Never Give Up

The Sworn

 

chapter twenty-one         
✧✦Never Give Up✦✧

 

Pulling out his sketchpad to draw while he waited, DongHae stopped at an echoing noise from the master bathroom. It sounded like HyunJoong had fallen.

Frowning, he stood and padded over to the bathroom door. "Are you okay?" He called, knocking on the door. There was no audible reply over the falling water, even when he knocked again. Figuring he couldn't get in trouble for a quick look to be sure, DongHae opened the door enough to look in.

His throat closed in shock. Running into the bathroom, he grabbed the assailant by the man's collar and punched him hard in the face, pushing him against the wall.

The moment the cord went slack, HyunJoong took in a large gulp of air, turning over onto his stomach and heaving as he tried to catch his breath. Still dizzy and disoriented, he looked up to see the hooded figure recovering from the hit to attack DongHae with a series of punches. Letting out a hoarse growl of frustration, HyunJoong launched himself at the assailant, knocking them back to the ground.

As much as the would-be assassin struggled, HyunJoong still had at least fifty pounds on him, able to keep the attacks off as he took the man's head and pounded it over and over into the marble flooring. He only let up when he heard the sickening crunch of bone and the assassin went limp, blood splattering all over. HyunJoong sat back, panting as he looked down at his bloody hands.

DongHae had fallen onto his rear, staring in open-mouthed shock at the gruesome sight. Blood was spreading alarmingly fast across the floor, helped by the water sprayed everywhere from the shower.

It took a moment before he could tear his gaze away, looking up at HyunJoong. It didn't even fully register that HyunJoong was , his eyes landing on the red stains on the man's hands. "Are...are you okay?" He asked, slowly standing. He reached out to help HyunJoong to his feet, still in shock.

Nodding mutely, HyunJoong got up, rinsing off his hands in the shower water before turning it off. Taking a towel off the pile, he wrapped it around his waist. "I'll call house keeping to clean this up," he said, stepping over the body to leave the bathroom. "I'm sorry DongHae, but I don't feel like going out tonight after all."

DongHae didn't contest that, thinking much the same. He wanted to ask where the assassin had come from, but couldn't voice the question. He followed HyunJoong out of the bathroom, looking back and gagging a little before he closed the bathroom door. "Are you sure you're okay?"

HyunJoong didn't respond right away, grabbing his robe off the back of the bathroom door and pulling it on. "Not the first person I've killed," he said, glancing at DongHae. "But I don't feel that safe in my own home anymore, I don't like that."

"Maybe...we shouldn't stay here," DongHae said. "Maybe we should go to my place instead, they won't look for you there. If there's more than just one." He hoped not.

HyunJoong thought about that as he went to the minibar out in the other room, pouring himself a drink. "Just for tonight. I don't know if your roommate would appreciate me being there. I was thinking of moving anyway. I hate the color of these walls."

"KiBum won't say anything, and he's been busy lately," DongHae said, following HyunJoong like a lost puppy. The fading pain in his jaw as the bruises from the punches slowly healed reminded him of HyunJoong's neck. "He was choking you, let me see your neck," he stepped beside HyunJoong, trying to see under his chin.

"I'm fine, still alive aren't I?" HyunJoong said, taking a sip of his drink. He made a face when he swallowed, his throat too sore to swallow. "Get your things, we'll leave soon."

Looking at HyunJoong's neck worriedly, DongHae turned and headed into the bedroom. It didn't take long to pack up the small suitcase of clothes he'd brought, most of it still in the suitcase anyways. He brought it to the couch where his bag was, putting his sketchpad away. "Where's your first aid kit?"

HyunJoong was hanging up the phone having talked to his personal housekeeping crew. It wouldn't be the first time they had got rid of a body for him, though he had to pay them extra to do it. "Leave it DongHae, I'm fine," he said, waving him off as he went to get dressed. "We'll have a car waiting for us downstairs, but I'm driving," he called, going through his closet. "Don't want anyone knowing where we're going."

