuki's motorcycle.  The front and back of the suit were both plain black and white, with white designs near the wrist-area, across the back of the shoulders, and on the legs of the suit.  [A/N:  Honestly, just look at the links lol XD].  The suit was skin-tight, but Yuki made sure to zip it up completely.  She wasn't trying to attract any kind of unwanted attention anyways.  After a few moments of thought, Yuki put her hair up in a ponytail.  Then, she grabbed her helmet and walked out of the bathroom.

At the same time, Minho walked out of the men's restroom in his complete biker outfit.  His racing suit was blue and black, the perfect color combination with respect to his bike.  The boy gripped his helmet loosely in his hand as he tried to scope out potential competition.  His attention shifted slightly when light footsteps approached him.  Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Yuki come up to stand next to him, her helmet at her waist.  He was left speechless for a few moments.  Even Minho had to admit. . . Yuki looked. . . well. . . hot.  The suit clung to Yuki's skin in the right places.  Her dark brown eyes radiating from the excitement of her next challenge, her dark hair tied up in a ponytail, her full pink lips curled into a smirk.  The interesting part was. . . the girl wasn't even trying.  She had tried to make herself LESS noticeable, but in Minho's eyes, she looked beautiful.

Choi Minho.  What the actual .  WHERE IS YOUR BRAIN?!  WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ICE PRINCESS HERE.  ICE.  PRINCESS.  GET YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT, CHOI.

"Ready?" Yuki asked, effectively ripping Minho out of his internal debate.  Minho really wasn't thinking about how to respond, so he replied in his default, cocky manner

"Please," the boy scoffed, "I've been ready since the day I was born.  This track has had my name on it since it was created."

"You're such a narcississtic , you know that?"

"The ladies love narcissism.  Did you know that your level of self-confidence determines your size?"

"Did you know that you're a freaking idiot?"

Before Minho could retort, Yuki spotted the sign-ups for the next race.  "Look, there are the sign-ups! Let's go.  The faster we gain access to the Underworld, the better it is for us.  Is that tracker of yours still online?" [A/N:  This was the adjustment I made in Chapter 18.  You might want to go check that out :P]

Minho checked his watch quickly.  "Yep.  We should be okay.  The guy we planted the tracker on seems to be an important member of the Underworld if he was trusted with receiving our lovely North Korean spy.  I don't think they'll check him for anything."

Yuki nodded.  "Yeah, you're right," she said, "well. . . I suppose we should go put our names down."

Nodding, Minho followed Yuki towards the booth.  "Names?" the man asked in a bored tone of voice, not bothering to look up.

"Kota," Yuki said with a smirk.

"Joon," Minho said, smirking as well.

The man that was writing paused and finally looked up.  "Can it be?" he asked.

Back in their teenage years, Minho and Yuki used the names 'Kota' and 'Joon' when they competed in the Underworld's races.  Sihyun, Daewook, and the other boys had specifically warned them to never disclose their actual names at these events.  Therefore, Yuki decided on the name "Kota" while Minho picked the name "Joon."  Minho and Yuki's biker names were widely known in the Underworld, considering that they were the youngest competitors to win an Underground race in Seoul.

"Hey, Kangta Hyung," Minho and Yuki said simultaneously with slight grins on their faces.  Kangta burst out laughing.

"So the duo is back!  And this time in Ansan!" the man said, still laughing.  "I haven't heard from you in ages!  This is the first time I'm seeing you since you guys were teenagers!  You haven't really changed that much; well, except for the height.  But other than that, you still look like the kids I first met when you enrolled in your first Underground race!"

Minho and Yuki chuckled.  "Time seems to have not affected you either, Hyung," Minho said with a quick smile, "still attending the booths, I see.  What are you doing here in Ansan?  I thought your station was back in Seoul?"

"It is," Kangta replied, "but Seoul's Underground track isn't running at the moment and I needed stuff to do.  They shipped me to Ansan for today's race, but I'll be back in Seoul within the next couple of days.  What about you two?  Why are you guys competing in Ansan?  And after such a long hiatus?"

Minho and Yuki shot each other sideways glances.  "We've missed a few old friends in the Underworld," Yuki lied smoothly, "but apparently, we're not allowed access to the Underworld through Ansan if we don't win a race here, so here we are."  

"No one can stop us from entering the Underworld," Minho said proudly, "at any time, or from any place.  Naturally, when we were so politely declined entrance, Kota and I decided to come out and show everyone why our names are so well known in the Underworld."

Minho and Yuki sounded so convincingly confident that Kangta couldn't help but believe them.

"I noticed that you're addressing yourselves as 'we,'" the older man said casually, "should I assume that you two aren't going to try to kill each other during the race?"

"Quite the opposite, actually," Yuki said, "this time. . . we're racing mates."  Kangta cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh?" he said, "this is new."

"Well what did you expect?" Minho asked, "we both want entrance and we're on unfamiliar territory.  It's better that those that know each other stick together.  Wouldn't you agree?"

After a moment of thought, Kangta nodded his head.  "Yes, I suppose so," Kangta said, "all right then.  If you're running as racing mates. . . I'm gonna need a team name."

"Team name?" Yuki repeated in confusion.

"Since when the hell do we need a team name?" Minho asked.

"Since last year," Kangta said, "it's easier on the bookers."

"Aish," Minho and Yuki muttered.

"I at team names," Yuki said immediately, turning to Minho, "make yourself useful, Joon."  Minho sent a glare at Yuki, but reluctantly agreed.  He remained silent for a few seconds.  Then, his eyes lit up.

"I got it," Minho said.

"What is it?" Yuki asked curiously.

"Hyung," Minho said to Kangta, "our team name will be. . .

Fire and Ice."


OHHHH 'S ABOUT TO GO DOWWWWNNNNN!  LOL, hey guys!  This is AthleticShawol back with yet another chapter of S.M. Spies!  Wow, can you guys believe we've just reached 20 chapters?  Crazy. . .  Thank you to everyone that's been showing support for this story!  None of you go unnoticed! <3  So, the next chapter's the big race!!  Trust me, you definitely WILL NOT want to miss out on this next chapter.  That's a promise.  Now. . . I have a little proposition for you guys~~

The street racing chapter is already complete.  I'm still going to post it obviously, but you'd have to wait until next Friday. . . 

UNLESS:

So. . . I was thinking. . . that maybe if I could see 5 new comments and AT LEAST 2 new subscribers, I'd be more than willing to post the chapter MUCH sooner. . .~  :3  [If one person posts more than one comment, it doesn't count btw.  eheheh~]

I KNOW YOU PROBABLY ALL HATE ME AND THINK I'M BEING SELFISH :,(  I'm not a bad person, I swear!  I'm just trying to see if this extortion request method would work~  I promise this is probably going to be the only time I ever do something like this :p  So. . . think about it?  YOU WOULDN'T REGRET IT~~ <3  

Okay, imma go before you all start unsubscribing >.>  See ya later!!

~Yuki