Goldfish and Shade

The Sworn

 

chapter four                    
✧✦Goldfish and Shade✦✧


The following morning, the rush to work downtown was brought to a screeching halt. What had started out as a botched mugging attempt quickly escalated as the police intervened and the muggers took off in a stolen car. Pedestrians scattered as the cars raced through the streets, horns and sirens blaring.

The chase lasted a block before the stolen car lost control and slammed into a lamp post, bringing it down and sending screams into the air as people ran from the shattered glass.

On a rooftop overlooking the scene below, KyuHyun sighed a little, shaking his head. "Well that didn't take long. Guess they don't teach criminals, how to drive anymore." There wasn't much left to do, the robbers being hauled out of the smashed vehicle by the police.

That was before gunshots rang out, the officers closest to the car dropping. The robbers were yelling for the cops to get back, two of the three waving guns around. The third was trying to start the car again.

A young woman nearby had nearly been caught by the falling lamp post, sitting on the ground shaking. One of the robbers pointed his gun at her, yelling for her to get to the car. Clearly in shock, she didn't move, screaming when he fired a warning shot before shakily getting to her feet.

There was a flash of gold, someone dropping down from an overhead balcony and landing in front of the woman. "Drop your weapons!" He declared loudly, pointing at the robbers.

The new arrival looked like he'd come straight from an anime convention, face masked and giant clockwork wings trimmed with gold flared out behind him. He looked like he'd have trouble fitting through doors with that on. His whole outfit from his vest to his shoes was black with bright spots of reflective gold.

"Down on the ground!" The robber yelled. When the costumed man stepped forward, a gunshot rang out. The costumed man dropped.

With all attention on the stranger, no one saw shadowy tendrils claw up into the stolen car. They wrapped around the robbers and dragged the men out of the car before anyone could blink, pinning them to the ground.

KyuHyun shook his head, not sure what to make of what he'd just seen. Another new super hero group? There were getting to be too many these days, even if some of them didn't last long. Crossing his arms, he waited.

Down below, the robbers were struggling against the shadows pinning them down. The darkness seemed to fold over on top of them, keeping them eagle-spread and unable to move their hands, feet, or even heads.

Then the gold-wearing guy who had apparently been shot in the forehead stood up, dusted himself off, and walked over to them triumphantly. "We warned you," he grinned, plucking the guns out of their hands and removing the cartridges. "They're all yours, officers!" he called.

The police rushed forward to arrest the men. A human-shaped shadow slowly rose off the ground before dissipating to show another strange man, this one dressed less outlandishly compared to his winged companion. A wide-brimmed hat pulled low and bandana over his mouth and nose concealed his identity, blue capelet resting over his shoulders.

Nudging the winged man who was trying to chat with the police officers, he turned and walked away. The other man huffed before following him.

KyuHyun almost just left at that point, but since he hadn't met these two before he wanted to know who they were. Reaching down, he touched a electrical cable that was attached to the building. A slight pop and he disappeared.

Near where the two heroes were walking away, a transformer on a pole blew, sending a shower of sparks to the ground. KyuHyun stood up, brushing his jacket off. "So, who are you?"

The man with wings jumped back a foot at the sudden appearance. "Woah!"

His companion didn't look very surprised, or maybe that was just because most of his face was hidden. "What is it to you?" he asked, looking KyuHyun up and down and taking in the black costume.

"You don't know us?" asked the winged man, recovering quickly. "We're the Sworn, kicking evil butts!"

"No you're not," KyuHyun scowled. "That name's already taken."

"I thought the Sworn was inactive?" the winged man blinked. "I mean, when was the last time they were in the news?"

"Just because they're not making headlines doesn't mean they're inactive," KyuHyun bristled. "Find your own name, and stop trying to live on someone's elses accomplishments."

"Why does it bother you?" asked the one with the hat, arms folded across his chest. "If anything, we're improving the public's view on them. Let me guess... you must be Slipstream."

