Reliance

The Sworn

 

chapter twenty-two 
✧✦Reliance✦✧

 

I was almost a member of the Sworn."

DongHae was surprised by that, blinking. "You were? What happened?" He rested his elbows against his knees.

"It's a complicated story, a lot of mistakes and misunderstandings on my part," HyunJoong shrugged. "Do you really want to hear the whole thing?"

"I'd like to," DongHae nodded, frowning. "Only if you want to tell me though."

"We were all pretty young when we started, barely out of high school," HyunJoong said, leaning up against the wall. "I don't think any of us had set out to become super heroes, not really. Except for KyuHyun, but he came around later. I told you once before that I became who I am because of bad decisions and getting involved with people that I shouldn't have..."

Sighing heavily, HyunJoong took another drink. "Before they took the oath, when we still all had the same goal in mind, I met a man. That's always how it starts. I thought, at the time, that he wanted to do good things. That he wanted to help us... but he didn't. He used us... me, to do things for him. I didn't tell the others at first because I thought they knew about it. He used me to help him get into secure buildings, to find out information like passwords and combinations."

DongHae's eyes tightened slightly as he listened, not speaking until HyunJoong paused. "What happened then?" he asked quietly.

"It went on for some time, and the longer it went the more I felt... empowered by what we were doing," HyunJoong said. "I liked that we could do anything we wanted, because I thought it was in the name of doing the right thing. We had money, weapons... anything we wanted was at our fingertips. It didn't occur to me that what he and I were doing was exactly what the group was fighting against... Not until they caught me. JungMin had had suspicions about us for a while, and so the other guy took off during the last job. JungMin and KyuJong caught me red handed and that's when I realized what I had become. The thing about it though, was I didn't even care. That was when I knew I had crossed a line I could never go back to."

Nodding slowly, DongHae looked down at the table. "So...you used to be friends with them," he said quietly, looking up at HyunJoong. "Did you ever...miss them?"

"...Yes and no," HyunJoong frowned slightly. "It's a complicated feeling honestly. Maybe a long time ago I missed them, but it's been so long now. Besides, JungMin hates me because I killed ChangMin," he shrugged, downing the rest of his drink.

"What?" DongHae blinked. "I thought...from what I was told JungMin is upset he killed ChangMin, not you. KiBum and I didn't get the full story."

"Not surprised, it was a dark day for all of us," HyunJoong said. "The thing is... I never wanted to hurt people, that wasn't who I was. Any time I came up with a master evil plan, no one was ever supposed to get hurt. I'd put hostages in danger and the heroes would swoop in to save their lives while I skipped away with the money. They knew it, I knew it, it worked. But accidents happen."

Reaching over to the table, he poured himself another drink and sat back. "The plan was simple. I took everyone from one of the big banks downtown, loaded them into a bus I'd stolen, parked it under a bridge and locked the doors. Then I rigged explosives to the overpass with a timer. The plan was the Sworn would get the tip off with enough time to rescue them, while I was busy looting the bank. Unfortunately, they didn't get there in time to disarm the bomb or move the bus."

"And the overpass fell," DongHae finished quietly, gaze downcast. "But how did ChangMin die? Was that when you decided not to be a villain anymore?"

"ChangMin died because... JungMin tried to use his energy bombs to destroy the overpass as it fell," HyunJoong said. "ChangMin tried to help, amping up his power but it was too unstable. KyuJong was with them, he was able to put his forcefield bubble to protect himself, but couldn't extend it in time to save ChangMin. That's why JungMin blames himself, but he also blames me for ChangMin's death, and all the people on the bus. In all the years that we had been battling against each other, I had never caused a death before, and yes, that's when I decided to retire."

"Oh," DongHae intoned. He was silent for a long moment before looking up at HyunJoong, scooting closer to him. "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to say sorry to me for," HyunJoong said, closing his eyes. "I told you before I'm not a nice person DongHae. I have killed people since then, and I don't feel any guilt for doing so."

"If you didn't feel any guilt," DongHae murmured, "Why did you retire after all those people died?"

"Because I never wanted to be a killer," HyunJoong said. "And I do feel guilt for their deaths... just theirs."

"Then you're not pure evil," DongHae smiled sadly at him. "Because if you were, you wouldn't feel anything at all. And I said I was sorry because...JungMin had KyuJong and KyuHyun, but did you have anyone to talk to?"

