Turn on the Lights

The Sworn

The silence in the room was broken by KyuHyun's cell phone going off, the noise filling the echoing space.

KyuHyun nearly swore, jumping in surprise at the sound. Answering quickly, he turned away from where HyunJoong was still asking JongWoon questions. "JungMin? Everything okay?"

"No, you're all in danger!" JungMin's voice came across loud and clear, the redhead shouting. "The darkness is attacking, YoungSaeng says it's happening right NOW!"


"What?" KyuHyun pulled the phone away slightly from his ear. "Attacking who? We're..." His eyes widened and he looked over at the others. The three who were going after HyungJoon, were they being attacked now? ". KiBum, HyunJoong, stay here, everyone else with me," he said, hanging up the phone and running out of the room.

ChangMin ran to keep up with KyuHyun, the others right behind them. RyeoWook zipped past them on the stairs, disappearing out the front door to take the other way around.

By the time they reached where Yixing's vision showed HyungJoon captive, the bird shifter was already there. "Hyung? Hyung?!" He shook KyuJong's shoulders, trying to revive the man sprawled out in the middle of the hallway.

KyuHyun staggered to a stop, quickly checking the small closet KyuJong was in front of. He saw a smaller form inside and moved in to see that it was GyuRi out cold. "Where's DongHae?" he asked, looking back at the others.

"Not here," HeeChul said, checking some of the adjoining rooms.

"He..." KyuJong murmured as his eyes fluttered open. He groaned quietly, touching his forehead. "He... attacked."

"Who? Who attacked, did you see who it was?" ChangMin asked, crouching down to check GyuRi and carefully lift her out of the closet.

"HyungJoon," KyuJong said, finally getting his eyes to stay open as he looked up at RyeoWook. "It... HyungJoon, attacked."

"Something attacked HyungJoon?" KyuHyun asked, not understanding.

"No... HyungJoon, attacked," KyuJong said, trying to sit up. "HyungJoon, he attacked us. DongHae, tried to... to protect."

RyeoWook helped KyuJong sit up, mind frozen. "But…that…that can't be right..."

"Why would he...JungMin said what on the phone?" ChangMin looked at KyuHyun, eyes wide. "What did he say was happening?" Han Geng was still checking the surrounding area with HeeChul for DongHae.

"JungMin said... JungMin said that YoungSaeng said the darkness was attacking," KyuHyun said, trying to understand. "HyungJoon... is the darkness? He's the one who.... oh my god..." That meant SungMin had been telling the truth, that HyungJoon wasn't who he said he was.

"Wait, Sunny's fiance, the idiot who has one useless ability is the one behind super heroes being killed?" HeeChul asked. "Is that what we're saying?"

"I... I don't know, we need to get back to the house," KyuHyun said, shaking his head to clear it. "Let's get HyunJoong and KiBum and whoever the hell that is up there and go back to headquarters."

"I'll go get them." RyeoWook waited for Han Geng to come support KyuJong before stepping back, taking bird form again and disappearing.

"But where's DongHae?" ChangMin asked, lifting GyuRi up onto his back when she failed to wake up as KyuJong had.

"I didn't see him anywhere," Han Geng replied, helping KyuJong to his feet.

"We'll have to assume he's somewhere else in the building or not here," KyuHyun said. "Get people to the car, I'll take a look around."

"Maybe we shouldn't be splitting up again," HeeChul said, support KyuJong's other side.

"Just get to the car!" KyuHyun snapped. "I'll be right down." He reached over to a nearby light switch and promptly disappeared.

By the time they'd moved KyuJong and GyuRi to the street, RyeoWook had returned with KiBum and HyunJoong. KiBum kept a careful eye on JongWoon, who had been hypnotized to walk with them without struggling. "What's going on?" RyeoWook looked between the others, eyes wide.

"KyuHyun's looking for DongHae," ChangMin said, adjusting his grip on GyuRi. "We need to get these three to the cars."

"What do you mean, looking for DongHae?" HyunJoong asked, his expression like a thunderhead. "Why isn't he here?"