"Oh! You are?" The winged man brightened. "So you're Sworn too? That's so cool, you were like my idol!"

"You're not Sworn, got it?" KyuHyun said. "There's only six sworn, and there only ever be six. So if I hear you're still using our name, I'll be coming to look for you."

"Then I guess we'll be seeing you next time we make news," the winged man grinned, completely ignoring the threat. "I'm Goldfish, and grumpy here is Shade, it's fantastic to meet you! Does that mean you're still active? What about the others, Fractal? Nova? Maximum?"

"Obviously I'm still active, or I wouldn't be telling you to use a different name," KyuHyun said in exasperation. He didn't want to talk about the others, or even hint that he was the only active member left.

"That didn't answer my question," Goldfish frowned. "We don't want to use a different name though. I mean, you guys were amazing, I wanted to join ages ago but you went MIA before I could find you."

"Look, I'm still using it, what makes you think that's okay?" KyuHyun said, crossing his arms. "You two didn't take the oath that we did, you aren't real Sworn members."

"How could we take the oath, we don't know what it was," Goldfish looked unhappy. "We're all on the same side, aren't we?"

"Come on, he's just pissed we're doing a better job than he is alone," Shade murmured to Goldfish, hooking his arm around the other man's shoulders and steering him around KyuHyun.

"Yah, I could run circles around the both of you," KyuHyun called after them. The thing was, they were right. KyuHyun didn't like working alone. He wished he had a partner.

By the time he got back to JungMin's place to let him know what he'd found out, he was thoroughly depressed as he knocked on the door.

JungMin unlocked the door, peeking out. "Oh, hey KyuHyun." He closed the door to remove the chain, pulling it open again and stepping aside. "What's with the long face, that guy been after you at work again?"

"No," KyuHyun said curtly, stepping through. "I found out who's been using our name. Two punks called the Blowfish and the Shape... or something. Didn't even know I was still around and just took our name."

Blinking after him, JungMin closed and locked the door. "Uh...okay. Well in their defense, I hadn't even heard the name Sworn in the news for ages."

"So? Maybe I don't feel like I need to get myself on the front page of the paper all the time," KyuHyun said, starting for the back of the house. "I mean, I'm just one person, I have things to do, I have a job so I can pay for things. I can't live off the adoration of the public you know?"

JungMin followed after him. "No one's saying you do. You're right to be focusing on the other stuff. I don't get why you're still active."

"Because I took an oath to protect the city," KyuHyun said, glancing over his shoulder. "Someone should at least try to keep that oath even if no one else is."

"I lost track of how many groups made a similar oath," JungMin frowned, glancing around the living room. "Hey, Kyu!" he called into the kitchen. "Sparky's got news for us. Where's YoungSaeng?"

"Don't call me that," KyuHyun grumbled, flopping down into a chair.

"What do you mean where's YoungSaeng?" KyuJong said, appearing in the kitchen doorway. "I thought he was out here with you. Hi KyuHyun."

"He was," JungMin frowned, looking around the living room. Where had the crazy man gone now? Sighing loudly, he turned towards the stairs and headed up. "YoungSaeng?" he called. "You better not be writing on anything."

"... Did you leave one of the upstairs windows open?" KyuJong said, following him up. "I think he's on the roof."

"Hey, important information to share here!" KyuHyun called after them. "Limited time offer!"

"The roof? Sorry KyuHyun, information can wait until the hobo's out of danger." JungMin ran up the stairs, making his way to the bedroom where, sure enough, one of the windows was wide open.

He poked his head out. "YoungSaeng? Are you up here?"

"Hi," YoungSaeng was standing at the edge, glancing over his shoulder at JungMin and waving. "Felt like flying. You want to fly with me?"

"Uh, no, and you aren't either." JungMin climbed out of the window onto the portion of roof level with the bedroom. "Come on, back inside, Sparky's got information for us."

"I know," YoungSaeng said. "He met the fish and the shadow. Didn't go well, wasn't going to go well. Would have gone well the first time but he missed it. Tell the fragile one not to come out, it's okay that he's afraid of heights."

