The Sworn

The Sworn

The rest of the afternoon went by far too quickly for YoungSaeng's liking. By the time the sun was hitting the tops of the buildings, everyone was back under the same roof and getting ready to go. The house was unusually quiet though with so many people in it, no one wanting to be too loud. YoungSaeng knew everyone was walking on pins and needles, anxious to go but fearful of what they would face. For some, it had been years since they had faced a powerful enemy, for others it would be the first time. For one in particular, it was a life-defining moment. 

Still curled up against JungMin, YoungSaeng watched him quietly for a moment before scooting away to get his feet on the floor. "I think it's time, JungMin," he said, padding over to a bare spot on the floor and looking over at him. "Time to be who you really are."

JungMin opened his eyes when YoungSaeng left the bed, sitting up slowly. "Who I am?" He murmured, watching YoungSaeng. "I already am that person, YoungSaeng." He pushed himself to sit at the edge of the bed.

"Right now, you're JungMin," YoungSaeng said, kneeling down. Tracing his fingers over the floorboards, he pried one of them up and set it to the side. Reaching inside, he found the box and pulled it out before standing again. "But you need to be someone else, need to be who you really are. Shatterwave," he said, holding out the box to him.

Expression unreadable, JungMin took the box from YoungSaeng, looking down at it. His fingers lightly brushed against the embossed markings in the top of the box. "Am I still that person, though?" JungMin asked, looking up at YoungSaeng. "Two years is a long time."

"You will always be that person," YoungSaeng said, smiling softly at him. "You've always known that, in your heart. Two years is a long time to keep yourself trapped in a self-made prison, but not long enough to completely forget."

Meeting YoungSaeng's eyes, JungMin looked down at the box again. He removed the lid after a moment, setting it aside. Inside the box was his old costume, exactly as it had been for two years, albeit a little dusty.

He picked up the long black bandana resting on top of the folded capelet, thumb running over the soft material. JungMin looked up at YoungSaeng again. "What if what happened before, happens again?"

"There are no certainties in life, JungMin," YoungSaeng said, kneeling down in front of him. "I know that better than anyone. We can't live in fear of something that may happen. You've shown me that not knowing what the future holds isn't a scary thing, but something to be embraced."

JungMin met his boyfriend's eyes for a long moment, seeing the emotions in YoungSaeng's face. Taking in a deep breath, he nodded. "Right…I'm not afraid." He placed the box to one side, taking YoungSaeng's hands as he stood to bring the older man to his feet. "I better not be the only weirdo in a costume."

"You won't," YoungSaeng assured him, leaning up to kiss him lightly. "The Sworn together for the first time, completely, in two years. Have to look the part."

"Look the part, huh," JungMin snorted, returning the kiss before pulling back. "I won't be needing this then." He pulled off his shirt and pants before dumping the box on the bed and shaking out the clothes that had been inside.

Five minutes later, JungMin turned and looked at himself in the mirror. Loose black pants with white stripes down the sides tucked into red boots, his capelet and sleeveless shirt made of the same black material that was resistant to minor burns. The red tattoo along one arm had faded with time, but was still there. Black, fingerless gloves with red ts and a long black bandana that fell to his elbows completed the old but familiar look. "I forgot how much I liked this outfit."

YoungSaeng looked him up and down with a small smile. "I always thought you would look better without the cape," he said. "But I think I'm partial to seeing your arms."

JungMin snorted at that. "You can see my arms anytime." He leaned in to kiss YoungSaeng softly, hands resting against the older man's hips before he leaned back. "Well, let's go see the others."

Nodding, YoungSaeng slid his hand into JungMin's as they left the bedroom and went back downstairs. Several pairs of eyes looked up at that, including KyuJong who slowly got to his feet.

"Well, that's something I haven't seen in a while," KyuJong said with a thoughtful once over. "You look like a hero again."

"I was half-expecting it not to fit." JungMin's lips quirked slightly. "Well? We ready to go?"

"…Where is my costume," ChangMin got up and bolted from the room into the basement.

"...I have to run home real quick," KyuJong said, looking at KiBum. "I'll be right back, don't you dare leave without me!" he said, already heading towards the door.

KiBum's lips quirked slightly. "Me too. I'll be back in a few." He disappeared into the shadows in the living room.

