Be Nice to Medusa

The Sworn


chapter ten                     
✧✦Be Nice to Medusa✦✧

 

It was an hour later when SungMin opened the door to the penthouse, stepping in. "Hey," he waved at HyunJoong, looking pleased as punch as he dropped his two bags to one side.  "What'cha up to?" He kicked off his shoes.

"Having a drink," HyunJoong replied, stretching out on the couch. "Where were you at? It's late."

"The usual, shopping, then I got hungry," SungMin dropped down beside him. "You ate?"

"Nope, had some wine," HyunJoong said. "Probably should have eaten, didn't think about it. Only one bag today?"

"Yeah. Should I make you something? Or order out." SungMin scooted closer to him.

"Order, and get plenty," HyunJoong said. "I'm very hungry tonight."

"Okay," SungMin grinned, leaning in to kiss him before hopping off the couch to get his phone out of his bag.

He wandered around the room while making the order, before spotting DongHae passed out in the bedroom. He trailed off slightly, finishing the order and closing his phone. "So, why's the new guy passed out on the bed?" He asked, wrapping his arms around HyunJoong from behind the couch.

"He drank too much," HyunJoong said, sipping at his beer. "And he told me his address was in Australia so I brought him here to sleep it off."

SungMin snickered, fingers playing with HyunJoong's collar. "At least he's an interesting drunk. You're not pissed off, so I guess he wasn't sick all over you."

"No, but I need to keep an eye on him," HyunJoong said, lifting an arm to wrap around SungMin's neck. "He hit his head pretty bad. When's food coming?"

"Twenty minutes. So...you'll probably want to behave while you're babysitting," SungMin chuckled.

"That so?" HyunJoong smirked, patting his lap. "I notice you said I have to behave, but nothing about you."

"I'm not the one watching over a drunk guy." SungMin rolled over the back of the couch to land beside HyunJoong, climbing onto his lap.

"No, but you'll distract me enough that I won't be checking on him as often as I should," HyunJoong said, leaning back against the couch.

"Well if you're gonna be that way the whole time," SungMin rolled back out of his lap.

"Yah, where are you going," HyunJoong snagged SungMin by the collar and pulled him back. "Did I say you could go anywhere?"

SungMin straightened, making himself comfortable in the other man's lap again. "You implied I wasn't welcome," he pouted, twining his fingers into HyunJoong's hair.

"I was stating the obvious, not that you were unwelcome," HyunJoong chuckled, tucking his fingers under SungMin's chin. "Understood?"

"Understood," SungMin grinned. "Need to make a last-minute check before I keep you occupied for the next twenty minutes?"

"Hmm... probably should," HyunJoong murmured, patting SungMin's thigh. "One quick check and I'll be back. Don't you go anywhere."

"Where would I go?" SungMin climbed off of him, amused.

"Don't know, wherever it is you disappear to sometimes," HyunJoong said, getting to his feet. Walking over to the bedroom, he slipped inside and closed the door behind him. It seemed like DongHae was asleep, but he wanted to make sure. Tip toeing over to the bed, he leaned down, trying to determine if he was still breathing or not.

DongHae's brow furrowed slightly, and he groaned before opening his eyes halfway. "...Hi?"

"Uh... hi," HyunJoong smiled, pulling back. "Was just checking to make sure you're still alive. How are you feeling?"

The younger man blinked up at him blearily. "...like I ate sandpaper." DongHae looked around the room slowly. "Where am I?"

"My bedroom to be specific," HyunJoong chuckled. "You told me your address was in Australia so I figured I should bring you back here to sleep it off. Go back to sleep, I'll wake you up in the morning okay?"

"I should go though," DongHae mumbled, eyes slowly opening and closing. "KiBum will be worried..."

"You want me to call him?" HyunJoong tilted his head to the side. "You look like you're going to pass right back out, it wouldn't even be worth it to drive you all the way home now. Just sleep."

