Truth and Lies

The Sworn

 

chapter eighteen           
✧✦Truth and Lies✦✧

 

"I shouldn't have brought you there," KyuHyun said for the fifth time, hands stuffed in his coat pockets. "I should have told them on my own or somewhere safe."

"What's done is done, can't do anything now but wait for them to reach you," SungMin shrugged, walking beside him. "Do you think they'll throw out my knives?" He hadn't been able to retrieve them.

"Doubt it, but never know with them," KyuHyun said. "I guess I was just hoping YoungSaeng would be in one of his vision modes and wouldn't run out and tell them what I know... that you want to help."

"Are you second-guessing me now that he hasn't?" SungMin raised an eyebrow at KyuHyun.

"What? No, that's not... I told you that YoungSaeng's being blocked by a telepath," KyuHyun explained. "If he would be having his visions then he would have known you were coming in the first place. I trust you, that you're telling the truth."

SungMin's lips quirked slightly. "That's all that matters to me. You're the one I'm helping, after all."

"So if you didn't like me, then you wouldn't have helped," KyuHyun said, frowning a little. "I honestly don't know if that's better or worse."

"How about you just take it for what it is," SungMin rolled his eyes, hooking his arm around KyuHyun's. "Before you give yourself a headache."

"Easy for you to say," KyuHyun muttered. "My friends think I betrayed them. That doesn't really sit well with me right now."

"You didn't. They'll figure it out eventually." SungMin adjusted his bag as they turned the corner, glancing to one side.

"I hope you're right," KyuHyun sighed. "Something wrong?"

SungMin chuckled, and used his arm hooked around KyuHyun's to draw him off their current path towards KyuHyun's house and down a different street. "Our tail's still there."

"Tail? What tail?" KyuHyun blinked, trying to subtly look behind them. "Who would...? Your client has someone watching you?"

"Quite possibly. I haven't taken another name off that list in a couple days." SungMin shrugged. "Keep talking. He's been following for a couple blocks now, too far back to hear anything."

"And how long are we going to just keep walking?" KyuHyun asked, frowning at him. "Is he going to try to kill you?"

"If my client's realized our deal's off, then that's what he's here for," SungMin chuckled, looking at KyuHyun. "There's plenty of electric outlets for you to escape through, I can take care of this guy."

"I'm not running away," KyuHyun said, shaking his head. "We need a plan."

"Why a plan?" SungMin frowned. "Putting a bullet through his skull is the plan."

"Because in case you haven't noticed, he isn't alone," KyuHyun hissed, glancing towards their right where someone was coming out of an alley.

Following KyuHyun's glance, SungMin sighed. "Thorough client. Are you sure you don't want to get out of here? It's not going to be very pretty." He pulled KyuHyun down a dimly lit side street to their left.

"I can handle myself," KyuHyun said. "How good is your aim in the dark?"

SungMin's grin became dangerous. "Much better than theirs." He casually undid a small flap on his bag, fingers closing around the gun hidden inside.

"Good, cause I don't think you'd be able to take on them all at once," KyuHyun said, seeing three more men walking towards them down the street. "There's a junction box just ahead, walk closer to it," he murmured, pulling on SungMin slightly to get closer. "You ready?"

"Ready," the assassin nodded, watching the approaching men. "Just don't argue if I tell you to duck." He undid the safety on his gun with a low click.

"Don't worry, I won't be anywhere near here," KyuHyun said, sliding his arm out of SungMin's hold just as they reached the junction box. The men coming towards them sensed something was up and weapons were being drawn, but KyuHyun was faster. Pressing his hand to the side of the box, he disappeared in a shower of sparks, the lights overhead flickering before going out. Somewhere near the street they were on, a transformer blew, the ground beneath their feet trembled from the force.

The second the lights were out SungMin's gun was too, firing two shots into the dark. Sparks flew off the wall beside him as someone tried to fire back, the assassin moving out of the way and running to where the shots were originating from. Two of the men were on the ground, unmoving and barely visible in the darkness. SungMin reached the third man just as the attacker fired another shot, kicking the gun out of his hand and slamming him against the wall.

A shower of sparks rained down from a streetlamp nearby, KyuHyun dropping to the ground and panting heavily. "SungMin?" he whispered, touching his hand to the post. The light flickered on, bathing the street in a dim light.

SungMin let the man he'd slammed against the wall fall, his neck twisted. The two men he'd shot were clearly dead as well, blood pooling from the holes between their eyes.

"Where'd they go," SungMin murmured, looking around for the missing two attackers before walking to KyuHyun, keeping his gun out. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine," KyuHyun nodded, leaning heavily up against the pole. "Just tired. They dead?"

