Choice

His Perfect Match

Siwon’s POV

 

All of us were waiting in Zee’s room as the doctor’s took another x-ray of her spine. Zee was in panic when she felt she couldn’t move her legs. We were too and probably would’ve reacted almost the same. The doctor sedated her before bringing her for x-ray.

We sent the other members home first as the doctor was pretty surprised to see so many people in the room when he came in. Only Kyuhyun, Henry, Yesung hyung, Leeteuk hyung and Heechul hyung stayed.

I glanced at Heechul hyung who was still slightly teary as well as Henry. Even I couldn’t help it as well. Zee is already a part of the family and this happens.

All our heads snapped up as the door opened and Zee was carried in with the doctor closely behind.

            “may I asked you to come with me to my office?” the doctor said looking at Henry.

            “ne.” Henry said silently walking towards the doctor.

            “can we come too?” I asked voicing out the question the others were thinking as well.

the doctor looked at us carefully then nodded before walking out.

            “I’ll stay here with Zee. You guys can go ahead.” Yesung hyung said walking towards Zee.

Heechul hyung kissed Zee’s forehead before walking out.

Leeteuk hyung was talking to our manager on the phone asking to delay our schedules for a few hours today. Manager hyung wasn’t happy but he understood but only gave Leeteuk hyung and Yesung hyung an hour of delay and 2 hours for Heechul hyung and me.

We all sat at the chair in the doctor’s office while he put up Zee’s x-ray film and sowed us the problem.

            “you see here?” encircling the part with the cap of his pen. “the nerves of the lumbar part of her spine has been compressed by the swelling which made her temporarily paralyzed from her waist down. It swelled more than we expected it to.” He explained then sat down.

Wait…did he just say temporarily?

            “Temporarily?” Heechul hyung spoke this time, his voice a bit raspy.

            “yes, the swelling can be reduced by surgery, but if left untreated, there’s a possibility that the swelling may increase and cause even more damage to the nerves and make her paralysis permanent.”

We all looked at Henry.

            “I need to talk to Zee again when she wakes up.” He said answering the question in our heads.

            “How soon does she need the surgery?” I asked.

            “as soon as possible, the swelling is growing faster than expected.” The doctor looked calm, probably due to his many experience with things like this.

            “will you be able to decide for her, Henry?” Leeteuk hyung asked putting a comforting arm around Henry. I could not fathom the pressure he must be feeling right now. His decision could alter his cousin’s life forever.

            “do I really have to decide for her?” he asked silently.

            “it’s protocol that only her family could decide on it. Since you’re her only family here, it should be you.” The doctor replied almost sounding sympathetically.

            “ok, do it.” he said after a few minutes of silence. The doctor nodded and stood up.

We all walked out in silence as Henry signed the paper works.

            “guys we need to go but I’ve called Ryeowook and ZhouMi to come. You two better leave soon as well or you’ll get into trouble.” Leeteuk hyung said preparing to leave with Yesung hyung.

            “we will try to get back after our schedules.” Yesung hyung added. They both glanced at Heechul hyung who was sitting silently at a corner but left without saying anything.

I walked towards Heechul hyung and sat beside him.

            “you ok, hyung?” I asked. He breathed deeply and leaned his head on the wall.

            “I feel absolutely miserable.” He said shutting his eyes. “How can I be so stupid to not realize what was happening?”

            “none of us did. Even Teukie hyung and HyukJae only found out after Yonghwa told them about it.” I explained trying to comfort him. But knowing hyung I know it’s all in vain. “and you know Zee.”

He opened his eyes and sighed, but I saw his fists were clenched.

            “yeah, she would’ve wanted not to get me involved and solve it on her own.” He said through gritted teeth. He probably was too frustrated at Zee more than anything but it looks more like he’s blaming himself.

            “hyung, don’t blame yourself for this. It’s not your fault.”

            “I know, but somehow I feel little bit responsible. I should’ve been more careful about the effects of my decision to go public with my relationship.” Hyung pinched the bridge of his nose.

His phone suddenly rang and he fished it out of his pocket.

            “yeoboseyo?” he answered robotically.

I saw him stiffened then his expression changed to rage.

            “I will be right there.” He said before hanging up.

