Police Tape

The Sworn

The demolished building was roped off with caution tape by the time he got there, the area deserted. JungMin slowed, breathing unevenly as he approached.

YoungSaeng was standing just inside the tape, bundled up in a coat despite it not being cold out. He was kicking over bits of burned wood and demolished pots with his shoes. "Seeing it makes it real," he said, loud enough for JungMin to hear.

"It wasn't real before?" JungMin walked closer, stepping over a low point in the tape. "Why didn't you tell someone you were coming out here? We were worried about you."

"If I told someone, they would have stopped me, or told you, and you would have stopped me," YoungSaeng said, turning to look at him. His expression was drawn, cheeks pale and eyes tired. "No, it wasn't real before. That's part of the problem."

"I don't understand," JungMin frowned, stopping beside YoungSaeng and facing him. "What's wrong, YoungSaeng?" He touched the older man's cheek lightly.

"Having control... it distances me from the visions," YoungSaeng said, closing his eyes. "I see them only when I want to, not when I need to. Before... when HyungJoon did what he did... I felt it all. I felt the realness of them. They were tangible and real and I was frightened for everything that I saw. If I had felt that, seen what was going to happen and felt that again, then KyuJong and KiBum wouldn't have got hurt. What happens the next time I miss something that's important?"

"Saeng, it was killing you for the visions to be that tangible." JungMin rested his hands on YoungSaeng's shoulders. "You had nothing to do with them getting hurt…you saved them. But you can't watch everyone's futures all the time."

"But what if next time it's you trapped in a burning building?" YoungSaeng whispered. "What if I can't save you in time?"

"Then we'll deal with it when it happens." JungMin pressed his lips lightly to YoungSaeng's forehead. "Don't do this to yourself, Saeng. You wanted to live again; you can't do that if you're always focusing on the 'what ifs'."

"It's hard not to," YoungSaeng said, leaning into him. "Knowing you have the power to stop something before it starts, but don't... I don't want this anymore Min. I don't want this power."

"I don't know of any way to get rid of a power," JungMin sighed softly, wrapping his arms securely around YoungSaeng. "I don't want my power either…who wants to be able to blow things up? To be only able to cause hurt? But we do have these powers…maybe it's for a good reason."

"I thought I had mine for a good reason. To help you and KyuJong and everyone else," YoungSaeng said. "But I was so twisted and turned around by the darkness that I don't know how much of what I saw was the truth." He looked up into JungMin's eyes, lifting a hand to touch his jaw. "I love you JungMin. I'm scared to look into the future, because I don't want one without you in it."

"Then don't look into our futures." JungMin covered the hand against his jaw. "Look at others' if you want, but leave ours alone. We'll enjoy the present, and leave worrying about the future for whenever it happens."

"It doesn't scare you, not knowing?" YoungSaeng asked.

"Of course it does, a little." The redhead's lips quirked. "But I'd rather not know what's going to happen tomorrow, or the day after. Not if it's gonna mess with right now."

"Okay..." YoungSaeng smiled a little up at him. "From now on, what happens with us.. is a mystery. As best as I can anyway, sometimes I can't help it." He leaned up to press a kiss to JungMin's nose. "You're not so shattered anymore."

JungMin chuckled softly, wrinkling his nose at the kiss. "And you're not the crazy hobo anymore. Come on…let's get back to the others, hm?"

Nodding, YoungSaeng hugged JungMin again tightly for another moment before finally pulling back. "I'm sorry I once again made you worry about me. I'm trying to do that less. I just... I needed to see for myself. So often I see these things, terrible things, but I never see it up close."

"Next time you want to go sightseeing, let me know?" JungMin shook his head, catching YoungSaeng's hand. "I'll go with you, just don't wander off on your own when it's this dangerous out."

"It's not really dangerous though, not anymore," YoungSaeng said, swinging their hands a little. "And not for me. HyungJoon isn't going after me anymore, he thinks I'm dead. SungMin isn't trying to kill me, and I can easily avoid getting mugged or attacked by street thugs. I'm not so helpless anymore, Min."