SungMin grinned, watching them disappear one by one. "If you go, bring back mine too," he murmured in KyuHyun's ear. "And don't forget the contacts."

"The contacts look stupid," KyuHyun grunted, nudging him a little. "If I go, you're coming with me."

"Why? You always complain about how slow I am, not being able to teleport through wires," SungMin sniffed.

KyuHyun facepalmed. "I can't bring your clothes back with me, so if I'm going to through the effort of going home and coming back the long way then you're going with me."

"Oh fine," SungMin grinned, hopping to his feet and not looking in the least disappointed. "Let's go before they leave without us." He pulled KyuHyun to the door.

"JungMin, we need to figure out what we're doing with him," HyunJoong said, pointing at JongWoon. "I don't like the idea of bringing him with us, but who's going to watch him if we leave him somewhere?"

"He'll stay here," YoungSaeng said. "He'll be fine."

JungMin eyed JongWoon, who was looking down at the floor as he had been the whole afternoon. HyunJoong brought up a valid point; he didn't want this man anywhere around YoungSaeng. "Can you make him stay sitting and not do anything while we're gone, or will that take too much energy?"

"No, JungMin," YoungSaeng frowned up at him. "He'll be fine, I'll be fine. He and I can talk."

The redhead looked at YoungSaeng, brow furrowed. "…I don't really like that idea. Are you sure nothing's going to happen, Saeng?" He didn't want to have to worry about YoungSaeng being in danger while they were out fighting HyungJoon.

"I wouldn't suggest if it I wasn't sure," YoungSaeng said, patting JungMin's arm. "He won't do anything."

"…Okay," JungMin sighed, pulling YoungSaeng into his arms. "You better be careful. And you," he added, seeing JongWoon had looked up at them, "If there's so much as a scratch on him when we get back, they'll have to send you to prison in a matchbox!" JongWoon shook his head quickly before looking back down.

"You be more careful," YoungSaeng murmured so only JungMin would hear. "I don't know what's going to happen, so promise me you'll come back."

"I'll come back," JungMin smiled softly. "We'll give you a call once we've wrapped things up."

Feet stomped back up the basement steps, and ChangMin appeared in costume. His mask covered only one eye, cape a little tattered still but otherwise functional. He was trying to adjust his belt and pull his gloves on at the same time. "Where'd everyone else go?" he blinked at seeing several key people missing.

"To get their costumes," YoungSaeng said when he'd pulled away from the hug. "Sworn always wear costumes."

"Oh, great," ChangMin grinned, going to sit down as he wrestled with his glove.

"What about you?" JungMin looked at HyunJoong beside him.

"What about me? I don't have a costume," HyunJoong said. "Threw it all out when I retired."

"Just asking," JungMin shrugged, pulling YoungSaeng to sit down in a chair while they waited.

KiBum was the second one to return, a few minutes after ChangMin had. He was also in full costume now, the wide-brimmed hat he wore to protect his eyes from the sun in his hands.

The other three weren't far behind, KyuJong arriving first followed by KyuHyun and SungMin. KyuJong had a trenchcoat on, and he didn't look happy. "I think I gained some weight," he said, shifting uncomfortably.

"Isn't spandex supposed to... expand?" KyuHyun snorted, brushing off the sleeves of his duster.

"Yes, but... never mind," KyuJong huffed, joining KiBum at the side. "Is everyone ready to go?"

"Ready," ChangMin grinned, standing up. JungMin stood as well, letting go of YoungSaeng.

"Be careful," RyeoWook told them all, hugging Zhou Mi tightly around the waist. Yixing bounced excitedly to one side, coat and shoes already on.

KyuJong led them out of the house to the waiting cars. Those going into the house in one car and those not, in HeeChul's car. The ride was quiet, KyuJong giving HyunJoong directions based on the map RyeoWook had given them. When they arrived in the neighborhood, HyunJoong parked on the side of the road a bit away from the house.

"Anyone else find it funny that a bunch of costumed heroes had to drive in a sedan to face the evil doer?" HeeChul remarked when the other car had parked and the others rejoined them.

"I'm too old for rooftops," KyuJong said, throwing his coat into the car and making sure his mask was secure. "Everyone knows the plan? We stay together, no heroics. KiBum, check for traps as we get close. Yixing... does he know we're here yet?" he looked to Zhou Mi to translate.

