Chapter 14: Understanding

S.M. Spies

Thank you to everyone who left me encouraging comments after the hate message <3  Don't worry, I'm okay :)  I wrote this chapter for my lovely subscribers and encouragers.  Thank you for supporting me <3


"I feel kinda bad for locking them in the Sim. Room. . ." Taemin commented.

"I don't," Onew and Key said simultaneously.  Onew kept his eyes on the road, seeing that he was the one driving, but Key turned in his seat to speak with Taemin.

"They need it," Key said, "Soo Man-ssi isn't intending on giving them different partners.  The faster they get over their differences, the better.  If they get thrown into a real mission without some kind of feeling of comraderie between them, they're going to end up dead."

"But what if forcing them to stay together increases the bitter feelings?" Taemin countered.

"Well, they can't really hate each other any more than they do now right?" Onew asked.  Suddenly, Taemin's phone rang.  Looking at the caller ID, the boy decided to put his phone on speaker.

"Yeoboseyo?" Taemin said.

"YAH!" Jonghyun yelled over the line, causing all three boys in the car to flinch, "can someone PLEASE explain what is going on?!"  Jonghyun had only known that Soo Man had called the previous day, saying that he had a plan in mind for Minho and Yuki that somehow involved the rest of the boys.  Other than that, he was clueless.

"Somebody's got their in a bunch. . ." Key commented.

"I HEARD THAT!" Jonghyun exploded through the phone.

"Calm down!" Onew yelled, "I'M DRIVING HERE!"

Jonghyun immediately became silent, waiting for Onew to answer his question.  Onew took a deep breath and started explaining.

"Okay, so you know Minho and Yuki got locked in the Simulation Room.  While they're trying to sort out their problems there, Key, Taemin and I have to pay a little visit to the Seoul Police Station."

"What for?" Jonghyun asked.

"Did you forget?  Yuki's caretakers:  Sihyun Hyung, Haru Hyung, and Junghan Hyung," Onew said.

"Ah!  But why do you want to see them all of a sudden?" Jonghyun asked.

"They're the ones who can tell us about Minho and Yuki's childhood.  Maybe we can find things in their past together to help them cooperate better," Onew elaborated.

"Not a bad idea," Jonghyun commented, "but will it work?"

"It's worth a shot," Key said, "basically anything goes at this point."

"All right, well. . . good luck guys.  I'll see you at home later," Jonghyun said.

"Bye," Onew, Key and Taemin chorused before Taemin ended the call.

After another 10 minutes, Onew pulled up to the Seoul Police Station.  "Well. . . this should be fun," Taemin commented as he got out of the car.  Onew decided to take the lead, Key and Taemin following closely behind him.  The police officers in the station looked up once when they heard the three boys entered, but went back to their own business after a few seconds.  S.M. didn't exactly flaunt the identities of their spies, so it wasn't a surprise that the policemen didn't know that three secret agents had just entered the room.  Onew stood at the Police Station's entrance awkwardly, not a hundred percent sure what to do.  Key decided to take the lead from there.  Confidently, the blonde boy strode through the room and stood in front of a police officer who had been sitting at his desk, reading a case file.  After a few minutes, the policeman finally looked up.

"Can I help you with something?" the man asked.

"Yes actually," Key said formally, "I was wondering if I could speak with Chief of Police Yoo Sihyun."

The policeman raised an eyebrow.  "Do you have an appointment?" he asked.

"An a-appointment?" Key stuttered, "a-aniyo. . ."

"Since when do we need an appointment to visit a policeman?" Taemin wondered aloud.

"Mind your tongue boy," the polieman snapped, "you're requesting to see Seoul's Chief of Police.  You can't just waltz in here and-"

"Please forgive him," Jinki interrupted, "is there any possible way we can see him?  It's extremely important."

"I'll go check to see if he's busy," the man replied after a moment of doubt.  The three boys bowed at right angles.

"Kamsahabnida," Onew said.  Suddenly, an idea struck him.  "If possible, please tell Sihyun-ssi that we are friends of Bul Yuki."

"Bul Yuki, got it," the policeman said before walking into a different room.  Seconds later, he came back out with a confused expression on his face.  

"Uh. . . Go right in.  Forgive me for my callousness earlier," the man said, bowing.  Jinki, Key, and Taemin nodded, expressing their thanks as the walked through the door the man held open for them.  Upon entering the room, the three boys trained their eyes on a figure sitting at a desk on the opposite side of the office.  

