Taking the Oath

The Sworn

JungMin focused on getting KyuJong out of the building, lifting him up once he was clear of the rubble. He climbed back out into the street, coughing from the smoke. Glancing back to see Zhou Mi following with KiBum, JungMin moved away from the building. They were just in time, another crash echoing inside the building.

The sight of a demolished building seemed to have quieted the riot, people standing back in a mix of shock and horror. Zhou Mi made it to the sidewalk with KiBum, slumping down onto the ground. The diamonds overlaying on his skin dissolved, and he panted a little at how much energy all of that had taken. There were sirens in the distance and it sounded like they were coming closer. Zhou Mi looked up JungMin. "Hospital, or healer?" he asked, voice hoarse.

JungMin looked at KyuJong, taking in the injuries. Would a hospital be able to take care of their injuries properly?

"Healer," he replied, panting as he looked back at Zhou Mi. "We'll need two…TaeYeon and, and that JongWoon guy." He carefully rested KyuJong on the ground, calling his house line.

ChangMin picked up. "Call TaeYeon and get her to the house, we'll be there soon," JungMin said into the phone. "HyunJoong and JongWoon are still there? Good. KyuJong and KiBum are badly injured. Get HeeChul to drive down to the flower shop, right now, I don't care what he says." ChangMin hung up after confirming he understood.

"JongWoon?" Zhou Mi looked up at JungMin with a worried frown. "You'd let that guy anywhere near KyuJong?"

"TaeYeon won't be able to take care of them both by herself, she'll still be drained after healing SungMin." JungMin looked at Zhou Mi. "I don't trust JongWoon as far as I could throw him, but that's why we need HyunJoong. To make sure he won't try anything."

"I hope you're right," Zhou Mi said, looking down at the injured two. If they didn't get help soon, they could die. There wasn't much of a choice really. If JongWoon was a healer then he was needed to save them. It wouldn't be enough to absolve JongWoon of his crimes, but it would be a start.

It didn't take long for HeeChul to show up, nearly running people over who were in the road before he screeched to a halt at the curb. "I got blankets," HeeChul said as he climbed out, grabbing the blankets from the passenger's seat. "Holy ..." his eyes widened at the state of the demolished building, and then at KiBum and KyuJong. "Were they in there?"

"Yes," Zhou Mi said, getting to his feet. "Lay those blankets in the backseat." HeeChul, for once, didn't argue and made room in the backseat, laying out the blankets before stepping aside.

JungMin already had KyuJong gathered in his arms, lying the older man down in the backseat. He carefully arranged his friend's arms and legs so there was room for KiBum too, helping Zhou Mi to get him in. It was tight getting them all into the car, JungMin staying in the back so he could watch them. The ambulances were just arriving as they drove back to JungMin's house.

ChangMin was outside the house waiting for them, eyes wide. He swore when he saw the state KyuJong and KiBum were in, opening the door to the house for them and propping it open. JungMin gathered KyuJong in his arms, heading straight inside and upstairs.

With ChangMin's help, Zhou Mi was able to get KiBum inside the house, following after JungMin to the bedroom. TaeYeon wasn't there yet, but HyunJoong had a firm grip on JongWoon's shoulder as they went up as well.

"Mi, ChangMin, go downstairs," HyunJoong said, his lips thinned as he took in how bad KiBum and KyuJong's injuries were. "Don't let anyone but TaeYeon come up here until JungMin says so."

JungMin lay KyuJong down on the bed, leaving space for KiBum beside him. "You're going to heal them," he looked at JongWoon, eyes narrowed. "Now."

JongWoon looked away from where he was watching Zhou Mi and ChangMin leave. "…I guess I'm being hypnotized whether I say I'll heal them or not," he sighed, turning to HyunJoong.

"We're not giving you any opportunity to hurt anyone," HyunJoong said. "Heal them," he said, eyes narrowing.

JungMin watched carefully as JongWoon's eyes hazed over, and he turned back to the bed. He started on KiBum, the closest person to him, lifting his hands and suspending them inches above KiBum's body. The air between his hands and KiBum glowed softly, and he slowly went along healing the worst of the injuries.

