Divided

The Sworn


chapter thirteen    
✧✦Divided✦✧

 

The group met up at JungMin's house the following morning before work, as was becoming routine. This time DongHae showed up too, KiBum making sure he didn't take off to work without KyuHyun again.

JungMin opened the door for them, nodding and stepping aside. "That's just about everyone. We're still missing Sparky."

DongHae hummed nervously in acknowledgement, stepping into the house behind KiBum. He gave YoungSaeng a wide smile, waving.

YoungSaeng returned the wave, smiling sadly at him. "He doesn't mean it."

"Who doesn't mean what?" KyuJong asked, popping his head out of the kitchen. "You two want some breakfast?" he asked KiBum and DongHae.

"Sure," KiBum lifted his cap to smile at KyuJong, nudging DongHae at the same time. "Come on, let's eat."

"Okay," DongHae nodded, looking away from YoungSaeng to follow KiBum into the kitchen. "It smells good!" JungMin watched them go before looking at YoungSaeng with a small frown.

"What?" YoungSaeng looked at JungMin with an innocent smile before motioning toward the door. "Don't break his fingers."

About to close the door, JungMin stopped and looked towards it, seeing KyuHyun just about there. "Oh, hey." He kept the door open, stepping out of the way. "Busy last night?"

"Yeah," KyuHyun grumbled, slipping inside and pulling off his shoes. "Stupid HyunJoong..."

"Keeping secrets from the talker," YoungSaeng said, crossing his arms. "The black sweater, that would look best."

"..." KyuHyun looked at JungMin with a raised brow. "Is he talking to me or you?"

"I'm not entirely sure, if you see a black sweater at some point, then he's talking about you," JungMin rolled his eyes, closing the door after KyuHyun. "Come on, you missed some exciting stuff last night." He headed into the living room.

"I think I had enough excitement last night," KyuHyun said, following after him. "So what'd I miss?"

JungMin looked back at him, arms folded over his chest. "Someone let the cat out of the bag to HyunJoong. He came by last night looking for answers on some of YoungSaeng's predictions."

Eyes widening, KyuHyun turned and headed into the kitchen where he'd seen DongHae. "What the hell is the matter with you!" he shouted, pointing at DongHae. "You really that stupid or something? Why the hell would you do that!"

Talking with KyuJong and KiBum, DongHae's eyes widened and he sat back. "What?"

"He's talking about HyunJoong, and cool it KyuHyun, we already spoke with him," JungMin said, following KyuHyun.

"I told him because I thought it was important that he know SungMin is going to be in danger!" DongHae said loudly.

"... Huh?" The anger left KyuHyun's expression and he looked around. "What do you mean? Why is SungMin in danger?"

"We think, because he knows you," KyuJong said. "Whoever it is that YoungSaeng says is hurting people, is going to go after SungMin."

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" KyuHyun asked, his hand dropping to his side. "... DongHae, when did you tell HyunJoong about that?"

DongHae's shoulders were hunched defensively, and it took a nudge from KiBum before he replied. "Yesterday morning."

"We didn't tell you because this all just happened last night," JungMin said from behind KyuHyun. "No one else had put together that the 'sheep' close to the talker was actually SungMin."

"But how is SungMin a sheep?" KyuHyun shook his head as he took a seat at the table. "Well this makes a little more sense now. HyunJoong is paying me to spend time with SungMin. Probably to protect him."

"So that's where you were yesterday?" JungMin raised an eyebrow. "What, can't he just spend time with and protect his own boyfriend?"

"He asked me to spend time with him when HyunJoong couldn't," KyuHyun said. "SungMin likes to go out and HyunJoong has never taken him out once since they've been together. I don't know why and I don't care why. I don't know, it seems like they're only together for when HyunJoong's and doesn't want to pay a hooker for it."

"That's a little crass," KyuJong frowned. "He seemed genuinely concerned about SungMin yesterday. He was upset when he heard what YoungSaeng had to say."

"I wouldn't look too much into it, if he's still paid someone to take care of his boyfriend for him," JungMin wrinkled his nose, leaning back against the wall. "Oh...that's another thing. Apparently HyunJoong has to help us with this 'darkness' problem."

