My Birthday Gift

Shadow of Love

Team C and F match up turned after the first game and it all started by tossing coin. Team F, Krystal's team won the first ball possession. She was in the position 1 and the one who will first to serve the ball. Nervous came to her as all eyes focused on her, but was relieved the moment she released it. Because of her injury, she just used the underhand serve to strike the ball. The ball successfully passed over the net and bumped to the hands of the opposing player. Using a combination of three contacts, the setter pushed fingertips at the ball and overhand passed to their main hitter, Hyorin who quickly gave an attack. Sulli attempted to block it but it landed outside. Under the new scoring system, they used the rally scoring where a point is given after each successful play.

'Yeheyyyyy" Hyorin Team's gathered around, celebrating their first score. On the other side, Onew as the captain of Team F cheered up his teammate.

Team C's turned to serve. Their right side hitter used topspin in serving. She tossed the ball high and it landed straightly to the hands of the counter's setter who digged up the ball. The set up play put the ball in the air, giving opportunity to Onew to hit the ball. He used the dip attack instead that touched the ball and landed on uncovered area.

"Team F score." Coach Kim who acted as referee, whistled and beckoned the winning team. Onew and his teammates embraced each other as they got their first point. The player next to Krystal strike the ball using sky ball serve. It was an easy received for Hyorin's team. They did a variation of quick hit where the two hitters are both in front of setter and both jumped to deceive Sulli's block. The fourth hitter came from behind and spiked the ball. They rejoiced again for their second score.

The game continued rallying back and forth until it touched the floor. Some errors like, exceeding contacts, short serves, and touching the net were committed by both teams. Meantime, Krystal's injury prohibited her to do her role as an outside hitter. It was given to Onew who handled most of the attacks with the support of back hitter player. She was just expected to help Sulli in blocking and do some digging throughout the first and second set. But some hits were so hard that she needed to dive in for the ball. Dropping her body on the floor made her back aching more. Unfortunately, there was no substitution for her so Onew advised her to just help the setter in setup plays. Their setter is good enough that she did not need much help from Krystal.

Team C took the set 1 when they got the first 25 points. They changed court in set 2. From their plan, Onew and the back hitter helped Sulli on the defensive overload in front row. Still, Onew controlled the attack with the help of back hitter. Krystal felt useless on how she could not perform well. There are times when she was just caught standing at her position and watching her teammates doing their work. She looked at the scoring board and promised to give her best at the remaining set. Nevertheless, their team won the set 2 as the result of their team's hardwork.

At set 3, Onew used the 5-1 formation that means all five players act as hitters at one time or another, while one can act as setters. It was designed to involve Krystal in the final set. They just needed 15 points to win the game, though it was not easy. Hyorin's team is balanced with Hyorin as the left side hitter, their guy right side hitter, and libero who were doing great in defense strategies. This time, Onew asked Krystal to stay alert and do her part in case there are chances. He anticipated that Team C's main target was Krystal's area since it is weak. As expected, Hyorin attacked the ball in Krystal's spot. Three consecutive points were made towards there and it broke her. She could see some fingers pointing at her, blaming her. The other team figured out the way to outscore them so they took advantage of her frailty.

Meanwhile, Minho finished his work and went down to meet Krystal. He saw some of his boys there plucked inside volleyball gym, watching a game with Krystal in the court. "Coach!" They saw their coach behind them. Minho was then pleasant surprised to see her playing even in pain. He sat beside his trainees with other observers in the venue. After the time-out, Team F and C went back to their formation. Minho's eyes focused on her, he wanted to support her in her fight. He would careless on how she will perform as long as she is not forcing herself. While watching, bystanders cheered for their favorite bet. Krystal scanned over the cheerers and saw her oppa among them, it made her glad to see him around. She smiled at him while he was screaming "Fighting!" to support her. She could hear him out of all the noises inside gym and it boost her confidence. She then forgot her pain when she saw him.
 
The referee whistled signaling Team C to serve. The server hit the ball well enough to reach the other side, it was received by opposing libero. It bumped onto setter's hand, setting the ball for Onew. His attacked hit the blockers of Team C and it bounced back to them. Krystal with her quick response dived for the ball, keeping it alive. The setter gave another set for Onew and he tried again. Team C prepared for a defense and made two contacts before Hyorin slide the ball. The back hitter of Team F digged, passing the ball for a nice set-up. Krystal was in the right position, took three steps before hitting it. She jumped herself higher over the net finishing the rally with a sharp spike! The fierce shot coming from a quiet and reserved player was unexpected. Her attacked gave spark to her team and throughout the gym. Minho was impressed by her move.  
 