The same brown, spiky hair, the same kind yet mischievous eyes, the same toned, lean figure.  This was indeed the Sihyun of Yuki's childhood.  Time didn't seem to have affected him very much, for although the man was now in his late-twenties, he retained the same handsome and charming face he had as a young adult.  Before Jinki or the other two boys could say anything, Sihyun spoke up.

"Kangdae, please call Deputy Chief's Kyun and Son into my office," he said.

"Right away, sir," the man named Kangdae said with a sharp salute.  Sihyun motioned for Onew, Key, and Taemin to take a seat on the chairs in front of his desk.  Moments later, two men arrived in the room.  Haru and Junghan hadn't changed much either.  They looked like they had walked right out of Yuki's childhood memories.  There were subtle differences of course, but nothing major.  

"What's up Sihyun?" Haru asked as he and Junghan took a seat near the man.  Then he caught sight of Key, Taemin, and Onew sitting awkwardly in front of Sihyun's desk.  "More surprise inmates?  Who the hell is bringing these guys in?"

Key and Taemin looked at Haru, affronted, but one harsh nudge from Onew kept both of them silent.  

"Haru," Junghan said, rolling his eyes, "the surprise inmates come in tied up and gagged."  Haru raised his hands, palms up.

"Hey hey hey, their could be a NUMBER of reasons why-"

"Guys," Sihyun cut in, immediately silencing the other two, "we've got company."  The worried tone of Sihyun's voice immediately had Junghan and Haru at attention.  They watched quietly as Sihyun turned turned to Onew, Key, and Taemin.

"Is Yuki hurt?" the man asked in concern.  

"WHAT?!" Junghan and Haru exclaimed, jumping out of their seats.  Not knowing that the three boys meant no harm, Junghan and Haru pulled out their guns and pointed them at Onew, Key, and Taemin.  Key and Taemin reacted automatically, springing up, chairs falling backwards behind them, and slipping into their standard fighting positions.  Only Sihyun and Onew remained in their seats.  Onew silently admired how protective the three boys were of Yuki.  Just one mention of any type of danger to her safety and THIS is their reaction.  Amazing.  Although. . . we would react the same way, Onew thought silently.

"Knock it off guys," the Onew and Sihyun hissed as their friends simultaneously.  Junghan and Haru didn't move, their guns remaining trained on Taemin and Key; likewise, the two SHINee members didn't relax their poses.  Onew sighed.

"I apologize," he said to Sihyun, "they're not usually like this."

"I should be saying the same," Sihyun replied, "these two idiots are the ones that started it anyways."

"YAH!" Junghan and Haru shouted idignantly, lowering their guns.  Taemin and Key finally stood up straight again.

"You just brought my self-respect level down to zero," Junghan said to Sihyun.

"That's okay," Taemin said, "Onew Hyung does that to us all the time."  Taemin's bluntness elicited a small chuckle from Junghan and Haru.

"So. . . you guys obviously aren't inmates," Junghan said, "who are you?  And what does all of this have to do with Yuki?"   Finally, the boys in the room reached their focal point.  Junghan, Sihyun, and Haru looked at the three boys, waiting for them to speak.

"Well," Key said, deciding to cut right to the chase, "I guess we should introduce ourselves.  Sihyun-ssi, we are spies from the Seoul Military Intelligence Agency.  We work under Lee Soo Man-ssi."  Sihyun, Junghan, and Haru's eyes widened in recognition.  Sihyun jumped out of his seat, causing everyone else in the room to jump.

"What happened," he asked flatly.

"Nothing!  Nothing!" Key replied quickly, "we just. . . need your help with something.  My name's Kim Kibum.  This is Lee Taemin and that's Lee Jinki hyung."

"Ah, so you're part of the famous SHINee," Haru said, smiling lightly, "Yuki talks a lot about you guys quite often.  I'm Kyun Haru.  This is Son Junghan and that's Yoo Sihyun."  The six men exchanged handshakes, the initial tension in the room now completely gone.

"So. . . you guys needed our help with something?" Sihyun asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," Onew responded, "someone else that you know joined the agency."

"And who would that be?" Junghan asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Choi Minho hyung," Taemin responded.  Sihyun and his friends looks unsurprised.

"The kid was talented," Haru said, "we knew he had what it takes to be recruited by S.M.  I, however, still don't see what your 'problem' is."

"Minho Hyung and Yuki Noona are partners," Taemin revealed.  Sihyun, Haru, and Junghan's jaws dropped.

