Light and Dark

The Sworn


chapter sixteen             
✧✦Light and Dark✦✧

 

"Wolf!"

JungMin's eyes widened in shock as he whirled around. "What?!" He grabbed KyuHyun by the arm and pulling him away from SungMin, his fingers glowing. KiBum responded just as fast, a shadowy tendril grabbing SungMin by the ankle and yanking him down to the floor.

SungMin reacted instinctively, freeing a blade from inside his boot and slicing through the shadow to get free. Then he stopped, looking uncertain what to do, whether to attack or not as he looked up at KyuHyun.

The moment of hesitation did him in as a shadow stole away his knife, a second black band wrapping tightly around his neck to cut off his air. KiBum held both hands up, eyes narrowed as SungMin struggled to breathe.

In the confusion, YoungSaeng had panicked and run out the door in the kitchen. KyuJong barely noticed as he looked out to see what was happening. "KiBum!" His eyes widened and he tried to intervene.

"Stop it! Stop!" KyuHyun pushed at JungMin to get him to let go. "Let me explain!"

"You knew about him?" JungMin stared at KyuHyun. "Why the hell would you bring him here!?" SungMin was trying to reach another blade, struggle weakening. KiBum didn't let go, the shadow manipulator's eyes dark.

Fingers closed around the hilt of a knife and SungMin threw it. It hit the wall behind KiBum with a thud, pinning the man's arm there by his sleeve. The sudden jerk broke KiBum's concentration and the shadow around SungMin's neck dissipated, the assassin coughing hoarsely on the floor.

"I brought him because he can help us!" KyuHyun said, going to SungMin's side and crouching down. "He knows more about what's going on."

"This is the person that's been killing heroes?" KyuJong asked for clarification, frowning when KyuHyun nodded. "Get away from him KyuHyun."

"No, not until you listen," KyuHyun said, looking up at KyuJong and then at JungMin. "You need to hear what I have to say."

KiBum yanked the knife out of the wall, freeing his sleeve. "He's dangerous, you just brought him right to us so he can kill everyone in one shot." DongHae was standing in the kitchen doorway, eyes wide with shock.

"Please tell the idiot his forehead is a much easier target than his sleeve," SungMin whispered, coughing.

KyuJong's eyes narrowed at that. "KyuHyun, get away from him now," he said sternly. KyuHyun looked like he wanted to protest but the way everyone was looking at him made him close his mouth and get to his feet.

"You can't hurt him," KyuHyun said, though he did back up.

"You do not get a say in what happens right now," KyuJong said, bringing up his hands and bringing them together in a sharp clap. The air surrounding SungMin shattered, a bubble closing around the assassin and freezing him in time. "Now, we are going to hear what you have to say."

"I don't get it," DongHae just stared at SungMin's frozen figure. "How is SungMin the wolf?"

"Just go get YoungSaeng, will you?" JungMin snapped, DongHae jumping and taking off through the back door. "Start talking KyuHyun."

KyuHyun took a shaky breath, running a hand through his hair. "I should start at the beginning then," he said, sitting on the arm of the couch. "You know HyunJoong's been paying me to spend time with SungMin, so we've gotten kind of close."

"How long have you known who he is then?" KyuJong asked, arms crossed.

"I didn't... The other night," KyuHyun said, looking down. "When YoungSaeng said the wolf was after RyeoWook, I found him and electrocuted him. I was a half second too late, but that's when I found out."

"So he nearly kills RyeoWook, and you think it's somehow okay to bring him here so he can do it properly?" JungMin scowled, hands on his hips. His fingers were still glowing. "Keep talking."

KyuHyun's hands clenched but he didn't say anything to that. "I didn't know what to do after that, so I took him home to wait until he woke up."

"That was stupid," KyuJong said tersely.

"Really? Gee KyuJong, what would I do without your superior intelligence?" KyuHyun snapped, regretting it immediately when KyuJong's expression hardened. "I know it was stupid, so I tied him up and made sure he couldn't do anything until I got some answers out of him. And I did. He gave me the list of people he was hired to kill." Pulling out the paper from his pocket, he held it out to JungMin.