"I had SungMin," HyunJoong snorted. "Looking back, probably not the best person to talk to about killing people... but we never really talked anyway."

"But you said he didn't know anything about who you are...that's what I mean, someone who would understand what you're talking about." DongHae looked down at HyunJoong's hand, reaching out and touching his fingers lightly. "I'm here to listen."

"There's nothing to talk about," HyunJoong shook his head. "It was a long time ago, and nothing is going to change what happened."

"Okay," DongHae murmured. "As long as you know you can talk to me about anything, anything at all."

"I already told you, I'm not much of a talker," HyunJoong said, opening his eyes to look at DongHae. "But thank you."

DongHae grinned at him, leaning in to kiss HyunJoong. It was a light kiss because he was starting to get tipsy, and had misjudged the distance between them, thinking there was less space then there actually was. "Maybe less serious conversation now."

"Alright," HyunJoong smiled, reaching a hand up to curl into DongHae's shirt and pull him closer. "You start," he said, giving DongHae a firmer kiss than the one he had just received.

"Okay," DongHae chuckled into kiss, hand against HyunJoong's chest to stop himself from falling over. "Question: Does this mean we're dating now?"

HyunJoong made a face at that. "Dating... yes. You can't call me your boyfriend though."

"Why?" DongHae blinked. "If we're dating doesn't that make you my boyfriend?"

"...Not... technically," HyunJoong said. "We're seeing each other, seeing if whatever this is works. If it does, great, if it doesn't, nothing lost and no messy breakup. Okay?"

"....Okay," DongHae frowned, not seeming to understand HyunJoong's reasoning. "But we're still dating."

"Yes," HyunJoong said, blinking at him. "This isn't that complicated DongHae."

"Sorry, I was having trouble processing that," DongHae shook his head before brightening. "I want a picture." He scooted closer so he could lean against the older man as he fished his phone out of his pocket.

"... Are you a high school girl and you haven't told me," HyunJoong sighed.

"What, acting like we're dating beyond kissing and having isn't something exclusive to girls." DongHae opened the camera application and held the phone up facing them, smiling widely as he took the picture. "Cheese!"

HyunJoong had turned his face, closing his eyes and pressing his nose into DongHae's hair when the picture was taken. "You're a very strange individual," he chuckled.

"I've been told that before," DongHae smiled happily as he saved the picture, putting his phone down. "But what's normal, really?"

"I didn't say I was normal, I said you're strange," HyunJoong said, tapping him on the nose. "Strange by my standards."

"As long as it's a good strange," DongHae laughed, leaning up to kiss him.

"I'd say it is," HyunJoong murmured, returning the kiss.

Chuckling, DongHae closed his eyes. Conversation was officially halted for a while, but what they'd talked about wouldn't be far from his mind in the morning. Once the alcohol wore off.

 

 

 

 

 

Waking up next to KyuHyun was something he could get used to, SungMin thought absently as he opened his eyes. They were still in SungMin's apartment for safety reasons, though since there hadn't been any attacks lately (lately being yesterday), he considered suggesting going back to KyuHyun's place instead. As small and messy as it was, there was some form of emotional attachment there. There was none here.

As much as he wanted to just lie there until KyuHyun finally woke up, whenever that was, he'd been slacking off. SungMin exhaled slowly through his nose in a sigh, carefully removing the arm from around his waist and eased out of the bed. KyuHyun was much easier to wake up than HyunJoong.

Pulling on a light pair of jogging pants and sleeveless top, SungMin slipped out of the bedroom and closed the door lightly behind him. He had to get some practice in, or else he was going to get a knife in the back. Spotting the newspaper pushed half under the front door, he grabbed it and tossed it onto the couch before heading into the farthest room from the bedroom to avoid waking up the sleeping man.

KyuHyun didn't stir for close to an hour after SungMin had gone, finally opening his eyes when something felt off. This wasn't his room, and it took him a few seconds before he remembered where he was and why. Though he was still confused since SungMin wasn't there beside him. KyuHyun could have sworn he remembered falling asleep curled up against the other man's back.