"Please tell me you're joking," Junghan said.  Onew, Key and Taemin shook their heads grimly.  Onew explained the predicament to Sihyun, Junghan, and Haru, basically summing up the entire problem with one last sentence.

"They hate each other but we need them to be friends if they want to continue working under S.M."

"Wait wait wait," Sihyun said, "so you're telling me that Soo Man-ssi recruited Minho and had him become partners with Yuki?  He knows why she doesn't want a partner and he paired her up with MINHO?"

"Well you have to look at it from Soo Man-ssi's perspective," Key said, "it was too dangerous for Yuki to continue working alone.  Of course, we were her support team, but there was no one out there with her.  You have no idea how much anxiety that gave me."

"Trust me.  We know," Junghan said solemnly.

"I can see why Minho and Yuki working together could be a problem," Haru said, "but how can we help?"

"Well. . . we need you to tell us about any moments during Minho and Yuki's childhood where they expressed friendship instead of hatred.  Maybe if we remind them about those memories, they'll be more willing to cooperate with each other," Onew explained.

Sihyun, Junghan and Haru abruptly started laughing.  "Those two?  Get along?  What universe do you live in?" Junghan asked.

"I always used to say it was Love at First Fight," Sihyun said, smiling lightly, "those two were at each other's throats constantly."

"Isn't it supposed to be 'Love at First Sight'?" Taemin questioned.

"Not with these two," Junghan said with a laugh, "although I admit that there were a few times when I thought. . . well. . ."

"It would be awesome if you could tell us about those," Key said eagerly, "anything that could help."

"All right then," Sihyun said, "we'll tell you whatever we can."

The next hour consisted of stories of Minho and Yuki's childhood.  Sihyun, Haru, and Junghan mainly focused on the sweeter memories between the two enemies.  Some memories had Key, Onew, and Taemin on the edge of their seat, but others had them smiling as they visualized the sweeter side of Minho and Yuki.  

"Thank you so much Sihyun-ssi.  You too Haru-ssi and Jungan-ssi.  This should be enough to give those two a push," Onew said, standing up and bowing.  Key and Taemin mimicked his actions.

"Nonsense," Sihyun said firmly, "we haven't even gotten to express our gratitude for how much care you've been taking of both Minho and Yuki.  And no need to be so formal.  We are your Hyungs, right?"  Junghan and Haru nodded in agreement with Sihyun's statement.

Key, Taemin, and Onew smiled.  "Of course," the three said.

"You don't have to thank us for taking care of Noona," Taemin said lightly, "it's an automatic thing for us.  We do it because we want to, not because we have too."

"I'm glad to know that Yuki has found such caring friends," Haru said.

Before anyone in the room could say anything else, Kangdae came bursting into the room.  Sihyun stood up immediately.  "Officer Kangdae?  What is it?  What's wrong?"

"It happened again sir," Kangdae said, "two new inmates this time.  Bound and gagged, just like the others.  And. . . a hand-written note."

"Oh?" Sihyun asked, "that's new."  He eyed Haru and Junghan.  "Did you guys ever manage to find a lead on our mysterious helper?"

Both deputy chiefs shook their heads.  "Whoever it is must be very keen on remaining in the shadows," Junghan noted.  Key, Taemin, and Onew all had bewildered expressions on their faces.

"Forgive me Hyung," Key said, "but what exactly is going on?"

"Ah," Haru said, "sorry about that.  These past couple weeks, usually around 1 or 2 in the morning, we've been finding people bound and gagged in front of the doors of the Seoul Police Station.  When we found our first 'victims,' we thought that they had been attacked by criminals.  As it turns out, each 'victim' is actually a criminal.  Our mysterious helper sticks a computer-generated note to the ropes binding the unsubs, stating the crime they commited.  The unsubs themselves admit to their misdeeds.  There have been instances where our helper has captured criminals accused of crimes as heinous as murder.  It's a wonder how he finds them.  I mean, we're talking about people who we've been attempting to track for days on end."

Key, Onew and Taemin exchanged glances.  "That's weird. . ." Key muttered.

"What's up?" Junghan asked.

"Well. . . it's just that. . . Yuki has this habit of stepping out of the dorms late at night.  She always comes back before we wake up of course.  But the only reason I know about her excursions is because there have been a few times when I've walked by her room in the middle of the night to find no one in it," Key explained.

"Interesting. . ." Sihyun said.  The gears were already turning in his head.  "What is it this time Kangdae?"