            “hyung, who was it?” I asked concerned, hyung looked like he was about to punch a whole through the wall. I mean he couldn’t really do it but you know.

            “it was the police. They said they’ve finished questioning the ones responsible for the accident. They called if we wanted to proceed with charging them.” He started walking towards the elevator punching the down button as he got there.

            “I assume you’re going there. But for what, hyung?” this isn’t going to be pretty.

            “if you’re coming with me, don’t ask too many questions.” He said full of venom in his voice. I gulped.

We stepped in the elevator and went to the ground floor.

Lucky for us, we met Ryeowook and ZhouMi in the lobby so we just borrowed their cover-ups. We didn’t get much from ZhouMi though; he’d rather be a fashionista than be caught in a dreadful disguise. None of us brought our cars so we had to take a taxi to the station. Lucky for us, it isn’t that far from the hospital.

The only thought I have now is that hopefully there wouldn’t be much news on this one. I know it’s a long shot since this was a very serious accident but I just hope our names wouldn’t get involve. It could get pretty nasty.

We walked into the station with glasses and caps. I, personally feel awkward wearing the clothes I wore coz if you were a stalker you’d know a celebrity is behind the disguise.

            “we’re here for detective Kim Seung Il? He’s the one in charge of the hit-and-run accident this morning?” I asked at the information desk. Hyung’s aura behind me isn’t exactly helping me right now.

the officer looked up at me, huffed and pointed at a man from behind him, not even bothering to look.

I assumed that the only person from behind him was the one we’re looking for as he had 3 girls sitting with him.

            “ok thanks.”

Hyung and I walked towards the detective; he looked up and stood up to shake our hands as soon as he saw us.

I glanced at hyung, he was still bright red with rage.

            “I think I should handle this, hyung.” I put a hand to his shoulder, as he seemed ready to wreck havoc in the station.

To my surprise his tensed shoulder relaxed and he deeply breathed in then out.

            “I can handle this.” He said in a low voice.

I guess I’ll just have to keep an eye on hyung.

We walked towards the detective and noticing the approaching figures he looked up from his computer.

            “detective Kim Seung Il?” I asked. the detective nodded curtly.

            “yes, nice to meet you.” He extended his hand and shook hyung’s and mine. “please have a seat.” He said gesturing to the chairs beside his table.

            “are they the ones responsible for the accident?” Heechul hyung asked in an obviously controlled voice.

            “ah. Yes. We interviewed the taxi driver and he managed to take down the plate number on their car. We ran it through the system and found it registered to a Kim Dong Baek, who apparently is her father.” The detective gestured to the girl sitting in the middle.

My gaze shifted to her and from the looks of it she’s the only one who seemed the calmest. She looked nervous after seeing the rage in Heechul hyung’s eyes but still calmer compared to the other two who looked like they were about to have a mental breakdown.

            “we…we…didn’t mean to…do it.” the girl farthest from us spoke. She was shivering from head to toe to the point where she couldn’t even look up. “we…ju…just…wanted to…s…scare her…that’s all.”

            “shut up, Ki-Ah!” hissed the girl in the middle.

To be honest, I was too disgusted to even respond or to even continue looking at them. I know I have to forgive and forget, but that seemed too impossible for me to do at the moment.

Detective Kim, like me, ignored them.

            “we ‘re finished taking their statements and none denied—“

            “you didn’t mean to?” Heechul hyung said with menace in his voice. all 3 girls shrank in their seats but the other one recovered.

            “hyung…” I put an arm on his shoulder; my feeble attempt to calm him down.

            “she’s now paralyzed from her waist down and it might mean she could never walk again and now you’re saying you didn’t mean to?! Are you ing kidding me!?” hyung raised his voice. a few heads turned to our direction.

The 2 girls had gone white while the other one kept her composure.

            “she deserved what she got.” She said in her shakey voice then looked up to look at Heechul hyung straight in the eyes. “she deserved it for flirting with you! And for seducing you!”

            “and you know that how?! You really think you know all about me just because you follow me around? Well, guess what?! snap out of your deluded worlds!”

            “but we’re your most devoted fans!” the girl argued.