Yixing tilted his head to the side when the question was translated, brow furrowed. After a moment he shook his head. "No…soon, soon."

"Set yourself up somewhere safe and within range," JungMin looked at both Chinese men. "We might need to call you quickly."

"Stay safe," Zhou Mi said. "We'll be fine here."

"Anyone wants to back out, say so now," KyuJong said, glancing at everyone in turn. "Once we cross the property line, there's no going back."

"Who's backing out?" ChangMin grinned. "Not me."

JungMin looked between them before turning to KyuJong with a nod. "The Sworn's never backed down before, we're not starting now." KiBum nodded his agreement.

"Good," KyuJong nodded, glancing around before his eyes settled on HyunJoong. "If it were anyone else in there, I don't think you would even be here."

"... We're a team now," HyunJoong said, frowning at that. "I would do this if it was anyone else. The fact that it's DongHae in there just makes me more resolved."

"And pissed, judging by the vein on his forehead," KyuHyun said with a snort.

"Don't start," KyuJong sighed, looking into HyunJoong's eyes. "You're missing something... KyuHyun," he looked over at KyuHyun who raised an eyebrow. "You have an extra mask?"

"...Yes," KyuHyun nodded, reaching into one of his pockets and handing it over to KyuJong. KyuJong turned to HyunJoong and pressed the mask into his hand.

JungMin smirked lightly, looking at first the mask, then HyunJoong. "Guess you have a costume after all. Not as cool as ours, but still."

"I'm sure DongHae would be more than happy to help him with that," KiBum was smiling from under his hat.

"As long as he keeps it all black, Hyun likes black," SungMin chimed in.

"... I do not need a costume," HyunJoong muttered, securing the mask and wrinkling his nose a little. "Let's just get going, before I end up in a cape."

"If there's a problem, I'm sure you'll see an explosion," KyuJong said to Zhou Mi and the others staying behind.

"Good luck," Zhou Mi nodded.

"Give HyungJoon a kick in the ribs, just for Sunny," GyuRi said.

"Or bring him back so I can do it myself," Sunny said, forcing a smile for them.

"We'll see what we can do," JungMin smiled back at her before turning towards the house. ChangMin stepped up beside him, chin lifted.

The group headed towards the house, KiBum beside KyuJong with most of his attention going to the shadows he had scouting out ahead of them. The street was empty.

"It's like a ghost town," ChangMin murmured.

"There's so much negativity and hostility in this area... it's seeping up through the streets," KyuJong said. "I think HyungJoon was encouraging people to leave."

"So he can live alone in his castle," HyunJoong frowned. They could see the house up ahead, the only house on the street with lights on.

"Just so we're clear, we know this is a trap right?" KyuHyun said. "We'll be lucky to get to the front door."

"We know, and we'll be ready for whatever happens," JungMin murmured. KiBum nodded slowly in agreement, eyes narrowed at the house.

They had just about reached the gate of the house when KiBum jerked and turned around, his shadows picking up someone tailing them.

"What's wrong?" KyuJong asked, crouching next to the fence and glancing back the way they came.

Eyes narrowing slightly, KiBum sighed and turned around. "Someone doesn't take instructions very well."

"…Oh no you don't," JungMin's eyes narrowed when SungMin appeared out of the darkness behind them, joining them outside the house. "We said you weren't coming."

"I'm not part of the Sworn, so I don't have to listen to you," SungMin shrugged. "I'm helping."

"We need every advantage we can get in there," KyuHyun supplied, earning himself a cold glare from KyuJong. "What? You know I'm right."

"That's not the point, the point is every single person who goes into that building I need to know that I can trust them," KyuJong hissed. "I don't trust him, and don't think I won't trap him inside a time bubble and leave him out here!"

"You don't have that much energy to waste," KiBum murmured, glancing back at them.

"With me he does," ChangMin said from where he was crouching nearby.

SungMin's eyes narrowed. "I don't particularly care if you trust me or not; the only person who needs to trust me is KyuHyun. And considering I haven't spent the last two years playing with flowers, I might actually be suited to this."

KyuJong's expression darkened at that. "I wasn't the one killing people for money," he retorted. "I'm not the one who switched sides at a drop of a hat."