"... Why?" KyuHyun's shoulders slumped. "So he can take all the credit for it? Or will this be another way for him to make money off others misfortune." A pen flew through the air, hitting KyuHyun in the back of the head. Yelping, he turned to see YoungSaeng in the doorway, glaring at him. "Tell him to stop throwing things at me!" KyuHyun said, rubbing at the back of his head.

"The talker cares, more than you do," YoungSaeng said, reaching for a knife that was lying on the counter. "You're the selfish one!"

"Yah!" JungMin got there first, knocking the knife away and onto the floor the same time a chair was knocked over with a bang. He grabbed YoungSaeng by the wrists, pulling him away from the counter. "What the hell was that! You trying to kill someone?!" He glanced back at the others, seeing DongHae had been the one to knock the chair over, standing in front of KyuHyun the same way he'd guarded HyunJoong.

YoungSaeng looked up at JungMin, his hands shaking. "Traitor.. traitor needs to be marked," he whispered.

"That's like the third time he's tried to kill me!" KyuHyun said, looking around DongHae with wide eyes. "I'll be damned if I come around here anymore, you hear me?! He's ing crazy!"

"I'm sorry..." YoungSaeng whimpered, trying to pull his hands out of JungMin's grip.

JungMin didn't let go of YoungSaeng, jaw clenched. "KyuHyun, go to work. Go with him DongHae." DongHae nodded quickly, reaching back to take KyuHyun's sleeve and pull him along, keeping himself between YoungSaeng and the other man.

"Should put him back where you found him KyuJong," KyuHyun said, glaring at YoungSaeng as they passed. KyuJong followed to see them to the door.

YoungSaeng was still trying to free his hands, making small sounds of discomfort. "Pain... ow.... JungMin..."

Seeing KiBum get up to pick the knife from the floor, JungMin didn't let go of YoungSaeng until the sharp blade was well out of reach. "Go." He pointed back to the living room, expression like thunder. "Go sit down where we can see you, and don't touch anything."

YoungSaeng looked towards the couch and then back up at JungMin, his expression unreadable as he left the kitchen. By then, KyuJong was coming back, he watched YoungSaeng shuffle over to a corner of the room and sit down, curling up with his knees drawn.

"Do you need us to stay?" KyuJong asked JungMin, standing in the doorway.

"I don't know," JungMin said, arms folded across his chest. "What am I supposed to do, KyuJong? He was going to spear KyuHyun with a knife."

"Besides making sure anything that can be used as a weapon gets locked up? I don't know," KyuJong said. "Something about KyuHyun sets him off, and I don't understand why. Talk to him, find out what's going on."

JungMin's lips thinned, watching KiBum join KyuJong at the door. "Fine. If you come back and I've been skewered, you know who did it." He stalked back into the kitchen to make sure all the cutlery was locked up.

"I'll close the shop early," KyuJong said, frowning slightly. "If you need anything today Min, just call."

"I will," JungMin called out, drawers and cupboards banging in the kitchen.

"Let's go," KyuJong murmured to KiBum, looking out into the living room. YoungSaeng wasn't in the corner of the room anymore, and was likely hiding somewhere else in the house. Hopefully they could get through to him soon, so there weren't more incidents like this. Taking KiBum's arm, he led them towards the door to leave.

JungMin listened to them go, scowling as he worked. He had a limited number of locks, so he made sure all cutlery was together before locking that drawer shut, doing the dishes at the same time. He went around the house straightening things, picking up the chair DongHae had knocked over, and making sure anything potentially dangerous was put away where it could be locked.

It was a few hours, a bit before noon before he was calm enough to try talking to YoungSaeng about what had happened. He had seen the shadow of the precog inside one of the upstairs closets, but had left him there since there was just clothes in there and nothing sharp. And with the mood he had been in, he would have just yelled.

Sighing loudly, JungMin trudged up the stairs and into the bedroom before stopping outside the closet. "Yah. You going to stay in there all day?"

"Can't hurt people here," YoungSaeng replied, the sound muffled by the door. "You want to lock me up too."

"I want you to stop trying to throw knives at people," JungMin retorted, arms folded across his chest. "Or throwing anything, for that matter. You understand what's wrong with that, yes?"

"Didn't... know it was a knife," YoungSaeng said quietly. "I'm sorry... do you hate me?"

