Illusions of Happiness

The Sworn

 

chapter seventeen                   
✧✦Illusions of Happiness✦✧

 

DongHae waited around the front of JungMin's house, figuring HyunJoong would look there since he hadn't exactly specified a location. Kicking a pebble back and forth, he thought about everything that had happened. Did HyunJoong know about SungMin? He had to know, right? Probably not...

And he wasn't exactly sure what to do about it. His gut was telling him to say something, and his instincts had never led him wrong, but he had gotten in so much trouble for that lately.

The black car came around the corner and slowed to a stop in front of DongHae. The driver got out and opened the back door for him, HyunJoong inside waiting. "Hurry up, don't have all night," HyunJoong said, sipping at a drink he had.

DongHae blinked repeatedly, scrambling to get into the car. "What's the rush? Where are we going?" he asked, totally confused. He put the SungMin issue to the back of his mind for the moment.

"For a drink," HyunJoong said. "I did mention that when I called."

"You just said you wanted to go out, nothing about drinking," DongHae said, buckling himself in. "And you already have a drink," he pointed out what HyunJoong was holding.

"This is the appetizer," HyunJoong smirked, finishing it off. "Yes, usually when I say I want to go out I mean I want a drink. But since I knew that wouldn't pique your interest, I decided we'd go somewhere that you would enjoy as well."

"Oh?" DongHae looked intrigued and confused at the same time. "Like where?"

"You'll see," HyunJoong just smiled, glancing out the window. He was silent as they drove through the city, only speaking when the car rolled to a stop somewhere in the Hongdae district. "I like to consider myself good at reading people, and I was pretty sure you liked to dance," he said, looking at DongHae. "We're going to a club."

Looking outside the car, DongHae's expression brightened. "How did you know I like to dance? I love to dance!" He did a little jig in the seat before beating the driver to opening the door, climbing out of the car.

"I just told you, I'm good at reading people," HyunJoong chuckled, getting out of the car. "I made reservations at this one," he said, pointing to one of the buildings, the bass being heard all the way out on the street. "We have a table waiting for us in a VIP room."

"VIP room?" DongHae looked back at him. "I've never been in a VIP room before." He fell in step beside HyunJoong as they walked to the building. "Wow, I don't think I've been in this club before. They have good music."

"One of the best in the city," HyunJoong nodded. None of the security guards or bouncers looked twice at them, doors opening before they even reached them. HyunJoong took DongHae's hand as they started into the press of people, leading him towards a staircase to go up to the second level. The rope blocking the stairs was removed, the bouncer nodding to HyunJoong as they started up. "Don't worry, I won't keep you locked away all night," HyunJoong said into DongHae's ear, raising his voice enough to be heard over the music.

"Okay?" DongHae followed HyunJoong, keeping pace with him. "We're not dancing?" he asked, looking over at the other man. He seemed to be having a good time either way, grinning widely.

HyunJoong looked at DongHae with a level gaze, blinking several times. "... I just said... nevermind," he sighed, shaking his head as he went to one of the glass enclosed rooms. Once inside with the door closed to muffle the sound a little, HyunJoong pulled off his coat and threw it on one of the couches. "I meant, we'll start with a drink and then dance. I wouldn't bring you to a club and not dance. I'm not one of those kinds of guys."

"I didn't think you were," DongHae smiled, taking off his own jacket. He'd gotten it specifically for work, because he didn't exactly have many work-appropriate clothes, and at least with a nice jacket on top he could hide the fact he showed up to work in wildly colorful sleeveless shirts all the time. "So you like dancing too?"

"I do, haven't had much time for dancing lately though," HyunJoong said, sitting on one of the couches and lounging. "One of the things I miss from my days before I was a CEO. Being able to go out and mingle amongst the crowd, and dance until dawn."

"Why don't you try and relax more?" DongHae asked, dropping down beside him. "You're always so busy, couldn't you, I don't know, get someone to help you so you're less busy?"

"I could, but I either don't trust people enough, or I just like to be busy," HyunJoong chuckled. "SungMin says I micromanage everything. He's probably right, but I just like to make sure things get done right."