JungMin sighed quietly. "Whether you're helpless or not, I still worry about you, okay?" he said, turning to step over the caution tape. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

"I've already been beaten, tortured, and most recently shot," YoungSaeng said, following him out of the cordoned off area. "I don't know how much worse it could get for me."

"If it's okay with you, I'd rather not find out," JungMin looked back at YoungSaeng, letting go of YoungSaeng's hand to wrap his arm around the older man's waist.

YoungSaeng didn't respond, just looking up at JungMin with a small smile before leaning against him as they walked. There wasn't much left to be said, YoungSaeng enjoying being out of the house and in the fresh air. It was a beautiful day all things considered, and he wanted that moment to last as long as possible. As soon as they got back to JungMin's house, there would be planning and lots of talking and arguing. None of which would include YoungSaeng and he wanted JungMin to himself for as long as possible.

Despite their steps being slow, they reached the house much quicker than YoungSaeng liked and he trudged up the stairs behind him and into the house. The first thing he saw was a worried Zhou Mi looking YoungSaeng up and down. "I'm fine," he said just as Zhou Mi was opening his mouth to ask. He brushed past those who were crowding into the entryway, going for the stairs. "i'll be upstairs."

JungMin watched him go before turning back to the table, sighing. "So, what did we miss?"

"TaeYeon arrived, she's upstairs," Sunny said, leaning against the wall. "Everything's okay?"

"Yeah, everything's great," JungMin nodded, going to take his seat again.

Zhou Mi shared a frown with RyeoWook as they went to the kitchen to make something to eat while they waited. It was close to half an hour before TaeYeon came down, KyuJong and KiBum with her.

"Glad to see you two walking," KyuHyun said from where he was in a chair in the corner with SungMin. "Can we plan now?"

KiBum nodded, glancing at KyuJong before approaching the table. "What have we got so far?"

"RyeoWook's gotten us a layout of the place," JungMin leaned forward, pushing the piece of paper towards them. "We need to decide who's going, and who's hanging back just in case."

KyuJong took a seat at the table, looking at the sketched layout of the house. "What was decided so far?" he asked, looking up.

"Other than that, nothing," HyunJoong replied. "We thought it would be best to wait for our leader to make the decisions."

Nodding, KyuJong looked back down at the sketch. "There's two entrances, here and here," he said, marking them with a pen. "If he's expecting us, we can expect to encounter something at either one of them. JongWoon... where's JongWoon?" he looked around, finding the other man. "I need a list of every ability you know HyungJoon has."

JongWoon frowned before ducking his head in acknowledgement. ChangMin warily handed him a piece of paper and a pen, and the healer started to write.

"Yixing's said that he can try keeping HyungJoon distracted, if he reaches him first," RyeoWook said, curled up in the corner of the couch and resting.

"That's a lot," ChangMin frowned, watching what JongWoon was writing.

"We can't rely on Yixing at this juncture," KyuJong said. "Not to say that I don't think he could do it, but HyungJoon has shown us how he's always two steps ahead. Yixing will go in, and obviously that means Zhou Mi as well. JungMin, myself, HyunJoong, KyuHyun," he said, writing down the names in the margin of the paper. "And then KiBum and ChangMin. Everyone else will wait as backup."

"Sounds good," JungMin nodded.

"I'm not going with you?" SungMin looked at KyuHyun beside him, frowning. "Why?"

"...It's not like I really have a say," KyuHyun said, frowning at KyuJong. "Why isn't SungMin going in?"

"..." KyuJong looked up, his lips thinned into a frown. "Because frankly KyuHyun I still don't trust him."

"Hey, I noticed only Sworn are going in," HeeChul said, raising an eyebrow. "What, our people not good enough?"

KyuJong sighed, rubbing at his forehead. "RyeoWook is too tired to go in, he's done enough and I don't think his bird act will be helpful indoors. If Yixing is going to be trying to block HyungJoon then he needs to be somewhere safe. I'd rather have Zhou Mi with the rest of you as protection."

"You didn't even want to go in the first place, HeeChul," Zhou Mi said, frowning at him. "And you weren't letting Geng go either."

"He's got you there," Han Geng looked at HeeChul beside him, nudging the other man lightly.

