Of Good and Evil

The Sworn

 

chapter seven                
✧✦Of Good and Evil✦✧

 

"Wow," DongHae blinked up at the large building as they walked into it. "Is the whole building your company?" He'd been distracted a good portion of the trip, only waking up the last ten minutes to question KyuHyun on what exactly his job was going to be.

"... Yes, one of several," KyuHyun sighed, trying to keep his head down as they pushed their way to an elevator. "Just keep quiet until I get this job for you okay? Are you capable of doing that?"

"Yeah!" DongHae nodded, smiling widely. "Won't I have to have an interview though? Who's the boss? Is he nice?"

"No, HyunJoong, and no," KyuHyun replied to each question curtly. "I'll make sure you get something easy to do so you won't mess anything up, and whatever you do, avoid SungMin like the plague if you can help it."

"Who's SungMin?" DongHae frowned. "And why are you always so mean to me, I haven't done anything to you. I took a bullet for your friend too."

"I'm mean to everyone, you'll just have to get used to it," KyuHyun said, pressing the call button for the elevator repeatedly. "And YoungSaeng is not my friend."

"Don't get why not, he's a nice guy." DongHae blinked as the elevator opened finally and he stepped inside with KyuHyun. "Oh, I have a degree in Fine Arts! Would that help me get the job?"

"... No," KyuHyun sighed, hitting the button for the right floor. "But if you say you have a degree, then maybe you can get one of those cushy jobs that pay well."

"Oh, that sounds nice," the older man grinned. "But I'll be happy for any job really, not many people are hiring around now. It kinda ." He brightened when the elevator opened again, following KyuHyun like a puppy.

"I can't guarantee you'll get anything, depends on how good of a mood HyunJoong is in," KyuHyun muttered. He dropped his coat off at his cubicle and started down the long hall towards HyunJoong's office. "I hope he got laid last night."

DongHae followed KyuHyun down the hallway, hands clasped behind his back so he wouldn't touch anything as he peered at the cubicles they passed. "It's so quiet here."

"Yes it is, keep that in mind," KyuHyun replied. They stopped in front of HyunJoong's secretary's desk, the woman looking up at them with a frown.

"He's in a meeting, doesn't want to be disturbed," she said.

"Can you just tell him I'd like to talk to him?" KyuHyun said, smiling at the poor woman. Wasn't fair to be unpleasant towards her just because of who her boss was.

"...Okay, fine," she sighed, picking up her phone. "Sir? KyuHyun is here... he has a guest. He wants to speak to you."

"..." HyunJoong's nose wrinkled and he opened his eyes slowly. "Alright, send them in," he said, setting down the phone. "KyuHyun's interrupting us."

"Oh?" SungMin stood up, looking unfazed by the interruption. "He doesn't do that very often, it's like he hates you or something." He wiped his mouth, hopping up onto the edge of HyunJoong's desk. "Does that mean I'm being kicked out?"

"He doesn't hate me," HyunJoong chuckled, adjusting his pants. "If I kick you out it'll be an hour before I get you back here and you're not done making it up to me for being late last night. Again."

"But you like it when I have to make things up to you," SungMin grinned, kicking his legs back and forth. "It helps with the stress."

"Except you are half the cause of that stress," HyunJoong pointed out. He glanced at the door when he heard it open, smirking at seeing KyuHyun coming in. "Well, this is a surprise KyuHyun, what can I do for you?"

Pulling DongHae in with him, KyuHyun grumbled internally when he saw SungMin was there. Well this wasn't going to go smoothly. "Look, KyuJong wants a favor," he said, pushing DongHae forward. "This guy needs a job."

DongHae flailed a little when he was pushed forward. "Uh...hi!" He smiled brightly, bowing a full 90 degrees to HyunJoong. "My name's Lee DongHae, I have a degree and I'm a very hard worker that doesn't cause trouble." SungMin covered his mouth, hiding a laugh.

"KyuJong wants a favor huh? Didn't know you two were still speaking to each other," HyunJoong said, leaning back in his chair. "Tell me... DongHae, is it? What has KyuHyun told you about this company, and about me?"

DongHae blinked, straightening. "He won't tell me about the company, but going by the size of the building and how quiet the hallways are, it seems very important. And he said you weren't nice, but he hasn't been very nice either so I'm not sure if I should take that as fact or not."

"He said I'm not nice?" HyunJoong blinked for a moment before starting to laugh. "Oh, of course he thinks I'm not nice. But you can ask any other employee here, they think I'm very nice. What about you SungMin? Do you think I'm nice?"

