Chapter 27: The Incident (Part II) - Trust No One

S.M. Spies

As promised, and because of popular request, here is Part II of "The Incident."  Hopefully, this will satisfy your guys' raging curiousity xD


Yuki watched the sun begin to set at the beach as the pure blue waves gently crashed against the shore.  Any normal day, she would have been relaxing peacefully and building sandcastles with the boys.  Unfortunately, her reasons for being at the beach were slightly unpleasant.  The girl's stomach hurt, imagining how she would feel when she finally discovered who the traitor was.  Her heart hurt, knowing that some unknown person, someone she probably once called a friend, had killed four of her comrades and put South Korea in danger.  

Yuki her dragon pendant, her source of strength in difficult times, as she pushed her emotional thoughts aside and strategized.

Now was not the time to be controlled by emotions alone.

A confrontation with North Korean spies would be pretty bad considering it's just me, the girl thought, frowning, ideally, now would be the best time to go in.  That way, the traitor's alone.

An unsettling thought flashed through Yuki's head.

Will. . . will I be able to fight against my own comrade?

Yuki immediately shook away that thought.  I have to do it.  He's not a comrade anymore.  Whoever this guy is. . . he never WAS a comrade.

With those words, Yuki shut down every emotion except for one which she couldn't seem to get rid of:

hatred.

Standing up, Yuki stealthily made her way towards the cave on the opposite end of the beach.

The cave was almost always deserted because people thought it was haunted.  The only exceptions were a few daredevils that went to go investigate it from time to time.  Yuki felt no fear.  The ghost stories were just rumors.  Plus, there living human beings inside that cave.

Human beings that did more than just scare people.

The girl cursed when her sensitive ears picked up multiple voices inside the cave.

The North Korean representatives had already arrived.

Knowing that she had to act immediately, Yuki crept inside the cave and wove her way through the many stalagmites on the ground.  The cave had already began to subtly glow because of the mysterious rocks embedded in the wall, providing just enough illumination for the girl to see where she was going.  Damn, I never knew how big this place was. . . Yuki thought to herself as the dark hole continued to stretch on.  After what seemed like forever, Yuki saw four silhouettes.  Three of them seemed distinctly feminine while one was clearly masculine.  Finally, she thought.  Her eyes widened when her foot accidentally kicked a loose rock.  One of the figures turned around rapidly, her eyes scanning the darkness.

"It was probably nothing, Raina," the man muttered when he saw nothing, "stay focused."

Yuki tried to calm her rapidly beating heart, ignoring the multiple stabs of pain in her back from the sharp edges of the stalagmite she was hiding behind.  Stay calm, Yuki, the girl thought to herself, and be more careful.  But that guy who just spoke. . . why does it feel like I know him?  Yuki strained her ears to hear the conversation.

"Does anyone suspect you?" one of the females asked, staring at the boy.

"No one, Lizzy," the traitor replied curtly.  His mind briefly flashed to one person who might have an idea but. . . no, impossible.  I got no hint, the man thought.

"Good," the third girl replied, "do you have our information?"

"Of course, Nana," the double-crosser replied easily, "the spies at S.M. are too easy to trick.  They're too soft.  Too trusting.  Fools."

Yuki's blood boiled.  You son-of-a-, she mentally cursed, I'm going to destroy you.  Forget about feeling bad for going against someone I thought used to be a friend, this motherer is going down.

The three North Korean representatives laughed.  "You did well," Raina said, "just give us the information, and you'll recieve your paycheck. . ."
 
Yuki's eyes widened.  Money. . . THIS BETRAYED S.M. FOR MONEY?!  THIS ING, -HEADED, MENTALLY UNSTABLE. . . an endless amount of curse words flowed through Yuki's mind.  The movement of the man caused Yuki to focus back on the confrontation.  The man she assumed to be a traitor pulled something out of his pocket.  Yuki immediately realized that it was a flash drive.
 
"This flash drive contains every single piece of information I've been able to recover regarding S.M.  Their strategies, their plans, their weaknesses, their main bases of operation, and almost any information regarding South Korea's army," the man said haughtily, "it was a wonder that I was able to retrieve it all.  So I would assume that you would understand that I want a little extra than what you usually give me."
 
"We'll see," the girl called Raina said, "if we find that this information goes beyond our expectations, we'll consider your request."
 
Yuki's eyes grew to the size of dish plates.  If those three representatives got that information, all hope would be lost for South Korea.
 
They would be utterly destroyed.
 
Yuki's next actions were based off of pure instinct.
 
And fury.
 
"Here's your information," the traitor said.  He was about to pass over the small flash drive when suddenly, there was a loud gunshot.  The three girls shrieked in fear, surprised by the sudden noise.  
 
BANG!
 