"Okay," DongHae followed him to the bedroom door. "I mean it, where's your first aid kit? Or at least the facecloths?"

"I don't have a first aid kit, and the only towels are in the bathroom," HyunJoong said, reappearing when he had a pair of slacks on and an untucked tshirt. "Why?"

"Because your neck looks horrible." DongHae looked at the closed bathroom door before squaring his shoulders and pushing the door open. The first thing he noticed was that the blood pool had spread. He grabbed the first small towel he saw before closing the door again, skin a little grayer.

"A wash cloth isn't going to make my neck look any less bruised," HyunJoong said, packing up things into his briefcase. He didn't bother packing any clothes, he'd just buy more.

"No, but it can get rid of some of the pain." DongHae went into the kitchen and soaked the cloth in cold water, wringing it out. He then went hunting in the freezer for ice cubes, grabbing what he found and wrapping them up in the damp cloth.

"I'm not going to be able to hold that and drive," HyunJoong said, grabbing his coat and looking for his favorite pair of shoes. Suits he could replace, but shoes were something else. "I'm a horrible driver as it is."

"I can hold it. Or I can drive and you'll hold it." Finding an elastic in his backpack, DongHae wrapped it around the cloth bundle before pulling his backpack over his shoulders.

"You're not driving my car," HyunJoong said, heading for the door. "I said leave it, I'm fine."

"You're not fine!" DongHae's grip was white-knuckled on the cloth. "You were nearly killed."

"Don't you think I know that!" HyunJoong snapped, whirling on him. "Do you think I like the fact that there are people out there that want me dead? I don't, and I don't want to be reminded of the fact that it happened, so when I tell you to leave it, leave it!"

DongHae stared at HyunJoong, jaw clenched. He looked down at the cloth in his hand, grip loosening until it fell to the floor with a dull thump.

"I'll wait outside," he said quietly, grabbing his suitcase and walking out the front door.

Taking a steadying breath, HyunJoong gave himself a ten second count before leaving. He didn't even acknowledge DongHae until they were at the car. Pulling his keys out of his pocket, he handed them to DongHae, the washcloth clutched in his other hand. "You drive. You know the way... and I'm a bad driver," he said, immediately opening the passenger door and getting in.

Looking down at the keys in his hand, DongHae watched HyunJoong get in the car before moving to put his stuff in the trunk. He walked around to the driver's seat and got in, taking a moment to familiarize himself with the car and start the engine. Checking for other cars and pulling out of the parking spot, DongHae headed them towards his apartment, the inside of the car silent.

HyunJoong was quiet for a long time, holding the washcloth against his neck. There were a lot of things he should probably not say, and only a few he should. HyunJoong had never been one to apologize for complacency sake, but he did regret what he had done. After a while, he pulled the washcloth away and sighed. "I'm sorry I snapped at you," he said, watching the road.

DongHae focused on where he was driving, taking a moment to reply. "It's fine," he mumbled. "I shouldn't have insisted." His grip on the steering wheel was still white-knuckled.

"No, probably not, but that's who you are," HyunJoong said. "You're a do-gooder mother hen. Shouldn't expect anything less."

"I couldn't...I was supposed to protect you," DongHae said quietly. "But you got hurt...that's my fault, I should have stopped that, should have checked the place first..."

HyunJoong breathed a small sigh, leaning back against the seat. "I wouldn't have let you. That would have happened at some point, no matter what you did. It's not your fault someone is trying to kill me."

"It's not yours either," DongHae shook his head. "I don't want you to die." He separated one hand from the steering wheel to wipe at his eyes with his sleeve.

"Stop the car," HyunJoong said, pointing at the curb up ahead.

Slowing down, DongHae pulled up to the curb. He put the car into park, slumping back against the seat and looking down at his hands.

"DongHae, look at me," HyunJoong said, turning in his seat to face the man properly. Only when DongHae looked up did he reach over to take his hand. "Listen to me. I'm alive right now because of you. If you hadn't been there, I would have died. This whole bodyguard thing... I've treated it like a joke, and I'm sorry."