"Do I have to be hypnotized again?" SungMin asked, looking at KyuJong, expression serious. "Because I'll let Hyun hypnotize me if that's the case. You're going to need whatever firepower you can get in there."

"We're not certain of that," KyuJong said. "No, SungMin. You'll stay outside with the others."

"Wait a minute, why aren't Sunny and I going in?" GyuRi asked, leaning forward. "Why do all the girls have to wait outside?"

"I'm not a girl," HeeChul sniffed.

"Had me fooled," GyuRi made a face at him. "Cause you sure sound like a girl when Geng's got you on your back and—" She didn't finish the sentence, KyuJong slamming a hand down on the table.

"This is not up for discussion," KyuJong said. "You chose me as the leader of us all, so as leader I make the decisions. This is not up for a group vote."

SungMin leaned back in his seat, lips pressed into a thin, angry line. Sunny didn't seem any happier she was being excluded; she'd wanted to face HyungJoon herself.

KiBum rested his hand lightly against KyuJong's shoulder. "When do we go?"

"Today. Tonight?" JungMin frowned. "We can't afford waiting any longer."

"Yes, tonight," KyuJong said. "And we're going to focus on getting DongHae and stopping HyungJoon once and for all. No more bickering, no more arguing about who gets to do what. Our priority is DongHae, so keep that in mind. If anyone has a problem with my decisions, they're welcome to leave and not come back."

"No one's going to leave," HyunJoong said, arms crossed. "Not when there's so much at stake."

"Right," Zhou Mi nodded. "We're all in this together, right?" he looked around at the others.

"Right," ChangMin nodded, expression set. Seeing JongWoon was done with his list, he took the paper from the man and held it out to KyuJong.

"How will we know if you're in trouble?" Sunny asked, frowning. "If we should run in and help?"

"If we're in trouble, we'll signal," KyuJong said. "And if we're not out in... an hour. Then we're probably in real trouble."

JungMin nodded, looking at the clock. "We've got a couple hours. I'd say everyone eats something, and tries to get whatever rest they can before we go."

"You all have to be careful," RyeoWook said, looking up at Zhou Mi worriedly.

"Don't worry, I'll keep you safe," Zhou Mi said, folding RyeoWook up in his long arms and cuddling him close. He watched KyuJong get up from the table and head into the kitchen by himself. "Why don't you and I go pick something up from the corner store for lunch?"

"Mhm." RyeoWook hugged Zhou Mi back tightly before untangling himself enough to stand.

SungMin watched KiBum follow KyuJong into the kitchen before looking back at KyuHyun. "I don't like this, at all," he said as the others talked quietly.

"Me either," KyuHyun sighed, slumping in his seat. "But... I mean I can't blame KyuJong. He's doing what he thinks is best for the group."

"Maybe, but I can't help you if I'm outside," SungMin murmured. "I should be watching your back, not hiding somewhere like a coward."

"Hey, you're not hiding," KyuHyun said, looking over at him. "And I don't need help. Those idiots outside will need help." He shifted a little, pulling SungMin over by his sleeve. "Look, I'd rather you be in there with me too," he said into SungMin's ear. "And... you're not really one of us, so why listen to KyuJong?"

Blinking, SungMin turned his head to look at KyuHyun beside him. "…I thought that's what you wanted me to do, listen to people," he replied back quietly, lips quirking.

"Listen to me," KyuHyun said, snorting a little. "I don't always listen to them so I wouldn't expect you too either. What're they going to do? Nothing."

"I just got out of trouble too," SungMin smirked, wrapping one arm around KyuHyun's waist and pulling him close. "Oh well."

"Exactly, I don't think he'll think of you any less if you disobeyed," KyuHyun chuckled. "Just... when we head towards the house, wait about ten seconds and follow after. By the time we're inside it'll be too late and KyuJong isn't going to stand around arguing about it."

"I like your plan much better. Okay, back into their poor graces I go. What should we do until we leave?" SungMin looked around the living room full of super heroes (and JongWoon).

"Not be here," KyuHyun muttered. "Couple hours right? Let's go... somewhere else."

SungMin brightened. "Let's go." He stood up, hand slipping into KyuHyun's as he headed to the door.

"Where are you two going?" ChangMin blinked after them.

