'Crazy Precog Hobo'

The Sworn

 

chapter two                     
✧✦Crazy Precog Hobo✦✧


"ShatterWave." The man called out, pushing the hoods off of his head. Long black matted hair framed his pale and drawn face. "Help me."

Flinching, JungMin turned back towards the stranger, jaw clenched. His eyes searched the man's expression. "I don't think you're getting something. That name? That isn't mine anymore. I gave it up, and I'm not taking it back.  All the homemade superheroes running around the city, why can't you go bother one of them?"

"Because they won't be the one to save my life," the man said, looking back toward KyuJong momentarily before looking at JungMin again. "Days... not far away... we stay together. Live, if together. Apart, we die. All of us. The whole world... dead."

JungMin eyed the stranger. "Yeah...okay. You sure he's a precog, Kyu? He sounds a little crazy to me." He shook his head, walking over to the couch and dropping down. "What big disaster is it this time?"

"He's more than your average precog Min..." KyuJong said, stepping forward to take the new arrival by the hand. "I can feel what he's going through, how powerful his ability is. He can't just see the future, he sees all possible futures."

"The Sworn, must return," the man said, looking from KyuJong to JungMin. "They have already returned."

"... Min, do you have any bandages?" KyuJong asked, looking at the dried blood on the man's hand. "I think he's bleeding."

Standing again, JungMin stalked off muttering under his breath. By the time he returned a minute later with a kit, he seemed a little calmer. "Here. Now can you tell me what in the world's going on, Kyu? From the beginning. Was there some sort of fight?" He opened the kit and pulled out antiseptics.

"I can only tell you what I know, which isn't much," KyuJong said, helping the new man out of his coat. "I was heading to the market this morning, but I went a different way than I usually do. I don't know why but I felt like a change of pace... so I was going down this alley when I felt just... this presence and it was so powerful. It drew me to him—"

"YoungSaeng," the man said, blinking at JungMin. "That's my name, in answer to your question."

JungMin blinked back at the precog. "Question? I didn't ask any question about your name, I was asking about everything but your name."

"Oh..." YoungSaeng frowned at that. "Jumbled... order... time."

"...Like I was saying," KyuJong started again. "I found him sitting in a pile of trash, and he looked up at me and said... 'Oh, it is today,' and smiled at me. I... oh my..." KyuJong had been dabbing at the small cuts on YoungSaeng's arm, pushing up the man's sleeve. "Min, his shirt is soaked in blood," he said quietly, looking at the back of YoungSaeng's shirt.

"Pain over now, escaped," YoungSaeng smiled, closing his eyes. "For now."

"...So to recap, we've got a crazy precog who somehow knows about us, is predicting something huge is going to turn the world inside-out, and is bleeding all over the place. Fantastic." JungMin stepped closer. "Get him out of that, we need to see where the damage is," he pulled carefully at the many layers of clothes.

"I don't think he's completely crazy," KyuJong said, helping YoungSaeng to undress. For YoungSaeng's part, he didn't seem to mind what was being said or done to him, though he did flinch slightly when the last shirt was pulled up over his head. KyuJong's eyes widened at the bruises and gashes up and down the man's back, arms and chest. "What happened to you?" he whispered.

"The darkness..." YoungSaeng said, his eyes closing. "Darkness lashes out. Uses, uses, uses. Use up the world, gobble up the light, but not the gold. Never the gold."

"He sounds crazy to me." JungMin frowned at the injuries. "Okay, you need to sit." he steered YoungSaeng to the couch.  "We'll take care of him, then you and I are having words," he eyed KyuJong, grabbing wipes to clean up the wounds.

"Have you ever met a precog that wasn't at least a little crazy?" KyuJong sighed a little in defeat. At least JungMin wasn't throwing them both out on their asses. Well not yet at least. He'd have to see how the 'talk' would go.

By the time they had finished cleaning up YoungSaeng's wounds, the man was a patchwork of gauze and tape. KyuJong was taping up the last cut when he noticed the bruise on YoungSaeng's jaw. "Maybe once he's had some food and some rest he'll be a little more coherent."

"Hope he likes ramyeon then," JungMin sighed, finishing off what he was doing and standing.  "Unless he waits until he's back at your place, that's all he's getting here." He walked towards the kitchen.