"Oh." JungMin blinked, glancing over his shoulder at KyuJong who was by the window. "Uh...why don't you go keep KyuHyun company, I'll bring him back downstairs."

"You sure?" KyuJong looked up at him at that, but he looked a little relieved. "Okay, just be careful."

"I didn't want him to fall," YoungSaeng said, sitting down at the edge. "You won't fall, unless I push you. I don't want to push you."

"Good, I don't really want to be pushed either." JungMin walked over to him, frowning lightly. After a moment he sat down beside YoungSaeng. "So what are you doing up here?"

"Missed the sun, and the clouds," YoungSaeng said, taking in a deep breath. "Fresh air... helps me focus. I'm not going to jump if that's what you're worried about."

"That was a concern. It's nice hearing you talk in full sentences." JungMin looked up at the clouds overhead. "Just let me know whenever you want to come up here, okay? It saves running around the house thinking you got your head stuck somewhere."

"That was once... I think," YoungSaeng said, wrinkling his nose a little. "I make you worry, shouldn't have to worry about me. Wasn't always like this... will get better."

"Yeah, we'll find some way to help you out," JungMin nodded.  "Don't worry about it. I'm sorry if I, uh...sometimes get frustrated at you and yell. I'm not used to having anyone else around besides Kyu, and he comes and goes pretty fast."

"He'll always be there for you though," YoungSaeng said, glancing over at him. "When the darkness comes, he'll be your only light."

JungMin looked to YoungSaeng, brow furrowed. "You're really convinced we're going to have to get involved with this, huh. There's no other way."

"Any other way, and the darkness wins," YoungSaeng said, smiling sadly. "I've seen what lies at the heart of the darkness, and it terrifies me."

"What lies at the heart of the darkness? What's that?" JungMin asked quietly.

YoungSaeng looked away, back up at the clouds. "Nothing. No future, no pain... no love. Everything, gone."

The redhead frowned. "Hey...we'll work on it, okay?" He placed his hand lightly on YoungSaeng's shoulder. "We'll figure out who's causing this, and how to stop it."

At that, YoungSaeng smiled, putting his hand over JungMin's and looking at him. "Yes, now you will," he said, his grin growing until his eyes nearly disappeared.

JungMin blinked at YoungSaeng in bemusement, but figured if the precog was happy then it was fine. "You want to head back inside?" he asked after a long moment of just enjoying the light breeze.

"Yes, unless you want KyuHyun to leave before we do," YoungSaeng said. "Which I don't think is a good idea."

"No, he'll probably be more pissed than usual," JungMin sighed loudly. He stood up, offering a hand. "Whenever you want to come up here and clear your head, just let me know, okay?"

"Tomorrow, after lunch," YoungSaeng said, accepting the hand up. "Before lunch and you'll fall off."

Pulling YoungSaeng up, JungMin raised an eyebrow at him. "Uh...okay. I'll take your word for it." Turning, he headed towards the window and climbed back into the house.

YoungSaeng looked out at the sky for a moment longer before following JungMin in. Back downstairs, KyuHyun was looking surly as ever and KyuJong wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"You're lucky, I was just about to leave," KyuHyun grumbled, flicking dust off of his jacket. "KyuJong said something about YoungSaeng wanting to jump off the roof and went to go hyperventilate somewhere."

"He wasn't jumping," JungMin sighed loudly. "Okay, I'll go find him, Kyu!" He headed towards the first floor bathroom, door closed as he thought it would be. "Kyu, you can come out, he's fine," he knocked on the door.

"He is?" KyuJong opened the door a crack, peering out at him. "Oh... okay, good. I thought... We should really tie him down so he doesn't end up giving us heart attacks. You didn't leave him with KyuHyun did you?"

"Yes I did, so you're going to have to come out," JungMin quirked a smile at him through the crack in the door. "He said fresh air helps him clear his head, he wasn't going to jump."