"I'm not sure what to do with you at the moment," JungMin replied. "Anyone else would have gotten their nose broken for trying to put a hole through my friend. Would you have realized it's a knife before or after you threw it?"

YoungSaeng was quiet for a moment before the closet door slid open. "I don't know," he replied, looking up at JungMin. "I'm scared JungMin.. I think I'm better and then something happens and... I didn't know what I was doing."

"Do you even remember whatever it was that set you off?" JungMin asked, looking down at him.

"The spark.. KyuHyun," YoungSaeng said, frowning. "He said something... and I saw... a moment... of him with the wolf."

"KyuHyun with the wolf?" JungMin raised an eyebrow, stepping back a couple paces to sit down on the edge of the bed. "That's ridiculous. KyuHyun hates even the wishy-washy villains, there's no way he would side with a hero-killer."

"There... are so many different paths to that event that I don't know if he knows or not," YoungSaeng said, peeking out at JungMin. "I try to tell him, but he doesn't listen."

"Maybe because you resort to punching him and throwing things at him?" JungMin retorted. "You can't keep on doing this Saeng, because as much as I want to help you, if you hurt my friends I'm going to put you in a straightjacket."

"I don't want to do this anymore," YoungSaeng said, curling up out of the way of the door. "Because I'll lose you... and ruin this whole thing. I need help."

"You do, and I'm not sure I'll be able to give it to you," JungMin's lips thinned as he thought. "We're going to have to find someone who can."

"Hope is a thing with feathers..." YoungSaeng murmured. "The bird may know."

"RyeoWook..." JungMin nodded. "Okay, I'll talk to him." He would have to get HeeChul's number from KyuJong first, and then from HeeChul on to RyeoWook. The web network they had was annoying at times, but it kept them safe. "Get out of the closet." He fished out his cell phone, dialing KyuJong's number.

"I haven't been in the closet in years," YoungSaeng chuckled, sliding out and leaning up against the wall. "Feels safe... comfortable. Size of my prison."

JungMin's eyes narrowed at that, looking up at YoungSaeng. "You're not in a prison anymore. And you won't ever be again." He held the phone up to his ear.

YoungSaeng tapped at his forehead. "In prison, in here," he said, eyes sad.

The annoyed look on JungMin's face faded slightly and he sighed. "We're going to fix that. Just...stay away from cutlery in the meantime."

"No more knives," YoungSaeng nodded, getting up to his feet as he padded over to the window and opened it. "Just flying."

"Stay away from the edge until I get there," JungMin called after him, frowning. KyuJong picked up the other end of the call by then, the redhead's attention diverted. "KyuJong? I need HeeChul's number."

"What for?" KyuJong asked, confusion in his tone.

"I need to get a hold of RyeoWook," JungMin answered, keeping an eye on YoungSaeng. "We need to find someone with strong telepathic powers who can help YoungSaeng, and RyeoWook's a good place to start."

"Alright, I'll send you a text then," KyuJong replied. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," JungMin said. "You'll be back earlier today, right?"

"Yes, but if you need me just let me know."

"I will," JungMin nodded, hanging up. He held onto the phone, waiting for KyuJong's text as he went to the window. "Yah, you behaving out there?"

"No, I'm flying~" YoungSaeng called from somewhere beyond the view of the window.

"...Where are you?" JungMin blinked, climbing out of the window onto the roof. Looking around, he spotted YoungSaeng up on the highest peak of the roof. "You're going to fall up there," he called, stuffing his phone in his pocket so he could follow YoungSaeng.

"I would only fall if KyuJong had told you HeeChul's number instead of texting you," YoungSaeng said, arms flung out wide as he took in a deep breath. "That's him now," he said when JungMin's phone chimed.

"...I don't get how you put a phone number together with falling off a roof," JungMin grumbled, pulling his phone out to look at the number.

"Events are always connected," YoungSaeng said, rolling his eyes. "I speak and you don't listen. Dominoes fall, one after another. This leads to that. Okay?"

"I get that, but you're saying the weirdest things are connected," JungMin shook his head, pushing the phone back into his pocket. "I'll call HeeChul in a bit." He climbed up the roof to join YoungSaeng on the peak.

"Not that weird, not from where I see it," YoungSaeng said, looking back at him with a wide smile. "No knives up here... not going to hurt me right?"