"Take care of your health too," DongHae frowned, reminded of SungMin. Telling HyunJoong now would put a dampener on the whole evening...but HyunJoong had to know. "I...have to tell you something. Something really big happened at JungMin's just before you called. I just don't know how to start."

"Oh? The precog have another vision?" HyunJoong chuckled, glancing at DongHae. "How about we get a drink first, then you can fill me in."

"It...wasn't a vision, but okay," DongHae nodded. "Where's the bar?" He hopped to his feet.

"Straight across, but there should be waitresses around," HyunJoong said, his eyes tightening slightly before getting up as well. "Sit, relax, I'll get drinks," he said, pushing DongHae back down and going to the door.

Squawking as he fell back onto the couch, DongHae blinked after him. "Uh...okay. Nothing too strong please!"

"I know, I'll get you a Shirley Temple or something," HyunJoong waved, going back out. Not seeing any of the waitresses, he went to the bar and ordered their drinks, informing the bartender to keep them supplied for the night before returning with the drinks. "Here, I got you the weakest thing they make," he said, pushing the door closed with his foot and holding out the drink to DongHae.

"Looks fruity," DongHae grinned, taking it from HyunJoong. "Thanks! How much was it?" He pulled out his wallet from his back pocket.

"Put that away before I take it from you," HyunJoong said, sitting back down. "Drinks here are more than you make in a day."

"Oh..." DongHae blinked at the drink. It didn't look like a hundred-dollar drink to him, though it was in a fancy glass. "I don't have that much on me...I guess you'd be able to just take it out of my paycheck, right?"

"... So you were going to tell me something?" HyunJoong asked, changing the subject.

About to try a sip of the hundred-dollar drink, DongHae stopped and lowered the glass. "...Yeah. But you're not going to like it at all." He looked down. "Yesterday the wolf tried to kill someone who was helping us, Feathers? Feathers survived, barely, but KyuHyun was able to catch the wolf and unmask him."

"And?" HyunJoong tilted his head slightly, watching him with an unreadable expression. "Do they know who it was?"

"Yeah." DongHae glanced at HyunJoong out of the corner of his eyes. "It was SungMin."

That took a moment for HyunJoong to process, setting down his drink on the table and getting to his feet. "I think I'm ready to dance," he said, moving towards the door.

"Huh?" DongHae blinked, putting his drink down and standing too. "That's it? You're not going to say anything?"

"Is there anything more you needed to add?" HyunJoong asked, turning to look at him. "Did they kill him? Is he still alive? I saw him before I left work so then he's still alive. That's all I need to know right now. You coming?"

"...Yeah," DongHae nodded, a little spooked by the response. Shouting and yelling had been what he was expecting. "Wait up!" He hurried to follow HyunJoong.

HyunJoong didn't, though he didn't make it far into the crowd before he stopped. Soon as DongHae was close enough, he grabbed the man by his arm and pulled him in close. With the high volume of the music and the other bodies pressing in around them, there wasn't much opportunity to talk, which was fine with HyunJoong, an arm going around DongHae's waist.

DongHae didn't protest at the arm, preferring that over the crowd that jostled them. He continued to look at HyunJoong worriedly before the loud bass made it too hard to think, strobe lights going off sporadically. Relaxing a little, he started to dance, moving to the music.

Time was irrelevant on the floor, HyunJoong not thinking about SungMin or anything else but DongHae in front of him. The music was loud and fast at first, letting him relax and ignore everything. At some point, the tempo slowed enough that both HyunJoong's hands were resting on DongHae's hips, moving them together and his head dropped to rest against DongHae's and breathe in his scent.

The other man seemed oblivious to the lack of space between them, even though he really wasn't. Hands against HyunJoong's shoulders, DongHae looked over what he could see of HyunJoong's expression. After a long minute he closed his eyes, breathing in deeply as his fingers curled into HyunJoong's shirt.

Pulling DongHae a little closer, HyunJoong tilted his head a little so he could brush his nose against DongHae's cheek and forehead. Hands slid back to rest at the small of DongHae's back before he ducked his head enough to ghost his lips over DongHae's.