"No!" YoungSaeng blurted out. "Not leave, never leave, die if leave!" he pushed away KyuJong's attempt to calm him. "Must stay... stay with the Shattered one."

"What?" JungMin looked back at him, eyes narrowed. "No, you're not staying here. KyuJong, tell him he's not."

"But..." YoungSaeng's eyes dimmed and he slumped slightly in his seat. "All paths, live if stay, die if not. Must stay, don't want to die... can't let the darkness win."

"I don't think he's really listening to anything right now," KyuJong said, watching YoungSaeng with a frown. "What if he's right that he'll die if he leaves? I'm not going to be able to take care of him Min, I have the shop to run."

"And you think I'll be able to take care of him? Me?" JungMin shook his head. "Nevermind I don't want anything to do with this. We need to talk, right now." He turned away and disappeared into the next room, cupboards banging as he looked for something to feed the precog.

"And I was hoping he'd take this better," KyuJong said quietly, giving YoungSaeng a small smile before getting up and joining JungMin in the other room. Crossing his arms, he leaned up against the counter. "Min, you wouldn't have been my first choice to help, but he asked for you specifically."

"I don't have the slightest idea why, there are much more qualified people out there than me." JungMin found a package of ramyeon, getting out a pot. "What do you want me to do, Kyu?"

"I don't know, this wasn't my idea," KyuJong said, shaking his head. "But I think we need to find out more about what's going on, what happened to him and what it is that he's saying will happen. He seems pretty adamant that if he leaves here, it will be bad. Do you want to take that chance?"

JungMin placed the pot down, closing his eyes. "...No. But I don't want to get involved in all that superhero stuff anymore, Kyu. I don't have it in me. You didn't want to go through all that again either."

"No, I don't," KyuJong said, looking down at his feet. "But I don't have it in me to turn him loose on the streets either and act like nothing happened. Saving people... that's still a big part of me. I haven't met anyone who needs saving as much as he does right now."

Turning back towards the older man, JungMin leaned against the counter. "All those times asking me if I miss it...you do, don't you?"

"I don't miss nearly getting killed, or nearly killing other people... but yeah," KyuJong nodded, looking up at JungMin. "I do miss it. I just didn't want to go on without you. Didn't feel right."

The redhead's lips thinned. "It was for the best." He looked away, silent for a long moment. "...I'll watch over the precog for you, I'm here all the time anyways. But don't expect more than that from me."

"Thank you Min," KyuJong smiled a little at that. "I hope he won't be too much trouble for you, and I'll be by after I close the shop for the night every day."

"Yeah, okay." JungMin turned back to fixing the noodles, setting water to boil. "The Sworn won't come back though, whatever he seems to think."

"Well, he does seem to have his time jumbled up," KyuJong shrugged. "Or maybe he was just referring to KyuHyun. I think he's still using it isn't he?"

"Last I heard, yeah. The rest of us certainly aren't." JungMin glanced over his shoulder. "What are you going to do about this?"

"I have no idea," KyuJong shook his head. "I was hoping he would be able to tell me a little more about what needs to be done, then go from there."

"If you can get a straight answer out of him, precogs hate giving straight answers." JungMin was silent as he made the bowl of ramyeon, thinking about what they'd just gotten themselves into.

Finishing everything, he grabbed a pair of chopsticks and picked up the bowl, heading back to the living room.

KyuJong followed him out, watching as YoungSaeng dug into the food eagerly. "You have any clothes that might fit him? I can pick up some things tomorrow for him but I think he'll need something clean for today."

"He looks like he'll float in whatever I have, but I can lend him something," JungMin shrugged, leaning against the wall.  "Next time I think I'll just take the pet dog."

"Hopefully there won't be a next time," KyuJong said. "And you know, this could be good for you. Having someone else around to talk to... kind of."

"Talk... lots of talk," YoungSaeng grinned, stuffing more noodles into his mouth. "Yell too."

"That sounds about right," KyuJong chuckled.

"...Now I remember why I hate precogs." JungMin eyed KyuJong. "You better be here as a buffer or I might lock him in a closet."

"I'll be here as much as I can," KyuJong said with a laugh. "It'll be like old times, you and I together."

"Old.. new... same," YoungSaeng said, looking between them. "Different. Different when the spark meets the shadow and the fish. Or supposed to meet, might meet. Have to if I'm here."