"Two ran off, probably to report in," SungMin said, frowning as he stopped beside KyuHyun and helped the other man lean against him. "Let's go before they come back."

"Yeah, my apartment isn't far," KyuHyun nodded, slowly pulling his hand away from the post. The light winked out and it was back to darkness. "I think... I got carried away in turning out the lights," he chuckled sheepishly.

"You think so?" SungMin's lips quirked. "Here," he put his gun away and shifted so that he could carry KyuHyun on his back. "My place is just as close, and I'm not taking you back to your apartment if those two idiots are still around."

"What? Your place?" KyuHyun blinked slowly, though he didn't protest to leaning up against SungMin's back. "Don't you live with HyunJoong?"

"What, you think I keep my weapons and stuff at his place too?" SungMin chuckled, getting KyuHyun's arms and legs positioned before heading out of the alley, stepping over the bodies. "I don't use it often, but I have my own apartment. Not that even HyunJoong knows where it is."

"So I should feel lucky that you're going to show me?" KyuHyun snorted, closing his eyes. "I'm not going to wake up tied up to the bed posts am I?"

"Only if you're into that sort of thing," SungMIn teased, voice gentle. "You're going to be fine, KyuHyun."

"Better be," KyuHyun murmured. "If I wake up in a bathtub full of ice and my liver gone, I'll kill you."

"I think you're mixing up my profession with someone else's," SungMin smiled. "Sleep."

"Way ahead of you..." KyuHyun mumbled before dropping off into a doze.

Chuckling softly, SungMin picked up the pace; he didn't want to get caught outside with an unconscious man on his back. Thankfully the way back to his apartment was quiet, minus the few people who looked at him weird as he headed inside.

Finally getting KyuHyun into the apartment and lying down on his bed, SungMin patiently took off the man's jacket and shoes before pulling the blankets over him.

The soft bed and warm blankets roused KyuHyun a little, and one of his eyes opened. "I didn't get the tour," he murmured, a tired smile curling his lips.

SungMin looked down at him with an amused smile. "You're not missing much. Anything I can get you?"

Pulling back the covers a little, KyuHyun held out his hand. "No arguments about who sleeps on the couch."

Smile widening, SungMin took the offered hand and slipped into the bed beside KyuHyun, reaching up to turn off the bedside lamp at the same time. "You're not awake enough to argue with me." Settling down, he leaned in and pressed a kiss to KyuHyun's lips.

"Never too tired to argue," KyuHyun grumbled against SungMin's lips, an arm going around his waist.

Lingering against the younger man's mouth, SungMin pulled back after a moment. "Go to sleep, you're safe here," he whispered.

Mumbling incoherently, KyuHyun's breath evened out and his shoulders relaxed, drifting into a dreamless sleep.

Lips curling upwards, SungMin watched KyuHyun slip into sleep before closing his eyes. He couldn't remember the last time he slept beside someone with all his clothes still on, and it was nice. The arm wrapped loosely around his waist was even better. Taking a moment to be sure his gun was beside the bed, just in case, he settled down to sleep as well.

*****************

By the next morning, KyuHyun was already feeling better though he took a day off from work. He was still surprised that SungMin was being so nice to him, but he wasn't going to complain. It was rather refreshing to have SungMin smiling at him in a way that wasn't feral or suggestive looking. That and he seemed to be in a good mood despite having nearly been killed several times in the past couple of days.

Hanging up his phone, KyuHyun set it down on the table beside him. He doubted SungMin's good mood was going to last for much longer. "That was DongHae... they've agreed to a meeting at JungMin's place again. HyunJoong's going to be there."

SungMin looked away from the window, frowning lightly. "Guess there's no way to avoid it, huh." He leaned against the wall, arms folded across his chest. "Does he know already?"

"DongHae didn't say, but knowing him he probably told HyunJoong everything," KyuHyun said, scrubbing a hand through his hair. "They want us there in an hour... are you going to be okay?"

"Sure," SungMin shrugged, pushing away from the wall. "I'm just gonna go get my stuff from his place beforehand. He won't be there right now."

"Okay... I guess I'll just wait here for you," KyuHyun said, looking down at his hands.

"Don't touch anything pointy." Watching him, SungMin walked over and slung one arm over KyuHyun's shoulder. "Hey, aren't I'm supposed to be the nervous one?" he teased.

"You said yourself you don't get nervous," KyuHyun said. "I'll just be nervous for the both of us."

