Athletic as Me

Shadow of Love

February 13, Saturday. Krystal was not yet fully recovered, yet determined to participate in the event. She wore the pink jogging suit as the participants uniform for the program. "Fighting." She said to herself." She went to her drawer and brought out a cute teddybear keychain she purchased in a bookstore yesterday. She put it inside a gift box with a simple letter "Thank you oppa." It was her thanksgiving gift for Minho who helped her from the minor accident two weeks ago. She was leaving when her mother who was on the garden noticed her.

"Baby, you're still going? Your wound is not yet healed." Her mother was concerned.

"Mommy. Better to join than to die of boredom. Don't worry since Minho oppa is also there.". Krystal did not mind her condition. She rather choose to play and see her oppa than to spend all day again in her room.

"Okay. But you didn't eat yet,"

"Mrs. Lee packed me sandwich, I will eat it if I'm already hungry."

"Okay. Wish you good luck!"

Krystal paused for a moment then asked her "Ahhmm Mommy, do you want to go with me?" Saturday is her mother's day off so she realized that her mother can join her to cheer her up in the venue.

"Sorry dear, I have some appointment. Will see next time, okay?"

"I see." Then Krystal left. As usual, her mother would rather mind other business than to support her daughter.

The venue is an open basketball court. As Krystal arrived near entrance, she saw vendors lining-up along the corner, selling varieties of snacks and valentines stuffs like roses, chocolates, and dolls. She could already smell the valentine's day feast with red and white colored heart shapes and cupids signs and flaglettes floating everywhere. The crowd was already excited as the screaming and whistling were overheard throughout the surrounding. As she was passing through the gate, she saw some fan banners of different participants hanging on the wall and one of them has Minho's in. His picture was displayed with he word "Ace" as his moniker. Ace? Krystal was curious on how the was called an ace, although she knows the meaning of it.

"Krystal!"

She turned around to see the guy who called her and she was right. "Oppa."

Minho ran towards her and examined her knee. "Is your knee okay now?"

Krystal face delighted seeing him again, it was two weeks since the incident and she was unexplainably happy about it. "Yes oppa." Though oppa was already in front of her, her tongue pressed unable to say what she intended too.

"Great. Come, I will introduce to you to your partner." He held her hand and they went to search the person.

Krystal followed though she suddenly despise the idea of being partnered with any one except him.

The man is in 30's, a few inched shorter than Minho and has a brown complexion.  He was all-smiling from west to east, when he saw Krystal. "So you are Krystal? I'm Cheon Myeonghun hehehe Minho you gave me a pretty partner."

She looked at her partner and wanted to dump him all at once, although there is no more option than to accept him. Forcefully, she walked with her partner when an organizer called them in front. She was quietly irritable at the way fans teasing them.

"He walks like an old millionaire who just caught a ladylove besides him." Some fans made fun of them.

Together with the game committee, the MC explained to them how the valentine's game show will flow. Their partner now is only temporary for in three games, there will be changes. The first game is Cliff Climbing where they will play with their current partner. The second game is Tug of War in which their partner will be assigned depending on their ranking. And the final game is the Pause-Position Dance in which they will be partnered by chance. The objectives of these games are to determine the best players and to test the compatibility among players as couples. The players agreed on that especially Krystal who thinks there will be a chance to be coupled with Minho.

There were six couples that are participating: Minho-Victoria, Jonghyun-Yuri, Junho-Hyoyeon, Danny-Bora, Eunhyuk Juri, and Myeonghun-Krystal. Minho decided to back out the game when Jessica withdraw, but with the organizers request, he stayed. He is the most popular participant among the villagers and having him in a show will always be jam packed venue. He got the loudest cheer as he is highly favored to win the game. Krystal witnessed how Minho is adored by her fans, she herself understand why they like him.

The MC introduced them one-by-one to the crowd and when Krystal's turn, all the attention went to her. She suddenly felt tense about it.

"Oh we have a new participant here. For those who don't know, she's the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jaeyoung and Kanghye Jung, the professional boxer and gymnast athletes back in 80's. Let's give her a warm of applause, Krystal!" She vowed down as she heard her name, she never see this many people watching her before. Her eyes were whirling around and caught Minho cheerfully looking at her. She blushed as she had to introduce herself.

"Hello. I'm Krystal Jung, nice to meet you all." She was noticeably tense as her voice was bit shaking.

"Krystal you look nervous. You partner might creep you out?" The MC asked her, cracking some joke while Myeonghun hit complaint hilariously that caused burst out laughter.

"Ahh no." Krystal answered.

"So are you satisfied with him?"

"Of course." Although she did not like her partner at first, Myeonghyun seems a nice person.