It seemed to take forever to JungMin, who had to resist pacing. JongWoon had just turned to KyuJong after stabilizing KiBum's condition enough, when TaeYeon appeared. "I swear, you people," she panted, out of breath. Once she had recovered from rushing there from KyuHyun's apartment, she turned to finish healing KiBum in JongWoon's place.

"Thank you TaeYeon," HyunJoong said quietly. "Maybe we should start paying her, or at least feeding her." He turned to JongWoon, his expression grim. "Go downstairs, and sit down."

JongWoon turned and left the room mutely. JungMin brought the chair closer to the bed so TaeYeon could sit down. She checked over KiBum before judging he was okay for the moment, turning her attention to KyuJong and sitting down next to the bed.

"We'll definitely pay you back for all this," JungMin sighed, rubbing his hands over his face. "It was chaos out there…people rioting and looting everywhere. Their building collapsed of fire."

"They're lucky to be alive then," HyunJoong said. "And lucky that YoungSaeng saw what was happening... though he could have said something before they left."

"Yes…I'll have to talk to him about that," JungMin frowned, watching TaeYeon heal KyuJong. "This isn't good…even if RyeoWook finds HyungJoon's location today, half of us are too injured to go anywhere. They'll need some time to recover."

"If RyeoWook comes back with a location, I'm going to get DongHae whether anyone else is or not," HyunJoong said, looking at JungMin. "I'm not going to just leave him there."

"None of us want to leave him there either," JungMin's lips thinned. "But do you really think you'll be able to get him back by yourself? He has outsmarted every one of us several times over, we need to work together on this."

HyunJoong laughed dryly at that. "Work together... it's so odd hearing that coming from you."

JungMin scowled. "Listen. This doesn't mean I've stopped hating your guts, because I'd still like nothing more than to see you behind bars where you belong. But I'm not stupid. I know we have to work together; that doesn't mean I have to like it. Why you even care about helping us find DongHae, is what I'm wondering right now. You've made your opinion on heroes abundantly clear in the past."

"Have I?" HyunJoong tilted his head, looking at JungMin. "And what would my opinion on heroes be, I'm very interested to know what that is."

"That wasn't my question," JungMin replied, arms folded across his chest. "You used to be our friend…we thoughtyou were our friend. In one fantastic move, you betrayed our trust in you and made a mockery of everything we stood for. For what? Was getting rich fast more important to you than helping those who needed it? Was it more important than your friends?"

"What would be the point in trying to explain to you?" HyunJoong said, shaking his head. "You have your opinion on what happened, and nothing is ever going to change it. I as much betrayed myself as I betrayed you and the others. I'm not proud of the things I did, because I didn't know what I was doing. Not at first. When I finally realized what JaeJoong had been doing, and how he'd been using me, none of you were willing to help. You all turned your backs on me."

"We didn't help you, because I for one had a hard time believing you could behave as a criminal for so long, hiding it from us, without realizing what you were doing was wrong," JungMin retorted. "How are we supposed to help someone who doesn't want to be helped, HyunJoong?"

"Because JaeJoong told me what we were doing was for the group, but we couldn't talk about it..." HyunJoong closed his eyes and breathed out slowly. "I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I was doing what our goal was because someone I trusted had deceived me. When I found out the truth, when you and the others caught me... and then were ready to throw me to the wolves for something he had done... it was then I realized that heroes don't really care. You said you wanted to help me? When? When you were ready to hand me over to the police?"

"Wanting to help you doesn't change the fact you committed a crime. It doesn't change the fact that, whether you were led on by JaeJoong or not, you deceived us just like he'd deceived you." JungMin looked away, jaw working. "Then you made yourself into a full-time villain. That was when I stopped caring, not before."

"I became a villain when you turned your back on me," HyunJoong said. "I wanted to be a hero, to do good things and I was so naive to how things really were. I didn't mean to deceive anyone, and if I could go back and change things... I probably would." He took a step closer to JungMin. "Right now, someone I truly care about is being hurt, and I want to save him. Because that's what he would do for me... because that's what heroes do."