"You are going to give me a headache," JungMin groaned, rubbing his temple. "Can you make heads or tails of what he's saying, Kyu?"

"Not really," KyuJong admitted. "The most I understood from him was he had to come to you. You know how it is for them though, they don't really understand what they're seeing most of the time."

"Fantastic." JungMin sighed loudly. "I'll try to keep him alive and not let him drive me crazy. You owe me more flowers for this."

"I know," KyuJong chuckled. "And I'm sorry, but I have to get to the shop, I'll be back later tonight okay? I'll bring some food."

"Okay," the younger man nodded, pushing away from the wall to head towards the door. "Don't get into any trouble out there."

"You mean more than I already have?" KyuJong snorted, following JungMin to the door. "I am sorry this happened, I didn't really plan on dragging you into anything. Try to stay calm, okay?"

"Just get back soon." JungMin pulled KyuJong into a tight hug before letting him go, unlocking the door.

"I will," KyuJong nodded, picking up his umbrella. "Huh... the rain finally stopped," he said when the door was opened and he'd stepped out onto the stoop. "Hopefully that's a good sign of things to come." Waving, he went down the stairs and started for the main street at the mouth of the alley, swinging his umbrella.

JungMin watched him go before closing and locking the door again. He took a moment to just lean against the wall and think about what he'd just got himself into, before turning around and heading back into the living room. "Okay. There's only one bed, but it's large enough for both of us. I have work to do, you can take a nap or whatever. Or shower." The man smelled like he hadn't seen a shower in a while.

Having finished his meal, YoungSaeng had curled up on the couch, knees drawn to his chest. "Shower, nap, then we talk," he said. "Questions need answers... able to give answers. Mind... clear."

"Good for you. Come on, I'll show you where the shower is," JungMin nodded towards the stairs. "And get you spare clothes. I'm sure you already know my name, but it's JungMin."

"I like your other name better," YoungSaeng said, getting to his feet. "It's not time for your real name now. That's not who you are."

"Yes it is," JungMin's eyes narrowed. "Park JungMin is who I am, no one else. Don't call me that other name again, understood?"

"Wrong," YoungSaeng shook his head, but started for the stairs. "I know where the shower is."

"Right, precog," JungMin grumbled, stalking up the stairs and going to find an extra change of clothes. It was going to be a long day.
 



KyuJong hadn't been exactly forthcoming when talking to JungMin. He knew where to find someone to help, but that didn't mean they were going to be happy to see him. In fact, he was pretty sure he'd get fried just for showing his face. Still, he had to take the chance.

When the elevator doors opened, Kyujong stepped out into the office, looking down a long row of cubicles. Somewhere in here was who he was looking for; it was just a matter of finding him. Luckly, he didn't have to look too hard because he could hear the angry curses from across the room.

"Would you get the hell away from me? I'm trying to work here!"

"But I'm not doing anything!" Another voice floated over the cubicles. "Just looking. See, hands are behind my back and everything."

A slightly older but baby-faced man was standing in one of the far cubicles, the expression of innocence if it weren't for the mischievous spark in his eyes. And while his hands were behind his back, he was definitely in someone's personal space.

"You're breathing down my neck, and you're being annoying," KyuHyun said, shifting uncomfortably in his chair. "Why don't you go play in traffic or something, leave us working people alone?"

"KyuHyun?" KyuJong cautiously came around the corner, confused as to what was going on.

"Oh what now," KyuHyun grumbled, turning to look past SungMin. He nearly did a double take. "KyuJong?"

Having to step back slightly so KyuHyun's chair didn't roll over his foot, SungMin blinked at the new arrival. He wasn't a worker here as far as he could tell.

"Friend of yours, Kyunnie?" And SungMin was the picture of innocence again, smiling brightly and holding out one hand.

"Go away, SungMin," KyuHyun grumbled, shoving SungMin's shoulder to get him to move. "What are you doing here Kyu?"

"I just wanted to talk... is this a bad time?" KyuJong said, frowning slightly at SungMin, not sure what to make of that.

"No, SungMin was just leaving," KyuHyun said, emphasizing his words.

"So mean to me, I was just being polite," SungMin sniffed, rubbing his shoulder.  "Unless... oh, he must be your boyfriend. I'll leave you two alone then," he winked, flouncing off towards an office at the very end of the hallway. "The last office on the left is unlocked if you want somewhere more private!"

