The Girls' Agony

Shadow of Love

It was late afternoon when they finished their one day journey, tired yet satisfied. When they were already inside the car, Krystal's mother called. She had to step outside again so she can clearly hear her.

"Hello Mommy."
 
"Baby, when will you come back?"

"I'm still here. Don't worry of me. By the way, can we postpone our dinner date for tomorrow?"

"Yes. But you have to talk to Jessica. She will be online tonight."

"Please tell her I'm going to be late since I'm still with my friend."

"Okay, Just take care."

"Yes. I will. See you later." She turned off the cellphone.

When she came back inside, "Your T-shirt." Minho gave back the clothing she wore during the practice game last week.

"Oh I'm sorry I forgot this. Thanks." He could not say that it was his mother who found it.

She ped her bag to put the T-shirt inside when she saw a shoebox therein. "What is this?"

"Open it."

She opened the box and saw a Mizuno Volleyball Shoes in a white, black, and pink color. She was speechless at first from her amazement "Is this for me?" It is one of the top shoe brands in Volleyball industry.

"Yes. Sorry It's the best that I can afford."

Krystal could not believe on how he did spend much money for this gift. "You already paid for everything, yet you still have present for me?" She could not suppress some tears of happiness.

"Don't mind it." Minho is actually thrifty person except when he is treating a girl. "You deserve the best shoes. I just hope you pursue your dream."

All through her life, she have to ask first before she will receive what she wanted, but now she met someone who can gives anything she did not expect. "Why?"

"You're just special." With the sincerity of his words, she could not say more but...

"Thank you." She cried and hugged him tightly. She was deeply moved on how he valued her. For the first time, she felt she is that special.

Her act of appreciation already paid the debt. Minho was not expecting her to be so thankful for she deserves everything of it. She is too shy to ask and too grateful to receive.

Krystal's arms were still clasping round his neck while staring deeply into his eyes. She tenderly asked him "Is it wrong to kiss on my birthday?" She wished to kiss him for everything he had given to her, an offer he cannot refuse. She bravely asked for it so she got it. Minho pulled her into his lap while she pushed herself firmly against him. Only their breath separated their lips as his tongue delving inside her. She moaned slightly while running their fingers around each other. They were loosing themselves in the sweetness and warmth of the second kiss when a flash came into his mind, reliving the scene where Krystal died in his dream.

"Enough!" Swallowing the milk taste of a 17, that dream reminded of what will gonna happen if he continued. It is still inappropriate for her to receive those intimate kisses. She might be willing to give in but he did not want them to suffer again from the consequence of wrongdoing.

"Why?" She asked him while her eyes roaming boldly at his face.

"I can't kill you on your birthday." He said joke out of frustration. He had to limit his action despite craving.

"You already did when you stopped." She ride his joke and nestled on top of him. "If this is my last day, I would die happily." Their fingers intertwined as was hugging her.

He laughed at her statement.

"You make me something special. Like giving me happiness and the way you are protecting me." She started numerating the good deeds he did to her. "When is the right time to be with you? She paused for a moment and continued "I regret myself. Being young and immature. I need to grow more."

"You are growing now." He told her.

"Unnie and Eunseo. Hope I will be like them."

"Like I said you are unique. What makes me drawn to you is your real self. I'm not asking you to change and be like them. You will get better and better so don't rush." He said that while fondling her hair.

"It's amazing how you speak maturely. At times, you sound like a father to me, at times like a brother, a best friend, oppa, and..." She could not say the word boyfriend, only if she is allowed to say it.

"Soon we will understand all these things. Be contented with what we have. At least we can spend time together like this." He said gently.

"But what if destiny won't agree to us? Would you still treat me like this?"

"It may sound deceitful if I answer yes."

"I'm afraid."

"But for now, nothing to fear of as long as I'm here. I can protect you." His words made certain that whenever he is around she can depend on him. Krystal took a short nap after she heard it. Laying there inside Minho's arms made her feel totally comfortable and safe. They fell asleep together inside the car cuddling with the sound of music.

