The Dragon and the Tiger

The Sworn

"You want to keep on isolating yourself from us? Fine. Getting you to work alongside us instead of off on your own has been like pulling teeth, and I'm sick of arguing with you. If you ever get yourself together and decide to be a team again, we'll be searching for DongHae. If you even care that he's missing, or does SungMin take priority over him too?" JungMin hung up the phone.

"Yeah, well, where were you the past two years!" KyuHyun said to the dial tone. He hung the phone as forcefully as he could, throwing it to the other side of the couch. "Not like you wanted me around anyway!" Muttering to himself, he flopped over onto the couch cushions, covering his face with a pillow. That probably could have gone better.


Back on the other side of the phone, JungMin fumed out in the hallway for a few minutes, phone gripped tightly in his hand. He just didn't know what to do with KyuHyun anymore. Was it overreacting to not want SungMin anywhere near YoungSaeng (or any of them) without solid proof the assassin was really on their side? He didn't think so.

Giving himself a moment to try to calm down, he shook his head and pushed his phone back into his pocket before going back to the bedroom.

As anyone knew, JungMin had a loud voice, especially when he was angry. YoungSaeng wasn't the deepest of sleepers to begin with and hearing the one-sided argument had brought the precog out of sleep. He felt much better than he had the previous day, able to sit up without needing help. "You don't want to hear what I have to say," he said, frowning slightly up at JungMin.

Seeing YoungSaeng awake, JungMin frowned. "…I guess it would be a stupid question to ask if you heard that." He sat down on the edge of the bed, messing up his hair even more than it already was.

"Even if I... couldn't see it before, I would have heard it," YoungSaeng nodded, touching JungMin's arm lightly. "It's okay, to not believe him."

"I want to believe him," JungMin looked at YoungSaeng beside him. "But I can't forget what happened last time…and I don't want anyone to be hurt again."

"For the first time, in over a year, I feel... in control," YoungSaeng said, looking into JungMin's eyes. "I knew, that SungMin was going to shoot me, and I was so terrified of it. But I wasn't before... I knew it was going to happen just as I knew I was going to meet you. HyungJoon... since my escape has been clouding my mind, letting me see only bits and pieces of the truth. I shouldn't have been worried, because SungMin shooting me revealed the truth about who HyungJoon is. KyuHyun is telling the truth, as is SungMin. He won't hurt me again, or anyone else."

"You can be absolutely certain of that?" JungMin asked quietly, meeting YoungSaeng's eyes. "No path leads to him hurting one of us again? Because next time he might not miss…and it might just break KyuHyun."

"I am certain," YoungSaeng said. "SungMin's role in this is done, and he just wants to lead a normal life. As normal as someone like him can. I only see two paths, and neither of them have SungMin hurting any of us."

Nodding slowly, JungMin looked away, processing that. "Good…that's good. I guess I'm calling to apologize to KyuHyun after." He messed up his hair.

"Apologize for having valid concerns?" YoungSaeng tilted his head slightly. "You don't need to apologize for that. You and KyuHyun have a very long history of arguing, I don't see that ever changing. Give it a little time, he has some things to work out on his own."

The corner of JungMin's lips quirked slightly. "Ok…good. I hate apologizing anyways." He looked at YoungSaeng beside him. "I know you're still recovering, but there's something very important I have to ask you…do you have any idea where HyungJoon might have taken DongHae?"

"... Yes, and no," YoungSaeng frowned. "There's something about HyungJoon, an ability he has that is shrouding himself in time. I can't see him, or things that involve him. Which is why I didn't see him being here. What I can see, are the moments he's not around DongHae, but they're so quick, just flashes."

"If we get the others together, could you tell us what you see in those flashes?" JungMin asked, brow furrowing. "Any landmarks, buildings, anything?"

"I can try," YoungSaeng nodded. "But, it may not make sense... not that I've made much sense in the past."

"You're making perfect sense now, so it's a start," JungMin chuckled. He leaned over and kissed YoungSaeng softly. "I'm glad you're awake."

"I'm glad to be awake," YoungSaeng smiled, leaning against him. "And glad that I can speak in proper sentences... You have no idea how grateful I am for you being here. It would have been so much worse without you."

"I'm never not going to be here," JungMin replied, tucking YoungSaeng's head under his chin. "How's your head? Are lessons with Yixing over now?"