"Hyun... HyungJoon attacked us, he might have taken DongHae," KyuJong said, letting HeeChul and HanGeng lead him towards the stairs. "We can talk in the car, need to get out of here."

"The hell I'm going anywhere without DongHae!" HyunJoong said. KyuHyun reappeared not far away, his expression not much better. 

"He's not here, let's go," KyuHyun said, pushing past them all to go downstairs.

"…So we walked into a trap, fantastic," ChangMin headed towards the cars with GyuRi on his back.

"I'm going to stay around and scout," RyeoWook caught up to KyuHyun to say. "I'll report back if I find anything. Get some answers out of that guy," he pointed at JongWoon. KiBum had turned away from them, pushing JongWoon to follow ChangMin.

"Be careful," KyuHyun said to RyeoWook, not wanting to leave him there but RyeoWook could take care of himself. 

Getting people into cars was pretty easy once they figured out who was driving back, HyunJoong sliding into the driver's seat. It was fortunate that DongHae had left the keys in the ignition, though HyunJoong wasn't happy about DongHae not being there with them. He didn't understand why DongHae of all them, and why HyungJoon. None of it made any sense.

KyuHyun took the passenger's seat, KiBum and KyuJong in the back seats as the others piled into HeeChul's car. GyuRi had finally roused enough to start crying, ChangMin doing his best to comfort her. Their captive, JongWoon, was pushed into a seat and buckled in. Luckily HyunJoong didn't need to be in immediate contact to keep up the hypnosis.

The ride back to JungMin's was quiet, KyuJong fighting off the nasty headache he had from whatever it is that HyungJoon had done to them. He glanced at KiBum beside him, taking the man's hand. "You okay?" he asked softly.

KiBum had been looking outside the window, shielding his eyes against the sun. He glanced at KyuJong beside him, expressionless. "I'm fine. Why?"

"...Because DongHae's missing, I got knocked out," KyuJong replied, his eyes tightening slightly. "I just thought you'd be... concerned? Upset? Something?"

"I don't see how that's going to help the situation any." KiBum pulled his hand out of KyuJong's, looking back out the window.

KyuJong didn't respond, but his eyes were worried as he watched KiBum. He knew KyuHyun was listening, glancing back at them out of the corner of his eye. KyuJong didn't want the others to worry about something else right at that second so he stayed quiet, returning to look out the window. Out of anything that could have happened, KiBum's best friend had been taken and his boyfriend had been attacked. Two things that should have had KiBum upset, especially since he had seemed worried before they had gone into the building, telling KyuJong to be careful.

Arriving at JungMin's house, KyuJong was the first one out of the car. He stumbled slightly on the steps, KyuHyun catching him and helping him the rest of the way up. No one bothered to knock as KyuHyun opened the front door and helped KyuJong in while the others filed in behind him.

JungMin was downstairs, eyes wide. "KyuJong? What happened?" He took KyuJong off KyuHyun, helping his best friend to the couch. "Is everyone okay?"

"Did you find him?" Sunny looked stuck somewhere between worried and hopeful, standing by the kitchen doorway as everyone slowly filed into the house. Her eyes widened when she saw GyuRi being supported by ChangMin, hurrying to help get her to the couch.

"Yeah, we found him," KyuHyun said, staying out of the way, arms crossed.

"Where is he?" Zhou Mi asked, looking from one person to another, thinking he had missed seeing HyungJoon somewhere.

"HyungJoon attacked KyuJong and GyuRi, and we think he took DongHae," KyuHyun said, looking to JungMin. "YoungSaeng was right, the darkness attacked."

"…What?" Sunny stopped, turning to look at KyuHyun.

"You're serious?" JungMin ran a hand over his face, trying to process that. "HyungJoon is the darkness?"

"That isn't very funny KyuHyun." Sunny's hands shook. "Where is he, tell me where he is!"

"Does it look like I'm ing joking right now SoonKyu?!" KyuHyun snapped, immediately backing off and beginning to pace. "Sorry."

"What would he want with DongHae?" Zhou Mi asked.

"No one knows," KiBum said, before pointing at JongWoon who was still hypnotized. "He might."

