She Needs Me

Shadow of Love

Mr. Jung came back to Cheonan Girl's High School to complain about physical violence his daughter experienced inside the school. He went straight to the office and talked with the Principal.

"Mam we entrusted our daughter with this school, knowing it has good reputation as one of the prominent. But what happened to my daughter is extremely unexpected.  Krystal was beaten, kicked, punched inside this school. If we didn't return here and checked every corner of this place, my daughter would have been dead now. What happen to your security management?  Is they really doing their job of protecting every student? How these gangsters attacked student inside your territory?" The father was notably upset, expressing his disappointment.

"Sir. First of all, I am so sorry for what happened to your daughter and I deeply apologize to your family on behalf of the entire school management. It's already been reported by one of the staff here and those security guards on duty last night. We will not going to tolerate the physical violence that she experienced here. We have been coordinating with the law enforcer investigating this incident and upon inspection, your daughter is possible third victim of hazing.'

"Hazing? Why are you allowing this kind of madness?"

"From a statement of reliable source, a sorority was formed just last year. It was established by still unknown person and they are recruiting voluntary and non to participate in their group. The victims and some students don't have courage to speak up for it feared their lives. Since the first case, we are already enforcing the anti-sorority and hazing policy. If we'll able to discover their secret society, we must take the disciplinary action. The school will abolish it and will suspend or expel its members particularly those responsible for your daughter. About the security management, I called meeting earlier with the officer and guards and they indeed fail to assess some areas. By checking, the backyard has secret passage that leads to the hill side. With this fault, we need to take the responsibility for what your daughter went through."

"Very well. I'll give you more chances to prove that this school is determined to destroy that society. But if nothing happen, then I'll need to file lawsuit against your school."

"We understand Sir."

Krystal was finally transferred to recovery room where she has to stay for several days. The doctor told them that she is out of danger, but her present condition disheartened them as her beautiful looks vanished. They shaved her hair prior to the surgery and the head size got bigger and covered protecting the injury. Her face and body were swollen and bandaged, and the pale white skin turned to bluish as the bruises can be seen throughout her body. Minho was standing aside, could not able to look straight to her tragic condition.

"My daughter..." Mr. Jung was holding his sobbing wife seeing her daughter for the first time after the hazing. Mrs. Lee embraced Jessica who then shedding tears too. The outcome was indeed depressing and more painful for the family to watch, whereas Krystal unconsciously lying there, unaware of anguish ahead.

Eight hours later, a movement from her hand was noticed.

"Krystal!" Her mother called her name, and they all went up to her.

"She's moving. Call the doctor Mrs. Lee." Then the nanny ran towards the nursing station.

"Krystal can you hear me? It's Mommy." Krystal was unable to open her eyes fully, but she can see her mother through the blurred vision. She wanted to speak to her but something made her difficult to say it. She moved her watery eyes around them, hardened by the heaviness inside her head.

"O-p-pa..." She finally uttered a word, seeing Minho at the farthest corner of her bed.

"Minho" Mrs. Jung called him to sit besides Krystal.

Minho came to Krystal and held her hand softly "Here I am". He could not clearly hear her stuttering speech but he knows how to respond "Don't worry oppa will stay." The first word that came out from Krystal's mouth was the last word she said before she fell on the ground. She instantly became happy to see him around her as she stressed some smile on her face.

Momentarily, the doctor came in and checked her.

"Medications and anesthesia are controlling the post-surgical pain. Her weak body limits her ability to see, speak, move. Let's not force her to do it. On the other hand, it is  a good sign from her."

"Okay Doc." The father answered.

"And I have to advice that please don't remind her of what had happened. The patient has to adapt first to the brain injury as it heals. It's common for psychological problems to arise afterwards like temporary amnesia. These signs can give effort for you on how to deal with it, so whatever might lessen the stress is much better."

Mr. Jung understood what the doctor had said. When Krystal was resting again, he sat beside Minho.