"Mhmm..." DongHae fumbled to get his phone out of his pocket. He got it out, but couldn't open the phone. "You know...you're not that evil..."

"Depends on who you ask," HyunJoong chuckled, taking the phone from him. "I'll send your friend a text, KiBum you said?"

DongHae made a noise of confirmation, eyes closed again. He was out two seconds later.

Arranging the blankets around him, HyunJoong stood back up and headed towards the door. He sent a quick text to who he hoped was the right number before tossing the phone on a chair. "I think I used up our twenty minutes," he said when he'd shut the door and was walking back to the couch.

"Aw," SungMin pouted, stretched out along the couch with his legs off so HyunJoong had room. "I might not be in the mood after the food gets here."

"Impossible," HyunJoong snorted, hovering over SungMin as he lowered down onto the couch. "You're always in the mood. There's only one thing you like more than and that's shopping."

"And there's only one thing you like more than , and that's bossing people around." SungMin reached up and hooked his fingers around HyunJoong's collar, pulling him closer.

"Lucky for me I get to combine those when I'm with you," HyunJoong mused, leaning down to nip at SungMin's neck.

SungMin tilted his head back, one arm wrapping around HyunJoong's shoulder. "I still can't tell what you like more...when I actually listen, or when I improvise."

"Improvising gets you into trouble," HyunJoong hissed, biting down on SungMin's shoulder where it met his neck. "You like getting into trouble, don't you?"

The other man inhaled sharply at the bite, chuckling. "I live for trouble. And you like giving out the punishments, hm?" His hand lifted into HyunJoong's hair, gripping the strands tightly.

"I like to be obeyed," HyunJoong said, his hand sliding under SungMin's shirt. "You like to disobey me, and I really, really don't like that. What good is the punishment if you like it?"

"It's stress relief," SungMin chuckled, pulling HyunJoong's head back so he could kiss him hard.

HyunJoong was close to making sure SungMin was thoroughly punished, but the door chimed just as he was pulling up on SungMin's shirt. Groaning, he pulled away and frowned down at him. "After food, we'll work on your obedience."

"Looking forward to it," SungMin replied cheekily, twining his fingers together behind his head.

 

 

 

 

Sitting a few inches away from the television, YoungSaeng chewed slowly on the piece of candy he'd been nursing for the past half hour. He was trying to ignore the pacing and worried talk going on behind him. It didn't concern him, and even though he had tried to reassure KiBum that DongHae was fine, it didn't seem like he had taken it well.

"KyuHyun's here," YoungSaeng said, turning up the volume on the television just before the doorbell rang.

Glancing at YoungSaeng from where he was talking with an agitated KiBum, JungMin sighed and turned towards the door. "Finally, one of the missing turn up." He walked over to the door, unlocking it and pulling it open. "Where have you been?"

"In hell, let me in," KyuHyun said, pushing some of the bags into JungMin's arms. "Here, see if these fit YoungSaeng."

"Where did all this come from?" KyuJong came up behind JungMin, blinking at the bags.

Confused, JungMin took the bags off the other man. "You went shopping or something?" He looked at the store names on the bags and blinked repeatedly. "...Since when were you loaded?" He brought the bags inside and out of the way.

"I'm not," KyuHyun huffed. "I didn't buy them, don't ask because I really don't want to go into it... Where's DongHae?"

"That's what we would like to know," KyuJong said, helping KyuHyun with the rest of the bags. "KiBum got a text from someone saying that Donghae was with him and he was fine, but we don't know who."

"The talker," YoungSaeng said in an exasperated sigh. "These people, they don't listen."

"Who the hell is the talker?" KyuHyun made a face at YoungSaeng, setting the bags down on the table. "Yah, I've got clothes for you, hobo."

"Bought with bad money," YoungSaeng said, turning the volume on the tv up louder.

"Can you turn that down?" JungMin glanced at KiBum, who was trying DongHae's number again.