"For now, but it doesn't hurt to practice," YoungSaeng said, closing his eyes. "And it can wait until after this is over... no matter what the outcome."

"…No matter the outcome?" JungMin's brow furrowed. "How do you see this ending, Saeng?"

"If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it's better not to know," YoungSaeng said, sighing softly. "As long as the choices we make are for the greater good, then it will be okay."

"…Well now I'm worried," JungMin shook his head. He could hear others moving around downstairs. "Do you think you're up to walking around yet?"

"Don't be worried," YoungSaeng said, sitting up straighter and putting his arms around JungMin's neck. "No matter what, you and I, we're together. That's the most important part."

JungMin's lips quirked slightly. "Yeah. I'm still gonna be worried though." He wrapped his arms around YoungSaeng's waist in return, pressing a kiss to the precog's lips.

YoungSaeng returned the kiss lightly before he pulled back. "KyuJong is here, you should talk to him," he said, playing with JungMin's collar. "Tell him about KyuHyun, and what I said."

"So he can yell at me too," JungMin wrinkled his nose, tucking a strand of hair behind YoungSaeng's ear before shifting to stand. "I'll see what they're making for breakfast and bring you up some."

"KyuJong brought food from the bakery down the street," YoungSaeng grinned. "They've already eaten the good stuff so I'll have what's left."

"That didn't take too long," JungMin chuckled, padding to the door and leaving the bedroom. Heading downstairs, he saw some people were already crowded in the living room, including KyuJong and KiBum. "Morning."

"Morning," KyuJong nodded, watching him curiously. "How is YoungSaeng doing?"

"He's awake and fully coherent, we can talk to him after." JungMin leaned against the wall halfway down the stairs. "Can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Of course," KyuJong said, getting to his feet. He met JungMin at the stairs, following him to the landing at the top. "So, I heard there was an argument first thing this morning?" he said, crossing his arms.

"Yeah," JungMin sighed, rubbing the back of his head. "KyuHyun called and said he was taking care of SungMin after he was attacked, we got into a bit of a fight."

"Ah," KyuJong took a breath. "They said they could hear you in the basement, so I'm pretty sure how the fight went. SungMin was attacked though, did KyuHyun say by who?"

"No, he didn't," JungMin shook his head. "I told him I didn't want SungMin over here until we had proof he wasn't going to hurt anyone again, KyuHyun got pissed, and we yelled for a bit before hanging up. But I did talk to YoungSaeng about it after…he's said that SungMin won't be hurting anyone again."

"That's... good," KyuJong frowned slightly. "But you still don't want him over here though, do you? Even if he has changed, he's tried to kill two people in this house."

"He has, and it makes me very uncomfortable, even with YoungSaeng saying we can trust him." JungMin looked away. "But I can't afford to think selfishly with what's going on now, can I? It's doubtful KyuHyun will come back without SungMin, and we need him here."

KyuJong was quiet for a moment, watching JungMin. When he finally spoke, he touched JungMin's arm lightly. "If YoungSaeng says we can trust him, well... I trust YoungSaeng. We do need all the help we can get, especially from someone who worked with HyungJoon. I don't like it any better than you do, but maybe we have to do this. For DongHae's sake at least."

JungMin nodded. "Yeah…the important thing is to find him." He looked at KyuJong. "YoungSaeng said he can't see where HyungJoon is, he's being blocked from seeing anything too close to HyungJoon, but he is getting small flashes from DongHae when HyungJoon is away from him. We might be able to use those flashes to find them."

"Well, that's a bit of good news at least," KyuJong said. "Does he have any idea on how we're to stop HyungJoon though? He took out all of us in this house in seconds, he'll see us coming and we won't be able to touch him."

"I didn't get a chance to ask him," JungMin shook his head. "Should we get all the others here, or should we talk to him just you and me?"

"I don't think we need a dozen people crowding around YoungSaeng asking him questions," KyuJong said. "Even if he's coherent right now, we don't know what someone like HeeChul will say or do. This started with just you and me and him, we'll figure this out that way."

JungMin nodded in agreement. "Okay…I'll get him some breakfast first. And maybe a pen and paper for this." He turned to head back down the stairs before looking back at KyuJong. "Everything okay with you and Talkative?"