            “you know I might’ve still considered you fans even you still follow me around. But as soon as the people I care about a lot starts getting hurt because of what you’re doing, then I consider you something even more worse than antis.” Heechul hyung spat. At this time detective Kim stood up to control the situation.

            “he’s right, Min. we really did something awful.” The other girl burst into tears.

            “no we didn’t, he should be glad we saved him form that .” The girl named Min said not backing down.

            “you better watch you word while you’re here, young lady.” Detective Kim warned. He looked at us. “I actually called you over to ask if you’d want continue with the charge. The press have been calling nonstop regarding updates about the accident, they don’t know about the connection to you of course but we could arrange so that your names won’t get involved.”

            “that would be preferable, thanks.” I answered trying to get hyung’s mind off the girls. “hyung, will you press charges?”

            “yes.” Hyung answered automatically. The 2 girls burst into tears.

            “how can you charge us when we only did it for your best interest!? She will ruin you!” the girl Min almost shrieked. Most of the people’s attentions were on us now. not good.

Hyung turned his head creepily towards the girls and he stood up slowly.

            “the best thing that will happen to me is that for you to leave.me.alone!” hyung said through gritted teeth. He leaned closer to the 3 girls, leaning on the table. “and if anything worse will happen to MY girl, the you’re sure to wish you’ve never been born.” This time Min shivered and shrank in her seat.

Hyung straightened up after hearing detective Kim clear his throat. After signing a few papers we left the station. There wasn’t much time for us to go back to the hospital but Heechul hyung called Henry to give him updates and that he’ll be back after his schedules, which will already be very late.

            “hyung, we need to get dinner. You haven’t eaten since this morning.”

            “not hungry. Let’s just go.” He said as he got into a taxi. I couldn’t help but let put a sigh.

I have a very eerie feeling about what may happen in the coming days but I just hope it’s not as bad as I feel it’s going to be.

 

1 am, 6 hours later

 

Henry’s POV

 

It’s been 2 hours since Zee’s surgery. The doctor said there were no complications and the surgery was successful. The only thing left now is that her full recovery will depend on how she’ll do during her physical therapy sessions.

Ryeowook hyung left about an hour ago to prepare for his morning schedules but ZhouMi stayed behind. He’s sleeping on the couch while I stayed up. I couldn’t really sleep even if I wanted to.

I jumped in surprise when the door opened. It was Heechul hyung.

            “hyung, why are you here?” I asked, I already told him there was no need for him to come back tonight, as she’s already fine.

            “couldn’t help it. how is she?” he asked. sitting on Zee’s other side.

            “she’s stable now. the doctors are just waiting for her to wake up.”  I sighed looking at my cousin. “by the way, how did it go with the police?”

            “same old, we proceeded with the charges. Police are charging them with attempted homicide. Serves them right if you ask me.” hyung replied angrily. He threw his cap on the table and rubbed the back of his neck.

            “yeah…” silence…

            “did you call her parents?” hyung suddenly asked after a few minutes of total silence.

            “yes, but I just told them that it was because of a speeding car and that Zee is ok now. they wanted to come but there’s a pretty big storm in Canada so they can’t.” I breathed out, a bit relieved coz I don’t know if I can keep the finer details to myself if they’re here.

Hyung nodded.

A few minutes later, Zee twitched her hand and stirred. Hyung was the first one to stand up.

            “Zee?”

her eyes opened and saw hyung then me. then she looked like she was about to burst into tears.

            “I… I can’t walk now…right?” her voice hoarse and cracking. Hyung and I looked at each other.

            “it was just temporary. It’s a long story, but you can still walk. You just need to rest for a while.” Hyung explained. Even he shed off his jokes at this time.

Zee glanced at her feet then we saw her face contorted with effort then we saw her toe move a little. She started panting.

            “Zee, don’t over exert yourself, you just got out of surgery.” I told her trying to stop her from doing anything else.

Tears fell from the side of her eyes. She was silent and just held Heechul hyung’s hand.

            “Henry, call the doctor, tell him she’s awake.” Hyung said sitting down beside Zee on the bed. I nodded and walked out.

the doctor only had to do a bit of check up on Zee and he said everything is going well and that she could be discharged on Friday. He also told Zee about the therapy that she’ll have to undergo if she wants to recover the use of her legs. It will take years for her to fully recover though.