"Still not picking up," KiBum's eyes were narrowed, pulling the phone away from his ear.

"So was that charity or something?" JungMin picked at one of the bags, pulling out an outfit. "Woah. At least the style's good. Why are you giving these away?"

"Not charity, more like a bribe," KyuHyun muttered. "I don't want them, they're not my style."

"KyuHyun, when did you see DongHae last?" KyuJong asked, going over to the tv and turning it down. YoungSaeng frowned at him.

"Work, I... had to leave early," KyuHyun said. "I don't know where he went after that."

"Sure he's not just off chasing fireflies or something?" JungMin asked; DongHae's attention span left something to be desired.

KiBum didn't appear very amused. "Whatever your impression is of him, he wouldn't have wandered without a good reason." He paced along the room.

YoungSaeng stood up, tired of all this carrying on. Picking up one of the bags of clothes he dumped the contents on the floor and pointed at them. "Bought with the talker's money, bad money. The fish is with the talker."

"... What?" KyuJong was clearly confused and he looked at KyuHyun. "Who paid for these clothes?"

KyuHyun turned a shade pale, lips thinned. "DongHae's with HyunJoong."

JungMin's eyes widened. "...We're going to get him, right now. Why the hell would you leave him with HyunJoong, you told him who he is right?" He snapped, going to get his shoes.

KiBum scowled at his phone, glancing at them. "Do you even know where he lives?"

"Yes I told him who he was, I'm not stupid," KyuHyun said.

"JungMin, wait, let's not be hasty," KyuJong said, trying to calm him down.

"Not going to get him," YoungSaeng said, sitting back down. "Guards, locked doors. Fish will be fine, swimming soon."

JungMin scowled, turning towards KyuJong. "How do we know he's going to be okay? HyunJoong could be whispering lies into his ear right now, or scrambling his brain."

"Hey, it's not like I made him go with him or something," KyuHyun argued, getting to his feet. "I told him who HyunJoong was, if he left with him that's his own fault."

"KyuHyun, where did you go?" KyuJong asked. "Why did you leave DongHae alone there?"

"I didn't have a choice okay?" KyuHyun said.

YoungSaeng padded over to JungMin, touching his arm lightly. "The fish will be okay," he said. "Had to happen."

JungMin looked down at YoungSaeng before sighing loudly, running his hand over his face. "...Fine. KyuHyun, tomorrow you bring him right back here, no detours." KiBum sat down in a chair to one side, eyes shadowed.

"I will," KyuHyun said quietly. "And I'll talk to him about going anywhere with evil villains, again. I'm going home." With a small nod, he pushed past JungMin towards the door, grabbing his shoes and leaving.

"There's not much we can do tonight," KyuJong said once KyuHyun was gone. "It's late, everyone's tired. KiBum... I'll walk you home."

JungMin watched the younger man stand up and walk to the doorway without a word. "Be careful out there, we don't need any more people disappearing," he looked at KyuJong.

"We will, I'll see you tomorrow," KyuJong replied, squeezing JungMin's arm as he passed by to go to the door.

"JungMin," YoungSaeng said, looking up at him. "The talker will take care of the fish."

"I wouldn't trust HyunJoong to take care of a real goldfish, let alone that kid," JungMin grumbled, locking the door after everyone. "Why would that 'have to happen', what good could it possibly do?"

YoungSaeng frowned, conflicted on what to say. "Because... because, because, because. Reason unclear, just because. Happen because it needs to. Meeting you happen because it needs to. Okay?"

"You really need to work on those descriptions." JungMin walked back into the living room, eyeing the bags left on the table. "I guess you've got new clothes. Congratulations, you went from holey sweaters to clothes the price of my whole house." He picked through it.

"Don't want them," YoungSaeng said, taking a step back. "Burn them, cut them, throw them away."

"Why? They're perfectly good clothes," JungMin frowned at him, picking up a vest. "Looks like they might fit you too."