"Everything is... better than it was before," KyuJong smiled. "I think he's going to be around for a while, I hope you don't mind."

"He doesn't take up that much space," JungMin's lips quirked, and he nudged KyuJong's shoulder lightly before heading back down the stairs. "Yah, there better be some food left for us!"

RyeoWook had managed to rescue a few rolls for YoungSaeng and JungMin, holding them out to him sheepishly. "Sorry hyung, they were hungry."

"I'll make some lunch in a bit," KyuJong rolled his eyes. "I keep forgetting just how much ChangMin eats. It's like he's trying to make up for the last two years of missed meals."

"I have a high metabolism," ChangMin protested.

"No, it's all going to your legs and that's why you keep getting so damn tall." JungMin took the rolls from RyeoWook. "See you upstairs in a few, KyuJong?"

"Yeah, I'll be right up," KyuJong nodded. "Let you at least eat in peace for a few minutes. Maybe I'll call KyuHyun, try and smooth things over?"

"Better you than me. If it helps, tell him I'm sorry." JungMin headed back towards the stairs. KiBum watched him go from the couch.

"Those two," KyuJong sighed, shaking his head. "Like oil and water."

"Is it horrible to say I'm glad that hasn't changed?" ChangMin snuck a roll off of RyeoWook, who ate like a bird and wouldn't have finished it anyways. "The highlight of my day used to be making bets on how long it took for them to agree on anything."

"They only agree if I make them," KyuJong said. "And that is a horrible thing to say, it's hard being a team when those two couldn't agree on anything."

"Guess it's a good thing you were the leader," Zhou Mi said. "I can't imagine working with someone who doesn't at least try to mediate between people, or acts like they're a dictator."

"See, he tries to undermine me all the time," HeeChul complained to Han Geng.

"But you have to admit, it would be boring if they agreed all the time," ChangMin grinned as Han Geng patted HeeChul's shoulder in sympathy. "Or maybe I can say that because I'm the youngest and don't have to worry about making them cooperate. You're a great leader though, no one else would be able to get through to those two when they start butting heads."

"Maybe YoungSaeng can now, at least with JungMin," KyuJong said, rubbing at his forehead. "Okay, I'm going to call KyuHyun and then see what YoungSaeng has to say. Try not to destroy the house." Leaning over, he gave KiBum a kiss before getting up and disappearing into the kitchen to make his phone call.

"I'll make sure nothing happens," Zhou Mi chuckled, his arms around RyeoWook's neck.

"I can't wait until we can go home," HeeChul groaned.

"Do you think it'll be over soon?" Han Geng asked.

"One way or another…" KiBum frowned. "If we're going to find DongHae, we're going to have to confront HyungJoon."

ChangMin glanced towards the basement door; Sunny had yet to come upstairs. "I'd like to give that guy a piece of my mind, that's for sure."

"I can't believe he was sitting amongst us for so long," Zhou Mi said, his voice softening at the downturn in the conversation.

"I don't understand how it is that he was here for so long and YoungSaeng never said anything," HeeChul said. "I mean, even if he didn't have his weirdo visions or whatever, he at least should know the guys face right?"

"I've been thinking about that," Zhou mi said. "I can't remember either of them being in the same room together. It seemed like, if YoungSaeng came down, HyungJoon was already out of the room. Or he'd come up after YoungSaeng went back upstairs."

"Now, that you mention it…I can't remember them ever meeting face-to-face either," RyeoWook blinked. "It seems like something someone would have noticed, but it's been just so chaotic and there's so many people here. YoungSaeng never really went into the basement either, HyungJoon spent a lot of time there."

"He did a good job of tricking everyone," ChangMin said. "How long has he been planning this?"

"Maybe we should ask Sunny how long they were together for," HeeChul sneered.

"Don't you dare," Zhou Mi pointed a finger at him. "We are not going to insinuate that HyungJoon was using her, not to her face like that."

"Oh come on, it's not like she isn't thinking it," HeeChul retorted. "Her fiance just happened to be the guy who had kidnapped and held YoungSaeng hostage?"

Yixing suddenly flailed and draped himself across the table to cover HeeChul's mouth. "No, no!"

"What's—" ChangMin turned around when he heard footsteps up the stairs, seeing Sunny standing at the landing. was set in a thin line, the skin around her eyes red from crying.