Hyung had to leave so he left after an hour or two.

            “you called my parents?” Zee asked.

            “done. They wanted to come but the storm in Canada is not letting them. But they told me to call as soon as you wake up.” I glanced at ZhouMi who was sleeping like a rock.

            “oh joy…” she grimaced, probably imagining how her parents are going to react.

            “I know. I’ll call them in the morning. You can just go to sleep now, cuz.” I smiled adjusting her pillows.

She suddenly grabbed my wrist lightly.

            “tell me, Henry, it was the sasaengs…right?” she asked in a flat voice. I froze and I looked at her.

She got my answer from my expression and just nodded. She breathed out and closed her eyes. Judging from her expression she’s deeply in thought of something.

 

Friday

 

Today is Zee’s discharge and she seemed to improve in each day. She was able to sit properly for one and Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun hyung pitched in to give her an electric wheelchair.

Most of the hyungs couldn’t visit as often though due to their promotions and Heechul hyung obviously tried hard not to make his preoccupied expressions too obvious but some fans noted that he seemed quiet in live broadcasts.

The hyungs’ gifts made it even more difficult for us to pack last night. From Ryeowook hyung’s pillows to Shindong hyung’s food supply, but thanks to Angela and EunHee, we managed to get most of them out. Void even dropped in to visit once but Heechul banned him after he teased Zee that she wouldn’t be able to chase him out of the house now.

Zee may have improved physically but sometimes I catch her staring out the window and spacing out. I often ask her what’s on her mind but she says it’s nothing and gets back to being cheery when there are some people to visit her. Yunho hyung and BoA noona called her a few times but they couldn’t be here as they were in Japan. Even Lee Soo Man seonsaengnim sent some flowers.

            “hyung said he’ll come to pick you up at 1pm today.” I said after packing a few of her stuff. It was still quite early but better to be ready early.

            “yeah, I know, he’s been reminding me since last night.” Zee groaned. I grinned.

A knock on the door diverted our attention.

            “Siwon oppa!” Zee happily greeted.

            “hi Zee, I was on my way to the set but I thought I’d drop in since it’s on the way.” Siwon hyung entered with a basket of fruit. Oh joy! Another thing to pack.

            “you shouldn’t have, oppa, I’m getting discharged this afternoon.” Zee replied as I took the basket from him onto a table.

            “oh… that’s great then!” hyung smiled and sat in on one of the chairs.

            “Henry, can you get some sandwiches in the café pls? I’m feeling a bit hungry.” Zee asked.

weird I offered her food a while ago and she said she wasn’t hungry.

            “ok.” I furrowed my brows but left anyway.

I went down to the ground floor café and bought the sandwiches she asked for it took me a couple of minutes since they had to make it still.

            “Sorry if I took so long, the—“ I halted.

Zee and Siwon hyung are nowhere to be seen.

 

Siwon’s POV

 

            “Zee, I don’t really think this is a good idea.” I said glancing at Zee beside me.

            “I just want to clear my head, oppa. I couldn’t do it at the hospital with all the noise and all.” she said looking out the window.

Zee texted me last night asking for a favor. She knew I’d be away on a beach for my drama shoot and she asked me if she could come. I stupidly agreed. There was a small cabin the staff rented out where Zee can stay. The beach would also be secured today for the scene.

            “why wouldn’t you want Henry to know? He could’ve come with us.” I asked curiously.

            “you know, Henry, he wouldn’t stop talking if he’d come.” She was right. Henry would’ve constantly asked her what’s wrong.

            “what about, hyung?”

            “he’s…busy.” She bit her lip and slightly squinted.

Something tells me that there’s something about to happen and it isn’t nice.

I didn’t ask anymore question after that.

We arrived at the location about 15 minutes later and all throughout the trip didn’t stop ringing until she turned the power off even mine started ringing but I just ignored it.

I rolled her wheelchair to the porch over looking the ocean and she inhaled deeply.

            “will you be ok alone here?” I asked looking over to the set.

            “yeah, I’ll be ok. Don’t worry.” She smiled and I walked away.

I know I should listen to her. But I can’t let the others worry not knowing where she is.

I texted Heechul hyung at least that Zee is with me.