The second gunshot caused stalacites to rain from the ceiling.  "!" the girl named Nana cursed, "we've been discovered!  Move it, girls!  We need to get out of here before we're caught!  And YOU."  Nana turned to the stunned man with a sneer.  "The superiors WILL hear about this."
 
"Don't expect do get out of this," Lizzy clarified, "once our superiors hear about this, no one will be able to protect you, regardless of whether or not you lead us into a trap, you failed to double check your surroundings."
 
"Actually," Raina said with a smirk, "whoever's here with you might finish you off first.  And if he does. . . feel lucky scumbag."

Without another word.  The three girls agiley sprinted out of the cave.  Yuki thought about following them for a second, but she voted against it.  They didn't get the information, and catching the traitor was more important.
 
The man pulled his gun out of his pocket and pointed to his left and right.  "Who goes there?!" he demanded, "show yourself!  Who are you?!"
 
BANG! 
 
The gun flew out of the man's hand in splinters as the bullet hit it.  His ears twitched when he heard a female voice behind him.  "The better question. . ." Yuki said, stepping out of the shadows with a gun pointed at the unknown man's back, "is who are you?"
 
The traitor smirked and shook his head, recognizing the girl's voice.  "Hello, Yuki," he said, turning around to face the girl, "fancy meeting you here."
 
Yuki almost dropped her gun in shock.
 
There, smirking at her as if there was absolutely nothing wrong with the current situation, was one of the men Yuki had the most faith in:
 
Hyun Daeho.
 
The two simply stared at each other.  Yuki's mind was a chaotic mess of turmoil, but at the same time, it was blank.  She couldn't process what she was seeing.  She thought it was a joke.  The. . . the boys are just playing a prank on me, that's all.  Yeah, a prank!  This isn't seriously happening.  Daeho can't be a traitor!  That's impossible!  NONE OF THIS IS POSSIBLE!  Daeho can't. . . he would never. . . 
 
this isn't real.
 
Someone please tell me that this isn't real.
 
Daeho smirked once more, showing no hint of remorse or fear.
 
In that one moment, Yuki's idea of the word trust was shattered.
 
"You. . ." Yuki managed to choke out, "how. . . how could you?"
 
"Oh please, Yuki-ya," Daeho said tauntingly as he began taking steps towards the stunned girl, "don't tell me you're surprised?  Oh wait wait, don't tell me:  you actually TRUSTED me?!"  Daeho took Yuki's silence for confirmation.
 
"AHAHAHAHAHA!  I can't believe this!  S.M.'s best rookie, Lee Soo Man's favorite spy, wasn't able to see past my act?!  Incredible!" the man said, throwing his head back and laughing as if he had gone mad.
 
"Why?" was the only word that came out of Yuki's mouth, "why did you do it, Daeho?  I thought-"
 
"Thought WHAT?" Daeho snapped, "thought that we were friends?  Thought that I actually LIKED being a part of S.M.?  WRONG!  I supposed I owe you some type of explaination before I kill you.
 
Yes, Yuki.  am the double-crosser in S.M.  am the one who has been passing information to North Korea.  The murders of Heechul, Jaejin, Yoosung, and Jinyoung?  All of it was me.  Why did I do it?  Simple:  the money.  S.M. doesn't pay well, Yuki.  North Korea offered me money and so much more.  
 
They gave me an offer that I couldn't resist."
 
"Daeho, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" Yuki finally exploded, "DO YOU REALIZE THE MAGNITUDE OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?!  YOU MURDERED YOUR OWN COMRADES?!  You murdered your FRIENDS?!" 
 
"How many ing times do I have to tell you, Yuki?!" Daeho hissed, "I never believed in friends at S.M.  Oh, and I suppose you would want to know.  That 'masked perpetrator' that almost succeeded in killing you last month?
 
That was me."
 
Yuki felt more pieces of herself breaking at Daeho's words.  Daeho, her partner, her closest confidante, her friend. . .
 
had tried to take her life.
 
"You're not Daeho," Yuki said flatly, trying to control herself.
 
Daeho tilted his head to the side.  "Oh?  But I'm sure I am."
 
"You're a monster," Yuki spat, "a monster that's been corrupted by greed and blinded by power.  You didn't just betray me.  You didn't just betray your friends.
 
You betrayed an entire country."
 
Daeho bowed at Yuki's words.  "Why thank you.  I am honored to know that my acting skills are that good.  Oh, but enough about me," Daeho said with a wave of his hand, "I'm more interested in you, Yuki.  Enlighten me:  How did you manage to put the pieces together?  I was sure that I left no trace."
 
"I placed a tab on the phone of every member of S.M. and tracked all out-going and in-going calls from out of the country," Yuki said through gritted teeth, "I intercepted one of the conversations you held with the North Koreans and deciphered it."
 