"I'm going with you to get DongHae back. Anyone have a problem with that?"

Zhou Mi's mouth opened and closed, and he looked at the others around the table first before trying a smile up at her. "Of course not," he said, as diplomatically as possible. He ignored HeeChul's muffled protests. "We don't have a plan yet, but of course it would include you."

"Good." Sunny nodded, looking down. ChangMin hopped up and offered her his seat, RyeoWook passing her a roll.

"It'll be like old times again, almost," RyeoWook tried a smile. "Teaming up together, I mean."

"We haven't teamed up together in a very long time," Zhou Mi said, smiling a little. "As long as HeeChul can take orders from someone other than Han Geng."

"I don't take orders, not even from Geng," HeeChul protested, pushing Yixing away finally. "I will agree to whatever plan they come up with, but I'm not taking orders from anyone."

"Isn't agreeing to the plan the same as taking orders?" KiBum chuckled, moving his legs as Yixing rolled off the table and onto the floor.

"It's taking orders without admitting that he's taking orders," RyeoWook smiled at his group leader.

"Yeah, yeah, think whatever you want," HeeChul rolled his eyes. Talk around the table quieted down when KyuJong came out of the kitchen. 

"KyuHyun will be by today," KyuJong said, his expression grim. "He'll be bringing SungMin."

"So that's why he called last night asking for TaeYeon's number…" RyeoWook drew his legs up to his chest, leaning against Zhou Mi.

"And we're absolutely sure this guy's on our side now," ChangMin clarified.

"He wouldn't be allowed here if there was any doubt, and we do need KyuHyun." KiBum looked at KyuJong. "Are we going to have a chance to talk to YoungSaeng?"

"At some point, yes," KyuJong nodded. "JungMin and I want to talk to him first, not overwhelm him. We don't know how much control he really has and too many people talking to him at once could be counterproductive." He made it a point to look at HeeChul who just shrugged and looked away.

"We understand, and we're glad YoungSaeng is feeling better," Zhou Mi said.

"I'll call HyunJoong to join us," KiBum said. "With JongWoon."

"I don't make it a point of feeling any sympathy for someone who'd make a list of people to kill, but if Parasyntax has been after him for information all night, I wouldn't want to be in that guy's shoes at all," ChangMin winced.

"Especially considering it was DongHae that was taken," KyuJong said. "Maybe it wasn't a good idea to let HyunJoong keep an eye on him. I have zero sympathy for JongWoon as well, but HyunJoong could do... any number of things to him without killing him and that's not what we want."

"We'll see if that's a problem when they get here, hopefully we'll be able to ship him off to jail soon." KiBum stood up to go make the call, giving KyuJong a kiss on the way by.

"Is everyone here dating now?" ChangMin protested loudly. "It's only been two years guys! What am I supposed to do?"

"Yixing's single," RyeoWook pointed out. "Yixing, gěi tā yīgè wěn," he pointed at ChangMin.

"What?" ChangMin blinked at him, then at Yixing when the telepath inched closer. "What did you say?—HEY, HEY, WAIT," he scrambled to his feet when Yixing tried to plant a kiss on his cheek. He ran off into the basement, shrieking when Yixing chased after him.

"I learned that one from you," RyeoWook grinned at Zhou Mi.

"That was mean," Zhou Mi couldn't help but laugh a little.

"If you guys could keep it down," KyuJong chuckled on his way to the stairs. "Someone let me know when HyunJoong gets here, I want to talk to him as well."

"We'll let you know," KiBum said over the loud protesting from the basement.

Upstairs, JungMin was sitting beside YoungSaeng on the bed, a pen and paper beside him and finishing his breakfast. "…What exploded now," he blinked at KyuJong when he came in.

"Teasing ChangMin, some things never change," KyuJong said, taking a seat in the chair. "I called KyuHyun, he and SungMin will be by later after SungMin gets another healing session with TaeYeon. HyunJoong will be by shortly as well."

"Wasn't a good idea letting him take the Voice," YoungSaeng said, his eyebrows knitted. "Don't let him take him again tonight."

"…Somehow, I'm not surprised," JungMin sighed, rubbing the back of his head. "Where else can we put the guy though? We can't send him off to the police until we've caught HyungJoon, in case we need him. But I don't exactly have any more room here, would we put him in the attic?"