"Will you two shut up," HyunJoong hissed. "If SungMin had planned on doing anything to us he would have done it before we got here. The longer we argue about this the longer it's going to be until we rescue DongHae, so shut up and get in there."

"We're not going anywhere with him," JungMin snapped, pointing at SungMin. "Get back to the others, before we make you."

"Where KyuHyun goes, I go," SungMin retorted, not budging. "I switched sides because of him, and I don't trust you to keep him safe, KyuJong. So if you're done pointing fingers at me, maybe focus on the real threat?"

"Yes, keep KyuHyun safe at the expense of everyone else right?" KyuJong said, turning to KyuHyun. "If he's insisting on going because of you, then you're not going either."

"What?" KyuHyun sneered. "Figures, the one time we're all back together you want to exclude me, the one person who was actually working for the past two years."

"We need to go, while the area's clear," KiBum looked back at them, frowning.

"Yes, we do," SungMin's eyes narrowed before he tugged lightly on KyuHyun's sleeve, slipping around them in the darkness and easily jumping the fence into the front yard of the massive house. The assassin crouched down beside a bush, out of sight of the window.

"KyuHyun, I swear, if he so much as steps a way I don't like, I will kill him," KyuJong said, following them over the fence.

"What the hell is his problem," KyuHyun muttered.

HyunJoong's brow furrowed slightly and he looked at JungMin. "Something seem off to you?" he asked.

"Besides SungMin being here?" JungMin grumbled, too distracted to really listen to what HyunJoong was saying. But KiBum was looking back at them in confusion, attention diverted from his task of watching for danger.

"So much for that 'heroes don't kill' thing, huh," SungMin murmured to KyuHyun, very purposely letting the others hear him.

HyunJoong actually had to reach out to get in front of KyuJong. "Not the time, or the place," he said, looking into KyuJong's eyes. "Since when do you talk about killing people?"

"Since we let an assassin in," KyuJong said, shoving HyunJoong away. "I will make an exception for you SungMin, you've tried to kill two of my friends."

"Both of which are still alive, and one of which says he can be trusted," KyuHyun retorted. "If YoungSaeng says he's okay then he's okay, right JungMin?"

"YoungSaeng can't watch all his visions, all the time," JungMin's eyes were narrowed. "And he can't see anything to do with this place, which means SungMin could very well switch sides again, right now. He's already tricked you before."

"I didn't trick him," SungMin's voice had gone from mild annoyance to anger.

"Hey," KiBum tried to step in. "We can't do this right here, not on his doorstep."

"Well in that case, he can't see if HyunJoong isn't going to turn on us either!" KyuHyun said, glaring at HyunJoong. "You spent all that time with JongWoon, kind of surprised you'd do that after he helped DongHae get kidnapped."

"... Right," HyunJoong looked around at each of them. "Something is really not right here... KiBum, how are you feeling?"

"I'm not any happier about this than they are, but…" KiBum seemed conflicted, shaking his head and drawing his shadows around him. "We can't fight out here, it's too close. We'll be noticed, if we haven't been already." He tried to pull KyuJong back away from the others.

"Let go of me," KyuJong tried to push KiBum away. "Is everyone against me now?"

"No one is against anyone," HyunJoong said. "We can hash this out later, right now we need to focus, any second now HyungJoon could...." he trailed off, looking towards the house. "ChangMin, the list... was there some kind of psychological power? Like hypnotic suggestion or anything?"

ChangMin, still on the other side of the fence watching the others warily, looked at HyunJoong at that. He pulled out the list he'd held onto, looking at it. "There's…mental inducement's on here."

"KyuJong, stop, calm down," KiBum refused to be pushed away, holding onto the older man.

"Obviously HyungJoon is messing with our heads," HyunJoong said, trying to get into KyuJong's line of vision. "You wouldn't ever want to kill anyone, even if it is SungMin." His eyes narrowed, grasping KyuJong's head in his hands. "Stop, listen to me, only me," he said slowly, the words building on each other. KyuJong fought at first, but eventually his shoulders slumped and his body sagged slightly.

"What the hell!" KyuHyun's eyes widened. "See! I told you he was going to double—" he didn't get the rest of the sentence out, HyunJoong turning on him and repeating the same words. When it was clear KyuHyun was under his control, he SungMin next.