Eyes opening at that, DongHae pulled back away from HyunJoong. He looked up at HyunJoong with not a look of confusion, but a small frown. "You have a boyfriend," he said, voice barely audible over the loud music.

"Do I?" HyunJoong replied, meeting DongHae's look. Pulling away, he pushed people out of the way so he could get off the floor. It was getting too crowded and loud for him, he needed a break and headed back to the table.

Watching him go, DongHae sighed and pushed one hand through his hair in frustration before starting to follow. He trailed behind HyunJoong, not sure what to say. What was he supposed to say?

Reaching the VIP room, he opened the door and poked his head in before stepping into the room.

HyunJoong had lain down one of the couches, hands covering his face. He could tell DongHae had returned by the sound of the music growing louder and then becoming muffled again. "I'm sorry," he said, dropping his hands and looking up at the ceiling. "I wasn't planning on kissing you."

"I didn't think so," DongHae frowned, padding over. He sat down in the armchair beside the couch, wringing his fingers together. "Do you want to talk about it? Talking helps, you know."

"I don't know what there is to say DongHae," HyunJoong said, letting out a sigh. "I never imagined that he would be... capable of anything like that. What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know," DongHae looked down. "I could tell you the whole thing about what happened earlier today? Maybe it'll help if you know everything that we know."

"I want to hear everything from the beginning," HyunJoong said, sitting up and looking at him. "Starting from RyeoWook being hurt."

"Oh...so you know Feathers then," DongHae winced, leaning back. "All we know is what KyuHyun's told us...apparently last night he gave SungMin a good zap to stop him from shooting RyeoWook down, and took him back to his apartment when he found out who the wolf was. He said...and I'm hearing this third-hand from KiBum cause I wasn't in the room... that SungMin told him he was an assassin for hire who got a job from someone who wants a bunch of people with abilities dead. SungMin gave KyuHyun a list of target names."

HyunJoong's brow furrowed at that but he nodded. "Why would KyuHyun take SungMin back to his apartment. He can't stand SungMin."

"I don't know," DongHae shook his head. "KiBum didn't say. I guess to get answers? But it sounds like SungMin cooperated. Today, he and KyuHyun showed up at JungMin's house...don't know what to think about that, KiBum thinks everyone else is a bunch of idiots for letting SungMin go, but that's KiBum. KyuHyun said something about some other danger, about how he's not behind the disappearing heroes and that it might be worse...I don't know. Oh, the list. The list SungMin had, who he was supposed to kill. You were the first name on the list, I saw it. People are crossed off starting after you, he skipped your name."

HyunJoong wasn't sure what to make of that, frowning in thought. "Not a lot of this makes sense," he said after a while. "So they let him go. Why?"

"To talk about if they want to trust him and what he's saying, he said he could help us," DongHae looked up at HyunJoong. "KyuHyun trusts him, but no one else does, for obvious reasons...and YoungSaeng's visions are still being blocked by that telepath so there's no way to know if SungMin's telling the truth or not."

"There is another way to make sure SungMin's telling the truth," HyunJoong said, looking at DongHae. "I can make him tell the truth."

"You can...oh." DongHae nodded slowly. "That would work. He can't lie at all in that case, right? Maybe we should all go back to JungMin's so we can do that..."

"Tomorrow, I'm too tired to do anything today," HyunJoong said, shaking his head. "And I'm sure everyone else has had enough excitement for today."

"More than enough," the other man agreed. "I'm sorry to put a dampener on the whole evening...this was a really fun idea to come here."

"It's not your fault," HyunJoong said. "I'm glad you told me. It's better to hear it from a friend then to find out too late. Thank you."

DongHae smiled at that, looking down. "If you're, uh...worried about going back home and he's there...you could always crash at mine and KiBum's place tonight," he offered, rubbing the back of his head. "It's in the university ghettos and not that nice, but at least it's safe."

"I'm not worried about him being there," HyunJoong said. "But, I'm not really looking forward to seeing him in the near future... I think I have somewhere else in mind to go. If you'd like to go with me?"

"Where?" DongHae asked, looking at HyunJoong in confusion.