"Let's worry about one thing at a time," KyuJong said. "We can discuss it again when they get here. There are other options."

"There's always the closet," YoungSaeng said, his knees drawn up to his chest, leaning back against the headboard.

"…You know there's no more room when you're sticking people in closets," JungMin sighed, dusting off his hands and picking up the pen and paper. "Okay…can we go through those flashes you were talking about, Saeng? If you can see anything in them that might be useful, anything at all, I'll write it down."

YoungSaeng pouted a little at that, looking down at his hands. "It's... it's really hard to describe. I can see DongHae, but the surroundings don't make any sense. I see an alley, it's dark. Then a garden, and fish. And... a tiger, and a dragon. A paper door, and I hear a sound of creaking wood, and water."

JungMin wrote everything down, frowning. "A…tiger and a dragon? Like, statues?"

"No... moving, colorful," YoungSaeng said, shaking his head. "It doesn't make any sense to me. They're... I don't know. I can hear them, and DongHae's... happy? He's happy about it, them."

Frowning down at the paper, JungMin sighed softly before looking at KyuJong. "This making any sense to you? Someplace with a garden, a pond, and…paper doors, so a traditional house."

"Sounds like it," KyuJong nodded. "That doesn't exactly narrow it down. There are traditional houses all over. In the city, out of the city. He could be anywhere. Can you give us anything more specific YoungSaeng?"

"There's... a moon," YoungSaeng said. "That's it, that's all I can see. Anything past that point is completely clouded. HyungJoon doesn't want me knowing anything about where he is, or what will happen... if you even find him."

"And I'm guessing he'll be blocking anyone else who could find out where he is, like Yixing." JungMin messed up his hair, looking down at the paper. "Well, let's share this with the others, maybe we'll get lucky. If not, we've got a long search ahead of us."

"I'm sorry, it's not much to go on," YoungSaeng said, sighing a little.

"We've worked with less," KyuJong said. "We'll find him. We have to, it's what we do."

JungMin stretched out his arms, nodding. "You'll let us know if you see anything else?" He looked at YoungSaeng. "Maybe we'll get lucky, maybe HyungJoon will go out to lunch and we'll have a clear shot at whatever's happening around DongHae."

"We'll see," YoungSaeng quirked a sad smile, closing his eyes. He didn't even react when there was a knock on the door. KyuJong got up to open it, peeking out through a crack.

"HyunJoong's here," Zhou Mi on the other side said. "You and JungMin should probably come down."

"…This can't be good," JungMin frowned, standing. "I'll be back soon Saeng," he squeezed YoungSaeng's hand lightly before following KyuJong to the door and out into the hallway.

The main floor seemed a little quiet now, KyuJong's lips pursed a little as he got to the bottom of the stairs. HyunJoong had parked JongWoon in a chair on the other side of the room from everyone else, his expression grim. "So, we know where he is yet? This guy is useless, he doesn't know anything."

"... No, we're still working on it," KyuJong replied. "But we may have a lead. Not that we know what it means yet, but it's something to go on."

"Let's hear it then?" ChangMin was back up from the basement, leaning against the wall and eyeing HyunJoong. JongWoon was slumped forward in his chair, elbows on his knees. "Unless you think we should wait for KyuHyun and SungMin."

"They coming soon or later?" JungMin glanced at KyuJong.

"Later, I think," KyuJong said, sitting down next to KiBum. "We can catch them up on it. JungMin, why don't you read off what YoungSaeng told us."

Nodding, JungMin looked down at the paper in his hands. "HyungJoon's shrouding himself so that YoungSaeng and anyone else who can look for him, won't be able to find him. But Saeng's been able to catch glimpses around DongHae in the few moments HyungJoon hasn't been around him. We're not quite sure what any of it means, so if you do, speak up." He went over the different fragments written down on the paper.

KyuJong looked around at the others, confused looks on everyone's expressions. "The best we figured was a traditional house somewhere. But that could be anywhere. There's no landmarks or anything to give us an idea of where to start."

"A needle in a very large haystack," Zhou Mi said. 

"Doesn't mean we're not going to look," HyunJoong said, arms crossed. "If we have to knock on every house in the country."