"We found him in the same building, he said he was helping HyungJoon," ChangMin said, glancing at Sunny sadly as she disappeared into the kitchen with her hands over her face.

"Then let's find out what he knows," JungMin's lips thinned as he looked to HyunJoong.

Nodding, HyunJoong sat down across from JongWoon, meeting his eyes as he began to speak again. "What does HyungJoon want with DongHae?"

JongWoon's brow furrowed slightly, eyes still glazed over with hypnosis. "DongHae…is the key to his plans. Once he absorbs his power of invincibility, no one will be able to stop him."

"...What?" KyuJong blinked. "Absorb his power? Someone can actually do that?"

"The super heroes that were disappearing, that must be what's happened to them," KyuHyun said. "Ask him where HyungJoon is taking him."

HyunJoong sighed a little at being told what to do, but relayed the question.

"I don't know," JongWoon replied slowly.

"Who is this guy, anyways?" JungMin raised an eyebrow. "You found him in the same place?"

"Yeah," KyuHyun nodded. "We thought he was the darkness or whatever."

"So if HyungJoon is the darkness, then who is he?" Zhou Mi asked. "Just a decoy?"

"He said he was helping HyungJoon, so obviously they know each other," HyunJoong said, rubbing at his eyes a little. He looked back up at JongWoon. "Why were you helping HyungJoon?"

The man's cheek twitched; he was still fighting the hypnosis, but unable to not answer HyunJoong's questions. "He's…my best friend," he replied finally.

"Best friend who left him there to get caught," ChangMin said drily. JongWoon seemed to hear that, brows furrowing slightly as he continued to answer the question.

"His power uses up too much energy, I'm his healer. I keep him alive. I am also his voice when he needs something done."

"The Voice," KyuHyun let out a dry laugh, shaking his head. "So, we were going against two people, not just one this whole time."

"I don't understand why they would be killing off some super heroes, and not others," Zhou Mi said.

"Probably because HyungJoon doesn't want any competition," KyuJong said. "If he can absorb other powers, take all the best ones, he would be unstoppable. Could deal with all the crime in the city single handedly."

"Or take over," HyunJoong said. "Someone with that much power would not use it for good, obviously."

"So how do we stop him?" KyuJong asked quietly, HyunJoong relaying the question to JongWoon.

"I don't know…I…" JongWoon flinched, recoiling a little. "You can't…don't kill him…"

"HyunJoong?" JungMin looked at the former villain. "Are you okay?"

"Getting tired," HyunJoong said, closing his eyes again. "My eyes are starting to hurt, I can't keep this up for much longer."

"Is he coming out of hypnosis?" KyuJong asked, watching JongWoon warily.

"No, but he's fighting," HyunJoong said. "I'm too tired to keep him under for much longer if you still want to ask him questions. The best we can do is make him answer us truthfully when he's out of hypnosis."

"Is that a guaranteed thing?" KyuHyun asked. "How would we know he's telling the truth?"

"We don't, but I can't keep this up," HyunJoong replied. Looking back into JongWoon's, his eyes narrowed again. "When you wake up, you will continue to tell us the truth. You will not try to run, you will not try to hurt us. You will help us. Wake up."

Inhaling slowly, JongWoon blinked rapidly as he came back to himself. When he saw the room he was in, and who else was there, his shoulders slumped. "…He really did leave me."

"No one cares," JungMin snapped, patience used up. "How do we stop him?"

JongWoon rubbed his forehead. "Once…once he absorbs the power of invincibility, no one will be able to stop him."

"How long does it take for him to absorb someone's power?" KyuJong asked.

"It varies," JongWoon replied slowly, looking up at them through dark bangs. He seemed to be cooperative for now, albeit grudging about it. "He has to keep absorbing the ability until the other person dies, or else the transfer won't work. It sometimes takes him up to four tries to finish, and since I'm not there to heal him if he overdoes it, he'll be taking it slow. I hope."

"But DongHae can't die," KyuJong said, eyebrows knit in worry. "Does it hurt, this power absorbing? Will DongHae suffer?"

JongWoon paused before nodding slowly.