"Since I don't have any desire to sleep in a bath house, I was thinking a nice hotel with some room service," HyunJoong said, picking up his drink again. "I do appreciate your offer, I just wouldn't be comfortable in your apartment since you have a roommate."

"KiBum wouldn't mind," DongHae frowned lightly, not sure about the offer. "A hotel...just to sleep, right."

"Sleep, swim in the pool, eat the food," HyunJoong smirked. "Nothing more. I'm not that kind of guy."

"Okay," the other man nodded, reassured. "I will pay you back though...you're spending a lot of money on me," he looked down at his drink.

"DongHae, do you have a job besides working for me?" HyunJoong asked, sighing a little.

"No," DongHae frowned, tapping his fingers against the glass.

"Do you really think you'd be able to pay me back for a fraction of what I will have spent tonight?" HyunJoong said, lips quirked slightly. "I'm not saying this to make you feel ashamed or anything, all I'm saying is that I'm willingly spending money on you. I don't spend money on anyone. If I expected for you to pay me back for anything, we wouldn't be at the most expensive club in Hongdae or going to stay at a nice hotel."

"But...it doesn't feel right," DongHae mumbled. "Like I'm spending the money you worked hard for, without giving anything back. Why do you even want to spend so much money on me, anyways? I'm just the guy KyuHyun dragged into work one day. The only kind of work I'm good at is the kind with a paintbrush and a canvas."

"You paint?" HyunJoong blinked at that. "Maybe we should continue this conversation somewhere where the walls aren't vibrating," he suggested, getting to his feet. Holding out his hand to DongHae, he smiled a little. "I'll understand if you'd rather just go home, but I would really like to spend more time with you tonight."

Looking down at the offered hand, DongHae chewed his lower lip for a moment before taking the hand and standing. "I always go home...I don't think KiBum will kill me for spending the night out."

"You could call him and let him know?" HyunJoong suggested, leading him to the door.

"Yeah, I will," DongHae nodded, having to raise his voice as they stepped out into the hallway. "Once we're out of here."

HyunJoong didn't reply, getting them down from the second floor and out of the club without any problems. His car was still parked on the street luckily, HyunJoong opening the door for DongHae before sliding in after him. Telling the driver which hotel he wanted to go to, HyunJoong leaned back and closed his eyes. It was quiet in the car as they rode through the city, HyunJoong trying not to eavesdrop on DongHae who made his call, but frowned when it sounded like KiBum didn't pick up.

"I hope you don't get in trouble again for not getting a hold of him," HyunJoong said, cracking an eye open and looking over at him.

"Nah, I just hope he's okay," DongHae frowned, putting his phone away. "He's probably already sleeping. KiBum wasn't mad last time, at least I don't think he was. He let the others chew me out," he grinned sheepishly.

"They do like to hear themselves talk loudly," HyunJoong chuckled. "It's a myth you know, about villains monologuing. I could never get a word in edgewise between JungMin's loud yelling and KyuHyun's constant taunts."

DongHae laughed loudly at that. "That's funny...they haven't really changed that much then, cause they still do that. KyuJong looks like he's mentally facepalming sometimes."

"KyuJong has always been the more agreeable one," HyunJoong nodded. "There were times when I was sure he was going to jump ship just to get away from them. I tried numerous times to get him to join my cause but... he's loyal to a fault when it comes to JungMin. It's a pity."

"I still think him and JungMin are dating," DongHae folded his arms across his chest. "KyuJong's amazing...he's kinda like the glue that holds the whole group together, huh? And he has really strong ideals."

"KyuJong and JungMin are an old married couple," HyunJoong snorted. "KyuJong is what I would consider to be a true hero. Humble, generous, and doing the right thing at all times. He's also a very kind man, and forgiving. He's one of the few I respect."

"I respect them all, but maybe it's just me," DongHae smiled. "Looked up to them for so long...not just KyuJong, the whole group. One of the first superhero groups in South Korea..."

"Yes they were," HyunJoong nodded, looking out the window. "Have they lived up to your respect though? They are just men in costumes after all."