"Of course we're going to look," JungMin eyed HyunJoong. "But we need to narrow it down a little more, or else we won't be able to find DongHae in time."

"Narrow it down how?" KiBum resisted the urge to pace.

"The dragon and tiger, were they on a windchime?" JongWoon murmured, head down.

Every eye in the room swiveled to JongWoon, even HyunJoong's though he was frowning. "A.. windchime?" KyuJong asked, looking to JungMin. "YoungSaeng didn't say, he just said they made DongHae happy or... something. Why would you think it's a windchime?"

"I remember…" JongWoon rubbed his forehead, eyeing HyunJoong warily from under his bangs. "When we were little, we got lost around our neighborhood…there was a house with a pond and those windchimes in the back yard. Joon tried to catch a fish from the pond and fell in."

"…You think HyungJoon might have brought DongHae there?" KiBum asked, frowning.

"Maybe? I didn't…think HyungJoon even remembered about that house," JongWoon shook his head. "He said he wanted to live there a long time ago, but I don't even remember what street it was on."

"But it's a house in or around your old neighborhood," KyuJong confirmed. "Well, that's a start at least. Would you recognize the house again if you saw it?"

"This could be a trap," HyunJoong said. "Another trap."

"Hypnotize him again and ask him if it's a trap," JungMin paced back and forth. "Whether it is or not, that house is the last place YoungSaeng saw DongHae, so we're looking for it."

"I should be able to recognize it," JongWoon nodded slowly.

"Can we get a map?" RyeoWook asked, and JungMin went to find one. "I can do a fly-over, if it's got a pond in the backyard maybe I can spot it."

"That's a good idea," KyuJong nodded. "But be careful. HyungJoon will know we're looking for him, and he'll be suspicious of any birds in the air. We don't know what kinds of abilities he has, obviously that color thing he showed us was a ruse."

"Can you tell us how many powers he has?" HyunJoong looked to JongWoon. "Remember, the truth."

"I don't remember how many powers he has, that's the truth," JongWoon leaned away from HyunJoong. "Upwards of ten? Fifteen?"

"Well, we're in trouble," ChangMin mumbled. "Especially if he makes us all pass out again, he seems to like doing that."

"Yixing can block powers, can't he?" KiBum asked.

Han Geng relayed that to the Chinese man, and frowned when Yixing started shaking his head quickly. "He doesn't think he can block more than one ability at a time, and that's if he reaches HyungJoon before HyungJoon reaches him."

"We may have to take that chance," KyuJong said, sighing a little. "As of right now I'm not seeing very many options. HyungJoon is powerful, that we can agree on. But so are we."

"He's already kicked our twice, all by himself," HeeChul said, crossing his arms. "I don't know about any of you, but I think I'd rather just get myself a plane ticket and go somewhere else."

"We're not leaving it at this, he's not going to win," ChangMin said, lips pressed thinly together.

JungMin came back with a slightly outdated map of the city, opening it on the table. "We didn't know what we were up against before…now we do. He's not going to get the better of us this time."

"Somehow, I'm not convinced," HeeChul said, leaning back into his chair and frowning a little.

"No one's making you go HeeChul," KyuJong said, a little bite to his words. "But if you're going to sit here while we do this, kindly shut up." He turned his attention to RyeoWook with a smile. "You should probably avoid being a canary, it's a little too recognizable and out of place in Seoul."

HyunJoong poked at the back of JongWoon's head. "Show us where the neighborhood is."

JongWoon flinched away, leaning over to search the map. After a moment he repositioned the map to show Mapo district. "We lived around here," he pointed to a street corner.

JungMin marked it off on the map. "So the house could be anywhere within walking distance of here. How long were you lost for before you found it?"

"I don't remember," JongWoon shook his head.

"We'll focus the search on Mapo for now, and if we can't find anything we'll look in the neighboring district," KyuJong said, looking up at RyeoWook. "Don't tire yourself out. Once the sun goes down, maybe KiBum can try."

RyeoWook nodded, standing and stretching out his arms. "See you at sundown," he smiled, leaning over to give Zhou Mi a kiss before heading towards the back door.

"Be careful," Zhou Mi called after him. KyuJong could see the worry in the Chinese man's eyes and didn't blame him. Considering the last time RyeoWook had flown anywhere like this he'd been nearly killed, and now he was flying right into a hornet's nest.