Glancing at their hands, DongHae met HyunJoong's eyes. "Not even the most evil man in the world deserves to die," he said quietly. "I will protect you...even if you don't think I can save anyone, I'm not going to leave you to die."

"I didn't say you couldn't save anyone," HyunJoong said, leaning a little closer. "Just that you couldn't save everyone. But you're more than welcome to save me, as many times as I need it."

"I can save you and them...as many people as I can." DongHae's gaze dropped slightly when HyunJoong leaned in. Fingers curling tighter around the other man's, he leaned in and kissed HyunJoong hard.

Not expecting that in the least, HyunJoong pulled back and looked at DongHae with wide eyes. "What..." he started to say, eyes narrowing slightly before he just shook his head and leaned back in. "Oh it," he mumbled, kissing DongHae back just as hard.

Arms wrapping around HyunJoong, DongHae's eyes shut tightly, returning the rough kiss.  It didn't last as long as it could have, because the gearshift was jammed into his stomach so he didn't have a full oxygen supply to begin with. Breaking the kiss, DongHae rested his forehead against HyunJoong's shoulder, body tense.

Taking slow deep breaths, HyunJoong let them stay there for a moment before he pulled back enough to look down at DongHae. "We should... How close are we to home?" he asked, running a hand through DongHae's hair.

DongHae looked up at him, inhaling and exhaling slowly. "Close," he mumbled, closing his eyes for a moment more before straightening. "I'll just...get us there." He took them out of park, looking up and down the street.

"If you need me to drive, I can," HyunJoong said, watching him. "You seem more shaken up than I am right now, and I'm the one that nearly got decapitated," he said, his lips quirking.

"I don't want you to die," DongHae repeated, pulling back out onto the street. "And I don't fair well with bad drivers behind the wheel, it's easier if I drive."

"Fair enough," HyunJoong said, easing back into the seat. "I feel better if someone else is driving as well. I'm a terrible driver." He looked out the window, not sure what else to say. There was a giant elephant in the car now, even worse than before, and it would probably follow them all the way into DongHae's apartment.

It took another five minutes to reach DongHae and KiBum's small apartment in the university ghetto, DongHae parking the car in the small parking lot. "Well...it's not exactly a luxury apartment, but it's safe." He turned off the engine and got out, going to give the keys back to HyunJoong and get his stuff out of the trunk.

"I'll take safety over anything else right now," HyunJoong said, glancing around warily as they started for the building doors. "This isn't a dorm is it? Are you sneaking me in?"

"No, the dorms are that way," DongHae motioned in a general direction to their right. "It's the apartment block rented out cheap to students, I graduated last year but I still live with KiBum while he finishes." He pulled out a set of keys and unlocked the inner set of double doors, carrying his bags inside to the elevator.

"Super heroes who go to school, now I think I've seen just about everything," HyunJoong said, following him onto the elevator. "...What is that smell?"

"Hm?" DongHae blinked and sniffed. "Someone's trying to cook I think. It isn't working out." He was used to how university apartments usually smelled, and thought it was relatively mild considering how bad it could get on a baking hot day. "Why wouldn't we go to school? Being superhero isn't the best paying job." When the elevator stopped on his floor, he got out and headed down the narrow hallway.

"It's not something I really considered," HyunJoong shrugged. "I figured you people lived off the adulation from others or something. I never said it was logical reasoning."

"I'm sure most of us would if we could," DongHae shook his head, unlocking his apartment door and reaching in to turn off a small toy motion sensor just inside the door before it could wake up the whole floor. "Well...this is it," he the lights and stepped inside, getting out of the way of the narrow entrance so HyunJoong could get in as well.

HyunJoong looked inside warily, eyeing the floor and walls as he slid inside. "I feel like a sardine," he said, edging out away from the door as he pulled off his shoes. "You live here with someone else? How?"