"Very nice sir," SungMin grinned widely.

"Oh, you're SungMin sshi?" DongHae blinked before bowing again. "He also said to stay away from you."

"Now why would he say a thing like that," SungMin pouted cutely at KyuHyun.

KyuHyun kept hoping the floor beneath him would open and he could fall right through so he didn't have to be there. As it was, it was taking a whole lot of concentration not to say what he really thought about the two of them.

"Probably because you torment him, SungMin," HyunJoong said. "Well, DongHae. I'm sure we could use another hand around here. I'll make a call to our HR department and get you set up. KyuHyun can give you a tour of the place... oh no, wait, KyuHyun's busy today. SungMin, after our meeting is over, how about you give him a tour."

"What? No, HyunJoong, that's a bad idea," KyuHyun interjected, shaking his head. "I can give him a tour, not a problem. Best tour ever."

"Nonsense," HyunJoong smirked. "Take DongHae back to your cubicle and have him wait there, SungMin will be by shortly."

"Yes sir, thank you sir!" DongHae beamed happily.

"See you soon DongHae," SungMin gave a cheerful little wave, and DongHae gave the same wave back before leaving the room ahead of KyuHyun.

"Something's going on SungMin," HyunJoong said, his eyes narrowing when the door was closed. "KyuJong wouldn't ask a favor from me unless something important was happening. I don't recognize who that was, so keep an eye on him for me?"

"No sweat," SungMin chuckled, hopping off the desk and climbing onto HyunJoong's lap. "Who's KyuJong, by the way?"

"Just an old friend," HyunJoong replied, an arm going around SungMin's waist. "Not someone you need to worry about."

"If you say so," SungMin pouted, wrapping his arms loosely around HyunJoong's neck. "Now, how should I keep making up last night to you?"

"Well you're in the right position for it, just a few too many clothes," HyunJoong said with a smirk. "You should do something about that," he said, leaning over to pick up his phone. "SeoHyun, hold my calls and no visitors for the rest of the morning."

Back at KyuHyun's cubicle, KyuHyun dropped down in his seat and sulked. "I knew he was going to do that, should have said it was all my idea. Now he just wants you to work here to make me suffer."

DongHae crouched down beside him, since there was only one seat and otherwise he'd be over the cubicle walls and his voice would bounce through the whole floor. "Hey, it doesn't sound that bad! You have someone to talk hero stuff with now," he whispered, beaming. "And he and SungMin were very nice."

"I don't want to talk about super hero stuff here," KyuHyun hissed, clamping his hand over DongHae's mouth. "HyunJoong isn't nice, never has been nice. Don't for a second think otherwise... I probably shouldn't tell you but you need to know." He leaned in closer to whisper into DongHae's ear. "HyunJoong is Parasyntax."

DongHae pulled back, blinking at KyuHyun. "Para...? Oh, HIM!" He covered his mouth with both hands after that realization. After taking a moment to make sure those in the surrounding cubicles weren't staring, DongHae looked up at KyuHyun in confusion. "Why are you working for him?" he whispered.

"Because I don't believe he retired completely and is up to something," KyuHyun answered. "No one just decides one day they aren't evil anymore."

The older man frowned slightly at KyuHyun. "I don't know, he didn't seem very evil to me. He had a very nice face. Maybe a little tired."

"He wasn't tired, he was drained," KyuHyun rolled his eyes. "SungMin probably had his head in HyunJoong's lap before we came in. HyunJoong is evil, always was, and always will be."

DongHae opted for sitting down on the floor instead of crouching there. "How do you say what's evil, though? Good people can do bad stuff, and bad people can do good stuff. Do you say both are evil?"

"Look, you say you were our biggest fan? Then you have to know about the things he did," KyuHyun said. "The people he hurt, the lives he ruined... if it wasn't for him then JungMin..." he let out a deep breath and turned away. "People like him don't change."

"Oh." DongHae frowned, watching KyuHyun. "What do you mean, what happened with JungMin? Is this about the, uh...accident?"

"Maybe you should ask JungMin, see what he says," KyuHyun retorted, crossing his arms. "Just because we have to work together doesn't mean we have to talk, okay?"

"Okay," DongHae frowned. "You're really not friendly. I always thought you would be a little nicer."

"And what gave you that idea?" KyuHyun snorted. "You know, for someone who says you were our fan, you know nothing about us."