"So am I," DongHae grinned. "They're men in costumes who risked their lives to keep normal people safe, without anything in return...and inspired others like KiBum and me to work with our abilities for something good instead of hiding them. I can't think of anything more deserving of respect than that."

"But since meeting them, have they done anything to deserve your respect?" HyunJoong asked.

"Of course," the other man frowned. "I don't understand what you're trying to say, HyunJoong. They're great people."

"Not trying to say anything," HyunJoong said quietly. "It's good that your experience with them has been what you hoped it would be."

DongHae watched HyunJoong, confused. "You don't seem happy."

"Happiness is an illusion," HyunJoong said, shrugging slightly. "I was like you once. Bright eyed and eager to help the world... things just don't always go how you would plan."

"I don't understand, you can always help the world if you want to," DongHae replied. "No matter who you are or what you can do."

"You asked me back at the club why I would be willing to spend so much money on you," HyunJoong said, looking at DongHae beside him. "You're the first person I have met who didn't want anything from me. Whether it was my money, my ability, whatever. I appreciate that more than you know."

"Oh," DongHae blinked. "I didn't realize..." He rubbed the back of his head, looking away. "Money isn't that big of a deal. People are more important. I like watching your face when you're talking more than I like drinking a Shirley Temple that's ten times the usual price."

"That wasn't a Shirley Temple," HyunJoong chuckled at that. "But thank you. I like watching your face no matter what you're doing."

DongHae grinned widely. "Next time we go out, I'll pay. I might not be able to bring you to the most expensive places ever, but I know all the best family-owned restaurants around the city, and there's one place where once you try their kimchi jjigae, you'll never be able to eat it anywhere else ever."

"Alright, it's a date," HyunJoong nodded, returning a small smile. The car was slowing to a stop in front of the hotel, HyunJoong opening his door and stepping out first and waiting for DongHae. "What do you think? Get a room at the top? Can see the whole city from up there."

"Oh, sure," DongHae craned his head to see all the way at the top of the hotel as he got out of the car. "The view's gotta be—" his foot got caught between the car and the sidewalk and he fell over with a yelp.

Being next to him, HyunJoong grabbed DongHae's hand before he fell over and broke his head on the pavement. "Are you drunk off of one watered down rum and coke?"

"No," DongHae laughed, straightening again with HyunJoong's help. "My foot was stuck. I get drunk easily, but not that easily."

"Just making sure," HyunJoong chuckled, not letting go of DongHae's hand as they started into the hotel. Checking in was easy enough, the girl at the front desk quickly handing over a room key before HyunJoong even said two words, bowing repeatedly. "Looks like we're getting a city view," he said, looking at DongHae and laughing. "Let me guess, you'd be content to stay here and look at the lobby for a half hour."

"Yes," DongHae was looking around the room with wide eyes. "Oh, look at that painting!" He nearly dragged HyunJoong over to look at the painting, seeming to forget the other man was still holding his hand.

"There's paintings in the room," HyunJoong sighed, though following him over. "And a nice view, and... little bottles of alcohol and snacks."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I guess you want to get a drink," DongHae looked down sheepishly, giving the painting a quick once-over before turning towards the elevators. "That girl looked like she'd seen you come here often."

"I used to," HyunJoong nodded, glancing back at the painting DongHae had been looking at. "Before I met SungMin, I wouldn't bring people back to my apartment. Safer that way in case you get a crazy stalker."

"Ah," DongHae nodded. "You've gotten crazy stalkers?"

"Unfortunately," HyunJoong made a face as they entered the elevator. "Super heroes have fans who ask for autographs and pictures. Villains have stalkers who ask for blood samples and locks of hair."

DongHae visibly shuddered. "That's disgusting. What would they even do with...I probably don't want to know."

"Neither do I," HyunJoong said, his nose wrinkled slightly. "And people considered us villains to be crazy... I had nothing on some of the people I ran into. Between the kid who was convinced he was the anti-christ and that one lady who wanted me to father her children to make a team of unstoppable super villains... I really don't miss being in the public eye."