"Oh, well that's good," KyuJong said, opening the door wider. "I guess I'm not as good in life or death situations as I used to be. Sorry."

Frowning lightly, JungMin shook his head. "No need to apologize. Come on, you feeling better?" He stepped closer.

"I am, thank you," KyuJong chuckled, patting JungMin's cheek. "Will you fill me in later on what he said up there?"

"Of course," JungMin smiled widely, getting out of the way so KyuJong could get out of the bathroom. They headed back to the living room, the redhead dropping into a seat. "Okay, now that everyone's present and accounted for...what happened exactly, KyuHyun?"

KyuHyun was eyeing YoungSaeng warily, the precog humming to himself as he paced around the edge of the room. "Okay... well I was on my way to stop a high speed chase but the driver crashed into a pole. Thought the police would handle it then the suspects started firing on everyone. Was this close to stepping in and these two idiots show up out of nowhere. They took care of the robbers and so I went to have a talk with them."

"The fish and the shadow," YoungSaeng interjected. "Old, and new Sworn."

"...Yeah, thanks," KyuHyun rolled his eyes. "They told me they were the Sworn, and took the name because no one was using it. Wouldn't give it up either even after I told them I was still active."

"Not going to," YoungSaeng said. "They are the new, they'll help, have to help."

JungMin leaned back in the chair, frowning. "Okay...so you've been seeing them in whatever's going to happen in the future," he glanced at YoungSaeng. "I'm not sure about them being new Sworn, but if they're involved, then what's our next step? Contacting them?"

"Not necessary," YoungSaeng shook his head. "Will find you, must take the oath. Not Sworn yet, should be."

"No," KyuHyun scowled. "Absolutely not, they are not, and never will be part of the Sworn."

"Why not?" JungMin asked, glancing at KyuJong to see his opinion. "You're the only one active, I don't see how more help would be a bad thing."

"... I don't want them part of our group," KyuHyun said. "It's ours."

"That doesn't mean we can't have more," KyuJong said, sitting down on the arm of JungMin's chair. "And YoungSaeng seems pretty clear on that we're going to need their help."

"That's the only way this is going to work?" JungMin asked YoungSaeng. "If they join the Sworn and take the oath?"

YoungSaeng nodded. "Must be Sworn, must work together. So many paths, only one correct." He looked to JungMin with a sad smile. "All Sworn must help, work together."

JungMin's lips thinned and he looked down before returning his gaze to KyuHyun. "It's decided then. We're going to have to work with them, so next time one of us runs into them, we're going to have to bring them into the Sworn properly."

".... What? Are you kidding me?" KyuHyun couldn't believe what he was hearing. "We're going to let two amateurs join us because of what this nut job says?"

"KyuHyun you were an amateur yourself once," KyuJong said with a frown. "What YoungSaeng sees happens. If he says it has to happen then it has to happen. Despite what we want."

"We're all going to have to do things we don't exactly want to do." JungMin folded his arms over his chest, frowning. "If whatever this 'darkness' he's seeing is as bad as it sounds, I don't want him to have to say 'I told you so' for not listening to him. What were the names of those two new guys again?"

"I don't know, Blowfish or something," KyuHyun said, grumbling irritably like a petulant child.

"No," YoungSaeng said, frowning a little. "Goldfish, and the Shade. You'll see them again soon.... when the wolf rears up."

"Wolf?" JungMin blinked. "Is this some other hero we have to watch out for?"

"Not a hero," YoungSaeng said, shivering a little. "A wolf in sheeps clothing... not trust, never trust. Looking for me... can kill me... does kill me."

"We're not going to let anyone hurt you," KyuJong said, watching YoungSaeng worriedly. "You just have to tell us how to keep him from you."

"And no one's gonna get you in here," JungMin nodded, stretching his arms. "We'll be ready for whatever happens. You going to behave if you see them again, KyuHyun?"

"Can't I just send them to you so you guys can talk to them?" KyuHyun sulked. "I don't want to talk to them."