"Hurt you?" JungMin frowned, before seeing the forming bruises around YoungSaeng's wrists. "Oh...I'm sorry about that."

Turning around, YoungSaeng took JungMin's hands in his own. "Bruises fade, scars fade... I won't hurt anyone ever again."

Looking down at their hands, JungMin's lips quirked. "Neither of us will," he murmured, squeezing YoungSaeng's hands lightly.

Nodding, YoungSaeng took a step closer so he could look up into JungMin's eyes. "Do you believe yet, that it had to happen?"

Blinking, JungMin's gaze lowered. "Whether it had to happen or not, doesn't mean I can forgive myself for it."

"You will, you have to," YoungSaeng said softly. "You tell me to live here, in the present, not in the future... I want you to live here too, not in the past."

"He was one of my closest friends, Saeng," JungMin said quietly. "Almost as close as KyuJong. 'Fate' or not, I still killed him."

"JungMin," YoungSaeng said, taking JungMin's cheek in his hand. "You can't punish yourself forever. It's time to forgive yourself."

JungMin didn't say anything to that, just pulled YoungSaeng close. He buried his nose against the older man's shoulder, exhaling shakily.

Quiet as well, YoungSaeng closed his eyes as his arms went around JungMin's neck. He wasn't the only one who needed help.

 

 

 

 

It was a couple hours into work when DongHae decided he needed a break to stretch his legs. He wasn't used to sitting still in a cramped office cubicle for long periods of time, preferring a moving environment. He didn't bother looking towards KyuHyun: the whole way to work had been quiet, and though he'd readily jumped in front of KyuHyun to keep any thrown knives away, he was still upset at the younger man. Headphones around his neck, he locked his computer and wandered towards the elevator, wanting some fresh air.

When he came back ten minutes later, he was feeling better. He was also carrying two cups of coffee. Placing one down on his desk, he headed towards the back offices.

"Is he busy?" he asked SeoHyun.

"He's not in a meeting right now," SeoHyun said, and that was good enough for DongHae apparently because he stepped around the desk to knock on the door.

"Come in," HyunJoong replied, glancing up at the door when it opened. "Well, this is a surprise."

"Hi," DongHae smiled, stepping into the room. He closed the door behind him. "I thought since you're busy, you might want some coffee? I wasn't sure how you take it though." He walked to the desk.

"I take coffee any way I can get it," HyunJoong chuckled, turning away from his computer. "Thank you, you may put my secretary out of a job if you keep this up though."

"Oh, I didn't mean to do that," DongHae frowned, placing the cup down. "I just needed to stretch my legs for a few minutes, and saw a coffee shop nearby."

"I'm kidding, she does far more than bring me coffee," HyunJoong said, motioning to one of the chairs. "Take a seat, I could use a break about now."

DongHae blinked. "Okay." He sat down in a chair. "SungMin hasn't come by yet?" He hadn't seen the man all morning.

"No, he was still sleeping when I left for work," HyunJoong said, sipping at his coffee. "He was up rather late last night. Though he isn't really supposed to be coming around here anyway."

"I suppose not," DongHae rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. "You been dating for a long time?"

"Seems like it sometimes," HyunJoong said, his eyes far away. "We met right after I retired and started this business. So, just about two years now. It's been fun."

"Two years is a long time," DongHae nodded. "He doesn't...know about you though, you said."

"No, he doesn't," HyunJoong said, setting the cup down. "Our relationship isn't one that you would call close. We don't really know that much about each other and I think we both prefer it that way. He doesn't need to know about my past."

DongHae nodded slowly in acknowledgement. "Uh...KiBum keeps telling me I sometimes ask things that are too personal, so if you don't want to answer I understand, but...why did you decide to be a bad guy? I mean, you've got a pretty cool power."

HyunJoong thought about that, lips pursed. "I don't think I ever really made the decision to be a 'bad guy', it was more a series of bad decisions on my part."

"Oh..." DongHae looked down. "Okay, I was just curious."

"I'm sure JungMin would say I'm an evil man who was born evil and will be evil forever," HyunJoong said. "But at the heart of it, I just like money. When I was young and stupid, stealing it was the only way I knew how to get it. Now, I earn it like everyone else."