"Tainted, paid with blood," YoungSaeng shook his head. "The talker lies with the sheep and the sheep strays. Bad for the spark, bad for the oath takers."

JungMin frowned at YoungSaeng. "Unless you can stop talking in riddles and give a straight reason why you don't want to wear perfectly good clothes, I'm not tossing them. And you can start wearing stuff that isn't double your size." He straightened. "I'll deal with this tomorrow. Come on, it's late."

"... You're mean," YoungSaeng pouted. "Make me wear those clothes, don't even know... you'll know soon," he said, shaking a finger at him but heading towards the stairs. "I get the blankets tonight!"

"You had the blankets last night!" JungMin called after him, following him up the stairs. "And you're infuriating when you're in prediction-mode."

 

 

 

 

There was something about super heroes that very few civilians knew. Despite being on the same side, and doing what they could against the threat of evil villains, very few actually liked talking to each other. It wasn't that they disliked other heroes, in fact they often got along if they needed each other for something. But as a rule, they didn't interact unless they were on a team.

Getting a hold of one another wasn't difficult, they always kept tabs on each other and kept up a rather extensive network. If for any reason you needed to talk to someone, you just needed to make a call. That had been the point of KyuJong's call to Nova, though he did want to see her, because she had the next number on the list he needed to get in contact with.

That person being the leader of another group who KyuJong knew JungMin didn't get along with at all. It was a good thing that it was KiBum going with him to the meeting and not JungMin then.

"So you haven't met him before?" KyuJong asked as they walked down the sidewalk.

"No," KiBum shook his head. "DongHae and I have only met a few outlying groups, that's about it. None of them as active as the Sworn used to be. Have they been active as long as you have?" His cap was pulled low over his face again, though he was making an effort to keep it up enough that KyuJong could still see some portion of his expression.

"Longer, since we haven't been active for some time now," KyuJong said. "They showed up right around the same time we did, less noticeable than we were but I think they liked it better that way. I will have to warn you about the leader... he's... eccentric."

"Eccentric in what way," KiBum raised an eyebrow. "Like DongHae? Or YoungSaeng?"

"I wouldn't consider DongHae eccentric, he's just odd," KyuJong shook his head. "And YoungSaeng is in his own class... You'll just have to see what I mean. Whatever you do, don't stare."

KiBum blinked at him. "...Duly noted." He pulled his cap a little lower. "How much further?"

"Next block, he's trying to be all mysterious and meeting in an abandoned shop," KyuJong rolled his eyes. "Not that I don't know where he lives or anything."

The younger man chuckled. "Is he the only one meeting us? Or did he say if there will be others?"

"He was vague, as usual," KyuJong said. "I wouldn't be surprised if someone else shows up though."

Finally a block over they arrived at an old storefront, the windows boarded up and signs torn down. The whole place looked rather desolate. KiBum fell into step behind KyuJong, glancing around them as they approached the door.

Stepping up to the door, KyuJong knocked and waited until the door slowly creaked open to let them in. Glancing at KiBum behind him, KyuJong entered the building and moved out of the way for KiBum to come in.

The room inside was pitch black, not even a sliver of light coming in through the windows. "Okay, you can quit it with the theatrics," KyuJong said, feeling on the wall for a light switch.

"What theatrics?" A voice snorted from somewhere just in front of them. "I'm just keeping you both safe."

"KiBum, where's the switch," KyuJong grumbled, not able to see anything.

"Other wall," KiBum replied, having no problems seeing in the pitch-blackness of the room. Closing the door, he took KyuJong's arm to keep him from stumbling over anything and led him to the opposite wall. He reached out and flicked on one of the lights, not turning them all on to spare his eyes from the bright fluorescent lighting.

"Well that's just not fair," a man seated at a table said. Dressed in a black hoodie with the hood up over his head, and sunglasses on, the man pointed to the seats across from him. "Might as well sit down."