Daeho applauded.  "I suppose I do have to applaud you," he said, "that was an impressive display of your mental skill."
 
"So I suppose everytime you told me or the others that you were busy, this is what you were doing?" Yuki asked, not even bothering to respond to Daeho's "compliment."
 
"Very good," Daeho said mockingly, "you're catching on!"
 
Yuki let out a noise of disgust.  All of her sadness was being replaced by pure, white fury.  Although her trust was broken, Yuki was finally able to shut out all of her emotions.  She knew what the punishment for traitors was.  And this man in front of her. . .
 
He was never a friend.
 
"You know what happens now, right?" Yuki asked, raising her gun again.  She couldn't stop her hand from shaking.
 
"Oh come now, Yuki," Daeho said, chuckling, "we both know who's stronger out of the two of us.  Don't forget. . .
 
I was the one that taught you everything you know."  [A/N:  Yuki learned quite a bit from her time in Seoul's gangs, but Daeho was the one who refined her skills and taught her deadlier moves.]
 
Yuki kept her gaze hard as she tried to steady her shooting hand.  "Things don't have to be this way, Daeho," Yuki warned, "you can come quietly and we can sort this out at S.M.  You don't have to di-"
 
Yuki was cut off when Daeho made a straight sprint towards and knocked her gun out of her hand, sending a roundhouse kick to her face just right after.  The girl quite literally flew into the cave wall, hitting her head painfully hard.  Her gun was nowhere in sight.  Yuki stood up shakily, shaking her head in order to clear her blurry vision.  She tasted blood in .  I'm not giving up that easily. . . the girl thought to herself.  Daeho looked at her and chuckled.
 
"Spare yourself, Yuki," he said proudly, "it's barely been over a year since you've started working as a spy.  You've got no chance against me."
 
In the back of her head, Yuki knew that her chances of winning were minimal.  Daeho had at least three times the amount of experience that she did.  She wouldn't be able to last very long.
 
But that didn't mean that she wasn't going to put up a huge fight.  The entirety of South Korea was at stake.  
 
Wiping the small amount of blood off the corner of her lip, Yuki glared at Daeho again.  "Are you just gonna stand there and run your mouth?" she asked, "or are you gonna fight me?"
 
Growling, Daeho wasted no time in charging Yuki.  The girl was prepared this time.  She blocked his first attack easily and countered with her own.  Daeho batted the attack aside and sent a fist flying into Yuki's stomach, causing the girl to double over in pain.  Yuki refused to back down and used her position to tackle Daeho to the ground and send a punch straight to his face.  She got up quickly before he could grab her.  
 
Daeho was right in a sense.  Every attack Yuki threw at Daeho was easily countered.  
 
She just didn't have enough experience going against fully trained spies yet.
 
Therefore, it was no surprise when Daeho managed to pin Yuki to the ground, his hands slowly choking off the air going to her lungs.  "You fool," Daeho said he watched Yuki struggle underneath him, "don't you see?  You never had a chance against me.  You would never survive on your own.  I don't know what Soo Man was thinking, sending a mere female into the field.  I knew it wouldn't work from the very beginning.  Soo Man says that YOU'LL become S.M.'s greatest spy?  HA!  Face it, Yuki,
 
you're just a helpless little girl."
 
Yuki's hands scrabbled against the cave floor as she fought to stay conscious.  Air was no longer flowing to her lungs.  Suddenly, felt her hand touch something large and rough.
 
"GAHHHHH!" Daeho shouted at the rock in Yuki's hand came into contact with his skull.  He stumbled backwards, releasing Yuki's neck in the process.  The girl backed away on all fours and finally stood up, coughing and gasping for air.  Out of the corner of her eye, Yuki saw her gun.  Carefully, she picked it up and placed it in her back pocket.  I'll pull that out later, Yuki thought, right now. . . this guy needs to be taken down a couple notches.
 
"Helpless. . . little girl. . . am I?" Yuki asked between pants, "I'll. . . show you!"
 
A vicious snarl escaped Daeho's throat as he threw himself at Yuki again.
 
 

Yuki eyed the man in front of her with disgust.  She was badly wounded, but her fury was numbing the pain.  She had to end this.  Daeho lay on the floor, breathing heavily.  He was very near dead.  He stared at the girl and smirked.  "You can't kill me," Daeho said, "come on now. . . partner."  Yuki flinched inwardly, but kept her face expressionless.

"You're an enemy of the country," she said icily, "I hold no affiliation with you.  You mean nothing to me."

"Are you sure about that?" Daeho asked.  Yuki hesitated.

"Positive," she replied.  The man noticed her pause.  He decided to take advantage of it.