"You would know!" KyuHyun called after him. "And he's not my boyfriend!"

"What was that?" KyuJong asked in bemusement, watching SungMin stalk off.

"Annoying little is what that was, but he's the boss' plaything so I can't kill him," KyuHyun muttered. "What are you doing here?"

"I just came to ask you a favor... something's happened and I need your help," KyuJong said, keeping his voice as low as possible. "Will you come to JungMin's house tonight after you get out of work?"

"... Why?" KyuHyun scowled at that, clearly looking uncomfortable at the request.

"I can't... I can't say anything right here, just please? It's important," KyuJong urged.

"Okay, fine," KyuHyun muttered, shrugging his shoulders. "Not like I really had anything else to do."

"Great, thanks," KyuJong smiled. "I'll see you tonight then," he said, nodding and turning to leave. It seemed like he wanted to say something else, stopping and looking at KyuHyun again but left without saying anything more. KyuHyun sighed and sat back down, clearly confused. It had been well over a year since he had seen KyuJong, so what did he want now?

 



When the doorbell rang through JungMin's house, the redhead didn't even bother checking who was outside before removing the chain and pulling the door wide open. "Kyu I change my mind, take him back before I —..."

He trailed off to realize that his visitor wasn't KyuJong as expected, but... "KyuHyun. What are you doing here?"

KyuHyun raised an eyebrow at JungMin's almost sentence. "Uh... KyuJong asked me to come by. Said it was important. He didn't tell you I was coming by?"

"...No. He didn't even tell me he still kept contact." JungMin rubbed his hand over his face. Noise behind him got his attention, and glancing over his shoulder he cursed. "Okay fine, get in, lock the door after you," he said as he turned around and stalked back into the house. "No! Off the table!"

"We're not really..." KyuHyun had started to say before JungMin disappeared from view into the house. Sighing in resignation he stepped in, doing as told and locking the door. "You get a dog or something? Who are you yelling at?" he asked, pulling off his shoes before following JungMin through to the living room. What he saw stopped him short, eyes wide as saucers.

YoungSaeng was hopping around on top of JungMin's dining table, out manuevering JungMin who was trying to get him down. "No, no, need to get it out of my head, out of my head! Need to write... ask for paper, no paper, need to write!"

"I'll get you your paper, just get down!" JungMin finally managed to snag YoungSaeng by the legs and pull him down, both of them landing in a heap on the floor.

"I wish it was just a dog," JungMin grumbled, trying to get out from where he was stuck underneath YoungSaeng without letting go of the crazy precog. "A little help here?"

"Help who? Him or you," KyuHyun snorted, crossing his arms. "What's in it for me?"

YoungSaeng seemed to notice that KyuHyun was there and stopped struggling. "The spark!" he pointed, turning his neck to look at JungMin with a grin. "The spark is here... told you, told you Sworn would return!"

"Oh, Sparky was who you were talking about." JungMin managed to get to his feet, hauling YoungSaeng up with him. "Good, you can babble to him for a bit. KyuHyun, watch over him while I get him some paper, and don't let him get near any walls, ceilings, or tables." He shoved YoungSaeng at KyuHyun before stalking off.

"Don't call me Sparky!" KyuHyun shot after JungMin, scowling a little as he turned his attention to YoungSaeng. "Who are you?"

YoungSaeng tilted his head, looking at KyuHyun with a frown. "It's okay... you'll find them soon."

"Find who?" KyuHyun blinked. "Min, who is this crazy person?"

"The Sworn... they're coming," YoungSaeng grinned. "They'll stop the darkness."

JungMin came back with sheets of paper and a pen. "Here, write to your heart's content," he put them down on the table. "Some crazy precog hobo KyuJong picked up. He's supposed to be here soon so he can explain whatever's going on, I'm just playing babysitter."

"A precog?" KyuHyun's expression tightened slightly as he watched YoungSaeng sit down at the table. "He just said... did you hear what he just said?"

"Shattered one doesn't believe, doesn't want to," YoungSaeng said, looking up at JungMin from where he was scribbling. "Juice?"

"What juice? I don't have juice, just water and soju," JungMin shook his head, sitting down in a free chair with a groan. "I heard what he said, he's been babbling about something or other ever since he woke up. I'm working to tune him out. And the next time you call me that, I'm tying you to the ceiling by your ankles," JungMin scolded, pointing at YoungSaeng.