"Sir?" Minho asked him as he was curious on what he will say.

"Don't call me Sir, uncle will be fine. Same as my wife, you can call her auntie if you want."

"Okay."

"I would have to admit my mistake on bringing up Krystal. I was too busy thinking of our livelihood that I always forget to give her proper caring that she needed. I failed to take my responsibility being a father and this circumstance made me realize how shameful it is."

Minho just put his head down while listening to him.

"I have so much pride that I thought I won't be able to ask anybody's help. I'm swallowing it now. I appreciate all you've done for us especially to Krystal and yet I have another favor to ask?"

"What is it?" He asked the father.

"The moment Krystal opened her eyes and how she said your name, despite the difficulty she bears, expresses how she likes you. I feel you will be a great help for her fast recovery."

"How?"

"Stay with her. If you want I will pay you just to be with her." Mrs. Jung offered him.

"I don't need payment Uncle..."

Mr. Jung was determined to pay Minho for him to take care of Krystal like a sister, but Minho refused to accept the price."Krystal's affection is enough for me. Whenever she smiles, it satisfies me."

Those words touched Mr. Jung, it is genuine and pure. He was guilty of being irresponsible father and somehow wanting to give Krystal the happiness she deserves. He then asked the young man to help his daughter in regaining her health but his answer was beyond his expectation.

Sica offered a bread to Minho.

"Eat?"

"Thanks." He received the bread and bite some.

"You have practice tomorrow?."

"Yeah. But I will visit again after the practice."

"Seems like my father is asking you for something."

"Yes. He wants me to help your sister."

"Right. My sister will feel happy with you. "

"You used to take care of me when I was small. I feel like doing the same thing with Krystal." Minho confessed to her.

"Yes. You're such sensitive back then, everytime you hear bad things against you, you will feel upset." She told him, remembering those times.

Minho laughed on his childishness.

"You grown so much refined now Minho and you help my sister through her troubles. I feel blessed to have you with us." She complimented him.

"You're already like a family to me." He smiled to her.

Minho spent the whole day in the hospital, he just went home past 11 p.m. Mrs. Choi was still awake waiting for him and as he came, he again looks tired and sleepy that she did not bother him. Even so, she started to get bored on how his son often away from home. The following morning, Minho attended the practice and was given a task to complete a 100 consecutive shots. While shooting, one of his teammate heard a gossip about Minho and made fun of it.

"Minho, is she your other girl?"

'What?" Minho paused and raised an eyebrow.

"I mean the one you rescued the other night?"

"Shut up! It's not funny." To his anger, he threw the ball to his teammate instead.

"Ouch! Relax!." The guy's joke was ridiculous and so was hit through his stomach.

"Hey, if that happened to your friend, won't you help her?" Sanchu defend Minho.

"Sorry Captain. Minho is just being so serious lately. " He apologized quickly.

"Eunseo came yesterday, She thought you will attend the practice. Gonna visit her? Sanghu informed Minho.

Minho then gave Eunseo a message while taking a break.

Lovely i'm so sorry. I'm too occupied these days, hope you understand.

Euseo replied:

Hello. I miss you? How's Krystal? I already reported her case in the head office and they promised to give an action immediately. Would you like to take lunch with me so we can talk about it?"

Minho replied:

I'm sorry. I'm so busy completing my drills. I promise will make up on Sunday. Always Take Care.

Sunday is Choi's family day and since they got back together, Eunseo became part of the gathering. She did not like on how Minho was losing time for her and so she had to wait again for the Sunday to be with him.

Minho went back to the hospital carrying a basket of fresh fruits for Krystal to eat. She was awake lying with her head slightly bent up. He greeted her happily "Hello. I bring a present for you" Krystal lips curved to answer him back despite of her difficulties. She could not speak, but her gesture cheered him up despite her terrible condition.

"Krystal is waiting for you since morning." Sica told him.

"I have practice earlier." Minho explained to Krystal and she understood.