 

Heechul’s POV

 

            “honest, hyung! she asked me to buy her a sandwich and when I got back she and Siwon hyung were gone!” Henry shouted in panic.

I arrived about 30 minutes ago to pick her up but Zee wasn’t there anymore we searched the building but no one saw them both leave, which was a let down that they didn’t see a celebrity pass by with a woman in a wheelchair.

            “you said they’ve gone missing for more than an hour now?” I asked. This is definitely frustrating that Zee wouldn’t even answer my calls and now she has turned her cellphone off.

            “yes and there was no letter or any text or whatever.” Henry said pacing in the room.

            “have you called Siwon?” I asked.

            “yes but he wouldn’t answer.” Probably be because he started his shoot already.

My cellphone vibrated. A message just came in from Siwon.

            “yah, Zee’s with him.” I told Henry looking down at the message. But he didn’t say anything about where they were.

            “did he say anything about where they went?” I shook my head.

            “but I have a pretty good idea where and where to ask.”

            “huh? How’d you know?”

            “According to Siwon your cousin said she wanted to think.”

            “and?” but I didn’t answer him, I grabbed my bag and ran out of the room.

There’s only one place Zee would go if she wanted to think.

 

Henry’s POV

 

I couldn’t catch up to Heechul hyung but I ran into Kyuhyun hyung and Void at the hospital lobby.

            “yah, where are you going? I thought Zee is going to be discharged today?” Kyuhyun asked.

            “Zee went missing, she’s with Siwon hyung but I don’t know where they went. But Heechul hyung knows but didn’t tell me.” I said in a hurry.

            “ohhh… so there’s some love triangle forming with the horse and le bro’s girl now?” Void joked. Kyuhyun hyung and I glared at him.

            “c’mon let’s follow hyung and if we can’t catch him, let’s call Siwon or manager hyung.” Kyuhyun hyung suggested and we all ran out of the hospital.

 

Heechul’s POV

 

I will definitely have a long talk with Zee as to why she had to disappear even though I’d eventually find out where she was.

I called manager hyung and he told me the location of Siwon’s drama shoot.

I was lucky enough that there weren’t much people present and looking around the place I knew where Zee would’ve been.

I walked over to the cabin and true enough I saw her on the porch.

            “you could’ve told me where you wanted to go.” I said walking over to her.

She wasn’t the least bit surprised by my presence.

            “I knew find out eventually anyway.” She replied not looking back at me.

            “or unless what you wanted to think about involves me.” I shoved my hands into my pockets.

I already expected the effects of what happened might have on her and I’ve started preparing myself for the worse. But Zee is strong she just wouldn’t crumble like that.

            “I’m thinking, I’ve never really called you ‘oppa’ like I do to the others.” That caught me off guard.

            “you never did like calling me that so I never forced you to. Why? Suddenly got the urge to call me that?” I grinned and she laughed a bit.

            “maybe I do.” She said glancing up at me. “oppa.”

I felt goosebumps all over my arms and neck as soon as she said it.

            “somehow it feels awkward hearing you call me that.” I laughed again.

            “oppa, I need to tell you something?” she said suddenly serious. I sat down beside her.

            “I knew you wanted to soften me up to your request. What is it?” I smiled.

She looked at me then out to the ocean. I don’t know if it was my imagination but I thought I saw her eyes getting teary.

            “I’m going back to Canada.” I froze.

            “what? I mean can you travel with you just getting discharged?”

            “the doctor’s cleared me to travel next week.”

            “ok good. When are you coming back?” I asked but from the looks of her I got the answer before she could say it.

 

 

            “I…I’m not coming back.”

 

-------------------------------------

i'm finally back after more than 2 weeks of hiatus! this chap is a bit fast-paced i know..i was so sleepy all day because of the medicine i'm taking for my cough..:)

i hope this chap will satisfy you though and with this it's obvious that there's only a few more chapters left before i finally close this story..wah! thanks to all the new subscribers!!! love you all! i think i got 5 or 6 new ones since i posted the last chap..weee!

i love the flood of comments but i apologize if i cant respond to them one by one as of the moment..my eyes are really about to fall off, i just wanted to finish this chapter to fulfill my promis to post this today..:D enjoy!

ps. photo is mine take out with proper credits and chap still unedited..:)