Dominoes Falling

The Sworn


chapter eleven                 
✧✦Dominoes Falling✦✧

 

'Most of the time' was pretty accurate, JungMin would have said. He and YoungSaeng were out on the roof again though, waiting for the others to come back after work, and the fresh air did seem to do wonders for the precog. If it weren't for the threat of an assassin after him, JungMin would have suggested camping out longer.

"We should get inside," he stood, dusting off his pants. "They'll be back soon, and we don't need KyuJong having another panic attack." That and it was getting dark out.

"He'll stop worrying soon," YoungSaeng said, though it didn't look like he was moving quite yet. "The shadow will just fall deeper and deeper."

"The shadow, you mean KiBum?" JungMin frowned down at him, arms folded across his chest against the chill in the air. "You wanna repeat that?"

"Sun's setting, shadows fall," YoungSaeng blinked at him before hopping up to his feet. "It's too cold out tonight. And your coat smells," he wrinkled his nose and started for the window.

"Yah! Nothing's wrong with my coat," JungMin grumbled, following him. "You're infuriating sometimes, you know that?"

"I think you said that already," YoungSaeng pointed out when he was halfway in the window. "... I think you did. Or maybe that's tomorrow... or you'll say it again tomorrow and already have said it before this. Your coat smells like smoke."

"Smoke? My coat smells nothing like smoke," JungMin frowned, following him inside. He closed and locked the window, sniffing his coat absently. No smoke. "We need to work more on keeping your attention here."

"My attention is here," YoungSaeng wrinkled his nose at him. "Oh, he's home... the fish is sad. Need to... the talker," YoungSaeng leaned up against the wall, closing his eyes and rubbing at his head. "Fish... the talker... pink... danger."

"Hey, relax okay?" JungMin said quietly, stepping up in front of YoungSaeng and wrapping one arm around his shoulders. "Look at me Saeng."

Looking up slowly, YoungSaeng opened his eyes to meet JungMin's. "Sometimes... it's so clear I can see the sky and the stars all around me. I can fly. But the clouds, they get in the way and so many voices and faces... the words, the words get all scrabbled. Be nice to Medusa."

"....Medusa," JungMin scowled a little at that, before focusing his attention back on YoungSaeng. "We're going to work on that, okay? You'll be fine. Come on, let's go see who's here." He'd heard the door opening downstairs. JungMin took YoungSaeng's hands, squeezing them lightly.

"I already said they were here," YoungSaeng blinked but nodded. "They saw the little bird... so cute and fluffy." He leaned in closer to whisper, "you were right about the panic attack."

"Min? Are you here?" KyuJong was calling up the stairs. "You'd better not be up on that roof again!"

Shaking his head, JungMin gave a long-suffering sigh. "C'mon. We're not Kyu, we're coming down," he called out into the hallway, stepping out and heading towards the stairs. He pulled YoungSaeng after him by the hand. Downstairs, he saw KyuJong and KiBum. "Hey. YoungSaeng says you saw HeeChul and RyeoWook."

"I did, HeeChul says hi," KyuJong chuckled, sitting down on one of the couches and leaning back. "They know even less than we do, but they'll keep an eye out. How were things here?"

"The roof is cold," YoungSaeng said matter of factly. "And his coat smells like smoke."

"I thought we were pretending not to be on the roof," JungMin rolled his eyes, nudging YoungSaeng lightly. "And it does not smell like smoke, do you smell smoke on this?" He held up his sleeve to YoungSaeng's nose.

YoungSaeng smelled the coat, shaking his head. "I didn't say it does now," he said, sniffing indignantly as he wandered over to the tv.

"I see you two are getting along better," KyuJong smiled. "How... is he?"

"I think he's getting better..." JungMin frowned, going to drop down onto the couch next to KyuJong. KiBum had taken up a chair on the other side of the room. "He's still having a lot of trouble staying in the present though, I think he thought it was DongHae and KyuHyun coming back, not you guys."