"Okay oppa is already here, you need to eat this mashed potato Krystal." Mrs. Jung had to feed her daughter before intaking some medicines.

Krystal did not like it. She looked like a baby snubbing the food.

"Please Krystal, cooperate with Mommy." Krystal did not eat for two days with only glucose as her supplement. She needed to eat to fill her stomach and takes her antibiotics afterwards.

"Please... Okay Minho will leave if you'll not going to eat this. Bye Minho." Sica had to sister for her to obey.

Krystal got scared so she obeyed her mother's request. She ate only three tablespoon of mashed potato then later pointed at the orange juice and slowly drank it.

"Sica can you give me the medicine please?" Sica reached to her mother the tablets.

Krystal hates taking medicine and as her mother bringing the tablet on , she shook her head saying no.

"If you want, you can chew, this Kystal, please." The mother begged her.

Krystal tried to chew but threw it up later.

"Krystal how will you get better if you're throwing this medicine?" Mrs. Jung scolded her daughter as she got irritated while forcing her.

Krystal did not like the taste nor could gulp the tablet. Her mother surrendered as her daughter was not cooperating. Without a word, Minho helped Mrs. Jung. He moved to support Krystal's head and slightly tilt it up to insert the tablet in . With the glass of juice on her lips held by his right hand, Krystal swallowed the tablet so easily. For a moment, Mrs. Jung and Jessica were fascinated by the lovely scene depicting it. Minho could be a caring father someday and the way Krystal obeyed him is just like a wife complying to her husband.

On their second game, Hanyang Team faced the other contender from Kwangwoon University. Their team has a strong offensive club but their defense weapons are among the weakest. As expected, Minho was the marked man since he was  the best player last game. The opponent monitored his playing style and made special plan to block him from shooting. Hanyang Coach Hwang and his team were able to forget on how they won last time so long as they end up winning this game. Both team entered the court with great enthusiasm and as they warming up, fans could not take their eyes off to the players especially Minho. A player who looks like a prince and fights like a warrior, anyone was drooling over him. The contest played to the level of competition when they got off to a fast start. Hanyang finished the first half with whooping 59-49 score and 10 points lead. The ace found difficult to drive inside making him pass the ball to the open men like Sanchu who splashed the nets with his good dunks. Hanyang fans celebrated the lead throughout the three quarters until Kwangwoon opened the final frame with 8-0 run. Credit to some stellar defense, the Hanyang able to prevent the rally trailed by Kwangwoon as they doubled their 6 foot 7 shooting center. Minho was intentionally fouled on a layup he made during final two minutes. He hit the two ensuing free throws that made them ahead of 66-61. Kwangwoon again struggled to score as they managed only eight points in the entire final quarter. The game finished at 70-61, a result of impressive team defense applied. Sanchu was the best player of the game with 19 points and 11 rebounds, followed by point guard Sangin with 15 points and 7 assists, and Minho who had 14 points and 7 assists

Eunseo watched the game and went outside to meet Minho. She sat on one of the bench while waiting for him. After an hour, he showed up rushing towards his car. He was so fast that he did not hear her call. In her dismay, she searched for Sanchu to ask him where Minho will be going and he answered to Dankook Hospital where Krystal was staying in. Eunseo started to feel envious on Krystal and decided to go to meet his mother instead.

As promised, Minho went back to hospital after the basketball game. He knocked the door but no one is opening. He entered the room and saw Krystal alone crying desperately. He ran to her "Krystal, why are you crying? What do you feel?"

Krystal could not answer him as the pain was excruciating. She was bawling hard and Minho could not do anything so he rushed to station to call for a nurse.
 
"Nurse, please check out my dongsaeng."

"Okay." A male nurse followed him inside and checked her. The nurse observed that Krystal was agonizing from pain.

"What's happening to her?" Minho curiously asked him.

"The post-surgical pain is taking effect. I need to infuse analgesic. Wait I'll be back."

"Shhhh." Minho Krystal's face to soothe her.