"Okay, let's begin our first game. It's called Cliff Climbing. Each couple must decide who will climb the 25x25 ft. wall and the one who will throw the cliff hanger. As you can see there are holes in there and to be able to lead up, the climber has to insert the hangers in some holes until he will reach the top. Buttons with 10, 20, and 30 points must be pushed to get the scores. The team who reaches the cliff edge at the least time will get additional 50 points! Everybody clapped their hands at the games description.

"Okay let's begin, the first couple to play... Minho and Victoria!"

"Minho oppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" Fangirls went crazy hearing Minho's name again. The anticipators already predicted him will be the top contender.

Krystal on the side observed Minho's partner is older than him, unexpectedly she got struck by jealous at the sight of them.

"Minho said he will be the climber and Victoria will supported him." MC announced.

Minho was protected by a wire cord on his back, attached to the supporting belt on his waist to ensure his safetiness while leading the cliff. He got himself ready at the signed of the announcer.

"Okay timer starts now!"

With his flaming eyes, he climbed the wall effortlessly possessing both balance and endurance. He headed to the top as he kept pushing the score buttons to add more for his team..

"Oh The Ace is really fast!" The MC commented as he found himself amazed with this boy's ability. The crowd cheered him, until he reached the top in 1 minute and 16 seconds.

Now, Krystal discovered why Minho was called an Ace, he is truly good at it.

"Minho Team got a total of 200 points!" MC shouted.

He went down happily satisfied with the score. He came to his partner and they high-five each other.

"Next couple is Jonghyun-Yuri." Their team is the second most popular among the participants. To have a Yuri is a crowd drawer for she has a perfect S-line body. Same as Jonghyun, who is famous among girls in the village.

Krystal caught Minho's eyes glistening on Yuri and she did not like it.

"Okay. Jonghyun is ready now... 1... 2,,, 3...go!"

Jonghyun is quick but not as fast as Minho. He is also less taller as he struggled to beat Minho's time. At the end, he got only 150 points in 1 minute and 24 seconds placing them in second. The other couples played subsequently and got placed according to their scores.

The last team to play for the first game is Myeonghun and Krystal. Prior on that, Krystal was already figuring out on how they will win the first game. She could not fully trust her partner since he looks less serious about the game. She can assess his partner's ability just by seeing the level of his confidence,

"Sir." She touched his shoulder.

"Oh no Krystal, don't ever call me sir, just Myeonghun-shi." He asked her.

"Okay Myeonghun-shi. Will you agree if I will be the one to climb it? Krystal asked him.

"Really? You can climb that? He was shocked to hear that.

"Hmm I just tried it before." Krystal answered.

"Okay if you think you can do it I'll support you then." Myeonghun could not argue more as he cannot trust himself either. He better support this eager one to climb than him humiliating their team.

"Okay. Are you ready Myeonhun? The MC asked him, calling his team.

"Wait Krystal will be the one to climb." He informed the MC.

Everybody were surprised when the announcer announced that Krystal will climb rather than her partner. They were impressed on how this girl bravely volunteered to do the hard task. In South Korea, It is not normal to see an ordinary girl to play this game unless she is trained about it. Minho who was then sitting at the bench was bothered by the fact that Krystal might be harmed again. He went to her with opposing look.

"Are you sure you want to climb there, it will be dangerous for you?" He asked her concernedly.

"Yes oppa, I already did this before." Krystal answered as she was getting herself ready.

"How about your injury?"

"I'll be fine."

Minho could not stop her, so he just stood at the side, hoping Krystal to be careful.

"Wow this is the first time to see a girl confront her male competitors. Let's see how she can make it. Are you ready now Krystal?" Said by the MC.

"Yes." She nodded.

"Okay, time starts now!"

When the time buzzed, Krystal started climbing the wall. With the help of her partner, she received the hanger thrown to her and inserted it to the hole step by step. She kept pressing the buttons whenever she passed them. She did it calmly and gracefully. She looks like a pro climber doing it as everybody were fascinated watching her especially Minho on the side.

"Wow she looks like spider woman. A beautiful spider." the MC commented.

Krystal strategically climbed the wall from right to left direction until she reached the top. Being the girl who finished the game in 1 minute and 40 seconds with 145 points is already an excellent job from her part. She was set to go down when Myeonghun requested her to do a cute stunt in which Krystal understood. She flies jumped (with a supporting wire) from the 25 ft. and raised her hand on air like wonderwoman  She charmed the audience with her move.

Minho understand now why Krystal enthusiastically likes to participate in the game show. Compared to her older sister, she is more athletic just like her parents. When she landed, she slightly twisted her knee and swiftly felt the pang of it. Minho noticed that and went to her side to check her.

"I'm okay oppa." Krystal made sure that nothing to worry about.

"You're doing great, continue the good work." He told her.

Krystal went pink at his words. She was actually unsatisfied with her scores and yet Minho's encouragement boost her more. Her partner and other players approached her and praised her as well.

to be continued....