Sitting up, he rubbed at one eye and looked around. "SungMin?" he called, sliding his feet off the bed and looking around for something to wear. He wasn't quite sure where his own clothes had gone. Wrapping the comforter around himself, KyuHyun tiptoed over to the bedroom door and poked his head out. "SungMin?" he called again, listening for an answer.

Finished his exercises and stretching out sore muscles, SungMin looked up when he heard KyuHyun's voice. He chuckled, finishing the stretch he was on before getting back to his feet and heading back into the main room. "Morning, I was wondering when you'd wake up."

"How long you been up?" KyuHyun asked, leaning up against the door frame. "I don't know where my clothes are."

"I notice that," SungMin grinned at the comforter wrapped around the younger man, walking towards him. "About an hour. You can wear some of my clothes. You know there's nothing under there I haven't already seen," he poked where KyuHyun's stomach was under the comforter.

KyuHyun made a face at him. "It's cold, don't feel like freezing my balls off just so you can gawk at me," he said, shuffling backwards. "What were you doing?"

"Practicing. I've been slacking off for too long, not used to having someone around all day," SungMin chuckled.

"Oh... sorry if I'm interrupting your routine," KyuHyun said, looking away. "I'll get dressed, you can go back to your training I guess... I'll just find something to do till you're done."

SungMin shook his head. "I didn't mean it like that," he smiled, reaching out to pull KyuHyun closer by the comforter wrapped around him. "It's...nice having someone actually around for longer than it takes to have . It's just not something I'm used to yet."

"Well, I..." KyuHyun blushed, looking down at the hand on the comforter. "I'm still getting used to this whole... relationship thing. Whatever it is we have anyway."

"I'm not good at labeling things, so I'll let you call it whatever you want." SungMin leaned in to kiss KyuHyun, his other arm wrapping loosely around a comforter-covered waist.

KyuHyun had been trying to define what their relationship was, but he figured he should discuss it with SungMin first. That appeared to not be what SungMin wanted to do though, so he was still going to be out on his own. Tilting his head slightly at the kiss, he pulled one arm out of the comforter to go around SungMin's neck.

After a long, heated kiss, SungMin pulled back just enough to breathe, eyes opening. "Morning breath," he murmured teasingly against KyuHyun's lips.

"Sorry, didn't bring my toothbrush," KyuHyun replied, kissing him again lightly. "Should probably get dressed before you get any ideas."

"Probably," SungMin chuckled. "Do you want to go back to your place? You've got to be bored out of your mind here."

"Would be bored there too," KyuHyun shrugged. "We can go if you want. Kind of seems like you don't like being here."

"I keep this place for when I'm in danger and need a safe house to hide in. That's all. It's not a home." SungMin kissed KyuHyun again before pulling away, heading into the bedroom. "I need a shower. Pick whatever you want to wear." He opened a closet and pulled out nicer clothes to wear after.

KyuHyun blinked a little, watching SungMin. "Okay... so I guess we can when you're done then," he said, opening a dresser drawer and looking in.

Closing his closet, SungMin glanced over his shoulder at KyuHyun, lips quirking slightly. He turned and disappeared into the bathroom, closing the door.

The shower had just started running when KyuHyun's phone went off from somewhere in the room.

Freezing where he was, KyuHyun looked left to right as he tried to figure out where it was coming from. His cell phone had been in his pants, and his pants were... somewhere. They turned out to be behind one of the nightstands, somehow having fallen behind. KyuHyun didn't remember how they got off last night in the first place so he wasn't going to spend too much time thinking about it. Finally getting his phone out, he answered without checking who it was. "Hello?"

"Hey." It was JungMin on the other end of the phone. "You still alive wherever you are?"

"... Yes, thanks for your concern," KyuHyun said between clenched teeth. "Why are you calling, did someone die?"

"Someone nearly did last night, so we're checking up on you, is that all right with you?"

"What happened?" KyuHyun frowned, sitting down on the bed, draping the pants over his still lap. "Who was it?"

"HyunJoong. DongHae called KiBum last night and said an assassin snuck into HyunJoong's place, nearly killed him in the shower. They're both fine, the assassin's dead."

KyuHyun looked over his shoulder at the closed bathroom door, lips thinning a little. "So SungMin was right, about there being more sent out after people... Are you going to trust him now?"

A sigh was audible over the phone. "Honestly, KyuHyun? Whether he dropped whatever job he had or not, he's still a killer. Has he said anything about not killing people after this whole business is over?"