"I get nervous, I just do a better job than you at not showing it. You sure you're going to stay here? There's not much to do besides watch tv or take a nap." While SungMin was a very frivolous person, his apartment had just the bare necessities, with nothing personal that could be tied to him. Even the various picture frames set up around the house still had the paper placeholders in them, showing smiling faces that had no relation to him.

"Yeah, I don't really want to go to his apartment," KyuHyun said, looking away. "Just knowing that you were with him there... sets my teeth on edge."

Blinking, SungMin's lips quirked. "Have I mentioned already that no matter how this goes, I'm breaking up with him?" He stepped around in front of KyuHyun and wrapped his arms loosely around the younger man's neck.

"I know, but it's still... I wouldn't feel comfortable," KyuHyun said, his arms securing around SungMin's waist. "This is probably something you should do on your own."

"I guess so," SungMin sighed, playing with KyuHyun's hair. "Why does it bother you so much?"

"It just does okay?" KyuHyun said, taking a steadying breath. "Hurry back, I'll be waiting for you."

Smiling, SungMin leaned in to kiss the other man before breaking away. "I'll be back in a few." He grabbed his bag on the way to the door, leaving the apartment.

It didn't take long to get his belongings from HyunJoong's apartment, everything easily fitting into two suitcases. Locking up the door behind him, SungMin removed the apartment key from his chain and crouched to slide it underneath the door. He didn't give himself time to ponder the fact that he'd never set foot in the place he'd spent the last two years again, adjusting his bag over his shoulder and rolling his suitcases towards the elevator.

Calling a taxi, he was back at his own apartment within half an hour. Unlocking the door and pushing it open, he pulled his suitcases in after himself and shut the door with his foot.

"How'd it go?" KyuHyun got up from where he'd been sitting on the couch. He'd spent the better part of that time just staring out the window, not one for watching tv and he didn't have his games here. "Was he there?"

"Nah, he's probably at work." SungMin brought his suitcases into the bedroom and left them to deal with later. "Ready to go?" He picked up his wrist sheathes and pulled up his sleeves to strap them around his lower arms.

"No weapons," KyuHyun said, crossing his arms. "If you want them to trust you, no weapons."

Blinking, SungMin looked back at KyuHyun with a frown. "I don't know if you've noticed, but people trying to kill me is pretty-much a daily occurrence. I can't zap people like you can."

"Right, so I'll protect you," KyuHyun said, stepping closer. "I just... I don't want you to give them a reason not to trust that you're telling the truth."

Frowning at KyuHyun and clearly unhappy, SungMin sighed loudly before taking the sheathes off again. "Does that mean I'm leaving my gun here too?"

"Yes," KyuHyun said firmly. "Just trust me. If this goes well, they'll give you back your knives at least."

SungMin's lips thinned slightly, and he didn't reply as he opened up a drawer of his dresser and removed the false bottom to hide his sheathes inside. Removing his boot knives and placing them in the drawer as well, the last thing to go was the gun hidden inside his bag. He placed the false bottom back, closing up the drawer and slinging his bag over his shoulder. "Let's go."

"I'm surprised I never cut myself just being around you," KyuHyun said, blinking at the amount of weapons. "At least it's daytime, less likely those goons will be after us now."

"Daytime's the worst because you're not expecting it," SungMin replied plainly, slipping past KyuHyun to the door.

"Okay, then we'll expect it," KyuHyun said, following him out of the apartment. "You do know I can handle myself right? And that it's part of my job to protect people? And, you don't even need weapons, didn't you kill someone with a playing card?"

"The guy was a metal bender and warped anything I used on him," SungMin wrinkled his nose. "It's the principle of the matter, going somewhere without a weapon is just asking for trouble. I'm not someone who needs protecting."

"Well for today, you are," KyuHyun said, glancing at him. "Can you put yourself in my hands for the twenty minute walk to JungMin's?"

"I guess I am," SungMin shook his head, not looking as comfortable and collected as he usually did. "You're lucky I like you so much." They left the building, heading down the street.

"Yeah... lucky," KyuHyun murmured under his breath. Maybe luck had a bit to do with it, because they made it to JungMin's without any incidents. No thugs with guns shooting at them, no explosions, nothing. Which was good, because by the time KyuHyun was knocking on the door, he was trembling from the anxiety of it all.

JungMin unlocked the door and opened it, looking down at them with an unreadable expression. "You're the last ones here." He stepped back for them to enter the house. SungMin followed KyuHyun inside, chin lifted.

"This isn't just a set up right?" KyuHyun asked JungMin, his expression set.

"It's not a set up," KyuJong said from the other end of the hallway. "We're not going to hurt SungMin, we just want to make sure he's telling the truth."