"We'll be back in an hour or so," KyuHyun waved. That was really all anyone needed to know anyway.

KiBum watched them go from the kitchen entrance before sighing and approaching KyuJong. "How are you feeling?" he murmured, circling his arms around the older man's waist from behind.

"Tired," KyuJong sighed, leaning back against him. "I'm sorry, I was just so tired of all the bickering and HeeChul. That man is insufferable at the best of times."

"I'm not arguing with that," KiBum chuckled, resting his cheek against KyuJong's shoulder. "You're tense. Maybe you should go lie down again, we have some time to rest."

"I'd rather just be at home with you," KyuJong said, closing his eyes. "I'm very nervous KiBum... did I make the right decisions?"

"I think you made the best decisions for the group," KiBum murmured. "It's not easy being leader. But they all look to you because they know you're the best person for the job."

KyuJong snorted, turning in KiBum's arms so he could drape his own around the man's neck. "More like I'm the only one who can mediate between everyone and keep them from killing each other. You have no idea how many knock down drag out fights I've had to stop between JungMin and KyuHyun over the years."

"I could only imagine." KiBum's lips quivered, arms securing around KyuJong's waist again. "They still listen to you though, so obviously you're doing something right."

"I guess so," KyuJong smiled, resting his forehead against KiBum's. "We'll see if I can really lead people when it matters though. I have no idea what to expect when we get to that house. Did you see that list of abilities JongWoon wrote? It's as long as my arm."

"It's a lot of abilities, but HyungJoon's still one person. And one person still gets tired after too much exertion." KiBum brushed his lips against KyuJong's. "Whatever happens, we'll take care of it together."

"You'd better be right beside me the whole way," KyuJong replied, returning the kiss with one of his own a little firmly.

KiBum's arms tightened around KyuJong's waist, deepening the kiss. "Where else would I be?" he murmured when they had to pull back to breathe, kissing KyuJong again.

"Just making sure," KyuJong whispered, backing them up until he was up against the counter. His hand curled into KiBum's shirt and he deepened the kiss further.

The younger man didn't protest at all, head tilting to the side and eyes closing. The hand that wasn't pressing into KyuJong's back lifted to twine into his boyfriend's hair, tugging lightly on the soft strands.

KyuJong barely had enough presence of mind not to strip KiBum right there, pulling back a little to look into KiBum's eyes. "I think... come with me," he murmured, taking KiBum's hand to lead him from the room. It seemed most everyone had cleared out from the upstairs, the two girls and ChangMin still relaxing on the couch. KyuJong didn't pay them any mind as he dragged KiBum towards the bathroom. It was the only door with a lock.

Upstairs, JungMin headed into the bedroom in search of YoungSaeng. "Saeng? We're done the meeting, we'll be leaving in a couple hours."

"I know," YoungSaeng said, curled up against the headboard, knees drawn to his chest. "And I don't know what's going to happen. I won't be able to see it. It's going to drive me absolutely crazy not knowing."

JungMin closed the door behind him, walking to the bed and sitting down. "We'll be fine, Saeng. Trust in us, okay? We'll get DongHae back and bring that to justice for what he did to you, to everyone."

"You're just saying that to make me feel better," YoungSaeng pouted at him. "You can't get hurt okay? I won't allow it. Promise me you won't get hurt."

"I can't promise that," JungMin pouted back. "But I can promise I'll try not to be." He scooted closer on the bed.

"I'll have to take what I can get," YoungSaeng said, watching him move closer. "You got your bed back."

"I did, for however long it lasts." JungMin looked down, hand covering YoungSaeng's lightly. "Come on…smile."

"Make me," YoungSaeng replied, wrinkling his nose a little. "I have to stay here don't I, while everyone else is out being heroes?"

"Yeah, cause if HyungJoon finds out you're still alive, there's no telling what he'll do." JungMin leaned in, bringing his face close to YoungSaeng's. "Smile Saeng, I miss my crazy hobo's smile."

"I'm not a crazy hobo," YoungSaeng said. "You know, I actually have a home, and I'm not crazy."

JungMin's lips pursed sadly. "I know. Your home's here." He pulled back.