"It's not that bad." DongHae looked back at HyunJoong, bringing his bags into the shared bedroom. "Huh, KiBum's not here." The other man's bed was still done neatly, DongHae's less so. Their different personalities showed clearly in how they maintained their respective halves of the room, KiBum's organized and impersonal while DongHae's desk was covered in art supplies and doodles, two picture frames in the corner.

"He probably at JungMin's then?" HyunJoong said, standing in the doorway.

"Probably, or with KyuJong," DongHae looked back at him, placing his bags down out of the way. He cracked open the bedroom window to let some fresh air in, noise from the street below filtering up. "I'll call him and ask if he's coming back, so you can take his bed." He fished his phone out of his pocket. "I guess put your stuff down anywhere?"

"I left my briefcase in the hall," HyunJoong said, looking between the two beds. "I don't know if I feel comfortable in someone else’s bed." Though the roommate's bed looked far more inviting... and sanitary.

"KiBum won't mind, I mean you could take mine and I'll use KiBum's, but his mattress is more comfortable. Mine needs to be fixed." DongHae dropped down to sit on his bed, phone against his ear. The conversation was short, DongHae confirming that KiBum wasn't going to be coming home that night. He quietly relayed what had happened, confirming they were both okay, before hanging up with a sigh. "Well he's staying at KyuJong's."

HyunJoong's brow perked at that but he said nothing, leaning up against the doorframe. "So... am I going to get the tour, or is this all there is?"

"Well there's the bedroom, living room and attached kitchenette, and bathroom," DongHae shrugged. "It's not much of a tour. But I think I'll open up a couple windows, it's a little stuffy in here." He hopped back to his feet, slipping out the doorway past HyunJoong into the living room.

"I think this entire apartment could fit in my bathroom," HyunJoong said, following him to the living room. Not that it was much of one, with a couple of floor pillows and a small tv set. "No, really, how do you live here?"

DongHae looked uncomfortable, maneuvering past HyunJoong who was taking up most of the hallway to open up the window. "Space is expensive you know, Seoul's a crowded city. All the other student apartments around here are like this."

"I understand that but... still," HyunJoong said, taking off his coat. "How is it you don't end up tripping over each other?"

"Practice," DongHae chuckled, shaking his head. "Uh...is there anything I can get you? I think we have water, or soju, or something."

"Soju," HyunJoong said immediately, folding his coat up and placing it on the ground before sitting on one of the pillows. "Bring two glasses."

"I'm not sure if I should be drinking," DongHae said, though he obliged and brought two bottles and two glasses from the small kitchenette to one side of the living room. He placed them down on the table, sitting down across from HyunJoong.

"Why shouldn't you be drinking?" HyunJoong asked, reaching for the bottle to open. "It's been a rough night, we need it."

"I guess." DongHae looked at his bottle before returning his gaze to the other man. "How's your neck?"

"It's fine," HyunJoong said, lifting a hand unconsciously to touch it. "I'm going to get all kinds of looks tomorrow about it."

"Are you sure you should go to work tomorrow?" DongHae picked up his bottle and opened it, pouring some into his glass.

"What would you suggest I do instead? Hide away here in this matchbox?" HyunJoong said, pouring himself a glass and quickly downing it. "I'll go stir crazy."

"Just thought you'd want a day to, you know, recover," DongHae answered, frowning lightly.

HyunJoong sighed a little, pouring himself another glass as he considered that. "...Maybe you're right," he said finally. "I could use a vacation. Though this isn't exactly a four star resort in some tropical country. At least the company's good."

DongHae's lips quirked slightly. "I'm sorry this isn't that great. If it weren't for everything going on, I'd say I could bring you back home to Mokpo, but you'd probably find it boring there too." He took a swallow of soju.

"Probably," HyunJoong nodded, watching him. "This is fine though," he said, leaning slightly forward over the table. "DongHae, why did you kiss me?"

The younger man blinked at him, lowering his glass. "Because I like you?" he answered, tone suggesting HyunJoong should have known that already.

"I would ask why, but I know the answer," HyunJoong said, shaking his head. "What I mean is, why right then? In the car? Seems an odd moment to kiss someone."