"I know I don't." DongHae frowned down at his lap before brightening and looking up at KyuHyun. "Hey, maybe you can tell me more about everyone."

"You have got to be the thickest..." KyuHyun started, glancing down at DongHae. Whatever it was he was going to say died on his lips and he sighed, slumping over in his chair. "Later, okay? This isn't the best place to be having this discussion."

"Okay," DongHae grinned, seeming satisfied with that.

It was ten minutes later before SungMin appeared, smiling widely. "Hey! Ready for your tour of the place, DongHae?"

"Yup!" DongHae bounced to his feet. "See you later KyuHyun!"

"Wait, SungMin, can I.. uh... talk to you for a sec?" KyuHyun said, getting up as well.

"Me?" SungMin pointed at himself, amused. "Certainly. We'll just be a moment DongHae." He stepped away from the cubicle.

"Okay, I'll wait here then?" DongHae blinked.

"Yeah, just... give us a sec," KyuHyun nodded, following SungMin a little ways away. "I know you seem to like making everyone miserable around here, but could you... you know, not torment him? He's kind of clueless and wouldn't understand what you're saying. So just leave him alone okay?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, I don't torment anyone," SungMin smiled innocently. "Why shouldn't I be friendly with him? He seems like someone who wouldn't mind a bit of fun."

"Your brand of friendly isn't something people find fun," KyuHyun ground out between clenched teeth. "Okay, I'll cut you a deal. If you leave DongHae alone... I promise you do whatever you want to me and I won't complain about it, or call you names or kick you anymore okay?"

SungMin seemed surprised by that, blinking at KyuHyun. After a moment he laughed and shook his head in disbelief. "Brave KyuHyun giving himself up to save the clueless new boy from evil me. It sounds like something out of a storybook, how could I refuse? Why do you want to protect him so badly?"

"... Because..." KyuHyun scowled and turned away. "None of your business why I do anything. If we have a deal then we have a deal. DongHae! Time to go."

"Hold up," SungMin spun KyuHyun back around. "I think I should have a deposit on this promise, or how do I know you'll be keeping your word?" his eyes danced with mischief.

"I don't break promises," KyuHyun said, bristling slightly. "What kind of deposit are you talking about?"

"I'm not gonna throw you down right here," SungMin rolled his eyes before pulling KyuHyun closer, pressing a kiss to his mouth.

"Wha—" KyuHyun couldn't get a word out before he was being kissed. Which in itself wasn't a horrible thing, but considering this was SungMin, this was a very, very bad thing. KyuHyun pulled away, pushing SungMin back. "What are you doing?" he hissed, looking up and down the empty corridor. "You trying to get me killed?"

"Relax, you'll give yourself an aneurysm," SungMin rolled his eyes again. "No one's here, and Hyun's buried in paperwork he was avoiding this morning. And that was a ty kiss, I want another one later to make up for it." He flounced past KyuHyun, calling for DongHae.

"... I didn't agree to that!" KyuHyun called after him, but knew it was useless. He had agreed to let SungMin do anything to him, but if HyunJoong found out, he was a dead man, super hero or not.

 

 

 

Working at the flower shop was peaceful compared to the chaos that was probably happening to the others. KiBum provided no trouble to KyuJong, diligently learning what it was he was supposed to be doing and helping customers as they came in. He spent most of the morning in the back of the shop where there was the most shade, only emerging towards the front as the day wore on and the sun slowly set.

"Not bad for a day's work, hm?" KyuJong said, locking the door and turning off the sign. "If I knew you better, I'd say you enjoyed yourself."

"It's a relaxing job," KiBum shrugged, looking up at the darkening sky. "I can see why you'd choose to work at a flower shop."

"After so many years of running and fighting, I wanted to do something that required patience and skill," KyuJong said. "And flowers smell nice, so that's an added bonus."

"It was probably a good call not to work with DongHae then," KiBum murmured, lips quirked slightly as they started to walk.

"I am worried about him though, being around KyuHyun for any length of time isn't healthy," KyuJong frowned. "Plus there's HyunJoong to consider... it may not have been the best idea but we wanted to keep an eye on you two."

"DongHae can take care of himself." KiBum glanced towards KyuJong. "HyunJoong?"

KyuJong's lips quirked slightly. "You know him as Parasyntax."

KiBum nodded in understanding at that. "Was wondering what he was up to when his name stopped appearing all over the news. Laying low?"