"... I'm not going to let him kill any more people," KyuHyun said. No, SungMin hadn't said anything about not doing more jobs in the future, but KyuHyun wasn't going to just let him keep doing it. "If he doesn't... then I'll turn him in."

"And a professional assassin is just going to let you turn him in, yeah. Listen...we're worried about you, okay? Come by when you have the chance."

"I'll be fine, I can take care of myself," KyuHyun grumbled. "Yeah, I'll come by later or something if I can. Um... has YoungSaeng said... are his visions back?"

"Not really. We've got a telepath here working with him, he got rid of whoever was messing with Saeng's head, but now they're working on control so the visions have to be stopped until he learns to control them properly. Who knows how long that'll take. Why?"

"Nothing, just wanted to see if he had seen you know... about SungMin," KyuHyun said, rubbing at his hair. "Look, if I come around SungMin comes with me. I don't really want him out of my sight but I don't want to freak YoungSaeng out."

JungMin's tone wasn't happy. "I hate to tell you this KyuHyun, but YoungSaeng has been having non-stop visions about SungMin killing him for God knows how long. Bringing him is a bad idea. Why are you two suddenly joined at the hip, why can't we talk to just you?"

KyuHyun glanced over his shoulder again at the door, lowering his voice. "Because... I'm afraid that if I'm not watching him Min, he'll get attacked again. Those assassins are after him too."

"..." JungMin sighed. "We want to talk to you first, KyuHyun. You alone. Then...we'll see about letting the assassin in. I'll run it by YoungSaeng so he'll hopefully freak out less."

"Okay, okay," KyuHyun nodded, closing his eyes. "I'll come by later, promise. Thanks for.. letting me know. About HyunJoong."

"Hey, we're a team...one hand has to know what the other hand's doing. Don't drop out of contact again."

"I won't," KyuHyun said, ending the call and setting his phone down on the bed next to him. He hoped SungMin would be okay with KyuHyun going somewhere without him.

SungMin came out of the bathroom ten minutes later, dressed and drying his messy, black hair with a towel. "Hey," he smiled at KyuHyun.

Looking up, KyuHyun quirked a half-hearted smile at him. "Hey uh... JungMin just called. HyunJoong was attacked last night. Assassin broke in, got him in the shower."

The smile faded from SungMin's face quickly. "...And? Is he okay?"

"Yeah, assassin's dead," KyuHyun nodded, watching SungMin carefully. "Look, I know that you know I don't really... I don't like HyunJoong, we have a very long history. But you and him were together for a while.. if you need to see him, I understand."

SungMin looked away, brow furrowed. "I'm...not so sure a visit from me would be appreciated," he said quietly.

"Maybe not," KyuHyun said, looking away. "But I need to go to JungMin's today, they want to talk to me. So if you wanted to pack up some stuff, we can go to my place first."

"Sure," SungMin nodded, draping the towel around his neck and going to pull his luggage out of the closet. "Where is Hyun staying now?"

"Uh... I didn't ask," KyuHyun said, looking down at the pants he still hadn't put on. "Maybe to DongHae's if he didn't want to stay at his own place."

"I don't know where that is," SungMin wrinkled his nose a little, ping the bag and pulling it open to start packing. "Not that I mind you sitting there all day, far from it, but you were complaining about being cold earlier."

"...I was interrupted," KyuHyun grumbled, finally putting the pants on and looking under the bed for his shirt. "I can ask them where HyunJoong went, if they know... if you want me to. You could call him too."

"If he'd answer a call from me," SungMin laughed, shaking his head. "Let's just get to your place first." He was quick and efficient about packing his bags, not fussing over what outfits to bring. He also went through his hidden drawer for weapons, slipping some in under the clothes.

"How do you know he wouldn't?" KyuHyun sighed, finding his shirt and pulling it on.

"Maybe because I was supposed to be the one to kill him?" SungMin smirked a little, glancing over his shoulder at KyuHyun.

KyuHyun didn't reply, there wasn't much he could say to that. There was no love lost between himself and HyunJoong, but he didn't want to see the man dead. From what he could tell, SungMin didn't either. Finishing getting dressed, he sat back down on the bed.