Mrs. Lee went to Krystal's bedroom to get her dirty clothes. Upon searching for them, she saw a man's jacket and T-shirt with same size hanging inside her baby's closet. The nanny's mind became skeptical about Krystal's secret as she hides it from her. The question is to whom, these clothes belongs to?

Minho returned home with a blooming face and full of meaning. He greeted his mother cheerfully but her dark and serious face altered his emotion. Mrs. Choi all wanted was to lecture his son and to hear his explanation for his dishonesty. Stir up by his mother's mood, he puts some question on his face.

"I want to talk with you." She said to his son.

Minho was ready to listen when his older brother got his attention.

"Come Minho. It's about to start. Pa is already inside." Minseok called him inside entertainment area.

"I'll be there Hyung. Ma, can we talk that later?" He asked her.

They will watch football game between Celtic and Rangers. His mother allowed him and postponed the sermon, giving him time to enjoy the game with them.

Krystal was probably the happiest girl that day. Spending her 17th birthday with her Oppa was the best and most unforgettable experience for her. She could still feels the tingling sensation when she is with him the other day. After a day of training, she rushed to his car to meet him again. However, her heart sank when she saw him laying his forehead on steering wheel.

"Oppa."

"Ohh" Minho lifted his head. His eyes were red and watery, his face looks tired and lack of energy.

"What happen to you?" Krystal came to him and touched his neck. He has fever! She was in instant panic. Fighting her fear, she got her face towel from her bag and wiped it on him.

"I couldn't sleep last night. My head was so heavy." He informed her.

She ran the cloth on his face, down to his neck, and back. He was sweating too much even they had cold climate, so she turned off the aircond.

"Oppa Let's go now. If you can't drive I'll call a taxi." She told him, full of concern.

"I can do it." He started the engine and drove the car. Krystal noticed he is still determined to send her home even if he is already sick.

"Please not this way, I can go home myself." She stopped him seeing his condition like this. Minho has to rest and so Krystal did not mind to walk as long as her oppa could rest.

He agreed. She got off before entering his side of village. She wanted to stay and take care of him, but their status was preventing her to do so.

"Rest well Oppa. I will call you later." She advised him, affected by his current state.

"Okay. Thank you." He answered. She hugged him and went home slowly as she was thinking of his health.

Later, Mrs. Choi noticed Minho's absence during dinner. She went to his son's bedroom and found him coughing heavily.

"Son?" She went to him as he looks very sick. "Your temperature is so high. How did you get this?"

"I don't know. Just last night (cough), I could not able to study." He told his mother. The phlegm from his respiratory made him hard to breath.

"Just rest. I will call your Uncle Dongmin to check you." She told him. Her first cousin is a family physician that she always call whenever there is sick in her family.

Krystal felt guilty of leaving her oppa in times of this. She should stay with him and ignore the consequence of it. It was her fifth call already and he did not answer. She got a bad feeling that his condition got worsen. It made her worrying helpless in this situation. Carrying the burden alone, she really need some help from her mother or nanny.

Minho chilled as his body temperature increased up to 40 degree celsius. His mother could not sleep as well, attending his need. His uncle already checked him and advised him to take some flu medicines to relieve the symptoms. They followed all the doctor had said, however his body heat still registered to more than 40 degree which alarmed the mother. Meantime, Krystal could not sleep either. Bugged by negative thoughts and feelings, she wanted to go to him in the middle of night and do whatever she can to make him feel better. She attempted to escape from her window to avoid her family's attention. Unfortunately, as she was climbing down her nanny caught her, who was then sipping some hot tea.  
 
"Krystal?! What are you doing there?" She went to her.
 
"Nanny!" Her eyes went big when she caught her. She was then frustrated as her plan did not succeed.
 