"In a manner of speaking," KyuJong chuckled. "More like, he retired from a life of crime to go into business. Found he could make far more money doing it that way than trying to steal it. KyuHyun doesn't think he's given it up and so keeps an eye on him."

"Understandable. Do you believe he's given it up?"

"I do," KyuJong nodded. "I'm an empath, I can feel his motivations and his feelings. He's not evil, never has been. Just... not that smart when it comes to his decisions."

"Few people are, let alone when they have powers," KiBum shrugged. "You are also a time manipulator, correct?"

"You could call it that," KyuJong said, glancing over at him. "I can't go backwards or forwards in time, I can just... bend it around me."

"Like the shield last night," the younger man nodded in understanding.

"Yes, though I'm woefully out of practice," KyuJong sighed. "Speaking of last night... when you were attacking the shooter, did you happen to get a look at him?"

KiBum folded his arms across his chest. "He was a few inches shorter than me, solidly built with black hair. Most of his appearance was hidden with black clothes and a cloth over his mouth and nose. He was also wearing pink contacts."

"Pink?" KyuJong blinked a little at that. "Odd coloring for an assassin... or whatever he's supposed to be. You think you'd recognize him if you saw him out of costume though?"

"Doubt it," KiBum shook his head. "I didn't hear his voice, and there wasn't enough of his face exposed to be memorable."

"Then I guess you'll have to keep your eye out for a man with dark hair, who's short," KyuJong mused. "I'm sure you won't have much trouble with that here in Korea."

KiBum's lips quirked. "A sense of humor. I doubt that'll be the last we see of him either way."

"If what YoungSaeng says is true, then probably not," KyuJong said. "... Oh no, I forgot to call JungMin today. I hope everything is okay at the house."

"He would have called if there was a problem?" KiBum frowned.

"If he had time, but who knows," KyuJong shook his head, picking up his pace a little. "Either way he's going to be mad since I promised I'd call him. He's such a worrier sometimes."

KiBum nodded, attention going to one side as they turned the corner. They were being followed by two shady characters, and there were two more up ahead. "Heads up," he murmured, jamming his hands in his pockets.

"Oh, where's a hero when you need one?" KyuJong chuckled lowly.

"I should ask what the Sworn's rules are for heroing out of costume," KiBum sighed as the two ahead of them stepped away from the wall to block their path. There was the flash of metal, a knife appearing.

"Hand over what you got, and there'll be no trouble."

"Let us be on our way and there won't be," KyuJong said, sensing the two others just behind them. "We don't want to hurt you."

"I think you're a little confused," one of the men behind them said, pushing at KyuJong's shoulder. "Empty your pockets, now."

"I'll pass." KiBum stepped to the side to walk around them.

The man with the knife lunged for him. Before the knife could sink into his stomach, a black band wrapped around the metal and yanked it out of his grasp. A second shadow wrapped around his face, cutting off both his vision and oxygen supply.

"What the hell?" One of the attackers took a step back away from his friend. "He's one of those god damned freaks!"

"Get him!" Another of the muggers was lunging towards KiBum from behind. KyuJong lifted both hands and concentrated. The air around them bent and warped until the man was lunging forward in a constant loop, stuck in that moment of time.

KiBum half-turned, one arm extended. A tendril of shadows followed the motion, snagging one of the remaining men around the ankle and lifting him off the ground. The man cursed and struggled, unable to get anywhere hanging upside down. The first one who'd tried to stab KiBum dropped to the ground, struggling to breathe over the shadows covering his face.

Narrowing his eyes, KyuJong slowly twisted his hand, the bubble of trapped time turning until the mugger was no longer lunging towards KiBum, but towards the last attacker who was standing rigid in shock. When KyuJong opened his hand, the air bent back into normal shape and the lunging attacker slammed right into his accomplice, the two falling over onto the ground. "I think they've learned their lesson," he said, panting a little at the strain.

Nodding, KiBum looked down at the knife he'd taken off his shadow before tucking it into one pocket. He released the hanging mugger, leaving him to drop heavily to the ground before removing the shadows off the face of the other one. As the mugger gasped and sputtered for air, KiBum turned and continued walking as if nothing had happened. "For tonight maybe."

"Maybe they'll think twice about it tomorrow night then," KyuJong said, walking beside him. "It's strange... in less than a week my life has turned completely upside down again. I never thought I'd be using my powers for anything other than keeping a pretty flower alive a few more days."

"Do you consider it a bad thing?" KiBum glanced at KyuJong as they headed back towards JungMin's house.