JungMin glanced back at HyunJoong out of the corner of his eyes, searching the man's face. After a moment, he nodded. "We'll get him back. Whatever it takes, we'll get DongHae back." His lips quirked wryly. "That kid must have done something right; keep talking like that, and you'll actually sound like one of us."

"I know, I feel like an idiot," HyunJoong snorted, rolling his eyes. "Look, no matter what's happened between us in the past... can we call a truce from here on out? I don't like the idea of having to look over my shoulder every time I'm here, just in case you're trying to get the drop on me."

"That would make two of us." JungMin looked down at KyuJong before nodding and holding out one hand to HyunJoong. "Truce."

HyunJoong took JungMin's hand, giving it a good firm grip before letting go. "Alright... strangely I'm feeling a little better now. I kind of feel like I'm actually part of the team."

"We are a team right now," JungMin rolled his eyes, looking down at TaeYeon. "How're they doing?"

"They'll be fine," TaeYeon sighed, brushing damp bangs out of her face. "They'll need the night to recover…can I ask that you please don't get yourself injured within the next few hours? I'm completely tapped out."

"We don't set out to get hurt," JungMin wrinkled his nose, before cringing back at the look the healer gave him. "Okay, okay, we'll do our best."

"Which means people just stay inside for the night," HyunJoong said, sighing a little. He looked over at a tap on the door, YoungSaeng poking his head in.

"KyuHyun and SungMin are here," YoungSaeng said quietly, slipping into the room.

"Okay," JungMin frowned, watching his boyfriend. "Is everything okay downstairs? Do they know what just happened?"

"I told them, they're worried," YoungSaeng said, leaning up against the wall. "They'll be okay..." he looked down at his feet. 

"TaeYeon, you look like you could use a meal," HyunJoong said. "Why don't I take you down and see if someone can get you something to eat."

"Thank you," she smiled gratefully, standing and slowly following HyunJoong out of the room.

JungMin watched them go before turning to YoungSaeng. "Did you know this was going to happen?" he asked quietly. "That the shop would catch fire?"

"...No," YoungSaeng said quietly, not looking up. "That's the downside of having control back. I keep the visions at a distance so I don't get overwhelmed, but I miss things. Important things. I'm sorry, I should have... I could have prevented this and I was too distracted."

The redhead watched YoungSaeng for a moment before sighing softly. "It wasn't your fault. We can't expect you to be watching the future, all possible futures, all the time. The whole reason I wanted your control back was so that you wouldn't have to keep an eye on that all the time." He stepped closer to the older man.

"But what good is this if I can't help save the people I care about," YoungSaeng said, looking up at JungMin. "DongHae's gone, KiBum and KyuJong almost died... and I couldn't do anything to stop it. I wish I didn't have this JungMin. It has done nothing for me, or anyone... so much pain because of me."

"No…" JungMin shook his head, resting his hands on YoungSaeng's shoulders. "If you hadn't told me the shop was on fire, Zhou Mi and I might not have made it there in time to save them. You helped save them, and your visions of DongHae will help save him too. Did you already forget RyeoWook's out looking for him thanks to your information?"

"But I don't know if he will find the house," YoungSaeng said, leaning into JungMin, his arms going around his waist. "I see two outcomes of this, but nothing in between. It scares me."

"That doesn't mean you didn't help," JungMin secured his arms around YoungSaeng's shoulder and rested his head against the other man's. "I'm scared too, but we're not going to stop now. We're going to see this through to the end, no matter what happens."

YoungSaeng didn't reply to that, just holding tight to JungMin. "We lost our bed," he murmured after a few moments of silence.

"We did," JungMin snorted, shaking his head. "Guess we're on the couch tonight…not happy about that, but they need the bed more than we do. Come on…let's go downstairs, and let these two rest. They had a hell of a day."

"It's not even over yet," YoungSaeng said, looking up at him. "It's time for HyunJoong to finish what he started. He needs to take the oath."