"I guess," DongHae looked down, rubbing the back of his head. "I mean I had something more romantic in mind, I wanted to at least get flowers except I didn't know when I'd have the time to go buy some, but then you were nearly killed and I was scared." His voice quietened.

"... Flowers?" HyunJoong frowned at that but scooted around the table to sit next to him. "Figured as much," he said, taking DongHae's hand in his own. "I know this seems odd, but I did find it a little bit.... romantic. In a completely stressed and anxious way."

"How is that romantic?" DongHae looked down at their hands, looking back up at HyunJoong beside him.

"Because... you were worried about me, so worried about me that you didn't hesitate to do what you wanted to do," HyunJoong said, looking into his eyes.

DongHae's lips curled a little. "It probably wasn't the best time for a kiss, but...you're not freaking out, so I guess that's a good thing."

"Why would I freak out?" HyunJoong tilted his head slightly. "I like you too DongHae... even if I shouldn't have kissed you before at the club, I liked it. I liked the kiss in the car as well."

"Ah, well...I couldn't tell if you meant it or not in the club, strobe lights make people do crazy things," DongHae chuckled, smile widening.

"Right, all those bodies pressed against you, flickering lights, loud music... it's overwhelming," HyunJoong said, leaning a little closer. "At the time, I didn't mean it... not how I should have. Now... now I mean it," he whispered, leaning in to brush his lips over DongHae's lightly.

Eyes closing, DongHae returned the kiss slowly. His arms wound around HyunJoong's shoulders, one hand running through the other man's hair gently.

Tilting his head slightly as the kiss deepened, HyunJoong pulled DongHae closer with an arm around his waist. "I really do like you DongHae," he whispered against the man's lips, continuing the light kisses before pulling away to look into his eyes. "I'm not just trying to get in your pants or anything... okay maybe a little, but I mean it."

DongHae's eyes half-opened, meeting HyunJoong's. "I mean it too," he murmured. "Not that I would mind it, though, you in my pants...but I'd like to get to know you first. Or at least get through the first 24 hours before anyone’s pants come off."

"Twenty four hours huh," HyunJoong chuckled, glancing at the clock. "I think I can get through that. We can still kiss though right?"

"Unless your kisses require pants to be off," DongHae grinned, leaning in to kiss him again.

"There's a thought..." HyunJoong chuckled, returning the kiss and holding DongHae tightly. Some time later, hair mussed and clothes slightly askew, HyunJoong had to pull away, panting a little. "Question about the bed situation... have your sheets been washed in the past month?"

DongHae looked at him, slightly scandalized. "Of course they've been!"

"Good, then I'm sleeping with you," HyunJoong said, pulling him in for another kiss.

Making a low noise into the kiss, DongHae scooted closer. He pulled back after a moment, panting. "My bed isn't that big, are you sure?"

"You really want me sleeping in your roommate's bed?" HyunJoong asked, pressing kisses to DongHae's jaw and neck.

DongHae's eyelids fluttered at the attention. "I just...don't want you to accidentally roll off," he murmured.

"If I roll off, you'll be going with me," HyunJoong said, sliding his hand up and down DongHae's back. "I'm not really giving you a choice here... I'm not sleeping anywhere but your bed tonight."

"Okay, don't say I didn't warn you," DongHae chuckled, turning his head to kiss HyunJoong again.

"I'll take my chances," HyunJoong murmured around DongHae's lips. "Are you feeling better now?"

"Yeah," the younger man whispered. "Are you?" He ran his fingers slowly through HyunJoong's hair, playing with the strands.

"Kissing is a great stress reliever," HyunJoong chuckled. "You're a very good distraction."

"Glad to be helpful," DongHae grinned, pulling back a little to look at him. "Are you tired?"

"Not yet, need a couple more drinks," HyunJoong said, leaning back on his hands. "We can sit and talk for a while, if you don't mind?"

"Why would I mind?" DongHae leaned across the table to pull HyunJoong's soju over to the side the man was currently on. "I like to talk."

