The Girl is Missing

Shadow of Love

"Here we are. Stay nice Krystal." Sica told to her sister as she stopped the car in front of Cheonan main gate.

"Okay unnie, you too." She smiled. This is this first time Sica saw Krystal smiling sweetly after she seen Minho . She used to be always looking grumpy at her and now she loves the way she changes.

Krystal entered her classroom with a pleasant face. Some of her classmates even noticed it and one of them greeted her

"Good Morning Krystal!"

"Good Morning too." She responded prettily and it mesmerized her classmates. She even actively participated in the discussion which she normally bored of.

"Lt. General Walton H. Walker, was the highest ranking U.S. Military Officer to die in the Korean War on June 25, 1950. Krystal! Is it True? Or False?" Ms. Kim asked her promptly to test if she was listening to her.

"FALSE!" Krystal answered right away.

"Why False?" Her teacher asked again to make sure she knows the answer.

"Because Korean War officially started on June 25, 1950 and in fact Lt. Walton died on December 23, 1950 after a truck hit his jeep." Krystal confidently answered.

"Very Good!" The teacher was impressed by her explanation as well her classmates.

Inside school canteen, Krystal was eating her favorite grilled burger alone when one of her classmate approached her.

"Hi Krystal. If you don't mind can I seat beside you?"

"Sure." Krystal agreed.

"By the way, as you already heard I'm Park Sunyoung or just call me Luna. I'm an old student here. You know, It's been almost two weeks now since the start of the class, and I really wish to be friend with you." Luna is a friendly girl who tried to be close with everybody.

Krystal smiled to her shyly. "Really?"

"Because you're at the back and always alone so I feel like I want to know you more." Luna told her.

"I'm not really good with this."

"I understand. I can help you to be more outgoing then."

Luna is one of the honor student in the class. She is also a good singer when she showed it during the orientation. Krystal thought if Luna is consistently nice to her, they will surely. "Yes." But she set some condition since she cannot give trust easily.

"Okay." Luna felt Krystal likes her too but she could not express herself openly. "Don't worry, soon you'll find comfortable with me."

"Thanks!" She said.

While Krystal and Luna were talking with each other, the group of Hyuna who blocked Krystal last week were watching at them. Hyuna is the leader of the group of bullies, Krystal encountered  They really eyeing for Krystal for some reason. Luna noticed them and whispered to her.

"That group (pointing to Hyuna's), don't trust them. Whatever they say, just ignored them." She warned her.

"Why?" Krystal asked curiously.

"I can't tell but beware."

Krystal suspected that what Luna warned was connected to what Hyuna said when they blocked her through hallway. She was brave enough to face them but the warning sent some alarmed inside, her.

Minho just finished his almost one month of intensive practice and training. His mind and body were already conditioned for their first basketball game against rival team. Minho is actually a borrowed player from soccer team. His specialty is soccer but because of his height, he was chosen to replace the team's injured shooting guard. It was an urgent call from the team so he decided to quit soccer prior to basketball. It is his second sports after all and though he loves soccer more, his coach thinks he has more potential on basketball. Together with his teammates, they circled around said a loud prayer to boost on their confidence. They sang their alma mater song and cheered their beloved HANYANG TEAM!

March 14, White Valentine's Day and the exact day of the MBC Varsity Basketball Championship opening. Minho was wearing his basketball uniform, when he received a text message from his favorite dongsaeng.

"Oppa Happy White Valentine's Day! Sorry for not giving you a gift last month and so bad of me that I have to ask for your victory as a gift to me."

Occasionally, White Valentine's Day is when the boys paying back girls who have given them chocolates during Red Valentine's Day. Minho totally forgot it was White Valentine's until her message reminded him and he replied.

"Krystal just be there, okay? I'm expecting your loud cheer for me."

Krystal smiled on his reply.

"I'll do."

HANYANG FIGHTING!!!!! Everything was set in for the opening ceremony. There was a cheerleading show where each team's cheering squad were, joint to perform. It followed by the teams parade with their beautiful muses and cute mascots representing their school logos Each team has it's color coding, there is red, green, blue, yellow, and white motif. Altogether, the players sang the national anthem and recited the basketball oath. After the ceremony, participants left the court except for the Hanyang and Yonsei Team who took the court for their warm ups prior on match. Minho was too excited to open the game, it was his first time to play in a basketball league and wanted to give all his best for the first game. He made a sign of the cross to ask for some guidance from above.

Meanwhile, Krystal was in hurry to pack her things on her bag when Ms. Kim approached her.

"Krystal please do me a favor?"

"What Mam?"

"Can you help me to get these piles of booklets to the office?"

Krystal was in hurry but because her teacher asked help, she could not say no. She texted her sister to go to venue straightaway for she will help her teacher first.