The nurse came back carrying the pain treatment. After he injected the IV on the arm, Krystal vomited on the floor, her hospital gown was filled with puke.

"Can I request for another hospital gown?" Minho asked the nurse.

The nurse got one from the nursing station. He had to change Krystal's clothes but Minho volunteered himself to do it. Minho was again fired up by possessiveness when he did not allowed the guy to change Krystal's gown.

When the nurse left, Minho assisted her. He was about to pull off her gown when he realized of what he is doing. She is a girl and undressing her would be like invading her property as he noted. On the other hand, Krystal was too weak to realize it, she had calmed then knowing her oppa is around. Minho just removed the dirt on her using a face towel and waited for Mrs. Lee to do the task for her. He switched the TV and turned to ESPN where they watched a soccer match-up between Fulham and Arsenal. Afterwards, Mrs. Lee came in.

"Ohh Minho you are already here."

"Yes. Where did you go Mrs. Lee?"

"I bought some painkiller ointment for her. Hard for me to find this medicine because some drugstore were run out of stock."

"I see. Nanny we need to change Krystal's gown. She puked on it." Minho informed her.

"Okay. But she has infusion. Wait, I'll call the nurse."

"I think we can do it ourselves." He told her.

Minho held the dextrose above Krystal's arm while Mrs. Lee slide the sleeve up over the container to remove the used gown. As the nanny undressing Krystal, Minho looked away from her not to see anything. However Mrs. Lee found trouble slipping the dirty gown to her body over the tubing connected to her right arm.

"Minho please help me." The Nanny asked him.

Minho did not have an option. As they carefully removing Krystal's gown, he controlled himself seeing her bare skin. The girl was already sleeping then.

"Wait I'll get face towel." Mrs. Lee told him.

While Mrs. Lee was getting the basin and hot water, Minho managed himself to look away from Krystal. Actually it was not his first time to see a girl, but the environment was completely different for him to feel the normal urge. Mrs. Lee cleansed Krystal's body using a face towel while she was in lying position. She removed the dirt and perspiration from it. She carefully washed and dried all over Krystal's part even the most sensitive one. Mrs. Lee was busy doing her job until she noticed Minho besides her, looking awkward with his eyes fixed on the TV.

"Hehe Someday you'll do the same thing to your wife." She told him.

Minho smiled. Mrs. Lee was fully aware of the man's presence while she is bathing Krystal on bed. She knew that he is gentleman enough to take this scene. When she was done bathing the girl, they slide the clean gown to her then resumed watching the game. After of couple of minutes, the rest of family arrived bringing some meals.

Mrs. Choi Jiwoo was preparing the dining table when she saw Eunseo, through the glass window coming in. She opened the door and warmly embraced her.

"Good Evening Ma." Eunseo called the same way as Minho did, for she already treated her like her mother.

"Good Evening too, where's Minho?" The mother happily greeted her while they sat on the couch.

"He goes to Cheonan visiting Krystal." Eunseo answered.

"Krystal again? Then why he didn't bring you?"

"I went to their practice but he didn't notice me. He was so fast."

"I see."

"Ma I really hate to say this, but I think I have good reasons to be jealous with Krystal. Since Minho rescued her it seems like he is forgetting me." She confided.

"I know, me too. Ever since he undergo basketball training, he's always away. It even gets worse after the girl's incident, I feel like he's being too far from us."

"Ma what will I do? I sense something strange. He's always seeing the girl as if they were already in a relationship before." Eunseo was bothered by Minho's changes lately.

"Don't say that. I met the girl once and I heard some bad things about her. Minho won't fall for her. I will talk to my son about this. The fact that he rescued Krystal is already enough, it's not his responsibility to take care of her."

"Yes Ma, advice him please. I'm also worried about his health. He's always tired of practice and game, yet he's still have time to visit her."

"Minho is helpful just like his father. So don't be bother much, okay?" The mother assured her.

"Okay." Eunseo felt calm as long as she heard those words.

to be continued...