That didn't seem to bother YoungSaeng at all, returning to his writing. "The fragile one brought juice," he said, looking up again and around. "Oh, that... hasn't happened yet."

"Is that even a known language?" KyuHyun was peeking over YoungSaeng's shoulder. "It looks like gibberish. What was that you said about the Sworn?" he asked, but there wasn't any response from YoungSaeng. "Oh now you go quiet?"

"Now you can share in my frustration," JungMin grumbled. "He won't take 'no' for an answer, no matter how many times I told him the Sworn are disbanded. Well, apart from you."

KyuHyun's jaw clenched at that but he didn't reply, just watching YoungSaeng write. "So why'd KyuJong drop him off here? You never were exactly the friendly type. I'm surprised you haven't really strung him up by now."

"Shattered one needs me, and I need him," YoungSaeng said, his large dark eyes looking up at JungMin. "I'll die without him."

"I have a name," JungMin scowled at YoungSaeng. "I'm just doing it as a favor to KyuJong, that's it. That and crazy hobo takes a fit whenever I suggest taking him somewhere else. He keeps saying something about a 'big danger', how many of those have we seen?"

"'We'?" KyuHyun snorted under his breath. "Too many to count, but if he's a precog then that means something right? But why would a precog get you two caught up, you're... retired."

"That's what we've been trying to tell him, you try turning this guy down." JungMin eyed KyuHyun. "Like I said, I'm just the babysitter, someone else can figure the rest out. Maybe that's why KyuJong told you to come over here."

KyuHyun didn't get a chance to respond, startled by a pen flying through the air and bouncing off of JungMin's chest. "No," YoungSaeng said firmly, standing up. "Not babysitter, not retired, no, no, no, no! Still ShatterWave, still need you!"

"For the last time, that isn't me!" JungMin snapped, standing as well. "I'm done with that and I'm not going back! And if you keep calling me that, KyuJong's favor or not, I'm kicking you back out onto the street! Look that up in your futures!"

"I have!" YoungSaeng retorted. "I see it, the darkness, the pain, the death, all of it. I see it. You can't, but you will. I see it."

"...Min? What's going on?" KyuHyun glanced over his shoulder to see KyuJong standing in the entranceway, a paper bag in his hand.

"Juice," YoungSaeng said firmly as he looked at JungMin, pointing at KyuJong.

JungMin glared at YoungSaeng, fingers twitching before he curled them into fists.  "KyuJong you have to take him back, I can't take much more of this, all day he's been after me and I'm this close to doing something I'll probably regret later," he snapped, turning away from YoungSaeng and pushing his hair back out of his face.

Lips pursed, KyuJong set the grocerey bag down on the table. "KyuHyun, watch him for a minute," he said, moving around to JungMin's side and touching his arm lightly. "Let's talk somewhere okay?" he said quietly.

"I thought you wanted to talk to me?" KyuHyun said, looking down at YoungSaeng who had sat back in the chair and was writing again.

"We'll be with you in a minute KyuHyun," KyuJong said.

Inhaling deeply, JungMin turned and went up the stairs towards the bedroom without waiting to see if KyuJong was following him. Once he judged he was far enough away from the two downstairs, he stopped and leaned against the wall.  "This is too much Kyu. I told you I want nothing to do with this, and he keeps going on and calling me that name, and now KyuHyun's here of all people."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know he was going to be such a handful," KyuJong said, leaning up against the other wall. "I asked KyuHyun to come here because I wanted him to talk to YoungSaeng and see if he can find out anything for me. Do you really want me to take him away from here?"

"If he keeps acting like this, yes," JungMin scowled. "I was trying Kyu, I really was. He doesn't seem to understand I don't want to talk about the Sworn, and don't appreciate being called 'the shattered one' or 'ShatterWave' when I have a perfectly good name."

"Okay, I'll talk to him once KyuHyun leaves okay?" KyuJong said. "If it seems like he won't listen then I'll take him home with me."

JungMin nodded after a moment. "Fine. Let's get this started." He pushed away from the wall to head back downstairs.

 

 


 

Hope everyone likes this chapter :) Please comment and subscribe!

I also am taking graphic requests now! Check it out in this blog post.