"He does?" JungMin frowned, meeting YoungSaeng's eyes as he leaned back. "Why? He said he'd work with us to get DongHae back, that doesn't mean he's a part of the Sworn."

"And I told you there needed to be six," YoungSaeng said. "Six people to go to save DongHae. He's needed, he's always been needed. What happened in the past, is the past."

"I don't…" JungMin looked back at KyuJong on the bed. "I don't understand why he has to take the oath though. What difference would it make?"

"Would make the difference for him," YoungSaeng said. "And for you. To be a real team, and work together."

JungMin's lips thinned before he looked back at YoungSaeng. "We'll have to wait for KyuJong's opinion. I'm not the leader; he is. It's his decision in the end."

"Right, first thing tomorrow," YoungSaeng smiled, leaning up to kiss JungMin lightly. "And then we get our bed back."

Returning the kiss, JungMin wrinkled his nose at YoungSaeng. "Come on, let's see what's going on downstairs. The living room's got to be close to exploding by now."

"Then why do you want to go down there?" YoungSaeng sighed, though he did step back to take JungMin's hand and lead him to the door. "It's just going to be loud."

"Because those two need their rest without us talking nearby, and I want to make sure they're not destroying my house," JungMin sniffed, following YoungSaeng to the stairs and down to the main floor. "Yah, everyone behaving themselves down here?"

"How are they?" KyuHyun asked, ignoring JungMin's question.

"They're resting, I wouldn't expect to see them the rest of the day," JungMin replied, looking from KyuHyun to SungMin. The assassin didn't look very comfortable being there.

"I hope there's no problem with him being here," KyuHyun said, his hand finding SungMin's. He lifted his chin slightly in challenge. "Now that we know the truth anyway."

JungMin's lips thinned slightly. "…He can be here, but all usual threats of maiming and death by fire still apply," he pointed at the assassin, other hand on his hip. "And if anything happens to Sparky, I'll make it extra painful, got it?"

"Got it," SungMin replied, fingers curling around KyuHyun's as his lips quirked in a half-smile.

"You're so intimidating JungMin," KyuHyun rolled his eyes.

YoungSaeng, who had been hiding slightly behind JungMin, shuffled out from his shadow. "SungMin, you and I need to talk in the kitchen," he said, letting go of JungMin's hand.

About to retort at KyuHyun, JungMin's mouth opened without a sound before he looked at YoungSaeng. "…Huh?"

SungMin appeared surprised as well, blinking at the man he had tried to kill on multiple occasions. Glancing at KyuHyun beside him, the assassin nodded. "Sure." His hand slipped out of KyuHyun's as he turned to head into the kitchen, which was empty for the moment.

"Don't worry, it's fine," YoungSaeng said to JungMin quietly, leaning up to give him a quick kiss to the cheek before following SungMin into the kitchen. He knew the others would be listening, it's what they did. He sat down at the small table, giving SungMin a curious expression. "Well?"

The assassin didn't sit down, standing by the table with his arms folded across his chest. He chuckled quietly after a moment, shaking his head. "I guess you already know what I'm going to say, if you knew I wanted to talk to you." He glanced at the kitchen door before turning his attention back to YoungSaeng. "I know it won't mean much of anything after all this, and I don't expect it to change what you or they think of me. But I want to apologize for hurting you. I'm sorry."

"I know you are, and your apology is accepted," YoungSaeng said. "But... even with everything that I know about why you did what you did, and your rationalizing it... I can't forgive you. Not yet. In any given situation there is a choice, and I saw you making other choices, better choices. Ones that didn't end up with me being shot. I may have told JungMin it had to happen, but you and I both know that isn't true."

SungMin's lips twisted slightly, and he shook his head. "Not everyone can see where each choice will lead like you can. I did what I thought was the best way, the only way. I'm not asking for your forgiveness, YoungSaeng, because I know I'm not going to get it. I just wanted to let you know that, whether it was the best choice or not, I'm sorry it ended the way it did."