"We don't know if he won't die from that," JungMin's brow furrowed in worry as he looked at KiBum. "KiBum, you've seen his ability the most."

"I've never seen if his invincibility works against intrusive powers like this one," KiBum replied. "Any injuries he's had have always been physical."

"We'll have to work under the assumption that he could very well die," KyuJong said. "But at least we have some time, because we're going to need it."

"You can't think of anywhere that HyungJoon would take him?" HyunJoong asked JongWoon again. "Anything you know, you have to tell us."

"I can't think of anything," JongWoon shook his head. "He stopped telling me things…I think he found out what I did, and planned to leave me as a decoy so he could get away with DongHae. I'm useless to him once he's invincible."

"What do you mean, what you did?" JungMin asked.

"I planned to have the precog he was after killed," JongWoon replied. "He was obsessed with the guy when he was first captured, so I set the precog free hoping HyungJoon would lose interest. But HyungJoon just became more obsessed with finding him again, so I added the precog to the list of people HyungJoon wanted killed."

KyuJong's eyes widened and he looked at JungMin, worried what his reaction would be to that. "How can we find him then?" HyunJoong was asking, his knuckles white as as he clutched the arms of the chair. "There must be a way we can find him."

"I'm sorry," JongWoon shook his head. "I don't know."

"Like hell you're sorry," JungMin hissed, striding forward to grab JongWoon by the front of his shirt. "It's thanks to you YoungSaeng was almost killed!"

"Who?" JongWoon's eyes went wide and he pushed at the hand holding his collar and restricting his breathing.

"The precog!"

"But…what? The precog is dead, he was killed."

"No, he wasn't," KyuHyun said, crossing his arms. "He's upstairs right now, still recovering from being shot, but he's very much alive."

"Min," KyuJong was on his feet, a hand to JungMin's shoulders. "Let him go," he said softly.

JungMin's jaw clenched and he let JongWoon go, shoving him back into the chair. The redhead went to stand at the other end of the room, hands clenched at his sides.

"But…HyungJoon was sure he was dead, and he was so pissed about it," JongWoon said slowly. "He would have never given up on the precog otherwise, he was too…useful."

"SungMin made it look like he killed him," KyuHyun said.

"What do you mean useful?" HyunJoong asked. "Was it because of YoungSaeng that he started doing this? Stealing other people's powers? Killing them?"

"Not exactly," JongWoon shook his head. "He didn't used to be like this…he was sweet, kind…but using his power twisted his mind. The first couple times he absorbed a power, it was by accident; he didn't mean to kill the other person. Then he just stopped caring about it, and started coming up with this grand scheme. The precog —YoungSaeng?— he was convinced YoungSaeng's visions could show him exactly how he could take over everything. One of those visions showed him DongHae, how he could become unstoppable."

"Maybe since it was YoungSaeng's visions that started all of this, YoungSaeng will be able to see how to end it," KyuHyun said. 

"YoungSaeng's still unconscious though isn't he?" KyuJong said, he'd followed JungMin to the other side of the room to help calm him down.

"He woke up screaming to say you were in danger, and then passed back out," JungMin shook his head. "I'm hoping that means he'll be up again soon, hopefully with less screaming. Yixing's keeping an eye on him upstairs."

"Okay, maybe we can try waking him up in a couple of hours then," KyuJong nodded.

"A couple of hours?" HyunJoong was on his feet. "DongHae's getting the life out of him as we speak, we can't wait a couple hours!"

"Unless you have an idea of where to look, you can sit down and shut up HyunJoong," KyuJong said, his expression hard. "We wait for YoungSaeng, and that's final."

"RyeoWook hasn't called in yet," ChangMin said quietly. "Most likely he can't find anything."

"What do we do with him?" JungMin pointed at JongWoon. "We don't have anywhere to put him."

"I'm a healer, it's not exactly a dangerous ability," JongWoon sighed, head down. "Are you done asking me questions?"

"For now," HyunJoong said, getting to his feet. "I'll take him home with me, I can keep him under control."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" KyuJong asked. "I'm sure we can make room here."