"You're acting a little ridiculous," KyuJong said.

"You're going to have to talk to them to get them here anyways," JungMin rolled his eyes.

"Apparently not by choice," KyuHyun replied, narrowing his eyes at YoungSaeng. "I don't get it, if he can see the future then why doesn't he just tell us what we have to do so we can go do it?"

"Because it doesn't work that way," KyuJong shook his head. "He only interprets what he sees as best he can."

"And we're sure he interpreted these two clowns joining us correctly?" KyuHyun looked between JungMin and KyuJong. "What about Nova? And Dust?"

"He hasn't said anything about them yet," JungMin frowned, glancing at YoungSaeng before turning to KyuJong. "What do you think, should we contact them anyway?" He didn't appear that comfortable with the idea.

"I don't know, maybe we should at least make them aware of what's going on," KyuJong said, not appearing that comfortable either.

"Sunshine and the star, maybe," YoungSaeng said, though he looked troubled. "Depends, situations. Unclear."

"Well, that at least I understood," JungMin rolled his eyes. "Unless you can tell us exactly what to do to avoid getting them involved, we might have to at least warn them," he sighed, looking at KyuJong. "Neither of you still talk to them?"

"I haven't talked to them in years," KyuHyun said, looking unhappy.

"... I haven't heard from Dust in a few months, but I still occasionally talk to Nova," KyuJong said. "She has a real good life now, she doesn't want to be in any of this."

"Make that four of us," JungMin shook his head. "Can we meet up with her then, and Dust if you can get a hold of her? At least let them know something's going down, even if they're not involved they might appreciate the warning."

"I'll see what I can do," KyuJong said. "No promises."

"Okay, so what do we do in the meantime?" KyuHyun asked, folding his arms over his chest.

"I think what you should do in the meantime, KyuHyun, is find those other two," KyuJong said. "It's the only thing YoungSaeng has been pretty clear about."

"Once you find them, bring them back here," JungMin continued. "We'll have to fill them in on a lot, as well as the Oath."

"... For the record, I don't want to," KyuHyun said, still looking unhappy. "If there's nothing else, I'm going to go back to work so I can get harassed by someone else."

"Why do you still work there if it bothers you so much?" KyuJong asked, watching KyuHyun get to his feet.

"Because I don't think HyunJoong is as on the straight and narrow as he pretends to be," KyuHyun said. "I mean, what if he's involved in this?"

"Shouldn't trust, shouldn't trust him..." YoungSaeng said, sitting down on the floor. "Never trust... except when you can, then you should."

"....Well, that made no sense whatsoever," JungMin said blandly. He stood up to lock the door after KyuHyun. "I wouldn't trust that guy as far as I could throw him. And I still think you should zap his boytoy."

"If I get the chance, I will," KyuHyun muttered, leading the way down the hall. He had his shoes on and the door opened when he glanced over his shoulder at JungMin. "So... does this mean we're a team again?"

JungMin's lips thinned slightly, and he looked away. "I'm still inactive. But for this problem...I guess we're a team again."

"Active, inactive whatever," KyuHyun smirked, clapping a hand on JungMin's shoulder. "Does this mean I get to be the leader then?"

"Since when were you the leader?" JungMin cuffed KyuHyun off the head. "You get to argue with KyuJong about that. At least you'll have seniority over the new guys, magnae."

"Some seniority," KyuHyun wrinkled his nose. "You two will still treat me like a kid."

"But you'll have people to boss around, so it all works out," JungMin smirked. "Scram, you're letting the bugs in."

"Yeah yeah, I'm going," KyuHyun waved, closing the door.

 

 

 

It was past 'late night' and into 'early morning' before the door to HyunJoong's penthouse opened, SungMin slipping inside. He closed the door quietly, locking it again behind him: there was no telling if HyunJoong was asleep or not, and he probably was with work the next morning.

The door opening roused HyunJoong from where he had fallen asleep on the couch. He'd been watching a movie while waiting for SungMin to come home and had drifted off at some point. Rubbing at his eyes, he sat up and looked towards the door. "You're late," he grumbled.