"It is now," YoungSaeng said, an actual small smile forming. "But I had an apartment, before... but it's been so long. My parents cleaned it out... they think I'm dead."

JungMin shifted to rest his back against the headboard, legs stretched out in front of him. "Do you think you'll go find them once this is over?" he asked.

"Yes, I kind of miss them," YoungSaeng nodded, closing his eyes. "I'm an only child, and they had such high hopes for me. I wouldn't even be able to begin to explain where I was, or what happened."

The redhead frowned, playing with the edge of one sleeve as he looked across the room. "Do you think they'd approve of me?"

YoungSaeng looked up at him, lips quirked slightly. "Do you want to know the possibilities, or just what I think?" he asked, scooting up so he could lean his head against JungMin's shoulder. "I think they'll adore you, just like I do."

Looking at YoungSaeng, JungMin wrapped an arm loosely around the older man's shoulders. "Okay…that's good, at least. I usually don't get along well with parents."

"You'll get along with mine," YoungSaeng said, smiling up at him. "I know... you didn't get along with yours. I didn't get along with mine for a long time either. They didn't... accept my ability as truth. Still don't."

JungMin shook his head. "Maybe they will one day. You seem to know everything about me without me ever telling you."

"I knew your face before I could talk JungMin," YoungSaeng said sadly. "I watched you grow up. I smiled and laughed with you at every good moment, and cried at every setback and heart break. You were my best friend, and you didn't even know I existed."

The redhead looked down, before returning his gaze to YoungSaeng's face. "I know you now," he murmured, brushing the other man's hair out of his face absently.

"And I hope you're happy because of it," YoungSaeng said, nuzzling into him. "I love you."

"Can't you tell when I'm happy, if you've known me this long?" JungMin chuckled, wrapping both arms around YoungSaeng. "I love you too."

"Of course I can, it's just nice to hear you admit it," YoungSaeng hummed a little.

Shaking his head in amusement, JungMin pulled YoungSaeng into his lap. "I still have an hour or so…do you mind if I want to be close to you for a while?"

"Never," YoungSaeng said, shifting until he was comfortable, straddling JungMin's waist. "And I hope you don't mind if I want to be more than close," he said, leaning in for a kiss.

JungMin returned the kiss, eyes closing. "Never mind," he murmured against YoungSaeng's lips, fingers running along YoungSaeng's back and slipping up the back of the older man's shirt.

Downstairs, GyuRi looked towards the basement stairs, then towards the bathroom and up at the ceiling as she sighed. "Well it's not like I can blame them for wanting to be close right now, but still. At least KyuHyun and SungMin had the decency to leave the house before having ."

"Where else is JungMin gonna go," ChangMin wrinkled his nose. "As much as I want to stay here and enjoy these lovely noises, I'd rather not." He stood up, stretching. "You girls got anywhere you want to go, before we head out?"

"Not particularly," Sunny shook her head, curled up on the couch with her cheek resting on one knee. "I might just try to sleep."

"Sleep where? I'm tired of sleeping downstairs when HeeChul and Han Geng aren't even remotely trying to hide what they're doing," GyuRi said, standing up as well. "I want ice cream, let's go get ice cream."

"You sure you're not coming, Sunny?" ChangMin looked at her; their sunshine had been understandably depressed lately.

"I'm sure, you two have fun," Sunny waved one hand at them, lying on her back on the sofa. "Bring me back something good."

"Ice cream?" Yixing poked his head out of the kitchen, perking up.

"We'll bring you back something too," ChangMin snorted, turning towards the door.

GyuRi looked up at ChangMin with a sad smile, linking elbows with him at the door. "We'll have to bring Sunny back the biggest thing of ice cream we can... she needs it."

"Yeah," ChangMin nodded as they left the house, heading down the sidewalk. "Ice cream, and maybe HyungJoon's head on the side. I wish KyuJong would have let her at least come with us, but I guess I can understand why he didn't."

"I don't," GyuRi made a face at that. "Okay, maybe I do. Can't let emotions get in the way of doing what's right, and I'm sure she knows that somewhere. She isn't happy about it though."

"I wouldn't be either in her shoes." ChangMin frowned, looking up at the sky. It always seemed to be darker lately, even during the day. The sun was hidden behind grey clouds. "Everything's changed."