"Um. . . attempted ," Kangdae said quietly.  Onew, Key, and Taemin's faces contorted in disgust.  "Both unsubs were beated extremely badly, then bound and gagged.  This time, they were left in the back of the police station.  According to them, they've been their since late last night.  We just discovered them a couple of minutes ago.  Both willingly confessed to the crime.  They uh. . . begged to be thrown in jail, just like the other unsubs we've found."

"Where's that note, Officer?" Haru asked, "if it's handwritten, we can track it."

"Right here, sir," Kangdae said, holding out a white slip of paper, "it rained heavily last night, so the paper's a bit damp.  The words are still discernible though."

Sihyun took the paper from Kangdae and read it carefully.  After a few minutes, he shook his head, a small smile on his face.  "It looks like our mysterious helper is a 'she,'" Sihyun said, "and she happens to be quite angry with us."

Sihyun held out the paper for everyone to read.

Reason for Apprehension:  Attempted of a young woman.  (Age:  18)  Bastards. . .

Location:  Downtown Seoul.  Roughly 8 kilometers upstream of the Han River.  The area was completely isolated.  I wouldn't have found them if I hadn't been patrolling around that area. . .

Situation of Unsubs:  They're not injured enough to be sent to the hospital. . . yet.  

Situation of Victim:  I'm taking her to the hospital.  She looks traumatized.  She's not very responsive right now.  All I could get out of her was that the unsubs didn't manage to complete the act since I showed up.  I'm also contacting her family. 

Hey Hyungs~  How's it going?  I'm going to go ahead and assume you know who it is at this point.  Yep, it's me, Yuki :)  Keke, it was fun seeing you guys trying to figure out who'd been helping you out.  I started patrolling again when I noticed how pressured you guys were from the Force.  You guys aren't robots.  Don't push yourselves too hard.  Sihyun Hyung, you can't leave Kyungmi Unnie alone every night T-T  Even if she says it doesn't bother her, I'M angry at you for leaving her alone so often.  You too Junghan Hyung.  When's the last time you took Yejin Unnie out for a date night?  Jesus.  *rolls eyes*  And YOU, Haru Hyung.  I'm probably most angry at you right now.  YOU JUST PROPOSED TO JISU UNNIE!!  You and her have so much planning to do for the wedding and everything!  AISH.  Anyways, because of this, I decided to take the liberty of rounding up criminals on my free time.  Don't worry, it's not getting in the way of my training or missions.  That's why I do it in the middle of the night.  I have a feeling that Key Umma knows that I go out at night though. . . Hopefully he doesn't think I'm doing anything wrong.  Meh, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  ANYWAYS, MY POINT IS:  I know that being an officer comes with sacrifices, but there's only so much you can do.  Kyungmi Unnie married you, Sihyun Hyung, understanding that she would have to make a few sacrifices in terms of the amount of time she could spend with you.  The same goes with Yejin Unnie, Junghan Hyung.  But you guys need to understand that you're not helping them when you stay in the station late EVERY night.  They're probably at home worrying their heads off wondering if you guys are okay.  Haru Hyung, even though you and Jisu Unnie aren't married YET, doesn't mean that she's not constantly fretting about your health and safety.  CAN YOU GUYS AT LEAST GIVE THEM A PHONE CALL ONCE AT NIGHT?! TT-TT  All right, I'm done yelling at you guys.  (You all better go talk to my Unnie-deul or you WILL be hearing from me again).  Just so you know, I'm not going to stop my patrols any time soon.  I know you're probably worried that I'm going to get attacked or something but I'm a SPY for crying out loud.  I'm pretty sure I've been thrown in much more dangerous situations.  Plus, I used to go patrolling with you guys all the time!!  I'LL BE FINE.  *two- salute*  Aren't I always?  Keke, don't answer that.  Anyways, I'll stop by the station again to actually MEET you guys soon.  So much has happened since I last talked to you. . . sheesh.  Anyways, the unsubs are starting to come around again.  I need to go take care of that.  Later Hyungs!

~Bul Yuki


Hooray!!  Another chapter completed!  *throws confetti*  I hope you guys liked it!  This was more centered around the interaction between SHINee and Yuki's Hyungs.  I hope that's okay!  Keke. . . Oh Yuki. . .

Please continue commenting and subscribing!  I get so excited when I see new comments and new subscriptions~ :D  I'll sign off for now, but I'll be back with another chapter real soon!!

~Yuki