"Why are you escaping? My goodness! Go back to your room!" The old woman commanded her. Krystal obeyed for she was scared of her nanny would do. Mrs. Lee followed her to her room and saw her weeping silently.
 
"Krystal, what triggered you to do that this time?"
 
"Oppa." She answered. "He is sick."
 
"Who's oppa? Your boyfriend?"
 
"Minho. There's nothing I can do. Please don't tell this to Daddy." Her voice trembling in anxiety. The nanny went beside her to calm her. "I kept it secret 'cause if Daddy will find out that we're seeing each other, he'll gonna separate us again."
 
"Your Daddy is just concern for both of you, but yes I won't say anything."
 
"Mrs. Lee I want to go there to see him now. I'm too stress about his condition. I was calling him and he's not answering."
 
"Everything will be alright. He's with his family, he's safe." She assured her.
 
"I also want to take care of him."
 
"What you can do now is to sleep. You can visit him tomorrow. Just stay calm, okay?"
 
"I can't."  
 
"Don't think too much. Just pray."
 
Mrs. Lee stayed in Krystal's bedroom. She, too could not able to sleep as Krystal continued worrying about her oppa. It was the nanny's first time to see her so affected on someone's condition. Well it is understandable since Minho is also caring to her. As the dawn breaks, Krystal prepared herself and all the things she needed to take care of Minho. Before leaving the house, Mrs. Lee gave to her some dried Korean ginseng root she planted at their backyard.
 
"Tell Mrs. Choi, the extract treats cold and flu." She told her.
 
"Thanks Nanny." She rode on her bike and drove fastly.  
 
"Be careful!"
 
"I will!"
 
When Krystal was already at Choi's gate, something hit her that made her unexplainably nervous. It was her third time to visit his house and only second time to see his mother. She pushed the doorbell and the maid in her 30's answered it.
 
"Yes?"
 
"Good Morning. I'm Minho oppa's friend. I'm here to visit him."
 
"Come in."
 
"Thanks."
 
She led Krystal to the living room where she had to wait."
 
"I'll call his mother."
 
"Thanks."
 
Mrs. Choi had finish washing the bowl Minho had used. He fell asleep again after he took medicine. His fever slightly declined that morning. The maid knocked on the door and informed the mother about the visitor.
 
"Mam someone wants to see Sir Minho."
 
"Who is it?"
 
"I didn't ask but a young girl."
 
"Wait, I'll go down."
 
Mrs. Choi went to meet her. Her unexpected visit triggered irritation from the mother. Krystal innocently approached her.
 
"Good Morning Auntie. I'm here to visit Minho oppa." She greeted her, bowing 45 degree to the old woman that she just twice met.
 
Minho's mother looked down from her head to feet. Krystal looks like she just hit puberty with her untied hair and simple shirt and jeans. With her eyes look swollen from cry, this girl is too raw for her son. "He's sleeping. He can't accept visitors now." She said to her, maintaining her posture out of bursting irritation.
 
"But can I see him just for a moment?" The girl hoping to spend even little time with her oppa.
 
"You'll just disturb him. If you will excuse me, I have plenty of things to do." Mrs. Choi hates Krystal's presence enough to leave her quickly. She did not want to stay long for she will only say things this girl never wish to hear.
 
The intense look from Mrs. Choi was quiet scary. Krystal did not expect that kind of reception from her as the mother's gesture told her to go home now.
 
"But how is he?" Her only concern is his condition. It will be fine to leave if he is already okay.  
 
Mrs. Choi turned her side to face her again. "He's still sick. I'm looking after him."  
 
"I bought ginseng for Oppa. My nanny planted this from our backyard. She said it can help to cure his sickness. I'm going now." She put the the ginseng root on the table and started to leave. Knowing he has mother to nurse him, made her more at ease now than last night.  
 
The mother made an unkind smirk from her face. She did not accept the gift "Why are you showing so concern?"
 
"Huh?" Krystal paused for a moment. She did not expect that kind of question, yet she has the answer. "I'm doing the same thing he did to me when I was in the hospital. I want to take care of him especially now that he needs my service."
 
