Chapter 2 : It Was 20 Million Won!

It Started With A Debt

 

 

“Yah! Give me back my camera!” Jaekyung snapped back her camera from her friend Minhee.

 

“I was just trying your camera out! You’re so defensive with that thing!” she laughed at her.

 

“Do you know how much this is? I have to be careful with everything I own, I worked hard for this.” She checked her camera for damages.

 

“Tsk, if only your uncle works! Look at you, you are the one working for the two of you, doing a part-time in a bakery. Good thing you can still study college! And good thing you don’t look like a skeleton!” Minhee said.

 

“Don’t tell that to my uncle, he’s a little sick you know. I wanted to punch him one time! But I can’t, and I don’t have any other family more than him.” She glared at Minhee.

 

“Stop your being a saint Jaekyung! Your uncle won’t do you any good! Just live with us, I won’t ask you to pay for the house. Just leave your uncle, I have a very bad feeling one time he will kill you.” She pouted.

 

“Stop saying that Minhee! My uncle won’t kill me! You’re a crazy girl! Aissh, I’m going home now. I need to fix my portfolio before I head to the bakery. See you tomorrow!” she waved at Minhee and left.

 

“Aissh, that girl, she didn’t even took a bus.” Minhee hissed.

 

--

 

Jaekyung walked to their apartment. She bought her uncle some rice cakes. When she reached the apartment, it was like all the other days, quiet.

 

She opened the door, since she has a key. “Uncle, I’m here now, I bought you some rice cakes.”

 

Her uncle came from his bedroom and greeted her, “Oh, Jaekyung, you shouldn’t have bothered bringing me food. Sit down, I cooked you some food.” Her uncle patted her shoulder. Jaekyung was confused. Her uncle was not that kind to her, usually he won’t talk to her, and he don’t cook for her. She felt somehow, happy.

 

She sat on the kitchen and began to choose which food to eat. There was a variety of food her uncle has cooked. She started eating kimbap first.

 

“Go and eat a lot Jaekyung, I know you’re tired from school.” Her uncle sat on the opposite chair.

 

When she was done eating she began to pick up the dishes to wash them but her uncle snapped them.

 

“No, no, I’ll wash them Jaekyung. You I guess, must pack your clothes.” Jaekyung was confused.

 

“Why would I pack my clothes?”

 

Her uncle didn’t answer. He looked tense, that sweat was dripping down the side of his face.

 

“Uncle tell me! Did something happened!? Why must I pack my clothes?” Jaekyung was trying very hard not to shout at him, but she felt really perplexed at the moment.

 

“Jaekyung,I- I” but before he could say anything there was a loud knock on the door.

 

“I’ll open it.” Jaekyung told her uncle. Her uncle was more than nervous now, he could barely stand straight.

 

Jaekyung opened the door and found 5 men wearing black suits standing outside.

 

“Who are you? What do you want?” she glared at them.

 

“Oh, so your uncle hasn’t told you? We’ll explain later, you look different in the picture, you’re not that tall, but I guess you’ll be fine, have you packed your things?” the man in front of her told her.

 

“What? Why would I pack my things? Who the hell are you? Excuse me, you must have mistaken.” Jaekyung closed the door but the man pushed it that she stumbled on the floor due to the strength.

“Your uncle hasn’t told you? Old man, tell her what we have talked about earlier!” the man sounded mad.

 

Her uncle didn’t speak. Jaekyung was looking at her uncle with confusion. She stood back up. “Uncle, what is going on here?” her face was serious.

 

“Jaekyung..I-I-‘m sorry Jaekyung! It’s all my fault!” her uncle kneeled down at her and cried.

 

“What are you doing? What are you sorry for?” Jaekyung told her uncle, still confused.

 

“He gave you to us in exchange of his debt!” the man on the door spoke out.

 

Jaekyung’s eyes widened in disbelief. “What are you saying? Stop trash-talking like that!” she shouted at the man outside.

 

They laughed.

 

“You think we’re playing games with you, young lady, he doesn’t have any more money to pay us, and if he won’t give us something back, he will pay for it with his life!” the man who pushed the door a while ago told her as he held her hand. “Now, come on we don’t have much time!” he grabbed her but she kicked his leg.

 

“I won’t go with you! How much does he owe you?!” she looked at the man who was actually massaging his leg.

 

He laughed. “You’ll pay for it? If I tell you the price you might not be able to breathe.”

 

“How much is it!” she shouted and gave him an evil glare.

 

“You’re such a brave girl, our boss will surely be amused, “ he said. “he owe us 20 million won.”

 

“20 million won!?” She was surprised. Where the hell will she get 20 Million Won? She thought.

 

“Uncle, why did you borrow such an amount of money! You shouldn’t have-“

 

“It wasn’t 20 million at first but the interest made it worst.” Her uncle told her, still kneeling in front of her.

 

“What?  You’re shocked? You must be. Good thing our boss has agreed to have you instead of killing him in bits!” the man laughed.

 

“I’ll pay you, just give me some time, I promise.” She told them.

 

“No! We’ve had enough, you must come with us, we have made a deal! We’ll take you!” he then grabbed her. She tried to release herself, to escape but she felt a cloth covered , it has a weird smell, and she out.