"...No, I don't," KyuJong said, smiling a little as he returned the look. "I had admitted to JungMin not that long ago that I missed this... I missed being a hero."

A soft chuckle escaped, KiBum looking up at the sky but not replying.

They arrived at JungMin's place ten minutes later, KiBum falling into step behind KyuJong on the narrow doorstep.

The door opened right after KyuJong knocked, JungMin standing there with his hands on his hips. "You! You didn't call."

"I know, I am really sorry Min," KyuJong said, wrapping him up in a hug before he could get started on one of his tirades. "It completely slipped my mind. Everything okay here though? Where's YoungSaeng?"

Grumbling under his breath, JungMin patted KyuJong on the back before pulling away and stepping inside for them to come in. "Aside from lunch problems, it's been fine. He's drawing, hopefully on the paper and not the table this time right Saeng?" he called over his shoulder before shutting the door after them.

"On the paper," YoungSaeng confirmed from where he was hunched over the table.

"Good, I'm glad things are... what lunch problems?" KyuJong blinked a little, stepping further into the house towards the kitchen.

"Vodka burns," YoungSaeng said, looking up at KyuJong with a smile.

"Even I could have told him that, and I cook ramen," JungMin rolled his eyes, going back towards the table. "He can see when the champagne bottle's going to smash, but he can't see when he's going to nearly start a kitchen fire." KiBum chuckled and shook his head.

"I forgot what I was making," YoungSaeng pouted. "I get mixed up on things... a lot."

"Well, as long as everyone's okay," KyuJong sighed. "I'll get started on dinner. Any word from KyuHyun and DongHae? I think I was more worried about them than anything."

"No, nothing from them," JungMin shook his head. "Is that a good thing or not?" He eyed KiBum.

"He would have texted me if he managed to blow something up," KiBum shrugged, going to sit down.

"So how was flower selling with Talkative?" JungMin asked KyuJong, jabbing a thumb at KiBum.

"Nice actually," KyuJong said, heading into the kitchen. "It was good to have someone else in the shop, someone to talk to or to help out. Guess it was nice having a partner again."

YoungSaeng tilted his head up to look at KiBum. "You should turn the lights on," he said. "It's so dark."

"The lights are on," JungMin blinked at YoungSaeng. "You're back to making no sense."

The doorbell went off three times in rapid succession. "DongHae's here," KiBum murmured, frowning at YoungSaeng and not commenting on the statement.

JungMin went to the door and unlocked it, pulling it open. "One ring would do it, you know."

"Really? That's useful information to know JungMin, thank you," KyuHyun retorted. "Can we come in now?"

JungMin raised an eyebrow. "Someone's in a pissy mood." He stepped aside to let them both in, DongHae looking in much better spirits than KyuHyun. "Dare I ask how it went?"

"No, I don't want to discuss it," KyuHyun said, going in first and prying off his shoes. "It went terrible okay? Worst day of my life and I swear KyuJong if you make me take him back with me to work I may drop him off in the sea with cement shoes."

"... I see, DongHae, how did your day go?" KyuJong asked, smiling a little in bemusement.

"It went good!" DongHae was grinning happily. "I got the job, got a tour around the office, and did my work. HyunJoong sshi even stopped by at the end of the day and said I was doing a good job!" He looked pleased as punch with that last comment.

"Okay, so what's the problem then?" JungMin snorted, looking at KyuHyun.

"Nothing," KyuHyun replied curtly, crossing his arms and flopping down onto the couch. "I don't want to talk about it."

YoungSaeng stood up, the chair falling over behind him and he strode towards where KyuHyun was sitting. "Not trust, never trust!" he stated, accenting his syllables harshly before striking KyuHyun across the face. "Kill us all! Kill me!"

"Hey!" JungMin snapped, startled as he pulled YoungSaeng off of KyuHyun. "What the hell was that?!" DongHae was frozen in shock, mouth open, before he ran into the kitchen.

"He hit me!" KyuHyun touched a hand to his cheek, staring at YoungSaeng with wide eyes. "You keep that damn freak away from me!"

"Not a sheep, never a sheep!" YoungSaeng shouted, struggling to get out of JungMin's grip. "Trust a sheep and the wolf bites!"

 

 

 


 

 

Passed 100 views! :D And six subscribers! Thank you AngelKeky for voting up this story!

Please comment, vote and subscribe if you're enjoying the story!

 

@curionenene: LOL I have no idea either .____.;; It was a while back I think xD