"Really? I hadn't noticed," HyunJoong teased, pouring himself another glass. "Irony of all ironies, I'm not much for conversation."

"Which is funny considering YoungSaeng kept on calling you the 'talker', I mean I know it's referring to your power, but still," DongHae laughed, settling back against his hands.

"Guess the precog has a sense of humor," HyunJoong chuckled, sipping at the drink. "Tell me something about yourself, something no one else knows."

"What?" DongHae blinked, watching him. "Why? I'm not that interesting."

"I like knowing people's secrets," HyunJoong shrugged. "Being the only person to know something about someone is... intimate. It gives us a connection no one else has."

Frowning lightly, DongHae leaned forward to pick up his soju glass, taking a swallow. KiBum knew practically everything about him, DongHae taking a moment to think about the question. Being such a chatterbox meant there wasn't much left about him no one knew, except what he held very close to him.

"Well... I originally didn't want to be an artist. It was my dad's dream, and though he ended up taking up the family fishing instead, he showed me how to paint and stuff. He was disappointed when I said I was just going to keep in the family business, cause he'd been saving up all the money he could spare to send me to university."

"You're going to school now for art right? What made you change your mind?" HyunJoong asked, watching him.

DongHae looked down at the glass in his hands, swirling the alcohol around. "When I was nineteen, he took me to see an art exhibition that was in town. It was...fun, but we argued about it in the car on the way back. He told me I should do what I want to do and not worry about taking care of the family business, or worry about the money, because he didn't want me to waste my life wondering like he did." DongHae's lower lip quivered slightly and he put his glass down on the table. "Then the car was hit head-on by a speeding truck."

HyunJoong took DongHae's hand in his own, holding it lightly. "I'm sorry. It sounds like he means a great deal to you."

DongHae closed his eyes. "I couldn't understand why he died and I didn't...time and time again after that, I just couldn't die. So I thought, maybe I'm alive for a reason...maybe I can't die because there's something I have to do first. So while I'm here, I'm going to make him proud I'm his son." he wiped at his eyes with his free hand.

"I may not have known him, but I think you are making him proud," HyunJoong said softly. "You're living your life exactly how you wanted to, that's admirable."

The younger man's lips quivered slightly. "I'd given up before I even started...but there's no giving up on anything anymore. Not in art, not in being a superhero." He opened his eyes, looking at HyunJoong. "Until I die for real, I'm not giving up ever again."

"Good," HyunJoong smiled softly at him. "I know you don't give up easily, you kept trying to be KyuHyun's friend even when you should have stopped. You haven't given up on me either, and I'm... grateful for that."

DongHae smiled slightly in return, looking down at their hands. He was going to, for a moment back in HyunJoong's apartment, but the moment had passed. He wasn't going to forget ever again. "Well...there's my secret. You can't tell anyone about it."

"Wouldn't dream of it," HyunJoong said, leaning forward to kiss him softly again. "Thank you for sharing."

Returning the kiss, DongHae wrapped his arms around HyunJoong's neck loosely even as he pulled back a little. "Are you going to share something too? Only fair."

"Thought you were going to go there," HyunJoong chuckled at that, nodding. "Okay, I think I can share something," he said, sitting back and sighing. "This isn't so much a secret, but you'll be one of a very select few who know... I was almost a member of the Sworn."

 

 

 


 

Please comment, upvote and/or subscribe if you enjoyed!

 

So November is fast approaching...you all know what that means~~

Further elaboration will be in the next update to Spirit Wars, if/when I get it up. Yes it was supposed to go up on Monday, but because I spoil you guys and write 3-4k updates, sometimes I don't get the time to write enough for weekly updates. Which is better, in your opinion? Shorter updates more often (ie actually making the weekly updates I said I'd do) or waiting longer for longer updates?

 

@forest_pixi: It's raining over here today~~ Thought of you XD And Hae and Joongie 'got to it' as you put it =P I think, kinda.

@katiemae01: Sorry for the long wait~!! School's horrible, and trying to get so much done before November I forgot to update >o<;;;