Lips thinned, JungMin took the paper away. "How do we even know this is the real list?" He looked over the names quickly, paling at how many there were. "...Nova, Dust and HeeChul are on here. HyunJoong too." He flipped the page before glancing at KyuJong and KiBum. "So's YoungSaeng and KiBum." The shadow manipulator's eyes narrowed.

"But not you or me," KyuJong frowned at that.

"Or me, if anyone cares," KyuHyun muttered. "I know what you're thinking, and I thought the same thing at first. Why should we believe him, he's an assassin for hire... but the one thing that got me was that HyunJoong is the first name on that list. But SungMin hasn't killed him, and said he wasn't going to."

"Because we can really trust that an assassin won't just go back and kill him later," JungMin snapped, passing the list to KyuJong. "He's killed people KyuHyun, you think he wouldn't lie to get himself out of a situation?"

"I know, and believe me I've been struggling with this all night," KyuHyun said, looking over to where SungMin was still trapped in the time bubble. "But he told me something, something he didn't have to. You know how there's some of the others that have just disappeared? Like who was that one, the Black Cape or whatever? He's not on that list right?" he looked at KyuJong who was scanning down the list and shook his head.

"That could be coincidence," KyuJong said, folding up the paper but holding onto it.

"SungMin says there's worse than him killing heroes, that whoever is taking them, is worse," KyuHyun said. "He told me his contact calls himself the Voice. SungMin said he'd help us."

"What's worse than being killed," JungMin shook his head. "I don't like this, we can't trust him. We can't trust anything he says to be true."

"We can't just let him go now that he knows where we are either," KiBum said lowly, arms folded across his chest.

"I know you don't trust him, but I do," KyuHyun said. "You trust me don't you?"

"That's not the point," KyuJong said, glancing at KiBum with a guarded expression before turning his attention to SungMin in the time bubble. "He's dangerous, and you led him right to us and to YoungSaeng."

"I know, but it's not like we're going to kill him or anything," KyuHyun said. "He promised me he would help us."

JungMin sighed loudly, the glow from his fingers disappearing as he rubbed his temples. "How long can you hold that time bubble, KyuJong? We need to get YoungSaeng back here so we can have his input. If he catches even a whiff of the wolf killing him in the future..."

"A few minutes at most," KyuJong said, leaning up against the wall. "Maybe KyuHyun should take SungMin out of here before YoungSaeng gets back. Seeing him here might upset him, and who knows if he can see anything right now."

Thinking about that, JungMin nodded. "That'll have to do."

"We're just going to let him go?" KiBum's lips thinned.

"What would you suggest we do with him?" KyuJong asked, looking at KiBum. "I can't hold him like this forever."

KiBum glanced at KyuJong before looking away, remaining silent.

"None of us are happy about this," JungMin sighed. "Take him far away from here, KyuHyun."

"I will," KyuHyun nodded, getting to his feet. KyuJong's eyes narrowed as he brought up his hands again, the air around SungMin melting back together.

Rubbing his neck, SungMin looked up at them, eyes narrowing as he noted the different positions in the room. He slowly stood up, hands up to show he wasn't going to do anything as he glanced at KyuHyun in confusion.

"Let's go," KyuHyun said quietly, taking SungMin by the arm and leading him back towards the front door. "They're going to talk about it, we'll come back later."

"Okay," SungMin frowned, following KyuHyun to the door after picking up his bag. He glanced over his shoulder as the door was slammed behind them. "I think I missed something in there."

"Not that much," KyuHyun said, glancing over his shoulder at the house. "They don't trust you, obviously. They're leaving it up to YoungSaeng if they'll even listen to what either of us have to say."

"Not much we can do about that then," SungMin shrugged. "If they don't listen, they don't listen. What are we doing in the meantime?"