SungMin finished packing, zipping up the luggage bags and standing. "Ready." He walked to where KyuHyun was sitting. "Are you all right with me staying with you?"

"Of course, I suggested it didn't I?" KyuHyun said, getting up to his feet. "As long as you're okay with it... it won't make you uncomfortable?"

"Why would it?" SungMin rested his hands against KyuHyun's hips, watching his face.

"Just asking," KyuHyun shrugged. "Not that I think you would or anything. I just want you to be sure this is what you want to do."

"I'm positive," SungMin chuckled, leaning in to kiss KyuHyun. "Hmm...let's go out somewhere tonight."

"Go out?" KyuHyun blinked. "Like... go where? I don't want to go to an arcade again, that wasn't fair."

"I wasn't the one who made the challenge, remember?" SungMin grinned. "Let's go...somewhere. Anywhere. I don't care where. Where do people go on dates?"

"How am I supposed to know?" KyuHyun rolled his eyes. "I've... never actually been on a date. Except with you."

SungMin didn't seem discouraged at that, smile widening. "Then let's find somewhere we'll both enjoy for a date. Sound fun?"

"Yeah, sure," KyuHyun shrugged. "I don't know how long I'm going to be at JungMin's for though, so let's not make set in stone plans."

"I know that." SungMin frowned lightly at KyuHyun's lack of enthusiasm, pulling away. He grabbed his luggage and rolled it toward the bedroom door. "Or maybe we just won't go anywhere."

Sighing heavily, KyuHyun followed after him. "Look, it's not that I don't want to go out... which okay I'm not big on going out or whatever, but... HyunJoong was attacked, we were attacked... what if it happens again?"

"Then we deal with it. If I put my life on hold every time someone decided they wanted me dead, I'd never leave here." SungMin left his bags at the front door, double-checking around the apartment and grabbing the newspaper on his way by. "Unless you don't think I can protect you."

"I can protect myself," KyuHyun scowled at him. "Which is my point. You don't think I can so you'll be too focused on trying to keep me out of harm's way. Promise me that if something happens, you take care of yourself and let me worry about me."

"I can take care of myself, but considering last fight we got into you passed out afterwards, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in worrying about you," SungMin shrugged, turning back towards KyuHyun.

"... I passed out because I was helping you and blew a transformer," KyuHyun said, eyes narrowing. "I won't try and help you next time."

"If you're going to make yourself pass out again, then don't. I would have thought that'd be covered in ‘Superhero 101’ or whatever. I'm not trying to be mean: I'm trying to say we can watch each other's backs a lot easier when we're both fully conscious."

"Right," KyuHyun stated sourly, finding his shoes. "Here, take my key and head to my place. I'm just going to go to JungMin's now. I'll be back later."

SungMin frowned, stepping closer to take the key. Well, that hadn't come out right. "Yeah, sure. Be careful out there."

"I'll be fine," KyuHyun said, handing the key to him and heading out the door. "I don't need someone protecting me." Letting himself out, he grumbled under his breath pretty much the entire time he walked down the stairs and out the building. He was probably blowing the whole thing out of proportion, but the way SungMin was smirking at him and the tone of his voice set KyuHyun on edge. He wasn't a child and didn't need his hand to be held to walk across the street.

 

 

 

 


 

....Oh man I haven't updated for a while O.o;;; Sorry!! School + Nano = crazy crazy.

Please comment, upvote and/or subscribe if you liked the story! <3

Thank you to icezhuu for upvoting! \o/

 

@Forest_pixi: Don't let school strangle you D: Hang in there!!! And Saengie's mv made me sniffle a little...can't believe he's gone for 2 years ;; But just like KyuJong, he'll come back. All the comebacks by older groups lately are making me giddy, imagining that could be SS501 one day~

@katiemae01: LOL Living in a small house all together is...chaotic to say the least. You'll probably get some amusement out of that ;D And Hyun/Hae was a pairing that came totally out of nowhere (and is definitely not one of the usual pairings), but they work xD Thank you for your comments~ sorry for taking so long ;A;

@tehreem: Hi new commenter :D It's fine if you don't know any of the others, Kat and I try to write our stories so even if all the characters aren't known in real life, they're at least easy to recognize in the story. Little Kim Brother isn't in this story, but he is in a lot of the other stories we write XD Thank you for your comments~ <3