"He has said something like that..." DongHae mumbled sheepishly. "I think it's good though that you're not stealing anymore. I mean we all make mistakes, right?"

"A mistake is something you do once, realize it was wrong, and never do it again," HyunJoong said, frowning a little. "I didn't make a mistake DongHae, I made many decisions that depending on who you ask were wrong. I don't necessarily see it that way."

"Ah..." DongHae blinked. "Well, I don't know the exact decisions you made, so I can't really judge or anything...besides off what everyone else has been saying about you being evil, that is. But in my personal experience, you've been nice to me, so you're obviously not all evil."

"Even evil men can be kind," HyunJoong said, glancing at him. "Maybe I just like you."

DongHae grinned. "I don't think someone who is truly evil would be capable of kindness. I kinda like you too, more than I like KyuHyun anyways, he is mean."

"He can be, but deep down he just wants to do what's right," HyunJoong said. "The easiest way to deal with KyuHyun, is act like his tough guy attitude doesn't affect you."

"I've tried that," DongHae sighed. "It does get a little too much though. He doesn't even consider me and KiBum real superheroes."

"Look at it from his perspective," HyunJoong said, leaning back in his chair. "His life was good a few years ago. He had friends, was part of the best super hero team in the city. He had everything he ever wanted and then one day that all disappears. His friends either die or abandon him, and he's left completely alone. Then you and your friend show up, forced into his life after so many years alone. Wouldn't you be a little upset?"

DongHae frowned, mulling that over. "I guess so, yeah. But we're here so that he doesn't have to be alone anymore," he said.

HyunJoong sat forward in his chair, looking at DongHae critically. "Did you even ask him what he thought?"

The other man looked up at him. "I...no, I don't think so? I can't remember if I did or not."

"My guess would be the other two didn't ask him either," HyunJoong nodded. "Give him some time, he'll come around."

"Okay," DongHae looked down. "I guess I'm just impatient. We've never been part of a real team before."

"Me either, so this is going to be a little weird for me as well," HyunJoong said, lips quirked a little. "At least I know you'll be nice to me."

"Yeah," the other man grinned at that, looking up at him. "And KiBum's nice too. He just doesn't say much, so people always think he's either stuck-up or mad. But he'll be nice to you."

"I'm sure we'll get along just fine," HyunJoong nodded. "Thanks for the coffee, but you should get back to work before some people think I'm playing favorites."

"Oh," DongHae chuckled. "Maybe." He stood up. "It was nice talking to you though."

"Same," HyunJoong said, turning back to his computer. "I'm thinking of going out for some dinner tonight. I want you to join me, if you're not busy."

"Uh, sure," DongHae blinked at him. "I'm not busy, no. No, uh...less alcohol this time, right?"

"No, not if you don't want any," HyunJoong laughed. "Let people know you'll be going out, so there's no worried mother hens at home."

DongHae grinned. "Okay. See you after work then!" He waved before leaving the room. He headed back to his cubicle, smiling to himself.

After he was gone, HyunJoong picked up the phone on his desk and dialed a number. He leaned back in his chair to wait for an answer or the voicemail to pick up.

On the fourth ring, the call was picked up. "Hm? What is it Hyun?" SungMin sounded sleepy.

"Just letting you know I have a business dinner tonight that will probably run late," HyunJoong said. "And I think I left my cellphone on my sidetable, if you could bring that to me."

Bedsheets rustled. "...Yeah, it's here. Am I going to have to make you a checklist?" SungMin chuckled. "I'll bring it by later."

"Checklist wouldn't be a bad idea, I'll see you soon," HyunJoong smiled, setting the phone back down into the cradle. He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. For someone who liked order and consistency in his life, things didn't seem to be very orderly anymore. Yet, he didn't even mind that much.

 

 


 

Wow, our view and subscriber count's growing! Hey there to all the new readers! o/

Please comment, subscribe and/or upvote if you enjoyed the story! It really helps me out :)

 

@Forest_pixi: Omg. Did you know HyungJoon/JungMin in Proteus almost didn't happen? They bickered so much they almost didn't come together as a pairing by the end of the story! Now that's a couple that'll fight until the end of time...Tom and Jerry, orz... And why do I need memory eraser? D:

@katiemae01: And some more MinSaeng for you, sweetie~! Even if it's a little bittersweet this chapter.