"Yeah, sorry," SungMin chuckled. He kicked off his shoes and dropped his bag before heading into the living room. "What are you doing out here?"

"I was waiting for you," HyunJoong said, holding out his hand to SungMin. "Didn't mean to fall asleep though. Where were you?"

"Shopping," SungMin beamed, taking HyunJoong's hand and climbing onto the couch. "They had an all-night sale."

HyunJoong raised an eyebrow at that, glancing over to where SungMin had dropped off his bag and back to him. "But you didn't buy anything. That's not like you."

"Their clothes were ugly, who comes up with this trends?" SungMin sprawled out against HyunJoong, chin against his shoulder.

"You're asking the wrong person," HyunJoong said. He lifted a hand to lightly frame SungMin's cheek before trailing his hand down to close around his throat, not enough to choke him but still had good hold. "If I find out you're lying to me, things will not be pleasant."

"Guess we have nothing to worry about," SungMin made a face at the hand around his throat. "I'm a black belt remember, you'll have to do a little better than that to scare me."

"You'd hurt me?" HyunJoong snorted, rolling them over so he had SungMin pinned under him. "You sure about that? I thought you were the one who liked being hurt."

SungMin smirked up at Hyun. "I have to remind you I'm not a complacent sheep every now and then...you might get bored."

"I don't really know why I let you test me as much as you do," HyunJoong said, dragging his fingers down SungMin's chest. "You're rude, willful, and spend my money like it's yours. Explain to me why I let you get away with it?"

"Because you want a challenge," SungMin mused, reaching up and trailing a finger down HyunJoong's jawline. "Something which I'm more than happy to provide. Or maybe just because I'm good in bed, I haven't figured out which it is yet."

"If I want a good lay all I have to do is pay for it," HyunJoong said, pulling back and sitting up. "And I'm used to getting my way, why would I want a challenge?"

SungMin sat up as well. "Getting your way all the time is boring," he pressed kisses to HyunJoong's neck, fingers playing with HyunJoong's collar. That was before he flipped the tables on the other man, hands pushing HyunJoong onto his back so he could straddle his waist. SungMin looked about as strong as a twig, but the designer clothes hid a well-muscled and sturdy body.

Being pushed down didn't seem to faze HyunJoong, smirking a little up at SungMin. "Maybe I like boring?" he said, putting his hands behind his head. "Always being in control, knowing exactly what I want and how to get it. Isn't that what everyone wants?"

"That's what boring people want." SungMin ducked his head down, brushing his lips against HyunJoong's ear. "You're a man of excitement, who likes pushing his boundaries. You aren't content with what you have, you want more." He nipped lightly at HyunJoong's ear. "Kim HyunJoong is far from boring."

"And how would you know what I really want?" HyunJoong murmured. "You're just here for my money, and the . Or do you like throwing my ordered world into chaos?"

"Chaos is my specialty." SungMin kissed along HyunJoong's neck. "And I think you like it, or I wouldn't be here right now."

"Maybe I just like the ," HyunJoong grunted. There may have been more to it, but HyunJoong had a hard time thinking clearly when SungMin was working those lips against his skin in that way he liked.

SungMin chuckled, fingers smoothing out HyunJoong's shirt. "Does that mean I should be making up for my late arrival?" He bit down just above HyunJoong's collar bone.

HyunJoong hissed, but he didn't pull away. "Yes, I'll be late to work tomorrow because of you," he said, bringing a hand up to wind into SungMin's hair, fingers pulling hard. "You have a lot to make up for."

The other man winced at the hair-pulling, chuckling. "Then I guess I better get started." He drew himself back up and kissed HyunJoong hard.

Returning the kiss, HyunJoong's arms went around SungMin's waist, pushing up on the others shirt with one hand and squeezing his with the other. There was never a great deal of romanticism when it came to their time together. They knew what they wanted from each other and the best way to get it.