"It's not fair that I'd like to be able to see where I'm going and who I'm talking to?" KyuJong asked, walking towards the table and sitting down. "KiBum, meet HeeChul. HeeChul, KiBum."

"Oh, we're using real names?" HeeChul wrinkled his nose at that. "What's your other name then? You don't look familiar."

Raising one eyebrow at how the stranger was dressed, KiBum nodded his head slightly towards him. "Shade. And that would be because I'm new. Your other name would be..."

"Apophis," HeeChul replied casually, leaning back in his chair and picking at his nails. "Yes, yes, that Apophis."

"I forgot to mention his ego is the size of the moon," KyuJong muttered to KiBum.

KiBum chuckled at that, shaking his head. "I think I've heard that name...once."

Chirping suddenly echoed through the large, empty room. KiBum jumped back slightly in surprise when there was a flurry of feathers next to his head. A bright-yellow canary had flown down from the rafters to land on KyuJong's shoulder, nibbling lightly on his earlobe.

KyuJong chuckled softly, holding out a finger for the canary. "I thought you would be here. Nice to see you again."

"Yah, quit chirping already and get to where we can understand you," HeeChul grumbled, his lips pressed thinly at KiBum's words.

The canary hopped onto KyuJong's finger, fluffing out it's feathers and looking between KyuJong and KiBum with small, beady eyes. It chirped again before taking off, flying around them in tight circles and breaking away.

The bird's form lengthened, wings becoming arms and claws becoming feet. Landing on both feet, the young man turned around with a wide smile. "We missed you, KyuJong hyung." He pulled KyuJong into a hug.

"Missed you too RyeoWook," KyuJong said, returning the hug. "Still don't understand why you're still working with Mr. Stone Breath over there. Haven't found anyone nicer?"

"Who you calling Stone Breath?" HeeChul sniffed. "My breath doesn't even smell."

"He's a good leader, as long as no one triggers his temper," RyeoWook chuckled, stepping back. He turned to KiBum, bowing his head lightly. "My name's RyeoWook...I never really got a hero name, but the others used to call me Feathers. I don't know if it counts, but it was either that or Tweety Bird." KiBum chuckled at that.

RyeoWook turned back to KyuJong. "So what's going on, hyung? Everything's been okay?"

"... Well that's what we're here about," KyuJong said, sighing a little. "I'm sure you know of what's been happening... to heroes."

"We've heard," HeeChul nodded. "Not one of us fortunately but some of the Gamma team disappeared last week."

"No one's been able to figure out who's doing it," RyeoWook shook his head, hopping up onto the table and kicking his legs back and forth. "Or find anything in common between the victims other than they're all heros. It's like they're being picked off totally at random."

"We know something about that," KiBum murmured, looking to KyuJong. "Although it isn't much to go by."

"I met a precog. A real precog," KyuJong said when HeeChul snorted. "He knows something about what's happening, but his mind is so warped and confused that he has trouble keeping himself in the present."

"What does he say?" RyeoWook frowned, resting his elbows on his knees.

"That a darkness is coming," KiBum replied, taking his cap off and fixing his hair. "And that a wolf is aiding the darkness and killing off heroes. He's pretty adamant about the darkness being bad news for everyone, not just heroes."

"And you believe him?" HeeChul asked. "Why?"

"He's already said some things, about myself and JungMin that make me believe," KyuJong said. "And I can tell when people are lying. He doesn't know what he's saying half the time to even think up a lie."

"What are we supposed to do about this though?" RyeoWook looked between them. "A 'darkness' isn't much to go by, nor is a wolf. I keep tabs on all the shifters in Seoul, and a wolf shifter isn't one of them, which leaves me with no ideas on who our killer could be."

"Me either, and he doesn't like to talk about it that much," KyuJong said. "There are other things he'd rather talk about much to JungMin's dismay."

"This is nice and all, but if we don't have anything to go on, what's the point?" HeeChul said. "What can we do other than what we've been doing? Staying together, not going out at night. Which kind of makes the whole being a super hero thing pointless. No criminal's going to go out during the day if they catch on."