"No, he's coming with me," HyunJoong said. "If he has anything new to say I'll let you know."

"We'll call once YoungSaeng is awake, or if RyeoWook comes back with news," JungMin nodded.

"What do we do in the meantime?" ChangMin asked, arms folded across his chest.

KiBum glanced to the window. "It will be dark soon. I'll search on foot, it's better than nothing."

"Rest, eat," KyuJong said, watching HyunJoong lead JongWoon out of the building. "KiBum, can I talk to you privately?"

Looking towards KyuJong, KiBum nodded slightly and pushed away from the wall. "Where?"

"Upstairs," KyuJong said. "If that's okay Min?" he asked, even though he was already heading that way.

"Go ahead, the only one up there is Yixing and he can't understand you anyways." JungMin waved at them before heading into the kitchen to check on Sunny. KiBum turned to follow KyuJong up the stairs.

At the top of the stairs, KyuJong turned to KiBum with very worried eyes. "You told me not more than a day ago how you felt about me," he said softly. "Is that still true?"

"Is that why you called me up here?" KiBum asked. His expression was indifferent, and had hardly changed since they arrived back at JungMin's house. "I'd rather not waste the time I should be spending searching."

"… This is important," KyuJong said, reaching over to take KiBum's hand. "It's affecting your judgment on how to handle situations. Do you even care that I was hurt? That DongHae was taken? Does it bother you?"

"My judgment is fine," KiBum retorted, pulling out of the grip on his hand. "I don't have to be bothered by something to know what to do, it would just interfere with thinking clearly."

"I'm sure it does, that doesn't mean it's a good thing," KyuJong said. "You told me that nothing would change how you felt about me, but obviously that's changed now. You need help KiBum."

"I don't need any help. Maybe you should just mind your own business, KyuJong." KiBum turned away to leave.

"You made it my business when you confided in me," KyuJong said, taking KiBum by the arm to turn him back around. "When you told me that it bothered you what was happening to you. Do you not remember that? Do you not remember telling me that? Do you really think you haven't changed at all in the past few months?"

"I haven't," KiBum looked at KyuJong. The shadows in the hallway stretched, moving closer. "Let go."

"Then tell me that you still love me," KyuJong said, not letting up his hold. "Tell me and I'll let you go."

KiBum's reply was cold. "I don't remember ever loving you."

"Then why did you tell me you did?" KyuJong replied. "Either you lied to me, or you're not thinking as clearly as you say you are."

"I said let go." Bands of shadow wrapped around KyuJong's waist and arms, dragging him away from KiBum. A second later, the shadows wavered and dissolved as KiBum winced, one hand going to his head. Yixing stood in the doorway to the bedroom, hands out and eyes narrowed at KiBum.

KyuJong fell over with a thump, nearly tumbling right down the stairs. He looked up at KiBum with wide eyes. "You... attacked me?" he whispered, struggling to get up to his feet and stumbled his way down. "No, you haven't changed at all have you."

"KyuJong?" JungMin had head the commotion, coming to the bottom of the stairs in concern. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," KyuJong said, backing down the stairs slowly. "Zhou Mi! I need you!"

"Hm?" Zhou Mi peeked his head around the corner. "What's going on?"

"Ask Yixing what he's doing," KyuJong said, keeping his eyes on KiBum. "And if he can hold him like that."

"What?" JungMin looked from KyuJong to where he could see KiBum, getting out of Zhou Mi's way. He came up on KyuJong's other side when KyuJong reached the bottom of the stairs. "What's happening?" he frowned, resting a hand against his best friend's arm.

KyuJong took a deep breath, only just now realizing he was shaking. "KiBum... his ability has been clouding him for a while now. He can't feel things anymore, not emotionally. He doesn't even understand what's happening, how it's affecting him... so he just attacked me because I was trying to help." At the top of the stairs, Zhou Mi was eyeing KiBum carefully as he talked to Yixing.

"Wait, he attacked you?" JungMin scowled, pulling KyuJong closer and away from the stairs. "I'll kick his . What are we supposed to do about it? Is there anything we can do?" Yixing replied to Zhou Mi carefully, most of his attention on keeping KiBum in place.