SungMin had already pulled out a knife when HyunJoong had turned to KyuHyun, but thankfully didn't get a chance to throw it. The knife dropped from his fingers to land blade-first in the earth as he was caught. JungMin was caught much the same way, shoulders slumping.

KiBum didn't even try to fight, instead getting ChangMin over the fence before turning back to HyunJoong. "I hope you know what you're doing," he said lowly.

"Not really, but it's working so far," HyunJoong replied, the corner of his lip twitching. Once the other two were subdued, HyunJoong had to take a deep breath for a moment, rubbing at his forehead. "Irony of ironies, Parasyntax saving the Sworn," he muttered before finally turning back to all of them. "Follow me," he said slowly, repeating the words as he took slow steps towards the door. If there was any more surprises waiting for them on the other side, then they were screwed.

When he had them all onto the covered porch, he spoke again. "Wake up and ignore the anger, the hostility, the mistrust. Wake up, and work together."

SungMin blinked once, twice, then exhaled slowly. "Wow…okay. I feel better now."

"What just happened?" JungMin murmured, looking around the porch before moving away from the door slightly.

"HyungJoon was manipulating our emotions, turning us against each other," KiBum said, looking at HyunJoong. "HyunJoong broke whatever he did. Are you okay?" he asked KyuJong.

KyuJong nodded, though his expression looked troubled. "Let's just keep moving," he said quietly, going to the door. "Min, blow this handle. We don't know what's on the other side. HyungJoon could have this rigged to electrocute whoever touches it or something."

"Got it," JungMin nodded, looking between the others. Once he saw they had recovered from being hypnotized and were ready, he turned to the door and held up one hand. A small bead of light formed on the tip of one finger. "You might want to step back."

He flicked the bead at the handle's base, and with a bang the handle flew off and landed in the grass a bit away, taking the lock with it. JungMin pulled the door open, KiBum's shadows moving into the room beyond ahead of them.

"Anything?" KyuJong asked in a whisper, trying to peer around the door jam. "KyuHyun, you think you can run a quick circuit around the building? Find DongHae?"

"Sure," KyuHyun nodded, looking up at the overhead porch light. Reaching up, a spark arched off the bulb and blew KyuHyun back off the porch. He landed in a thud, groaning slightly. "Ow..."

SungMin's eyes widened and he leapt off the porch, crouching beside KyuHyun. "Are you okay?" He helped KyuHyun sit up.

"What happened?" JungMin looked back at KyuHyun with wide eyes.

"Feedback loop," KyuHyun grumbled, shaking out his hand.

"Guess he definitely knows we're here," ChangMin murmured. "What happened to Yixing? Wasn't he supposed to distract him?"

"We have no idea at this point if Yixing is doing anything," KyuJong said. "For safety, don't touch anything. I'll go first. Follow in behind me." He eyed the half open door warily, nudging it slightly with his foot before stepping in, the hallway dark on the other side. He shuddered as he passed over the threshold, the temperature dropping at least ten degrees.

"Why is it so cold?" ChangMin murmured, following KyuJong inside and looking around warily. He couldn't see beyond his own nose. "And dark?"

"It's just a long hallway," KiBum relayed quietly, the only one who had no problems seeing in the pitch black. It was like the room away even the slightest trace of light. The hallway they were in was narrow, barely wide enough for two people side-by-side, and ended in a closed door.

SungMin stuck beside KyuHyun and helped him back up, making them the last two to cross the threshold into the house. The second they were in, the door slammed shut behind them with an echoing bang. "…Well crap." SungMin pushed at the door, but even with the handle blown out it wouldn't budge.

"I'll blow it up if we have to get out," JungMin murmured. "Can't see anything."

"KyuJong?" KiBum rested a hand on KyuJong's shoulder. "The hallway's clear, it's just a closed door at the end, but I can go first if you want."

"No, I'll go first," KyuJong said, touching KiBum's hand with his own. "Just make sure I don't run into a wall. There's only one door at the end of this hall? No side doors?"

"Odd for a traditional house," KyuHyun said, keeping a tight grip on SungMin.

"No side doors," KiBum shook his head, following behind KyuJong. The others followed closely, made uneasy by the unnatural chill in the room and the fact that they couldn't even see the person in front of them.