"Maybe I should come over tomorrow, and work with him for a while," KyuJong said, his forehead knitting slightly. "He has information we need, but getting him to focus long enough for details hasn't been easy. Has he said anything useful today?"

"He's said a bunch of things that could be useful if we could just figure out what he was saying..." JungMin frowned at the back of YoungSaeng's head. There was a knock on the door and he stood again to unlock it.

"There you two are." JungMin looked between DongHae and KyuHyun, glad to see DongHae was in one piece as he stepped aside to let them in. The other man looked slightly depressed, shuffling in with his head down. "You already give him the talk about not wandering off with supervillains, KyuHyun?"

"Yes, and now he's being all sullen about it," KyuHyun said, pushing past JungMin into the living area. "Can you please tell him I'm not just being mean?"

"Mean," YoungSaeng spoke up, turning the volume up on the tv.

"Not helpful YoungSaeng," KyuJong sighed. "Do you understand what we're trying to say though DongHae?"

"I get it, yeah," DongHae mumbled, shuffling to where KiBum was. "I get it, so tell him to stop ignoring me."

"The silent treatment is your usual punishment, I think," KiBum said, though he just looked relieved DongHae was okay, pulling the older man to sit down beside him. DongHae mumbled something back, slouching down in the seat.

"I don't like people that get me in trouble," KyuHyun said, crossing his arms. "Especially when it wasn't my fault."

"You left him alone," KyuJong said reprovingly. "So yes, it was your fault."

KyuHyun looked like he wanted to retort but was cut off when YoungSaeng let out a loud cry, the precog hitting the screen on the tv. "No! No! Not the sheep!"

"Now what?" JungMin stepped up behind YoungSaeng and pulled him away from the tv before the precog could break it. "I know we said no punching people, but I don't want my stuff broken either. What sheep?"

YoungSaeng looked up at JungMin with wide, terrified eyes. "The sheep... danger. So close, close..." his eyes flickered to KyuHyun, scowling at him. "The sheep!"

"He said something about a sheep yesterday," KyuJong frowned. "You have any idea what that's supposed to mean?" he looked at KyuHyun who shrugged.

"The sheep, shattered one," YoungSaeng's gaze went back up to JungMin. "So close to the talker... in danger."

"The talker...you mentioned that just a few minutes ago," JungMin frowned, trying to remember. "Something about the talker, and pink?"

"Pink?" KiBum heard DongHae mumble, the older man chewing on his thumb and staring into space.

"Maybe you should start writing these down Min," KyuJong said. "Or record him. Does any of that make sense to anyone?"

"He said the talker yesterday, I think it was for HyunJoong," KyuHyun said. "That's all I can make sense of."

JungMin nodded slightly, standing and heading off into another room. He returned with a piece of paper and a pencil, jotting down names. "Okay...so we have the talker, who we're pretty sure is HyunJoong. Then there's this sheep he keeps talking about, the wolf, the darkness...he's referring to HeeChul as Medusa and RyeoWook as a bird, that was all I was able to get from him earlier."

"It's obvious when he's talking about any of us, I don't think you need to write down our names," KyuJong said. "What did he say about HeeChul and RyeoWook?"

"Just to be nice to Medusa, and that you met RyeoWook," JungMin rolled his eyes. "it was the easiest thing to figure out, but doesn't tell us anything new."

"Be nice to HeeChul?" KyuJong snorted at that. "Not like you'll be spending much time with him."

"Medusa will need to hide," YoungSaeng said, climbing up and wrapping his arms around JungMin's neck. "Shattered one protects us."

"Gack," JungMin flailed and wrapped one arm around YoungSaeng as he regained his balance. "I'm what? Wait, you mean he's coming here?" JungMin blinked at YoungSaeng repeatedly.

KiBum folded his arms across his chest, thinking. "So he will be targeted by the killer, most likely."

"And come here? Why?" JungMin looked between the others, balking at his house being invaded by more people.

Taking JungMin's cheeks in both hands, YoungSaeng pulled the man's face around to look at him again. "JungMin, protects."

"I don't think you're getting a choice in the matter," KyuJong chuckled. "Looks like it's time to finally clean that basement of yours out."

JungMin made a face at YoungSaeng, pulling his face away and clasping the precog's hands lightly. "I don't even know what's in there, that'll take a week to clean up. Shouldn't we be focusing on, I don't know, warning HeeChul so he can get out of the city or something?"

"No," YoungSaeng said, pulling his hands out of JungMin's. "The wolf will find. Must happen JungMin."

"To be fair, YoungSaeng hasn't said when," KyuJong pointed out. "Could be months from now."

"That still means it's going to happen," JungMin frowned, looking down at YoungSaeng. "Can you give us a time range, YoungSaeng? Some idea of when this is going to happen?"

"Bird’s wings are clipped, the sparkle cries," YoungSaeng said. "The wolf will circle closer."

"Something happens to RyeoWook is all I got out of that," KyuHyun said. "That before or after the darkness?"

"Before," YoungSaeng huffed, though he looked like he was trying to focus, eyes locked on JungMin. "Things in order, have to happen in that order. Sometimes, don't know until it starts... like dominoes fall."

JungMin frowned, not breaking YoungSaeng's gaze. "So...something's going to happen that'll set all this off," he said slowly. "Do you know what it is that starts everything? What's the first domino to fall, YoungSaeng."

"When the fish speaks, turns the talker," YoungSaeng said. "When we are betrayed."

"So...DongHae's going to set this off," JungMin said quietly, glancing towards where DongHae was still slumped into the couch, staring into space and not listening to what was going on. KiBum frowned at that, glancing at the older man and nudging him lightly.

"Huh?" DongHae glanced up at KiBum, looking towards the others.

"He says you're going to betray us," KyuHyun said, narrowing his eyes. "I knew bringing you two in was a bad idea. How you going to do it huh? Set HyunJoong on us?"

"KyuHyun, stop," KyuJong sighed. "We don't know enough of what YoungSaeng's seeing to interpret it that way."

"What? I wouldn't betray you," DongHae's eyes widened. "I'm trying to help, I've always just been trying to help!" KiBum put one hand on his shoulder to calm him.

"We can't go around accusing each other like this," JungMin scowled, letting go of YoungSaeng to pace. "Besides, he sees possibilities of the future, right? Not always definite things."

"Not definite, unless it is," YoungSaeng said, following JungMin around as he paced. "Fixed points, like stars, guide."

"He gives me a headache," KyuHyun rubbed his hands over his face. "You know what, when you people figure out what it is we're supposed to do with his gibberish, can you let me know? Because I can't stand to listen to him for that long before I want to kill myself."

"If you'd stop complaining long enough, he's saying that there are some things in the future that can't change and have to happen." JungMin looked back at YoungSaeng, expression unreadable. "Which doesn't make me feel any better about this if this isn't something we can stop from happening." DongHae had slumped back down against the couch, scowling down at his knees.

YoungSaeng just smiled warmly at JungMin. "Two paths, JungMin. Stay to the right." His attention turned to DongHae who he padded over to crouch down in front of. "Do what you know is the best, it will work."

DongHae looked up at YoungSaeng, lips pressed together unhappily before he nodded. "Okay..." KiBum put his arm around DongHae's shoulders, the older man leaning against him a little.

JungMin looked stuck trying to figure out what YoungSaeng meant, before shaking his head. "Okay...enough thinking for today." he dropped down next to KyuJong.

"Right, and since he doesn't come with an off switch," KyuHyun pointed at YoungSaeng who had wandered back to the tv, "I'm going home. I'm not needed for anything right?"

"No, go be grumpy somewhere you're not going to piss me off," JungMin rolled his eyes, wandering into the kitchen to see if they had anything for dinner. "And behave at work tomorrow!"

"Yah, I always behave!" KyuJong sniffed, stalking down the hall to the door.

KyuJong followed JungMin into the kitchen, glancing at those still in the living room before he spoke quietly. "How are you holding up Min?"

Looking back at KyuJong, JungMin shrugged noncommittally as he turned towards the cupboards. "YoungSaeng's getting easier to deal with...but this is just the beginning, isn't it."

"I think so," KyuJong nodded, crossing his arms as he leaned against the counter. "I'd like to be able to say that he'll get easier to deal with, and you'll understand him easier as we go... but there's no way to know if he'll get better or worse. You know if you need some time away from him I could take him or watch him while you go out."

"Go out where?" JungMin sighed. "I'll be fine, KyuJong. You just keep an eye on yourself out there, make sure that...we don't lose you too."

Smiling sadly, KyuJong came up behind JungMin to wrap his arms around the younger man's waist, hugging him tightly. "You're not going to lose me, I promise," he said softly.

Blinking rapidly, JungMin smiled and covered one of KyuJong's hands with his own. "You better keep that promise," he murmured, voice scratchy.

"I intend to," KyuJong said, just leaning up against him for a moment. "You want me to make you something to eat?"

"Always taking care of me." JungMin looked back at KyuJong with a small smile, straightening and turning around after a minute. "Your food's the best though, so I'm not gonna complain."

"Good, so go back and sit down," KyuJong smiled at him. "I'll always talk care of you. Unless you can find someone else who'll put up with you."

"Which would be never," JungMin chuckled, hugging KyuJong tightly. "Thanks, Kyu." He pulled back to head into the living room again, feeling a little better.

 

 

 

 

That conversation plagued DongHae all night, and by the time morning came around he was sure what he was going to do. He didn't care what KyuHyun thought about him, if he thought he was 'betraying' them or whatever. But YoungSaeng had clearly said that a sheep very close to HyunJoong was in danger. A pink sheep, quite possibly.

And DongHae knew of someone who fit that description. There was only one guy he knew who carried around a bright pink bag all day.

Deciding if KyuHyun was going to ignore him all day anyways then he didn't want to deal with the silent ride all the way to work, DongHae sent KiBum off to JungMin's house with the message that DongHae had already gone off to work. Let KyuHyun take the bus by himself, it wasn't like he even liked DongHae's company anyways. The thought saddened him, but he had other things to worry about just then.

Like the fact that no matter what the others thought about HyunJoong, if HyunJoong's boyfriend was in danger, then he had a right to know. Maybe SungMin could be protected that way.

Arriving at the office early, DongHae dumped his iPod and bag on his desk before going towards the back offices. HyunJoong's receptionist, SeoHyun, wasn't there yet but the lights were on inside HyunJoong's office. Shuffling from foot to foot, DongHae reached up and knocked.

Busy with paperwork, HyunJoong frowned slightly up at the door. He didn't think he had a meeting today. SeoHyun had the day off and SungMin was rarely up this early in the day let alone knocking on any door. "Yes?" he called.

Trying the door, DongHae found it was unlocked. He opened it enough to peek into the room. "HyunJoong sshi? Could I speak with you quickly? It's a little important."

"Of course, have a seat," HyunJoong nodded to the chair across from his desk. "Something wrong? SungMin been bothering you?"

"No," DongHae shook his head, stepping into the room and closing the door after himself. He walked over to sit down in the chair, frowning lightly. "Oh, first I wanted to thank you for, you know...two nights ago? For taking care of me, and not just leaving me in the bar drunk." He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. "I should have said I have a bad tolerance."

"No thanks necessary," HyunJoong chuckled. "Despite what I'm sure you've heard about me, I'm not a bad guy. Especially to those who are involved with my archenemies. Don't really want them on my again when I've been pretty good."

Nodding slowly, DongHae looked down at his lap as he thought. "They'd probably be mad at me for talking to you about this," he chuckled tiredly. "Or KyuHyun would. But I thought it was important you know." He looked up at HyunJoong again. "The precog I mentioned before? He said something yesterday, and I think I'm the only one who really put together what it meant." DongHae's expression became serious. "He said that SungMin is going to be in danger."

That took HyunJoong by surprise, his brow furrowing as he set down his pen and leaned over the desk. "In danger how? What did this precog say?"

"Not much," DongHae frowned. "He's been referring to you as the 'talker', we just figured that out last night. He said the 'sheep' that is close to the talker is in danger, and kept mentioning pink in relation to the sheep. I just...I don't know how many people you know who can be described with the word 'pink'."

"Sheep? I don't understand why he would be a sheep," HyunJoong blinked, leaning back. "He didn't say what this danger was though? I mean the only thing that could really hurt SungMin is if his credit card was declined."

"I don't know more than that, he didn't say anything about what the danger could be, but he was getting very agitated when talking about it," DongHae said. "Like he tried to put a hole through JungMin's tv. Just kept saying 'not the sheep', and 'so close'."

"Seems like an interesting person," HyunJoong said, glancing towards the window. "You go straight to JungMin's after work right? I'll take you there after your shift is over. I want to talk to this precog. What'd you say his name was?"

DongHae's mouth fell open and he shook his head. "I don't know if that's such a good idea, they'll be so pissed if they know I told you," he half-pleaded. "I'm in enough trouble already."

"They'll get over it," HyunJoong rolled his eyes. "If something is really after SungMin, I want to know more. They should be grateful for my help."

"They won't be grateful, they'll be pissed off," DongHae mumbled, slumping into the seat. Well, he was in even more trouble now. "I'm gonna be kicked out of the Sworn."

"Look, I fought against them for a long time, and no one knows them as well as I do," HyunJoong said. "They're not going to kick you out, you took the oath right? Sure, KyuHyun will be pissed off, but when isn't he. JungMin will be so blinded by rage at seeing me that I doubt he'll turn that explosive temper on you. It'll all be directed at me. KyuJong will probably welcome me."

DongHae still looked unhappy. "Okay...okay. As long as they don't think I'm...betraying them, or whatever. Cause I'm not. I just thought you might want to know your boyfriend might be in danger."

"I don't consider it betraying," HyunJoong grinned. "Though they might see it differently. You did it with good intentions, that's what matters."

"I suppose, yeah." DongHae sighed and stood. "I should go before KyuHyun gets in and sees me in here."

"Good idea," HyunJoong said. "Though could you send him in to see me when you see him?"

DongHae winced. "Okay." He headed to the door, leaving the office and closing the door behind him. Trying not to think too hard, he headed back to his desk, hoping he could somehow fake a death and get out of what was going to be a mess of trouble after work.

It close to a half hour before KyuHyun arrived, throwing his bag in his cubicle and stomping around to DongHae's side. "Yah! We're supposed to go in together remember? That was the whole point of us going to work together? So we were you know, together. I'm not getting my chewed out again for you not doing what you're supposed to."

Pulling his headphones off to hear what KyuHyun was yelling at him for this time, DongHae scowled, nearing the end of his politeness. "I'm sorry, I thought I would save you the trouble of ignoring me the whole way here again."

"Whatever, that was yesterday," KyuHyun huffed. "Just don't it again, okay?"

"Yeah, fine, whatever. HyunJoong wants to talk to you." DongHae jammed his headphones back on, cranking the volume to max.

KyuJong scowled at the back of his head, kicking his chair. "Yah, see if I'm nice to you anymore," he grumbled before heading down to HyunJoong's office. Knocking, he turned the handle and poked his head in. "You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, come in, sit," HyunJoong said, not looking up from his work. "I need a favor from you."

"... From me," KyuHyun's expression fell and he trudged into the room to drop into the chair. "Why don't you just ask your boot er to do it?"

The door opened behind them again. "I'm pretty sure you meant me, and that's just gross, you know how much dirt's on a boot?" SungMin stepped into the room, pink bag swinging over one shoulder as he waved at them. "Morning! You left some paperwork on the coffee table Hyun, aren't you lucky I'm such a nice guy?"

"Yes, lucky," HyunJoong snorted at that. "You have good timing though. I was just going to ask KyuHyun a favor and it involved you."

"... What," KyuHyun's eyes narrowed.

"I'm going to be a little busier than usual, and I think SungMin is getting a little lonely," HyunJoong said. "He seems to tolerate you more than others, so I want you to spend some time with him."

SungMin blinked repeatedly, looking both confused and pleased with how the conversation was going. "What's this about, Hyun? Is this cause I asked you to take me on a date last night?"

"No, I just think you need a friend," HyunJoong said, glancing at him. "Someone that I know you won't try to make a pass at, and someone that I know who wouldn't accept."

KyuHyun tried to keep the heat out of his cheeks as he slunk down slightly in his chair. "I'm not doing it," he muttered, crossing his arms.

"I'll pay you time and a half," HyunJoong replied.

SungMin tilted his head to the side. "That's actually not a bad offer. Though I'm still wondering why I'm not getting a say in this."

"If you want it to be someone else then okay, I'll get one of my bodyguards to do it," HyunJoong said, frowning at SungMin.

"...Well that's just not fun," SungMin sulked. "Fine, I guess if I have to have a babysitter... You do remember I'm older than you, right."

"I don't care," KyuHyun said, crossing his arms. "Don't I get a say in this?"

"No," HyunJoong said definitively. "You can leave now. And don't worry about DongHae getting home, I'll be taking him tonight."

"Taking him where?" KyuHyun scowled.

"Home, don't worry," HyunJoong waved him out. KyuHyun muttered under his breath and left the room, feeling like he could kick DongHae's chair again he was so irritated.

SungMin watched him go, shaking his head slightly before turning back to HyunJoong. "That was pretty unlike you. Unless you're hiring him to make sure I don't spend all your money, since when did you care if I was alone or not?" He walked to the desk, placing some papers down onto it.

"I've been preoccupied lately," HyunJoong said, turning his chair towards him and leaning back. "And you seem unhappy. Should I not care in the future?"

"I didn't say that," SungMin rolled his eyes, stopping in front of HyunJoong's chair. "Kyunnie's fun to annoy. But just so you know, paying someone to take me out on dates or whatever isn't the same as you going."

"You're not going out on dates," HyunJoong frowned. "I know it's not the same, and it's only when I'm too busy to go out with you. I'll... make more of an effort to spend time with you, alright?"

"Uh huh." SungMin had heard that one before. He dropped his bag on HyunJoong's desk, seating himself in the other man's lap. "So I got up early to bring you your paperwork before you tore your briefcase apart looking for it…do I get a reward before I go?"

HyunJoong chuckled at that, his arm going around SungMin's waist to hold him steady. "Hmmm... possibly. What kind of reward would you like?"

"Surprise me." SungMin leaned in to press kisses to HyunJoong's jaw.

"It's a good thing SeoHyun isn't here today... go lock the door," HyunJoong said, humming softly at the kisses. "And when you come back, make sure those clothes are gone."
 

 

 


 

16 subscribers! :D Hi to all the new readers! o/

Please leave a comment, subscribe or upvote if you liked the story! 

 

@Forest_pixi: LOL That brings up the question...would SungMin be after KyuHyun so much if HyunJoong actually paid him any attention? And I'm gonna call you Tweety Bird from now on :D 

@Forever5501: You silly <333

@ConanE: Is he? >D Can't tell~