"Take care or take away?"
 
Unable to answer her question, It sounded like she is an opportunist, taking advantage of any opportunity to be with him. "I'm not like that."
 
"Yes you are. Do you think I'm an idiot not to sense what you are planning?"
 
"I don't understand." She protested.
 
"You know what I mean. You know that my son is committed. And you're trying to get his attention away from his girlfriend."
 
Every word she said was like a knife stabbing her, it hurts her so much to hear it.
 
"Stop it!" She shouted. Tears falling again from her swollen eyes. If only Mrs. Choi knows how she suffers from it.
 
"You don't want to hear it 'cause it's true. Do you think I will approve your relationship? No! To tell you the truth, Eunseo is far better than you."
 
"Did Oppa told you about this?" Krystal raised the question even she thinks he will not do it. It made her curious on how Mrs. Choi discovered their secret affair.

"No. He won't dare to tell me 'cause he knows I dislike it."
 
"I think you just realized. Deep inside, you know how much your son loves me." Krystal's statement is like a slapped on her.
 
Mrs. Choi came to her face to face. Her merciless gaze was confronting her. She purposely became hostile to her, as this girl remained persistent. "How dare you say that. Delusional! My son is too good for you to say that."
 
"Call me whatever you want, but I'm not giving up my love for him." She turned her back to the mother, picked her bag and moved to leave. Krystal did not mean to disrespect Mrs. Choi, the old woman just trying her best to humiliate her.  
 
"How do you know about love? You're a spoiled brat kid, needy for attentions. You're aiming for him just like a candy." It froze Krystal. Mrs. Choi sighed heavily. "I raised Minho to be a good man as he is right now. As his mother, I only hope for my son's good future. Having a nice wife and good children." The mother sdded. "Now answer me, do you think you are qualified to be his wife?" Krystal got muted by the words. "I don't want you to bring here the same fate you are bringing to your family. I never heard anything good from you. Well that alone will explains why I detest you." Then the mother left her. Her words were piercing inside her mind.  
 
As she leaving the house, Eunseo came in. Their path crossed at the gate.
 
"Krystal?" Eunseo asked her as this girl look familiar to her. She was the victim of hazing in Cheonan and a friend of Minho, she used to jealous with.
 
"Yes." Facing her biggest rival, she could not utter more.
 
"Why are you crying?" She noticed her eyes.
 
Krystal brushed it away "Nothing. I have to leave now." Mrs. Choi Jiwoo's insult is enough for her. She did not wish to experience another painful encounter this time with this woman.

Those words kept replaying in Krystal's mind. She was hurting inside despite the good intention she has. Minho is too good for her and all she can see now is her imperfection. How she wish to turn back the time and be a nice girl he could be proud of in front of his mother. She sat down beneath the big tree in front of Choi's gate, trying to calm herself from the prejudice she had received. She stayed there for some couple of times, waiting at a good news inside. One moment, a car came. It was Minho's brother. A heaven sent for her, she ran towards him.

"Oppa! Good Morning." She bowed down in respect to the older guy.

Minseok slide down the car window "Ohh Krystal. Good Morning too. What are you doing outside? Come in."

"No Oppa, I already visit earlier. But I want to ask about Minho Oppa's latest condition?"

"Not good. His fever remain high, so I came back to bring him to hospital." The news crushed Krystal even more.

"You can come with us if you want?" He asked her.

"No." She was not allowed and his brother is clueless of that. "I...I will visit him in hospital later."

"Okay."

A moment later, the car with Minho came out. He was with his family and girlfriend. Krystal saw him through the dark coated car glass. Resting his head to his girlfriend's side, she could feel the same amount of pains he was enduring during that time. Standing on the side, she watched the car going so quickly from her vision. Unable to help as much as she wanted, she then decided to go home carrying the wounded self and tormented mind.

to be continued...