"Get in so we can explain more," JungMin closed the door after them before heading back to the living room. The others were sitting in various spots around the room, DongHae watching nervously from beside KiBum.

"I already said he was telling the truth, you just don't want to believe," KyuHyun said, looking at each of their faces.

"We want to, but you're asking a great deal here," KyuJong said, sitting down on the arm of the couch. "If YoungSaeng could see the future then this wouldn't be an issue and we would know for sure, but we don't. DongHae presented us with an idea, one that SungMin needs to agree to."

Stepping into the room, SungMin looked around at everyone there, gaze falling on HyunJoong before returning to KyuJong. "What idea is this?"

DongHae cleared his throat, sitting up straighter. "HyunJoong would ask you."

"..." SungMin's eyes narrowed slightly as he caught the meaning in those words. "You mean hypnotize me into talking. What happens if I don't agree to be hypnotized?"

"Then we wouldn't trust you," KyuJong said, arms crossed. "We would detain you, and hand you to the police."

"What?!" KyuHyun's eyes widened.

"Those are your options SungMin," HyunJoong said, looking at the assassin calmly. "Do what you know is right here."

"'What is right', yeah," SungMin's expression was unreadable as he looked back at HyunJoong. He glanced at KyuHyun for a long moment before stepping forward. "Fine. I'll do it."

"This isn't right at all," KyuHyun said, though he didn't make a move to stop SungMin.

"Sit down SungMin, this won't take long," HyunJoong said, motioning to the chair across from him.

"I'm sure." SungMin walked to the chair and sat down, appearing cool and collected as he met HyunJoong's eyes.

"It will, I only have one thing to ask you SungMin," HyunJoong said, his eyes narrowing slightly. "Tell the truth... tell me the truth..." he said slowly, his voice lowering and beginning to resonate. "Tell the truth. Are you going to help the Sworn?"

SungMin's eyes had hazed over, expression going slack. "...Yes," he murmured.

"Tell the truth... are you going to hurt any of the people in this house?" HyunJoong asked, watching SungMin carefully.

"...No," SungMin replied.

KyuJong breathed a soft sigh of relief, reaching over to touch JungMin's arm lightly.

"Wake up SungMin... time to wake up," HyunJoong said, his voice raising back up to normal again. "Wake up."

SungMin blinked a few times, the haze leaving his eyes. He straightened in his seat before standing, stepping away from HyunJoong. "Well?"

"...You passed," JungMin glanced at KyuJong beside him, covering the older man's hand with his own.

"See? I told you," KyuHyun said, though he felt better knowing for absolute certain himself. Not that he was ever going to say that to SungMin.

"If that's all, I'll be going," HyunJoong said, getting to his feet. He gave SungMin a cursory glance before heading to the door.

SungMin watched him go, expression blank. After the door had closed he turned back towards the room, arms folded across his chest.

"We need to know everything you both know," JungMin said, looking between SungMin and KyuHyun with a frown. He wasn't happy about letting this assassin into their group, but he'd passed HyunJoong's test and they needed all the help they could get.

"Told you everything yesterday," KyuHyun said. "Except after we left, we got attacked by five guys with guns. Whoever SungMin's client was, knows he's switched sides already."

"The people that were on the list, they're still in danger aren't they?" KyuJong asked, his brow furrowed.

"Yes," SungMin nodded. "My client will just hire someone else to pick up where I left off."

"We need to warn everyone on that list," JungMin looked to KyuJong.

"The sooner the better," KyuJong agreed. "Have to get as many as we can out of harm's way... and we know at least a couple who'll be coming here," he said, giving JungMin a pointed look.

"...I don't have a big enough house for this," JungMin grumbled.

"Keeping everyone here isn't a good idea," SungMin said. "You're just going to make it easier to be taken out all in one shot."

"Let us worry about that," KyuJong said. "We can protect this place much better than you seem to give us credit for."

"YoungSaeng already said there were going to be a couple of the heroes here," KyuHyun said. "Where is he anyway?"

"Upstairs," JungMin said, giving SungMin a pointed glance. "Is there anything else we need to know?"

"You told them about the disappearances?" SungMin asked KyuHyun.

"Kind of, didn't get a chance to explain," KyuHyun said, sighing a little. "Look, it's not that heroes are dying, but someone's taking the ones that aren't on the list. We have to warn everyone, not just the ones on the list."

"That's a lot of people," KyuJong said, looking at JungMin with a frown. "Good thing that network is still up and running. How do we even explain this?"