"He doesn't know what he's doing," KyuJong shook his head. "I don't know what we can do, I need to talk to Yixing. If anyone can get through to him, it would be Yixing. What is he saying Mi?"

Yixing stopped talking after a moment so Zhou Mi could reply to KyuJong's question. "He's saying that KiBum's mind is clouded with shadows, like a…a parasite? He can't remove the shadows on his own because KiBum's ability is too aggressive." He stopped again when Yixing added something. "He seems to think you can help him."

"Me?" KyuJong blinked at that. "I'm only an empath, I don't have nearly the telepathic abilities to do anything."

"No, but he thinks you can do it with his help," Zhou Mi said, motioning to Yixing. "And the power booster, ChangMin."

"What's that about me?" ChangMin had come to join them; most of the others had gone back downstairs to talk about what had happened.

"Let's get up there," JungMin headed up the steps, motioning for ChangMin to follow and holding onto KyuJong's hand. Whatever Yixing had done to KiBum, the shadow manipulator was sitting down on the floor now with his head in his hands. Yixing was talking to Zhou Mi again, one hand making wide motions in the air.

"He wants you to boost both their powers," Zhou Mi translated to ChangMin. "KyuJong's empathy could reach him, and Yixing will make up for the rest." ChangMin blinked at him before looking at KyuJong for his input.

"There's no guarantee that will work," KyuJong said, though he looked hopeful. "Least we can do is try? He won't be hurt right?"

Zhou Mi conferred with Yixing quickly. "He doesn't think so, but he isn't entirely sure. I don't think anything like this has been tried before."

"You should probably stay back Min, you too Mi," KyuJong said, taking a deep breath as he crouched down in front of KiBum. "I'm only doing this because I care about you," he said softly.

KiBum opened one eye at KyuJong, but seemed too disorientated to say anything.

"Can't hear you," Yixing said cheerfully. "Making loud noise for his head." He sat down on the floor next to KyuJong, placing his hand lightly against KyuJong's shoulder.

"Good luck," ChangMin said, giving them the boosts. Yixing's eyes slipped closed, using his telepathy to link the three of them together.

KyuJong laughed a little awkwardly. "I don't even know what to do," he said, reaching forward hesitantly to touch his fingers to KiBum's temples. He closed his eyes in concentration, nearly recoiling in revulsion at the first push into KiBum's mind. It was so dark and cold, he didn't know how KiBum could stand it. It was no longer the murky haze he had seen before, but pitch black and nearly impossible to get through. 

Even with ChangMin's help it was slow going, and KyuJong wasn't even sure where to begin. He was an empath, feeling other peoples emotions. How did that translate in helping people actually feel? KyuJong did the only thing he could think of, letting the love he felt for KiBum rise up, pushing it out through his fingers. Hopefully with Yixing's guidance some of that would get through.

It wasn't clear what was KyuJong's doing and what was Yixing's, or even if Yixing was doing anything at all. But the emotions slowly leaving KyuJong burned at the thick darkness, forcing it to draw back slightly.

Needs more. Yixing spoke directly into KyuJong's mind, unhampered by language differences. Give him back what he's missing. Happiness, sadness, fear, joy, worry, hate, love.

KyuJong tried, he threw everything he could into the mix. The love he had for KiBum, the worry he had for his health, the fear he had felt all these weeks as KiBum's condition had worsened. Everything he had felt while being with KiBum, the joy, the happiness after their first kiss, the hopeful butterflies whenever they had touched. Everything right down to the moment when KiBum had told him he loved him as well, and how it couldn't have been a more perfect moment.

The overwhelming darkness felt like it was lifting, clearing at the edges of KyuJong's vision. How much more was needed? The fear kept him going, worried that if he stopped now he would never get KiBum back. He couldn't lose KiBum to this.

Warm hands lightly covered KyuJong's, KiBum beginning to reciprocate the older man's strong feelings. The darkness faded faster, KyuJong's hopes and fears drawing out the emotions that had been smothered. The strong love for KyuJong, the emotion KiBum had held onto until the very end. Following it, memories of his long friendship with DongHae. Worry for the many other people he had begun to call friends; anger at those who would turn the city inside out for their own selfish ends. Old hopes and ambitions, some of which buried for years.