Yeoiudo Gym is a small close venue that has only 1,000 sitting capacities. Jessica entered the venue and quickly spot Minho inside the court warming up. She then looked at her VIP ticket and search for her seat. It was the back of Yonsei's (opposite team) bench so she asked the person sitting beside about it.  

"Miss may I ask?"

"Yes you may."

"Is this the Hanyang side?"

"Yes it is, they will change court at the half time so don't worry."

"Ahh." Sica sat besides Eunseo as they followed the sitting arrangement.

"I guess you're a friend of Minho?" Eunseo asked Jessica as she knows Minho gave away VIP tickets for his
friends.

"Yes. He invited me last week."

"I see. Well I'm Eunseo, his girlfriend. Nice to meet you." She told her why extending her hand cheerfully.

"Ohh I'm Jessica. He's always telling, me about you. Nice to meet you too Eunseo." Then they smiled at each other.

Five minutes before the game will start, Minho roamed his eyes among the noisy crowd to find his girlfriend and closest friends Jonghyun, Dannym and Chansung cheering him with some banner. He also saw Jessica at the far end, but noticed a vacant seat besides her. He could not figure out who was missing then as his main focus is the start of the game. Sanchu who is the leader and power forward of the team tapped Minho's back to give him encouragement as well as his other teammates. Afterwards, the MC called the starting five of each team one by one, Yonsei first followed by Hanyang. Yonsei got warmer applause from their fellow classmates and fans, since they were the defending champion. Hanyang, on the other hand never taste championship since ten years ago. They are the underdogs of the game and less expected to win. However the hunger and thirst to win making them favorable than the other. Their supporters made a big wave and loud cheer as the time buzz starting the game. White and blue balloons scattered everywhere, same as light sticks and placards of favorite players. When Choi Minho's name was called, the crowd was enticed to see him. A good-looking rookie who wore jersey number 10, bowing to the crowd. The expectation to this young man was as high as he replaced the popular and reliable injured player of Hanyang.

Exactly 5 o'clock when Krystal finished helping her teacher. She said goodbye to Ms. Kim and rushed to go outside "I'm already late." She said to herself while looking at her watch. The basketball game already started and she still have one hour to commute. No more students left in the school as she passed through the narrow corner. She was running quickly as she could when something hits the back of her head and her fell unconsciously on the ground.

HANYANG vs YONSEI. The game started at it's highest level of intensity, with all the players are in full concentration. The referee blew his whistle and tossed the ball up between the centers of both team. One of them touched the ball in which landed to Yonsei's point guard hand, it made their supporters went wild. He dribbled the ball while running thru their court and passed it to their power forward player who was guarded by Sanchu. He attempted to shoot the ball by turning around, but missed it causing some disappointment. Sanchu rebounded the ball then quickly long passed to Minho who was already heading on their ring side. He was followed up by the off guard of Yonsei, but he could not stop him as Minho was nearly on their goal. He leaped from below and lay up the ball to it's basket using his one hand. "Choi Minho, 2 points!" The MC shouted. Hanyang team and fans celebrated as they got the first two points of the ballgame. "Wow!" the audience were amazed as the new rookie impressed them with his smooth shot.

Krystal woke up in a dark room, she was dizzy looking around to see the  silhouette of girls against the moonlight passing through the broken window. She rose slowly for she still feels the heavy pain from the back of her head.

"Hello my dear?"  One asked Krystal in a sneering sound.

"Why I'm here? What do you want from me?" Krystal asked them as she looked over the strange place.

The leader appeared from the dark. Her hair was choppy dyed in bright red same color as her lipstick and had thick black eye liner surrounded her green contact lens. She wore black tops, dark skinny jeans, and pair of boot. Dangling earrings and some funky accessories made her look like a modern gothic.

"Hyuna?!" Krystal was too surprised seeing Hyuna's new look. In school, she wears her long waivy hair decently, looking plain unlike now.

"Yes?"

"Your hair?" She asked as it she always sees her in her usual black hair.

"I just use wig in the school. You know it's the school policy. But this is the real one" Hyuna said while touching her red colored hair.

"Why did you sent me here?" Krystal was confused at situation she is in.

"Well, We just want to make friends with you."

"Friend?"

"You don't like? You must be thankful for we are friendly enough to approach you, and besides we prepared a special welcome party for you , however, in a ritual way." Hyuna said as the girls grinning at her.

"What do you mean?"

"Let me introduce to you first to our well-respected community. We are members of Tri-Psi Sorority. Our name is derived from a fictional sorority that involves an-all girl vampires club." Hyuna told her.

"In other words, we are living vampires. We bloods of the students to convert them to our group. So for you to join us, you need to yield your blood first. " The other one added.

"Why are you doing this? For fun?" She asked them.

"The more friends, the merrier. So after you joined, you can feel the sense of belongings in here."