"The door's three feet in front of you," KiBum said once they'd reached the other end of the hall, then stumbled when JungMin bumped into him. The redhead mumbled an apology.

"Everyone, just stay back," KyuJong said, reaching forward with his hand until it met resistance. The wood of the door was unnaturally warm considering how cold it was inside, and after a moment of searching he found the handle and pushed the door open. The room on the other side was just as dark and just as cold. KyuJong frowned as he stepped in. Was this how it was going to be the whole way through? "I'd expected more of a fight than this."

"Don't jinx us yet," ChangMin said with a nervous laugh.

KiBum leaned into the room, looking around before stepping in. "The room's empty…there's another door on the other side." He stepped out of the way so the others could trail in.

As soon as the last people were in, the door slammed shut behind them, and the overhead light switched on. KyuJong blinked, covering his eyes to help with the momentary blindness.

"Well, that was nice of him," KyuHyun muttered, brushing past KyuJong to get to the door where HyunJoong was trying to get it open.

"It's locked..." HyunJoong frowned. "JungMin, you may need to help with this."

When KyuJong finally lowered his hand from his eyes he blinked a little and glanced around. He was alone in the room, the lights dimmed again. "...KiBum?" he called out. A second door he hadn't noticed before was slightly ajar, and he could hear voices on the other side. They would just leave him like that? Sighing, he went to take a step forward, the door slamming shut before he got there.

Then the screams started. He grasped the handle of the door, turning and turning without any luck. "JungMin!" he called, ramming his shoulder into the wood. It didn't budge. Something hit the other side of the door, the sound of a body sliding down to slump over onto the ground. KyuJong looked down, crying out at the sight of blood seeping through from the other side. "No!" he had to do something, had to save them somehow. They counted on him and now they were all dying on the other side of the door.

Looking around the room for something to break the door with, KyuJong's eyes were caught by the handle of the first door, the only one he'd seen when he'd come in. Unlike the handle of the door his friends were trapped behind, a dull bronze, the handle shown a bright silver. Light glinted off of the curves and the ornate scroll work.

Take short shallow breaths, KyuJong looked between the two doors. The screams seemed to intensify as he stepped closer to the door with the silver handle. They were calling for him, screaming his name as they beat on the other door. Steeling himself up, KyuJong closed his eyes and crossed the room, grasping the handle of the door and pushing it open.

"KyuJong!" A hand landed on KyuJong's shoulder and spun him around. KiBum looked at him with worried eyes, the others all crowded around their leader. "Snap out of it!"

"Are you okay, Kyu?" JungMin stood by KyuJong's elbow, expression just as confused and concerned.

"He opened the door," SungMin blinked at the door that was now ajar.

KyuJong almost shrieked when he was touched, looking between JungMin and KiBum with wide eyes. "You... you're all okay?" he said in a whisper, throwing himself into JungMin's arms and holding onto him tightly. "You... you were all in that other room and I heard screams and the blood... I thought you were all going to die but I couldn't get in."

"What?" JungMin wrapped his arms around KyuJong tightly, confused. "Kyu, there is no other room. You were screaming at the wall, we were trying to snap you out of it but it was like you couldn't even see us."

KyuJong pulled back a little in confusion, looking toward where he had seen the door. JungMin was right, there was no door, just a wall with tacky wallpaper. "How...? I don't understand."

"HyungJoon's messing with our minds," HyunJoong said. "It's going to affect some of you more than others. Anything in this house could be an illusion."

"Could be?" KyuHyun said. "And what if it's not? How are we supposed to tell the difference?"

"We can't, and that's the problem," SungMin's lips thinned. "At least you seem to be immune to most of these so far, Hyun."

"Are you okay to continue?" JungMin asked, looking down at KyuJong with tightened eyes.

"Yeah, I'm okay," KyuJong nodded, breathing in and out slowly. "That was... it's like he knew my worst fear and put it out there. Either help save my friends, or continue the mission."

"Keep that in mind, all of you," HyunJoong said. "He's in our heads, he knows what our fears are and will use them against us like he just did to Kyu. And I'm not completely immune, but I know what to look for."

"We know to be careful," KiBum nodded, watching KyuJong carefully.

"Let's keep going." JungMin kept beside KyuJong, one hand on his best friend's shoulder. "Someone else go first."tags: