Plans

The Sworn

Since DongHae had been gone, HyunJoong hadn't slept well. Tossing and turning in the bed, reaching for someone who wasn't there. He hated being alone, part of the reason why he had been with SungMin so long. Not that he would have grabbed the first warm body available, especially since that close warm body happened to be JongWoon.

The first night he had the healer with him had been tense, HyunJoong very close to suffocating him with a pillow or telling him to take two steps off of a building. He knew why JongWoon needed to stay alive, but that didn't mean he had to like it.

By the second morning, he had grown tolerable of JongWoon's presence, no longer glaring at him but not smiling either. He at least remembered to feed him this time. After a late breakfast, they headed over to JungMin's as it seemed had become habit for HyunJoong. Probably DongHae's fault, but at least he had a purpose this time. Checking on KyuJong and KiBum and seeing if any progress had been made on finding where HyungJoon was.

Climbing up the steps to the door, he rang the doorbell three times before stepping back and waiting.

The door clicked open after a moment, JungMin eyeing them from the other side. He stepped aside to let them in. "RyeoWook went back on the search this morning. He hasn't called in with any information yet. You ate?" He closed the door once they were in, watching JongWoon warily. JongWoon for his part was entirely cooperative, head ducked and hands clasped in front of him.

"Yeah, had some leftover takeout," HyunJoong said, getting his shoes off. "And nothing new from YoungSaeng either I imagine. How are KyuJong and KiBum?"

"Still asleep," JungMin replied, standing out of the way. "They're healing fine though, there's no permanent damage. He wasn't any trouble?" He jabbed a finger at JongWoon.

"Not today anyway," HyunJoong replied, eyeing JongWoon coolly for a moment before moving further into the house. "I'm getting tired of babysitting him though, I may go out later just to get away from him. Everytime I look at him..." he let the thought trail off, shaking his head.

"We need him alive, and the police will deal with him afterwards," JungMin said, arms folded across his chest. He looked at the group of people gathered in the living room before shaking his head and turning towards the stairs. "I'm going to check on the two upstairs."

He headed up the stairs to the second floor, opening the bedroom door and leaning in.

"Hi," KyuJong had his eyes opened, but not that far. He made a small sound of discomfort, shifting slightly. "What happened?" he asked, trying to sit up. "Last thing I remember is the shop was on fire and Zhou Mi showing up all glittery."

JungMin smiled widely in relief, stepping into the room and closing the door after him. "Hey…we got you both out of there, same with the family upstairs. TaeYeon and JongWoon healed you up. How are you feeling?" He drew the chair over to KyuJong's side of the bed, sitting down.

"Awful," KyuJong trying a little smile. "Wait... you said JongWoon healed us? You let him near us?"

"We didn't have much of a choice. TaeYeon wouldn't have made it here on time, we could have lost one of you. HyunJoong made sure he didn't try anything weird." JungMin rested his hand lightly on KyuJong's shoulder. "Can I get you anything? Water, food?"

"Water would be lovely," KyuJong said, putting his hand over JungMin's. "I have a question to ask first though... my shop?"

JungMin lowered his eyes, shaking his head. "The whole building came down," he said quietly. "I'm sorry, Kyu."

"Oh... oh," KyuJong replied, his voice barely audible. He looked down at KiBum beside him, taking a slow breath. "Well, at least we weren't inside when it collapsed. We'd be dead right now."

"Yeah…you're both alive, and that's what's important," JungMin nodded, squeezing KyuJong's shoulder lightly. He noticed KiBum was beginning to stir, eyes opening and closing. "I'll be back with that water." He stood, leaving the room.

"Thank you Min," KyuJong called after him before turning his attention to KiBum. "Hi, sorry we woke you."

KiBum cracked his eyes open again, blinking blearily at KyuJong. "I was waking up, I think," he murmured, voice scratchy. "What happened?" He looked around the room slowly. "How did we get here?"

"I'm not sure on the details, but I think JungMin and Zhou Mi got us out and back home," KyuJong said. "He said the building collapsed."

"Oh…" KiBum let that process for a moment. "Are you okay?" He frowned, pushing himself up more on KyuJong's eye level.

"I'm better now that you're awake," KyuJong replied with a small smile. "Every bone in my body hurts though, I think I'm going to reconsider being a super hero full time again."

KiBum chuckled quietly, finding KyuJong's hand and curling his fingers around the other man's. "I don't remember much…I think I out after the floor gave."

KyuJong blinked at him. "What do you mean? We fell through the floor?"

The younger man nodded, brow furrowed. "Zhou Mi brought us to the third floor to get out, there were other people there…before we could get out, the floor collapsed and we fell. I can't remember anything after that."

"Well now I wonder what else happened," KyuJong said, lips pursed. "JungMin said Zhou Mi got us and the family upstairs out, he said nothing about falling through the floor."

KiBum shook his head, not sure of what else had happened any more than KyuJong.

"Got your water." JungMin had come back, holding two glasses of water. "Do you need help sitting up?" He brought them to the bed.

"Thank you, no," KyuJong said tersely, struggling to get sitting up and leaned up against the headboard. "What happened? The truth, all of it. KiBum says we fell through a floor."

Blinking, JungMin's lips thinned and he held out the glass of water to KyuJong. "…You did, two floors actually. Zhou Mi protected you from the debris, but you were hurt badly enough that we had no choice but to get JongWoon to heal you."

KyuJong accepted the water, cradling it in his lap. "And was that it? Why didn't you tell me about this Park JungMin? Since when do you keep secrets from me?"

"It's not…" JungMin frowned. "You just woke up, I didn't want you to worry about it. The most important thing is that you're both safe, we got you out of there."

Sighing a little, KyuJong sipped at his water and looked down at his hands. "Thank you, for helping save us. I'm sorry to accuse you like that, but I just wanted the truth."

JungMin nodded mutely, looking away. "I'm just glad you're okay. Don't you dare scare me like that again, Kyu."

"I'm not planning on it," KyuJong said, reaching out as far as his arm could go to poke him in the arm. "What have we missed?"

The redhead looked back at him and KiBum, who had sat up by then. He reached over to hand KiBum his glass of water. "Well…you missed HyunJoong and I calling a truce so we can focus on getting DongHae back, if that counts for anything."

"Oh? A truce?" KyuJong raised a skeptical eyebrow at that. "So no more veiled threats and throwing glares at each other from across the room? I mean, he really is the least of our worries right now."

"I realize that, I'm not stupid," JungMin grumbled. "I can prioritize. YoungSaeng said something I'm not that sure about though. He said that HyunJoong needs to take the oath, so there's six in the Sworn."

"...What?" That took KyuJong back a little and he glanced at KiBum beside him before looking back at JungMin. "But there's already six... unless he's not counting DongHae right now, but Dust and Nova, they're still Sworn."

"I don't know if he's counting Dust or Nova," JungMin shook his head. "He seems adamant on HyunJoong taking the oath and being one of us."

"Would he even want to take the oath though?" KiBum frowned.

"It hasn't been something on his priority list," KyuJong said. "But that's for him to decide I guess? Did YoungSaeng say he had to and if he doesn't things will turn out bad for us?"

"He wasn't being very specific, he just said it would make the difference for him to be part of the team," JungMin sighed, watching KyuJong. "I think this should be a group decision."

"We haven't had one of those in a while," KyuJong made a face but he nodded. "Okay, it'll be a group decision. Should we include Dust and Nova in this as well?"

"They're part of the Sworn too," JungMin nodded. "Most of us are here…except for KyuHyun, I don't think he's arrived yet. Are you okay to deal with this? We can wait until you're more healed."

"Better to do it as soon as possible," KyuJong said. "Who knows if RyeoWook will come back with news soon."

"We can hope…" JungMin sighed and stood. "Okay, I'll go check downstairs, and give Sparky a call to find out where he is." He turned and left the room, heading down the stairs.

KyuHyun had actually arrived while JungMin was upstairs, sitting on the couch with SungMin.

"Did they want anything to eat?" Zhou Mi asked JungMin when he came down.

"They didn't say, but they're probably hungry," JungMin replied, spotting KyuHyun. He looked around the living room. "KyuHyun, ChangMin, can we talk to you upstairs? Sunny and GyuRi too, wherever they are."

"They're downstairs," ChangMin blinked, standing. "I'll get them."

"Why?" KyuHyun asked, eyes wary.

"We need to talk," JungMin wrinkled his nose at the younger man as ChangMin disappeared down the stairs. "Quit arguing and get over here, will you? SungMin will be fine without you for five minutes."

"What, you're not afraid he'll go on a killing spree or something?" KyuHyun retorted, but he did get to his feet.

"Don't you start," JungMin scowled at the younger man. "Last time I'm inviting you for any group decisions." He stomped back upstairs to wait for them to show up.

"Group decision?" KyuHyun blinked. "What do you mean group decision?" he called after him, not waiting for the others before following JungMin upstairs. He peeked his head into the room and saw KyuJong and KiBum were awake. "Hey, what's going on?"

"We'll tell you when the others get up here," JungMin sniffed, looking at KyuJong. "Tell him to stop being an argumentative ."

"Because it's worked so well in the past?" KyuJong mused, a little laugh in his voice.

"Hey, it's part of my charm," KyuHyun said, leaning up against the wall. "Glad to see you two are okay though. I mean, when I heard that whole building collapsed on top of you... I don't honestly know how you made it out."

KiBum raised an eyebrow at that. "So it wasn't just the floors collapsing," he mused, looking at JungMin who flushed.

"I told you the building collapsed, and I was trying not to freak them out, thanks," the redhead shoved KyuHyun's shoulder as ChangMin appeared with the two girls behind him.

"Why are you blaming me?" KyuHyun protested, shoving JungMin back. "I wasn't the one keeping things from people."

"Argue later, please?" KyuJong sighed.

JungMin grumbled for a moment before stepping back, looking between everyone as they all gathered in the room. "Okay, here's what's going on. YoungSaeng said yesterday that HyunJoong needed to take the oath."

"…Come again?" ChangMin's eyebrows went up. "I must have misheard you, I thought you just said HyunJoong has to join the Sworn."

"... Is he kidding? Please tell me he was kidding," KyuHyun's expression soured. "Please tell me this is some crazy precog's idea of a practical joke."

"I don't think it's a joke KyuHyun," KyuJong said. "YoungSaeng said from the beginning that we needed HyunJoong. That there had to be six Sworn."

"Excuse me, I'm not the best at math or anything," GyuRi spoke up. "But I count more than six in this room alone."

"I'm not sure if he's counting those of us who retired," JungMin looked at GyuRi.

"Okay, so if we're only counting current people, there's KyuHyun, me, KiBum, and DongHae," ChangMin counted. "Even with HyunJoong that still doesn't equal six."

"Maybe he meant six in a different way," KyuJong said. "We'd have to ask him to be sure. The point is, YoungSaeng clearly said to JungMin that HyunJoong had to take the oath."

"No, absolutely out of the question," KyuHyun said, shaking his head emphatically. "He's an evil, sadistic who only cares about himself. How many years did we fight against him? After everything he put us all through, what he put you and JungMin through when he left in the first place? Why are we even considering this?"

"I'm not so sure you're one to talk, considering who you're seeing," KiBum frowned at KyuHyun. "That alone is proof that you think someone who we considered evil can change."

"We're considering it because YoungSaeng asked us to," JungMin looked at them. "But this is our decision to make, and HyunJoong's too if we agree on it."

"What do you think, KyuJong oppa?" Sunny asked their leader. "Do you think, after everything that happened, we should let that man take the oath?"

KyuJong was quiet for a moment, looking at each of them in turn before his gaze settled on JungMin. "There was a time when HyunJoong was one of us. Some of you weren't here yet, but some were. I still remember the brash teenager who leaped before he looked but always wanted to do the right thing. I don't know what happened along the way, when he stopped caring for other people. I always felt, in a way, he was someone we had failed as heroes. Whether he wants to come back or not is up to him, but I think we owe it to him for a chance to do the right thing again."

JungMin met KyuJong's eyes, lips pressed into a thin line. "I don't know about this," ChangMin protested still. "He's hurt so many people, not even including those of us here. How does someone like that change?"

"Two years changes people." JungMin glanced at ChangMin, who had missed those two years. ChangMin looked away. Inhaling deeply, JungMin looked back at KyuJong. "…All right. I'll give him that chance."

"...Seriously?" KyuHyun couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Of all people JungMin, I expected you to be making the most noise against this. Does YoungSaeng have you twisted that far around his finger?"

"KyuHyun, shut up," KyuJong said, a glare sent in the younger man's direction. "KiBum was right, you have no room to talk about giving people second chances. You of all people can't say what HyunJoong will or won't do based on his past. If you can take SungMin at his word, then you can give HyunJoong a chance." KyuHyun looked away, his arms crossed.

"I don't have a problem with it," GyuRi said, shoulders shrugging. "I always thought he was too cute to be a villain anyway."

"He cares about DongHae," Sunny said, looking down at the floor. "Someone who can worry that much over a person can't be all evil."

"I'm for him taking the oath," KiBum glanced at KyuJong.

"…You're all crazy," ChangMin sighed, messing up his hair with one hand. "Okay…okay. Maybe you're right."

"KyuHyun?" JungMin looked at the electricity manipulator.

"This is stupid," KyuHyun muttered, shaking his head. "He's just going to turn around and break it once DongHae's safe."

"I don't think DongHae would let him," KyuJong pointed out. "And I don't think he would anyway."

"...Fine, he can take the oath," KyuHyun said begrudgingly. "But the second he does something evil, I'm going to tell you I told you so."

"Only if we can do the same if your assassin boyfriend pulls something," JungMin scowled at him.

"Some things just don't change," Sunny shook her head at the two of them. "Should we call HyunJoong up here?"

"Yes, please do," KyuJong nodded. GyuRi went to the door and opened it, calling down the stairs for HyunJoong.

"Hm?" HyunJoong came to the bottom of the stairs, looking up at GyuRi. "Yes?"

"Come up here for a sec," GyuRi said, waving him up. She moved out of the way when HyunJoong joined him. He looked around at them all with a wary expression.

"What's going on?" he asked, looking to KyuJong.

"JungMin told us that YoungSaeng says that you need to take the oath," KyuJong said matter-of-factly. "He was very adamant about it. We just came to a consensus about it, and now it's up to you. If you're with us, take the oath and become Sworn."

"...What?" HyunJoong's eyebrow went up at that. "Become sworn? You all hate me."

"Got that ri— ow," ChangMin winced when Sunny kicked him.

"We talked about it," JungMin said, looking at HyunJoong. "It's a little late in coming, but if there's any part of you that wants to do good still, it might be time for you to take that spot you almost had. It's up to you."

HyunJoong made a face at ChangMin before looking back at JungMin. "The only good I want to do right now is save DongHae. I don't need to take an oath to do that."

"No, but I'm sure DongHae would want you to," KyuJong said. "I'm sure he'd have wanted to be here of course, but he'd be happy to know you were on the right side again."

It took a moment for that to sink in for HyunJoong. He could already imagine how DongHae's eyes would light up when he told him he was a super hero, that he was on the same team. Maybe that was enough to make it worth it. "...Okay," HyunJoong nodded. "I'll do it."

JungMin nodded, inhaling deeply. "Raise your hand, and repeat after us," he said, turning to face HyunJoong. The others quietened. "I promise to protect this city, her inhabitants."

HyunJoong did as he was asked, raising his hand and repeating the oath back after it was told to him line by line. There was a mood shift in the room as he spoke the last line, his hand going down and nearly bowled over by GyuRi. 

"Welcome to the Sworn... it's good you're one of us again," she said, squeezing his ribs tightly.

"It took a long time, but I think you're back where you really belong," KyuJong said from his place on the bed.

JungMin nodded to HyunJoong, lips quirked slightly. "Welcome to the team."

"Now we get to tell the people downstairs," ChangMin snorted, shaking his head.

"That's the fun part," Sunny beamed, nudging HyunJoong's arm lightly before she left the room.

"Sunny! …She's gonna tell them all before you get down there," JungMin chuckled.

"It's okay this way, saves me from feeling embarrassed," HyunJoong shrugged, following down after her.

"I still think this is a mistake," KyuHyun muttered, arms crossed as he trailed after them.

"Help me up Min," KyuJong said, holding out his hands as he tried to get out from under the blankets.

JungMin went back to the bedside, taking KyuJong's hands and helping his best friend to stand. "You sure you're feeling okay?" He asked as ChangMin left with the others.

"I'm fine Min, I can't stay in bed all day," KyuJong said, leaning a little against JungMin before he felt steady enough on his own. "You need your bed back."

"I've been dealing with a houseful of people for weeks, I can deal with two more until you both feel better," JungMin frowned, supporting KyuJong and watching as KiBum tried to get up as well. "Take it easy KiBum, I can't jump over the bed if you fall on your face."

"I'm being careful," KiBum chuckled, resting his feet on the ground.

"Maybe we can get TaeYeon back up here for another healing," JungMin looked at KyuJong, arm securely around the older man's waist.

"That would probably be a good idea," KyuJong nodded. "Now that I know a whole building fell on us, I don't feel so guilty for being in so much pain."

"I was trying to avoid freaking you out," JungMin grumbled. "Most of it collapsed after we got you out of there, but you were under a bunch of debris for a while."

"I appreciate you wanting to protect me JungMin, but I'm an adult, I can handle it," KyuJong said, patting his arm. "Zhou Mi is okay right? I know he protected us, and I know he can take a punishing but... that had to have hurt him too."

"He's fine, TaeYeon took a look at him and RyeoWook mothered over him all night," JungMin chuckled softly. "And I don't care if you're an adult or not, you're my best friend. So you're gonna have to deal with it," he nudged KyuJong's side lightly.

"Always my strength," KyuJong smiled a little, leaning into JungMin and hugging him. "Thank you, for always trying to protect me."

"Hey…you protected me all this time." JungMin hugged KyuJong back, lips curled upwards. "Gotta return the favor somehow."

Footsteps ran up the stairs, ChangMin poking his head into the room. "RyeoWook's back!"

"Go," KyuJong pushed JungMin away, sitting back down on the bed before he fell over. "Find out what he knows. It'll take me too long to get down the stairs right now."

"I'll send TaeYeon up, I think she's downstairs." JungMin nodded, looking between them before turning to leave the room, ChangMin on his heels.

RyeoWook was sitting on the couch, drinking from a glass of water and out of breath. He looked up when JungMin came down the steps. "I found it…I need a map." JungMin went to get it.

Zhou Mi hovered anxiously, another glass of water at the ready for RyeoWook. "Do you think HyungJoon knew you were there? Did you see DongHae?"

"Would you let him breathe a little?" KyuHyun frowned. "You two, made for each other with your mothering."

RyeoWook chuckled breathlessly, coughing when he inhaled too fast. By the time JungMin came back with the map, he was done with the glass of water.

"He didn't see me, from what I could tell. I didn't see DongHae either." RyeoWook frowned, placing the glass down and leaning over the map. "It's a massive, traditional house…right there," he pointed to a street corner. JungMin marked it off on the map.

"Is it approachable from the back?" SungMin asked, watching from the side.

"Yes…there's a small path to get behind it, covered for the most part." RyeoWook traced his finger along the map.

"Even if he didn't see you, he has to be expecting we'll find where he is sooner or later," HyunJoong said. "Could you draw us a layout of the house as you saw it? We're going to have to attack this logically. He could have traps or something set up."

"I don't think he's had to time to do that," KyuHyun frowned. "... Though I guess it's not a bad idea to be careful."

As JungMin went to get a pad of paper, RyeoWook accepted the second glass of water from Zhou Mi. "If only you could work a camera in bird form," ChangMin shook his head, trying not to crowd the couch area.

"Would make this a lot easier." RyeoWook sipped at the second glass slower than the first. When JungMin returned, he placed the glass down and took the paper and pen from him to start scratching out a rough layout.

"Here's the pond and gardens YoungSaeng saw…the windchimes were around here too. The house had several open areas…" He drew out everything as he explained.

"So when you said massive, you meant massive," KyuHyun said, frowning slightly. "That's the biggest house I think I've ever seen. It's like three times the size of yours JungMin."

"Would be nice to know the layout of the rooms, but this is a good start," HyunJoong said, leaning over RyeoWook's shoulder to get a better look. "When KyuJong's up and around we can really start to plan how we're going to do this. HyungJoon's smarter than we all realized, I'm sure he'll have a trick or two waiting for us. Anything you can do to help us with that Yixing?" he looked towards the Chinese man, Zhou Mi translating for him.

Yixing looked uncomfortable at the question, replying back haltingly. "He says HyungJoon's stronger than him, but if he gets a clear shot then he might be able to keep him distracted," Zhou Mi translated.

"We need TaeYeon to take another look at KyuJong and KiBum again," JungMin said. Sunny nodded and turned to give the healer a call. "Should we split up?"

"Splitting up last time was what did us in," ChangMin pointed out.

"We shouldn't split up," HyunJoong shook his head. "Direct, and forceful is how we need to do this I think. HyungJoon would expect another diversion or us to split up."

"But wouldn't splitting up mean he's distracted?" Zhou Mi asked, rubbing RyeoWook's back in slow circles. "Groups of twos attacking simultaneously?"

"No, there's no way of knowing what HyungJoon will have waiting for us," HyunJoong shook his head. "Small groups would be easy targets. We're strongest together."

KyuHyun snorted off to the side, rolling his eyes. "Ten minutes after he's taken the oath and he's already a team player."

"He's making more helpful contributions than you right now," JungMin threw a pen at KyuHyun's head. SungMin chuckled softly, leaning over to see the layout of the house.

"Maybe we should still have a small team on back-up," ChangMin suggested. "Hanging back just off the property in case."

"Who's going in the main group though?" RyeoWook asked, leaning against Zhou Mi as he rested.

"I thought we were waiting for KyuJong before making any plans?" KyuHyun put in, making a face at JungMin.

"We are, but at least we can get a framework for what we're doing first," HyunJoong said. "Who goes in first I think will be up to him. He is the leader."

"I'm not going," HeeChul declared. "Well, I'll drive, but I'm not going in."

"How did I know that was going to happen," Zhou Mi sighed softly. "Why do you even pretend to be a super hero HeeChul? You don't care about anyone but yourself."

"Excuse you, I care very much what happens to Geng," HeeChul protested. "Who else is going to give me foot massages?"

"Not to mention your fried rice," Han Geng added on, completely straight-faced.

"TaeYeon is on her way here," Sunny returned, holding her phone in one hand.

"If we're waiting for KyuJong to come down here, I'll order us some food," JungMin straightened. "We're going to be too busy to even think about eating later."

"We're going today?" SungMin asked.

"That would depend on KyuJong and KiBum, but I'd say so. We've kept DongHae waiting long enough."

"Exactly," HyunJoong said, his expression tightening. He glanced around the room. Someone seemed to be missing. "Where's YoungSaeng?"

KyuHyun blinked, looking around as well. "He was... just here wasn't he?"

"I haven't seen him since after breakfast," Zhou Mi said. "Was he downstairs with you girls?" GyuRi shook her head.

JungMin's eyes widened and he turned away from the table. "YoungSaeng?" he called, going to the kitchen. He didn't see the precog there, turning instantly to go downstairs and check there.

He returned quickly. "He's not there. Yixing, try sensing him," he ordered, going upstairs to check the roof. Yixing blinked after him until Han Geng translated, the telepath nodding and closing his eyes.

"He picks the worst times to go off on his own," KyuHyun muttered, checking the bathroom since he was the closest.

"He's just been so quiet lately, I don't even notice he's here half the time," Zhou Mi said, looking out the back door. "Where would he have gone?"

"Should I go…" RyeoWook staggered back to his feet, ChangMin stopping him with one arm.

"You can't even stand straight right now," he frowned at the bird shifter. "Try flying anywhere and you'll probably hit a window."

JungMin had just come back from checking the roof when Yixing's eyes snapped open. "See! Um…"

"You see him?" JungMin stopped, eyeing the telepath. "He wasn't on the roof."

Yixing gave a false start before rattling something off in Mandarin. "He senses YoungSaeng nearby, not inside the house," Han Geng frowned. "YoungSaeng's near…an area of destruction?"

Zhou Mi came back to the room, his eyes narrowed in concern as he asked Yixing a question. When the younger man responded he took a steadying breath and looked to JungMin. "He's at KyuJong's shop."

JungMin's eyes widened. "Why would he be there?" He turned towards the door, remembering to jam his feet into his shoes this time. "I'll be back with him." He left the house, jogging down the street towards KyuJong's shop.