"I can understand that," DongHae looked spooked. He watched the elevator doors close and the numbers start to rise. "Did you ever think about...I don't know, being a hero instead?"

HyunJoong's eyes lowered, lips quirking as he thought of how to answer that. "Sometimes, your life goes down a path that you aren't sure how you got on. There was never a point in which I thought that I wanted to be a hero, or be a villain. It just... happened."

"Oh," DongHae watched him sadly. "I'm sorry for asking. I don't see you as a bad guy though."

"I am though, whether you see it that way or not," HyunJoong said. "I'm a vain, selfish . Have been for a long time. You've only seen my nice side DongHae. Don't think that just because I spend a little time with you that you can see the good in me. You haven't known me that long."

"Just because you might be those things doesn't mean you're a bad guy," DongHae shrugged. "I can usually tell," he grinned at HyunJoong.

"This is one of those things that I always hated about heroes," HyunJoong frowned, squaring his shoulders. "Does it ever occur to you DongHae, that not everyone has a bit of good in them? That there are some people out there that aren't nice at all?"

"Well, I guess there has to be some people like that," DongHae nodded. "I just don't think you're one of them."

"I'm not as nice as you think," HyunJoong said, stepping off the elevator when the doors opened. "I'm nice when it suits me."

DongHae frowned at HyunJoong's back before letting it go with a sigh, following him off the elevator. "So this is the top floor? We're high up."

"Not the very top floor, but close enough," HyunJoong said, going to the end of the hall. Opening the door with the key, he let DongHae go in first. "And yes, the view is amazing."

DongHae walked into the room, eyes widening at the large windows across one wall. "Wow." He went straight to the window to look outside, trying to peer down at the cars on the street far below.

HyunJoong made a stop at the minibar to make himself a drink before joining DongHae at the window. "Sort of makes you feel like a god up here, watching all the tiny people down below."

"I was thinking more like a bird," DongHae chuckled, smiling widely. "Flying around above everything without a care in the world."

"I'm sure a psychiatrist somewhere would have something to say about our different answers," HyunJoong smirked. "Drink?"

"Uh...sure," DongHae chuckled, stepping back away from the window to go get one. "Do they have just soju?"

"... I'm sure there is some," HyunJoong nodded, sitting down in one of the chairs and watching him. "For someone who says they have no alcohol tolerance, are you sure you want to start with soju?"

"I'll drink it slowly, not like before," DongHae laughed sheepishly. Finding a bottle and going back to the windows, he blinked when he saw a section of lights go out. "Hey, there's an outage over there."

"Hm?" HyunJoong turned a little and looked over his shoulder out the window. "That's... odd. Isn't that... That's near JungMin's house."

"It is?" DongHae got as close to the window as he could without bumping his nose against it, frowning. "There's no storm or anything."

"Which makes it strange," HyunJoong said, frowning slightly. "The power grid in Seoul was upgraded a long time ago, there shouldn't be any blackouts."

"Should we call and see if they're okay?" DongHae looked back at HyunJoong, fishing out his cell phone.

"Up to you," HyunJoong shrugged, sipping at his drink. "If you're worried about them, call.'

Trying KiBum first, DongHae sighed when there was still no answer. He only had JungMin's house phone, and that was clearly not working. "I hope they're okay..." he looked out across the city.

 

 


 

 

I found this and it's so cute I have to share /deprived

 

Thank you to SSitinurain for upvoting the story! :D

Please subscribe, comment and/or upvote if you liked the chapter!

 

For those also reading Spirit Wars, no update this week :( This weekend killed me. I just barely remembered to update here before going to sleep. A return to your regular weekly updates next week!

 

@Forever5501: >////< LOL Joined effort! Kat is finally listed as a co-author here =D

@Forest_pixi: Lol it's interesting for me reading the difference in the comments (towards SungMin) from the beginning of the story to the end xD And I haven't heard of those authors...you might have to link me~~ Especially if they write SuJu, SS501 or EXO. Because EXO feels all over the place.

@katiemae01: JungMin misses his crazy precog hobo too ;) Except for the writing on the walls part. And if anyone can help KiBum, it's Center Kyu. Thanks for the comment bb~!!