"I wouldn't really say it was an ending," YoungSaeng said, his expression thoughtful. "Sit down, please. I think there's a lot we have to talk about. I have something I want to apologize to you for."

"…To me?" SungMin raised an eyebrow before sitting down across from YoungSaeng. "I was the one trying to kill you this whole time."

"No, you weren't," YoungSaeng said with a laugh. "There is something in all of this that you don't know. HyungJoon, since... since he kidnapped me and held me hostage, he was clouding my visions. Letting me see only what he wanted me to see. Or, filtering out the timelines so I didn't see what he was doing. What I was seeing, wasn't the truth, and if I had been able to see everything clearly from the beginning, I would have seen that you were never going to kill me. I'm sorry I doubted you."

SungMin blinked at the other man, feeling a little lost. Whether or not he had actually succeeded in killing YoungSaeng or not, it had still been his goal for a while. "Uh…apology accepted, I guess? You seriously don't have to apologize for that, it's usually a good, healthy thing to doubt the person pointing a gun at you."

"That's probably true," YoungSaeng laughed at that, his eyes crinkling slightly. "I felt that I needed to apologize, because the others wouldn't have been so... hostile towards you in the beginning if it hadn't been for me. If they had seen you as KyuHyun did, then you wouldn't have needed to lie, or to shoot me. I know it all worked out now, but it is something I regret. Thank you, for talking to me. I feel better now."

"Great," SungMin chuckled quietly, smiling at the other man. He glanced towards the kitchen door. "…So which ones are pressed against the wall listening right now?" he murmured in amusement.

"Let's put it this way," YoungSaeng replied, leaning slightly over the table. "HeeChul didn't want to get off the couch."

SungMin smirked, shaking his head. "This house is way too crowded." He got up from the chair, slipping out of it without scrapping against the floor or table. The assassin soundlessly moved to the kitchen door, staying out of sight.

Stepping across the threshold, SungMin eyed the people pressed against the wall with his arms folded across his chest. "Hi?" He backpedaled quickly when ChangMin fell off his precarious perch on the edge of a chair with a yelp and a bang.

"This house is too small," HeeChul put in, still stretched out on the couch. "So is anyone going to feed us now?"

"I'll order something," JungMin rolled his eyes, going to the phone. "You are helping to pay for all the food you keep eating, right?" He leaned into the kitchen, glad to see YoungSaeng was okay, before grabbing the phone and going to make a call.

SungMin returned to KyuHyun's side, eyeing JongWoon who was slumped forward in his chair still. "So what's going on about DongHae?" he frowned, not having heard any plans.

"Dunno yet, they said something about RyeoWook out looking," KyuHyun shrugged. "We can ask later." He leaned in, voice lowering. "Everything okay? I couldn't hear much, Zhou Mi was breathing in my ear."

"Why does the whole house have to listen in," SungMin murmured, amused. "Everything's fine…we just talked. He's still in the kitchen if you want to make sure he's still in one piece."

"Well if JungMin's ordering food then obviously he's fine," KyuHyun replied, nudging him in the ribs. "Don't be a brat."

"What, it was a valid statement, in case you were worried or something," SungMin winced, one hand against where he'd been elbowed. "Ow."

"Sorry," KyuHyun frowned, his hand going to SungMin's back. "I wasn't worried, I know you wouldn't do anything... I mean not with JungMin right there. I was just curious what was going on, what he said."

"Meaning you think I'd do something if JungMin wasn't right there?" SungMin's eyes met KyuHyun's.

"...No, that's not..." KyuHyun ran a hand through his hair in agitation. "No, I don't think you would. I was just saying, that even if you were, you wouldn't with JungMin right there. But I know you won't because you're not going to hurt people anymore."

The corner of SungMin's lips quirked. "Right. I'm not. Unless they hurt you first, of course." Seeing there was no free seats anywhere, he pulled KyuHyun to sit down on the bottom stairs to the second floor.

"Even then, you're not allowed to kill anyone," KyuHyun replied. "Unless they're holding a gun to my head again."