Yixing finally drew KyuJong out of KiBum's mind, bringing his attention back to the physical world. KiBum's eyes were open, the black irises that had always seemed a touch too cold looking at KyuJong with a gentle warmth.

KyuJong was exhausted, his arms going slack and being held up by KiBum's hands over his own. He returned the smile. "Welcome back," he whispered, slumping forward to catch his breath.

KiBum didn't say anything back, just letting go of KyuJong's hands to wrap his arms loosely around the older man's waist, pulling him closer and letting KyuJong rest against him.

JungMin's lips quirked softly, watching them. "Maybe we should get you two to a bed…I think I need a second bedroom up here."

"There's enough attic space for it," KyuJong murmured sleepily, burying himself against KiBum and sighing. 

"Min?" KyuJong's eyes opened at the sound of someone calling JungMin.

"I think YoungSaeng's awake," Zhou Mi said, peering towards the half opened door behind them.

JungMin perked up. "Saeng?" Once he was sure KyuJong and KiBum were okay, albeit tired, he hurried into the bedroom.

Finally having the strength to keep his eyes open for more than twenty seconds, YoungSaeng had got himself into a sitting position. "I'm sorry," he whispered, looking up as JungMin came in. "I should have... I should have known he was here."

Still processing the fact that YoungSaeng was finally awake, JungMin blinked before shaking his head, going to sit down on the side of the bed. "No, it…it wasn't your fault. Are you okay? How do you feel?" he asked quietly, brushing YoungSaeng's hair out of his face.

"Trapped," YoungSaeng said, looking down. He was pale and drawn, taking in each breath slowly. "The visions, cloudy, stretched and snapped. The darkness, it's swallowing the fish, choking on the gold, skinning the wolf."

JungMin memorized that, lips moving slightly, before he cupped YoungSaeng's face with one hand. "Saeng, look at me," he said softly. "We'll figure this out together, okay? You're not trapped, you're here and you're safe."

"My head JungMin, trapped in my head," YoungSaeng said, leaning into the touch. "Backwards, forwards, all the same. It's so much, too much... Please, end this."

"Focus on me," JungMin whispered, scooting closer and leaning YoungSaeng against him. He pressed a kiss to YoungSaeng's forehead, knowing he had to ask YoungSaeng about DongHae and HyungJoon's location, but doubtful they'd get anything out of YoungSaeng in this state anyways. "Just take deep breaths, you're fine." He kissed the corner of YoungSaeng's mouth.

YoungSaeng was trembling, fingers curling into JungMin's shirt. "Don't breathe," he said, looking into JungMin's eyes. "Will burn you. Skip the third step."

"The third step…" JungMin had no idea what YoungSaeng was talking about, but he nodded. "Okay. I got it. Do you…do you see anything else?"

"Flying," YoungSaeng murmured, his eyes closing as he leaned against him. "Fish swim, birds fly. Hunter is hunted. Darkness, turns around, back and back."

JungMin's eyes became worried. "Maybe you should get some more sleep," he murmured, running his hand slowly along YoungSaeng's back. "You'll feel better with some rest."

"Slept so long, drifted," YoungSaeng said, looking up at JungMin. "Stay, need you. Need your warmth."

"I'll be your personal heater anytime." JungMin's lips quirked, and he settled them both more comfortably on the bed. "When you're feeling better, we'll go flying. How does that sound?"

"Before the roof caves in," YoungSaeng replied, burrowing into JungMin's chest. He peeked up at him, smiling a little. "Kidding."

"…You better be," JungMin grumbled, wrinkling his nose down at YoungSaeng. "Glad to see your sense of humor is back." He kissed the bridge of YoungSaeng's nose.

"Trying," YoungSaeng said, closing his eyes and settling back down. He was out in seconds, though his hands twitched slightly. It was a wonder he had even been able to make a joke considering how all over the place his head was, but JungMin always grounded him in reality.