"I don't know," KyuHyun sighed. "Not killing people is a start... Maybe we can try to find out more for them. Who that client of yours is."

Back in the house, JungMin locked the door and turned back to the other two in the room, brow furrowed. "KiBum, go find YoungSaeng and DongHae and get them back in here." He watched the shadow manipulator leave through the kitchen.

KyuJong waited until it was just the two of them alone before he slumped down the wall to sit on the floor. "I don't know what to think JungMin."

"That makes two of us." JungMin walked over to KyuJong, crouching down beside him. "We can't trust that guy. How can we be sure any of that was true and not just a way to get to YoungSaeng?"

"That's what worries me," KyuJong sighed a little, closing his eyes. "I would hate to think that KyuHyun was so easily manipulated, but that's what people like SungMin do. The only way we can know for sure is asking YoungSaeng."

"And there's no guarantee he'll even be able to see anything, not with that damn telepath blocking him half the time," JungMin grumbled. "We need RyeoWook's telepath to deal with that, but RyeoWook's still out. In the meantime, KyuHyun could be in danger."

"He could be," KyuJong nodded, opening his eyes to look at JungMin. "But if SungMin is just using him, he'll need KyuHyun alive until he can get to YoungSaeng."

"So...either way, we can't let him come anywhere near here until we can get a straight answer from YoungSaeng," JungMin sighed. "He knows where I live now though...are we going to have to leave?"

"And go where?" KyuJong shook his head. "No matter what, we can't show that we're afraid. We'll protect YoungSaeng, and protect your home. If YoungSaeng says he's lying, then we'll deal with SungMin."

"Okay," JungMin's lips curled slightly and he rested his hand on KyuJong's shoulder.

Footsteps approached from the back door. "He's gone?" DongHae asked, arms around YoungSaeng as they walked.

"Yes, and he's not coming back," KyuJong said, attempting to get back up but his legs were too shaky and he slid back down. "Not unless YoungSaeng confirms what he said is true."

It didn't appear YoungSaeng was in any mood to talk, his hands shaking and eyes darting around the room.

"Take him to bed Min, he needs to calm down," KyuJong said with a tired smile.

Nodding, JungMin stood. "You need rest too. I don't think it needs repeating, but no one leaves or goes anywhere alone anymore." He glanced to the other two before crossing to YoungSaeng, taking the precog's hands and leading him towards the stairs. "Come on Saeng. Let's go lie down." He saw KiBum move to help KyuJong up.

It wasn't until YoungSaeng and JungMin were at the top of the stairs when YoungSaeng finally spoke. "Min... don't see it anymore, but still remember," he whispered, looking up at JungMin. "Feathers and glass, but the bird didn't die. The wolf didn't swallow him..."

JungMin looked down at YoungSaeng, bringing him into the bedroom. RyeoWook had been moved to the first of several cots set up in the basement. "What you saw in your visions...did RyeoWook die in your visions?"

"Yes," YoungSaeng nodded as he sat down on the bed. "Died in most. In the few he didn't..." his head tilted and his brow furrowed as he strained to think. "Different outcome than others. Don't remember details."

JungMin sat down beside him, arm around YoungSaeng's shoulders. "Do you remember anything about this?" he asked quietly. "The wolf coming to see us here, with KyuHyun."

"Yes, I do remember," YoungSaeng nodded. "I... I thought it meant that KyuHyun had betrayed us. I don't know anymore. I wish I could see right now... I wish I knew what the truth is."

"We'll figure it out...RyeoWook will be healed enough to take us to that telepath of his soon. We can deal with whoever's messing with your head, and know the truth."

YoungSaeng smiled a little at that, leaning against JungMin. "For the first time in my life, my head is clear," he said quietly. "My thoughts are straight and linear and I get to be surprised by things... it's wonderful and terrible at the same time."

"You get to figure things out along with the rest of us," JungMin chuckled, tilting his head to press a kiss to YoungSaeng's temple. "I also like not having to unriddle your sentences all the time."

"Oh, you think it's endearing," YoungSaeng smiled, looking up at him. "I know you have a little sense of pride when you can finally figure something out."

"Hey, I'm allowed to be proud, you know how rarely I figure things out before the others do?" JungMin snorted. He touched his fingers to YoungSaeng's chin. "Oh, and I can also surprise you now when I do this." He leaned in and kissed YoungSaeng.

At least this was a pleasant surprise, YoungSaeng smiling into the kiss as he wrapped his arm around JungMin's neck. "I'll take more of those," he murmured when he pulled away slightly.

"Anytime," JungMin whispered, running his hand slowly along YoungSaeng's back. "You feel better now?"

"Much," YoungSaeng nodded, nuzzling into JungMin's neck and pressing against his side. "You were always my anchor JungMin... even before I met you."

"I hope after all that time waiting I didn't disappoint," JungMin smiled, burying his nose in YoungSaeng's hair.

"Not in the least," YoungSaeng said, humming softly. "You smell really good all the time... makes it that much better."

"Well I'm glad I don't smell bad," the redhead chuckled as he pulled YoungSaeng to lie down on the bed. "Let's rest for a bit...it was a long day."

YoungSaeng didn't object, happily burying himself into JungMin's embrace. "The first of many," he said. "There will be some sleepless nights before this is all over." He tilted his head up to look up at JungMin. "That's not a vision, but an educated guess."

"And probably very, very true," JungMin snorted, smiling down at him. He kissed YoungSaeng again before resting his forehead against the other man's. "No worrying about visions for now. Just relax."

"I am relaxing," YoungSaeng said softly, closing his eyes. "You make me very relaxed. You need to relax too."

"That's going to take a while," JungMin admitted, but he closed his eyes as well and wrapped his arms more securely around the other man. Seeing the wolf in his home had him shaken up.

 

 

 

 

 

The sun had already set by the time KyuJong, DongHae, and KiBum left JungMin's place. The three were quiet as they walked. There really wasn't much to be said, KyuJong lost in his own thoughts about what had taken place and what it meant for them.

They were almost at KyuJong's, KiBum and DongHae going to drop the other man off, when suddenly DongHae's phone went off and made them all jump. Blinking repeatedly, DongHae pulled the phone out of his pocket and flipped it open, the loud song cutting off as he held it to his ear. "Hello?"

"Where are you? I want to go out."

"...Eh? HyunJoong?" DongHae blinked. "Uh...Not downtown...close to JungMin's."

"I'll come pick you up. Ten minutes." The line went dead.

"Hey!" DongHae blinked repeatedly at his phone before closing it, looking at the other two sheepishly. "I think I'm being picked up. He didn't say where he wanted to go, just that he wanted to go out."

"I don't like that you spend time with him," KyuJong said, frowning a little.

"He's not that bad of a guy," DongHae said, glancing between KyuJong and KiBum. "And we're supposed to work with him now, right? There's nothing wrong with being friendly."

"There is when it comes to HyunJoong," KyuJong said. "Just be careful."

"I will," DongHae nodded, looking at KiBum imploringly.

KiBum looked at the older man for a long moment before sighing. "Don't get drunk again."

DongHae grinned widely. "No way. See you both tomorrow!" He headed back towards JungMin's.

KyuJong watched him go before looking back at KiBum. "Guess it's just you and me then. You feel like having a drink?"

KiBum glanced at KyuJong before shrugging, lips quirked slightly. "Sure. Where?"

"I've got a couple of beers inside," KyuJong said, nodding towards his apartment. "Beats spending money at a bar somewhere."

"Quieter too," KiBum agreed, following KyuJong to the apartment building.

Once inside, KyuJong rummaged through the fridge and procurred two bottles of beer, handing one to KiBum. "I'd offer you something stronger if I had any, but I don't drink much."

"That's fine, neither do I." KiBum took the offered bottle with a thanks. "You don't strike me as the kind of person who likes getting completely drunk."

"No, not really," KyuJong said, sitting down at his small table. "Truthfully.. I only have this beer because... I wanted to have something to offer you if you came by again."

KiBum chuckled, sitting down as well. "I'd be happy to stick around even without the alcohol."

"Good to know," KyuJong smiled, taking a sip. He was quiet for a while, not sure what to say before he took a deep breath. "I... need to ask you about what happened earlier. You were ready to kill SungMin weren't you."

Frowning slightly, KiBum placed his bottle down. "...I was. And I still don't agree with letting him go alive."

"It's not for us to decide who lives or dies," KyuJong said. "No matter who or what they've done, we aren't executioners."

"He's killed others like us," KiBum replied. "And can very well do it again, starting with YoungSaeng now that he knows where we are."

"And for that we will bring him to justice," KyuJong said calmly. "That goes for anyone that we face. We don't kill people unless our lives or those we're trying to help are in danger."

KiBum's brow furrowed, expression unreadable as he looked down at his bottle. "...Understood."

"I would expect JungMin to lose his temper, but you?" KyuJong shook his head. "What's going on?"

The younger man took a sip of his drink, not looking up at KyuJong. "I'm having...difficulties with my ability. It'll be resolved soon."

"What do you mean difficulties?" KyuJong frowned, leaning a little over the table. "I need to know that I can count on you, please tell me."

"You can count on me...for now." KiBum shook his head. "The more my ability develops, the more my judgment in certain areas becomes...compromised. I don't know how far it will continue. I've been using DongHae as a moral sounding board for the past week, because I can't trust what my own mind is telling me anymore."

"I'm not sure I understand," KyuJong tilted his head slightly. "Your ability is affecting your decisions?" His eyes lowered as he thought about that. "YoungSaeng kept telling you turn on the lights... he wasn't talking about the lights in the room was he?"

"No, he wasn't," KiBum sighed. "I've tried to puzzle out what he wants me to do, but other than avoiding using my ability completely, I'm drawing a blank. And that would do nothing for whatever's already been done. I didn't know this was happening KyuJong, not until DongHae pointed it out to me."

"Figuring out what YoungSaeng means isn't an easy thing," KyuJong nodded, his eyes saddening. "I want to help you though. I'm worried about you."

"I appreciate your concern," KiBum smiled at KyuJong softly. "I really do. But I'm not sure what can be done. You can tell me over and over that we don't kill anyone except in the most dire circumstances...at some point I knew this. But right now? Everything's telling me that letting SungMin go was a mistake, and he should have died. Next time, I might actually kill someone." He looked away. "The scariest part is that if I did, it wouldn't bother me at all."

KyuJong slid his hand over the table, touching KiBum's fingers lightly. "Now that I know what's going on, I understand. I'm not going to just give up on you KiBum. I will help you."

Glancing at KyuJong's hand, KiBum turned his hand around to curl his fingers around the older man's. "...Thank you." He smiled at KyuJong. "This is what I meant about still being a hero, even when retired."

Chuckling a little at that, KyuJong squeezed KiBum's hand a little. "I'll gladly be your hero any time."

KiBum grinned, looking down at their hands. "Well, I know I'll be needing one."

He was just about to take another drink when the lights suddenly went out. "...Power outage," KiBum glanced at the stove's digital clock, which was also off.

"I think I have some candles and a flashlight somewhere," KyuJong sighed, slowly getting to his feet. "... You'd probably be able to find them better then me though."

"Probably," KiBum chuckled, standing as well. He didn't let go of KyuJong's hand, walking around the table to join him. "Do you want to just tell me where they are and stay here?"

"Unless you want to guide me around tables and things, I should stay here," KyuJong nodded, trying to get his eyes to adjust to the darkness. "The flashlight is in the closet off the kitchen here, and there are candles in the bottom drawer of my dresser."

"Okay," KiBum let go of KyuJong's hand and headed into the kitchen. He returned with the flashlight first, taking KyuJong's hand and curling the other man's fingers around the flashlight. "I'll be back with the candles." He walked to the other side of the room where KyuJong's dresser was, looking in the bottom drawer.

Turning on the flashlight, KyuJong moved to the window to look out. "Whole street's out. Could be hours before they get the power restored. You're probably loving this then."

"I always love it when there's less bright lights to give me migraines," KiBum laughed, finding the candles and a box of matchsticks. He brought them back to the table, striking a match and lighting the wicks on the candles. "Better?"

"Much better," KyuJong smiled, turning off the flashlight. "Next time you come by, I'll keep the candles handy. Saves a bit on electricity so that's a plus." Sitting down on the corner of the bed, he set the flashlight down next to him. "I'm glad you were here, I probably would have tripped over my own feet and hurt myself."

"Let's avoid that," KiBum shook his head, sitting down beside KyuJong rather than back at the table. "I'll keep you from hurting yourself."

"And I'll keep you from hurting others," KyuJong said, glancing over at him. "Does that sound fair?"

KiBum smiled sadly, nodding. "Sounds fair. Though your job is more intensive than mine. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

"...Maybe," KyuJong mused, looking over KiBum's features in the dim light before he leaned over to brush his lips over KiBum's cheek in a light kiss.

Blinking at the light kiss, KiBum's smile widened. When KyuJong leaned back, the younger man followed him to return the kiss, this time on KyuJong's lips.

Trying not to grin, KyuJong's eyes slipped closed as he returned the kiss, bringing up a hand to rest on KiBum's shoulder. After a moment, he broke away to look up into KiBum's eyes. "I think... a little of that will more than make up for it," he whispered.

"It feels a little like cheating," KiBum murmured, meeting KyuJong's eyes. "Kissing you is something I'd happily do either way." His arm had slipped around KyuJong's waist.

"Is that so?" KyuJong chuckled, sliding his arm around KiBum's neck and shifting closer. "I guess I really didn't need to make up any situations to get us alone together... I could have just asked?"

"If you didn't, I might have," KiBum brushed the flashlight away from between them so there was nothing in their way. "You have no idea how glad I was when DongHae's theories about you dating JungMin turned out false," he grinned.

KyuJong laughed at that, tilting his head to the side. "I think that's the first time I've ever seen you really smile... you look so handsome like that."

"I've smiled before," KiBum chuckled, smiling wider at the remark. He closed the gap between them to kiss KyuJong again, eyes closing.

Not needing to reply, KyuJong returned the kiss firmly as he slid over into KiBum's lap, straddling his legs as he deepened the kiss further. His free hand came up to the back of KiBum's head, twining his fingers into the strands.

KiBum made a low noise into the kiss, lips parting. His hand slid up to press against KyuJong's back, the movement lifting the older man's shirt slightly.

After another long searing kiss, KyuJong pulled back again to look down into KiBum's eyes. "Do you want to stay the night?" he asked in a near whisper.

KiBum's eyes had darkened slightly, for an entirely different reason than his shadow abilities. "If you'll let me," he murmured lowly.

"I insist," KyuJong's lips curled upwards as he pushed KiBum back onto the bed. Before returning to the kiss and much more, he leaned over to the table, blowing out the candle.

 

 


 

 

KiBum's ability's downfall has finally been explained~

Please subscribe, comment and/or upvote if you enjoyed the story!

 

@Forest_pixi: LOL There are several moments of 'boy cried wolf' in this story xD And SungMin is puss n boots and the big bad wolf all rolled into one. Puss in Boots...probably fits more, cause no matter how cuddly he is, he's one kitty you don't want to piss off xD And I'm not telling on which verse will be posted next =P Gonna wait till this one is closer to done being posted though.

@katiemae01: Saengie was so scared he ran off xD;;; Can't really blame him though. BTW thanks for commenting <3

@forever5501: One of our most loyal readers, you are xD /yoda talk for some reason