"Supervillains are going to figure out what's going on soon, too," RyeoWook pointed out. "Heroes are being killed or disappearing, those of us left are scared to go anywhere alone...the crime rate's going to skyrocket, and we can't do anything about it with someone picking us off one by one."

"It's not just super heroes," KyuJong shook his head. "Anyone with any kind of super power is being targeted... at least that's what YoungSaeng says. No one is safe."

"We sure it's not just one of the normal old villains?" HeeChul asked. "It doesn't have Parasyntax's flair, but it could be possible?"

KiBum frowned. "That would depend on if Parasyntax is capable of killing someone with a playing card to the throat or not."

"That was how one of them died?" RyeoWook shuddered. "But HeeChul's right...we can't avoid questioning those villains we already know. At least it'll give us something to do about this...otherwise we're just chasing ghosts."

"We've got two eyes on Parasyntax, but far as they can tell he isn't doing anything," KyuJong said. "We're a little out of the game to know who's still left. That's why I wanted to set up this meeting. To make you aware, and to spread as much information as we can."

"We'll keep our eyes open," HeeChul nodded. "If we find out anything, we'll let you know."

"So no one in your team is still active?" RyeoWook tilted his head. "I thought someone was, you've been in the news sometimes."

"KyuHyun has been active," KiBum confirmed, not saying it had been him and DongHae in the news lately.

"He hasn't been keeping in touch," RyeoWook's lips pursed slightly.

"It's KyuHyun, I wouldn't have expected him to be," KyuJong said. "He barely tolerated us, let alone anyone else."

"Well we need to start keeping in better contact, with what's going on," RyeoWook sighed, hopping off the table. "You're staying in the same place as before? Haven't moved?"

"I'm not in the same place, but JungMin is," KyuJong said. "If you need anything, he's home all the time."

"I heard he's not leaving the house much these days," HeeChul said. "That bad?"

"He needed a break," KyuJong frowned, getting up to his feet. "We've all been there, don't think of him like that."

"We'll get back to you if we find anything, hyung," RyeoWook said, frowning. "Stay safe, we don't need anything happening to you too."

"You too," KyuJong said with a small smile. "And HeeChul, next time I ask for a meeting, lose the theatrics. I'm too old and tired to be dealing with that nonsense."

"But it's part of my charm," HeeChul grinned. KyuJong gave RyeoWook a wry smile before turning and heading to the door, making sure KiBum was with him.

KiBum put his cap back on as they left the abandoned shop, lips quirked slightly. "You aren't that old," he murmured as they walked back to the sidewalk.

"No, I'm younger than HeeChul in fact," KyuJong chuckled. "But if you give him an inch, he'll run you over and then back up over you. I just want to discourage him from doing anything like that in the future."

"If he wants to keep the lights off in the future, I'm not going to stop him," KiBum chuckled, hands in his pockets. "I remember there were more than just two in that group...all retired?"

"Yes, as far as I know," KyuJong nodded. "I know they keep tabs on the others though, RyeoWook is very close to one of them."

"Do you think they'll be able to find out anything on the killer, honestly?" KiBum asked, frowning.

"Honestly? No," KyuJong shook his head sadly. "Unless he attacks us and we capture him, there's only one source we're going to find out more from. Unfortunately, he doesn't make sense most of the time."

 

 


 

Wow, hi all the new subscribers! :D There's a lot more of you than I remembered seeing being leaving on vacation. Thank you to -byun-baekhyun- for voting up the story!

Please subscribe, comment and/or upvote if you enjoyed the story! It really means a lot :D

 

@forest_pixi: LOL KyuMin are not mature by any means of the word here...'playground crush' is a very good way to put it, for Minnie anyways XD Kyu just hates him.

@Forever5501: Again? XDDD

@katie_mae01: But it wouldn't be as fun that way~~~ ;D