"Hmp! I don't need this waste of time and sorry I'm not going to give you even a drop of my blood. I have to go now." Krystal tried to stand but Hyuna puched her causing her to stumble further.

"You will not go anywhere!"

"I don't like! I don't need friends who look nothing more like zombies!" Krystal scorned at them as she despised the intention of the group.

"Whether you like it or not!"

"NO!" Krystal screamed her answer.

"Okay. Let us see how brave you are, ." Hyuna grappled Krystal's hand, then four others attacked her.

Five against one. Krystal got caught in the middle of ferocious gang. She was held down on the floor by two girls, gripping each of her hand and two girls on each foot. Hyuna sat on her flat abdomen and slapped her face unceasingly. She strove hard to fight them while enduring the sharp pain across her face. Fuming with anger, she recovered her strength and kicked Hyuna causing her to fall down besides her. She put forth great force to push them one by one then tried to escape. The other girl tore her blouse as she was trying to catch her. Despite being abused, Krystal managed to run quickly away from the room.

"Damn! Follow her!" Hyuna commanded her affiliates and they followed her.

Krystal ran faster, she was panicked-stricken when she realized she was trapped by high gate wall. Her whole body shivered as she felt helpless.

"You can't escape now!" They shouted at her.

"Please stop. I beg you." Krystal cried for mercy, surrendering out of despair.

"Too late ." Hyuna spoke ruthlessly.

As her intruders got near, Krystal attempted to climb the gate, unluckily one of the girl caught her foot. The other girls pulled her hair, dragging to the floor then beat and kicked her alternately until her body was almost crushing. She cried out for help, but they covered and one of them cruelly banged, her head against the floor until blood rushed from it.

When Hyuna already sees Krystal in her devastating situation, she stopped the beating. "It's not our purpose to kill her, so let's go now."

Before they leave, Hyuna caressed Krystal's sticky with blood hair. "You chose the wrong option my dear so I'm sorry." Hyuna whispered on Krystal's semi-conscious state and went away.

Krystal could not move her body. Her hair was tousled, Her uniform was torn, and got bruises and scratches all over her body. She was chilling in cold, agonizing from physical and mental torture she underwent. She heard someone calling from near, yet she could not able to scream for help as her body was drenched in her own blood.

Meanwhile, Minho committed foul against his competitor. After their team got the first score, Yonsei made a rapid run that gave them 15 - 4 lead. Minho was there to defense against the power forward of Yonsei, trying to block him but ended pushing him. His move caused him to commit his first personal foul of the game and third team foul for Hanyang. It was not good since first quarter still has plenty of times and the team was already close to foul trouble. Their team was in full force before the game started, only when Yonsei showed up their great scoring skills that made Hanyang loosen up their morale. Minho looked to his friends to get some encouragement.  

Cheonan's security guards was patrolling at the backyard of the school. He heard something from a vacant store house and switched her flashlight on. He found no one and thought it might be a cat wandering around. Krystal is alone now. She tried to stand slowly, but unable to keep her feet steady causing her to fall moreover. She gave up trying. She laid down on the grass wishing someone that would see her and help her. She needed rest as her eyes were closing, only one word came out of "Oppa..."  

Bad night continued for Hanyang in second quarter when the defending champion Yonsei scored four 2 points consecutively. Minho could not understand how the evening became unfortunate for them. He was giving his best and yet something is lacking. He looked at his girlfriend to get some boost from her. She smiled at him and cheered, and yet still was not enough for him. The first half was a disasters for them being down by 15 points (43-28). The frustrated Hanyang team went to their dugout to rest for a couple of minutes. The coach was not satisfied at all, he was angry as seen through his face. Now the coach focus on the offensive technique.

"So this is our new plan. We have to focus on the outside shot, their center is a tight defender so we have to pass the ball to our point guards and off guards. Sanchu! Draw attentions from defender, then pass the ball to the open guards. Minho, Sangin! Please remember the post-up techniques."

"Yes coach." They answered.

The coach continued gaving off some new strategies. When he was already done, he talked to Minho.  

"Is there anything bothering you?"

"Why coach?"

"After you scored the first points, it's seems you lied down. Are you still nervous of your first game?"

"No coach. Maybe I was just overexcited about it."

"Okay, I understand. Set aside your emotion and be serious."

"Okay." Actually, Minho was not nervous, it is just he could not understand why he was off in the first half. He sat down and the water boy offered him a bottle of mineral water. He gulped the water and saw the label on it. "Krystal". The water's brandmae is Krystal Clear, imported from India. Now Minho found out the one missing in the game. He then wondered on why she did not attend the game, when in fact she was happy to accept the invitation. He put back the bottle against his mouth and swallowed the cool and fresh water it brings. Yes, though she did not attend he wanted to win the game as he promised to give it to her.

to be continued...