"I think everyone knows by now something's wrong," JungMin shook his head. "What are we supposed to tell them to do though? Besides watch their backs? We can't fit everyone into my house."

"No, but we can have safe houses set up," KyuJong said. "Places for heroes to go, to be safe in numbers. That and we can use any information they may have."

"We need to start that right away then," JungMin sighed loudly, rubbing his temples. "Are we done with him?" He pointed at SungMin. "YoungSaeng needs to be down here."

"... Let's go," KyuHyun made a face at JungMin, motioning for SungMin to come with. "Call me if you need anything."

"You're not going to help us plan?" JungMin frowned at KyuHyun.

"Stay here, it's just me they don't want around," SungMin murmured to KyuHyun, heading back to the door.

"I'd rather go with you then stay here," KyuHyun said, following SungMin. "They don't trust you then they don't trust me."

JungMin watched them go, the door closing after them. "I thought KyuHyun hated SungMin," DongHae said, blinking.

"Who knows," JungMin sighed loudly, standing. "I'll get YoungSaeng." He headed towards the stairs and up towards the bedrooms.

YoungSaeng was waiting at the top of the stairs, watching JungMin pensively. "So he was telling the truth," he said quietly. "Am I the liar then?"

"No, you're not a liar," JungMin shook his head, reaching the landing. "You're interpreting the visions the best you can...and I'm still apprehensive about letting him in here considering he tried to kill you."

"That's something we can agree on," YoungSaeng said, trying a small smile. He winced slightly, swaying where he was standing and reaching out for JungMin. "Back and forth... back and forth... can't.... Diamond... diamond, find the diamond, the brilliant light... speaking in tongues."

JungMin's eyes widened, stepping forward quickly to catch YoungSaeng before he could fall. Had his visions just come back? "Saeng, focus...what are you seeing?"

Clinging tightly to JungMin, YoungSaeng's eyes shut tightly in pain. "Made of diamonds... shiny, glittering, brilliant. Holding a feather, tongue tied, tongue... speak?" his eyes opened and he looked up at JungMin. "Feathers knows."

"RyeoWook," JungMin nodded, brows knit in worry. "We'll ask RyeoWook. Are you okay to go downstairs? Maybe you should lie down again." He pressed a kiss to YoungSaeng's forehead, rubbing his back in slow circles.

YoungSaeng shook his head, taking in a deep breath. "No, no.. it's... gone now," he said, panting a little. "This is so much worse than having them all the time... It hurts my head going back and forth."

"We'll get this fixed," the redhead murmured, not letting go of YoungSaeng just yet, waiting for the older man to say he was okay. "Need to get that telepath out of your head."

Nodding, YoungSaeng took a steadying breath before he pulled back to look up at JungMin. "Thank you for being there," he said, touching JungMin's cheek. "I probably would have fallen down the stairs and broken my neck. So much for visions huh?"

"Next time you feel one coming, just sit down, I don't want you falling down off of anything," JungMin frowned worriedly down at YoungSaeng. "Are you...okay now?"

"For now," YoungSaeng smiled a little, leaning up to brush his lips over JungMin's. "Let's go plan now hm? That's what we're doing now right?"

"Yes, though I think we're going to see if RyeoWook's awake first," JungMin said, wanting to run by what had just happened with the bird shifter. RyeoWook had been asleep the majority of the time since being shot; though his life had been spared, the healing had taken a lot out of him. Returning YoungSaeng's kiss, he took the precog's hand and started down the stairs. "YoungSaeng had another vision," he called down ahead of them. "We need to speak with RyeoWook."

"What?" KyuJong blinked, getting to his feet. "What'd he say? What'd you say YoungSaeng?"

"Not sure," YoungSaeng shook his head. "Gets a bit fuzzy when I can't just think about it... kind of like touching a live electrical wire I think."

"He said RyeoWook would know something about...about finding a diamond. We need to ask him before I forget what YoungSaeng said," JungMin groaned, heading towards the stairs to the basement. A soft light was on down below for the first time in years, the basement completely cleaned out and cots set up for anyone who needed them.

"I told you you should start carrying around a recording device," KyuJong said, following JungMin and YoungSaeng to the stairs.

 

 


 

Another update for y'all :D

Please comment, subscribe and/or upvote if you enjoyed the story!

 

@Forest_pixi: Ohhhh LOL I didn't recognize any of those authors /o\ I'll have to look them up, I'm so far out of the loop for written works. Hope you did well on your exam!! All your exams ><;;; /cheers for you forever

@katiemae01: Lol I get the feeling that Saengie is your favorite character here? ;) Adorable crazy precog hobo?