"...Yeah," GyuRi nodded, glancing up at him. "I'm glad you're here. I really missed you."

ChangMin looked back down at her, lips quirked sadly. "I'd say I missed you too, but as far as my memory goes, two weeks ago you were patching up a hole in that costume of yours. Why did you leave the group?"

"Same reason as KyuJong," GyuRi said. "I couldn't do it anymore, not without the one person who made it worth doing. It wasn't the same without you."

"I didn't do much though," ChangMin blinked, expression unreadable. "Just boost powers and eat all KyuJong's cooking."

"And kept me company," GyuRi said, her expression clouding over. "I don't think you realize just how important you were... are to some people."

"I think I got a bit of that," ChangMin frowned, remembering when he'd been pulled back into the proper time. Stopping on the sidewalk, he turned to GyuRi and pulled her into a hug. "I'm back now…two years behind the times, but still."

GyuRi's arms went around his middle, leaning into him. "You're not allowed to leave me like that ever again, you understand?"

"I'll do my best," ChangMin chuckled. He pulled back after a minute, linking their arms again. "So tell me what I missed. JungMin said you're a bigshot super star now."

"I am, not that he's ever seen anything I've been in or listened to my music," GyuRi sniffed a little. "But I'm a huge star. Maybe I can give you my autograph if you ask nicely."

"Autograph, and maybe a backstage pass to your next concert?" ChangMin grinned at her. "I always said you have a great voice."

"I do," GyuRi agreed, her chin lifted and smiling proudly. "They don't just let anyone in backstage, I'd have to come up with a good reason why you'd be there... let them know who you are."

"If they let in every person who claimed to be a superhero, I'd be worried about the security standards," ChangMin snorted.

"... That's not what I meant," GyuRi huffed. "Nevermind, I'll get your tickets next time I have a concert. Considering I left without a word to my manager or company though, it may be never."

"Let us talk to them and we'll set them straight," ChangMin chuckled. "Or, we could make up some big elaborate story about you being kidnapped, and I can arrive in full costume carrying you like a rescued princess. How does that sound?"

"Hmm... when we get out of this I can tell you what I think," GyuRi said, smirking a little. "But then it'd be all over the news sites that I was dating a super hero. Think of my image."

"I dunno, it might boost your popularity," ChangMin chuckled, though his expression fell slightly. "When I got back, I asked KyuJong if BoMi…if she was, you know, okay. She's been seeing someone else for over a year. I don't think she'd really appreciate me showing up at her door, back from the dead."

"Probably not," GyuRi said, looking away. "She was nice and all, but regular people and super heroes don't mix. They don't understand like one of us do."

"It's not like I can call her up and tell her I was stuck in a time loop for two years," ChangMin sighed, ducking his head and running one hand through his hair.

"It's not like you were even dating that long though," GyuRi said. "What was so special about her?"

"She was nice, funny, cute…" ChangMin shrugged, depressed. "I'll get over it eventually, it's just tough suddenly finding nothing's the same as it was five minutes ago and your girlfriend's moved on without you."

"You know, if you want to talk about it, when we have time, I'm here for you," GyuRi said, nudging him a little. "I may not be as nice or as funny as she was, but I'm for sure cuter."

ChangMin chuckled at that, a smile forming on his lips again. "I don't know about that…" He mused teasingly, pulling her closer before she could run away.

"Don't think that you can just flash that smile of yours and get away with teasing me," GyuRi huffed. "That isn't always going to work on me."

"Hey, I have two years of teasing to make up for," ChangMin grinned. "I get at least a couple freebies. And you like my smile."

"Only when your eyes don't go all weird," GyuRi said, pointedly looking away from him. "You look like a serial killer."

"I do not!" ChangMin pouted. "See if I smile for you anymore." He opened the door to an ice cream shop, holding it for her.

"You will," GyuRi said, stopping just inside the door. She looked up at him with a sweet smile, leaning up to press a kiss to his cheek before stepping into the store.

ChangMin stood in the door for a moment longer, blinking after her. Wiping at his cheek, he saw the faint smudge of lip-gloss on his fingers and grinned, shaking his head as he followed her.