"Come on Yuki," Daeho implored, "you can still join me.  Come with me.  We can still be partners.  We'll just be working under a different government.  Think about the possibilities.  Do you think you can get out of here alive if you kill me?  We're both badly injured.  We need to work together to make it out of here.  You know I've always liked you, Yuki.  That night I tried to kill you. . . you didn't escape death because you were more skilled, couldn't bring myself to do it."  Yuki hardened at Daeho's words, knowing that every word coming out of his filthy mouth was just a ploy.  Pulling at the remnants of her fading strength, Yuki finally pulled out her gun.  There was no other option.

"You never could keep up with Key in terms of acting," Yuki said emotionlessly.  Every feeling inside of her was lost as she robotically removed the safety from her gun.  "Sorry, but I will NEVER betray my country. . . traitor."  Daeho tried to use Yuki's distraction as an advantage.  He lunged at Yuki from his position on the ground, knife in hand.  Without blinking an eye, Yuki pulled the trigger.  There was a muffled sound.  Yuki had placed a silencer on her gun in order to avoid any type of attention.

Everything was silent.  

Yuki attatched a small clip to her ear and spoke into it.  "Mission accomplished.  Target eliminated.  The information has been recovered."

"Well done," Soo Man replied, "are you all right?"

Before Yuki could respond, the last of her strength left her body.  She crumpled to the floor.  The last thing she heard was Soo Man yell "YUKI?!" in a panicked voice.

Then the world turned black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~END FLASHBACK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Minho could only stare at the girl next to him after she finished her story.  

"After I passed out, I woke up in S.M.'s infirmary.  Soo Man-ssi was with me.  He told me that Daeho was dead.  I. . . I had killed him.  After doing a little digging of my own, I found out that Daeho had been swayed by the three girls that I had seen at the cave.  They call themselves Orange Caramel.  I'm not sure if they still work for North Korea's S.S.D., but they're the reason why everything ended up the way it did.

After that day, my training time increased ten-fold.  There were many nights where I didn't go back to the dorm, or the boys had to take me to the infirmary for overexertion.  Ever since that betrayal, I stopped trusting.  Jinki, Taemin, Key, Jonghyun, even Soo Man-ssi. . . none of them know exactly what happened.  I never told anyone.  There's a reason i went solo after Daeho's death.  I couldn't stand getting a partner again," Yuki said, sighing.

For some reason, Minho's stomach clenched at Yuki's last sentence.  "Were you. . . romantically involved with him?" he asked hesitantly.

"Daeho?  Oh god no.  I never viewed him in that light at all.  I've never liked anyone before, Keroro.  You of all people should know that."

Minho unconsciously let out a sigh of relief.  

"I had other concerns," Yuki continued, "what if my next partner also turned traitor?  What if I didn't realize?  My naïvety caused four deaths the first time.  Four.  How many deaths would result the next time around?  Needless to say, I got seriously paranoid.  Key tried to get me to open up multiple times, but it just wouldn't work.  I just. . . clammed up.  I trusted no one after that incident.  No one.  In the very back of my head. . . my worst fear is witnessing another betrayal.  I don't know what would become of me if it ever happened again."

Silence followed Yuki's statement.  Finally, the girl got up and stretched.  "So now you know," she said.

"Yeah. . ." Minho muttered, "now I know.  Ice Princess. . . I'm sorry that that had to happen to you. . ."

"Don't be," Yuki said bitterly, "I was foolish back then.  I know better now.  Anyways, I'm gonna head out.  We probably have to start that report for Soo Man-ssi."

Yuki walked towards the door and was about to leave when Minho suddenly called out to her.

"Wait!" he yelled.  Yuki turned to look at him with an eyebrow raised.  "You said that you never told anyone this story before because you said you'd never confide or trust in anyone ever again, didn't you?"

Yuki cracked a small smile.  "Funny isn't it?" she asked, "I finally decided to put my full trust on somebody again. . .

And that somebody happens to be my worst enemy."

With that, Yuki exited the White Room, leaving a dumbfounded Minho behind her.


WHOA.  Sooo, now you guys know~  I guess Yuki's life can never be easy, huh?  The next couple chapters are gonna be quite interesting, so hopefully you guys stay tuned to check 'em out!! :D  

Hmmm. . . Yuki and Minho.  I wonder what's gonna happen to these two. . . ;D  Anyways, I hope you all liked this chapter!!! <3  Thank you for all your supportive comments!! ^_^

Please do continue to comment and subscribe!!  Subscriptions make me happy :D

And guess what?  WE HIT THE THIRTY SUBBIE MILESTONE!!! :DDDDD

A HUGE thank you to the two new subbies I gained in one day! WOW!!  Definitely was not expecting that!!

AmandaW
AmandaW 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Until next time then, you guys!!  I hope you're all having a wonderful vacation!!! <333

~Yuki