It was Team F turn to serve again. Hyorin's team responded and sent some easy shot. The setter designed another play for the hot handed Krystal and she did not frustrate her.  With the right timing, she arched her back on the air and released another powerful hit crushing the defense of Team C.  
 
"Wow! She's a killer!" Said one of the watcher.  
 
"Seems like she's a pro." Said by another.  
 
Never in Minho's wild dream that he will appreciate volleyball like this. He was fascinated by the fact that Krystal is a girl that can hit strong as man's, adding her beauty shining out. He could see the bright future of her in volleyball.  
 
After her attack, Krystal was unstoppable since then. Only one point to win for Team F, their setter served the ball. It almost hit the floor, but Hyorin was able to save it back. Onew passed the ball to the setter. Noise was heard through out the gym again as the setter designed another play for Krystal. The opposing team was ready to receive it, but her spike was so strong, putting an exclamation shot! Team F celebrated their win.  
 
Krystal ran to Minho. She wanted to hug him in celebration but aware of other people.
 
"How does it feel?" He asked her cheerfully.
 
"Feels good. I hate myself at the beginning. But I was able to showed up at the final set."
 
'Yes. You did incredible!" He said to her while tapping her head.
 
"At first, I could not move much 'cause of my back. It felt like I'm carrying a heavy backpack. Then Captain Onew told me to be alert since they were planning to target me." The two walked to the car while talking about the game.
 
"Ahh." He was listening to her when he noticed her sweaty T-shirt.  
 
"You have an extra tee?" He asked her.
 
"No. I forgot."
 
"Next time, bring some. You look like a wet chick."
 
Luckily, Minho had reserve T-shirt in his car and gave it to her.  
 
"Thanks." She told him.
 
"Go inside, change your clothes." After Krystal changed, Minho went in.
 
"Oppa. It's too big."
 
"At least it covers you."
 
"Yeah." She folded the used T-shirt.
 
"October 24." He said to her.
 
It reminded Krystal's birthday. "What about that?"
 
"How many days until your birthday?"
 
"Hehe how did you know? I never told you." She wondered on how he found out.
 
"I have a source."
 
"Hmm only one week from now."
 
"Good."
 
"Why? What will you give to me?" She leaned forward while asking him sweetly.
 
"Nothing. I'm just expecting you to treat me." He and they laughed.

October 24, It was Krystal's 17th birthday (Korean age). Her mother woke her up to greet her.
 
"Baby, Happy Birthday!" The sound of her mother's voice echoed inside her blank dream. She woke up cheerfully and embraced her.  
 
"Thanks Mommy."
 
"Your Daddy and I planned to celebrate your birthday outside."  She talked while running her fingers through her daughter's black silky hair.
 
"Shall we do it on the evening instead? I'll stay out with my friend."  
 
"Who? Luna?"
 
"Huh? Yes." Slightly confused of her answer.
 
"Okay. By the way, here is your allowance in case." Mrs. Jung handed the Ang Pow (Feng Shui Red Envelope, used for Chinese New Year and even birthday which gives blessings and good wishes) to her, "Your Unnie want to give this to you as their gift." She opened the envelope and found 55K Won (or 50 Dollar), an equivalent to her weekly allowance.
 
"Wow! Thanks Unnie!" She joyfully received the gift. She embraced her mother again while smiling happily. She stepped off her bed and pulled up her robe.
 
"Ohh where are you going?"
 
"I'm going to take shower now."
 
"It's only 7 a.m." Her mother told her.
 
Krystal just grinned at her and turned away towards the bathroom. After she took bath, she sent message to Minho excitedly.  
 
Oppa let's meet at 8 a.m. I'm going to treat you today.
 
It was Sunday and weekly reunion for Choi's Family. However, Minho already planned to spend the day with Krystal. Since Eunseo still could not visit, he already asked permission to his mother that he will be hanging out with his friend. Minseok also had some commitments that day so his parents chose to stay in home while observing the Sabbath. He replied immediately after he received the message.
 
Happy Birthday Ms. Jung Soojung! I'll be there. Wait for me.

The first time he called her in Korean name, Minho could not pick her from her home so he secretly told her to meet him at the crossing where they always got to separate from training. He wore plain steel gray shirt, funky jeans, and red sneakers for that day. He was leaving when his mother called him.
 
"Son, I found Eunseo's T-shirt inside the car." It surprised him to see Krystal's clothes in his mother's hand. He thought telling the truth this time will not do any good.  
 
" Ah yes. I will give it to her." Then he took it from her mother.
 
"You will going to see her today?" She asked him.
 
"Yes, later. I'm going now Ma." He bent down to kiss his mother. It felt like a betrayal when he lied to her. Surely she will not approve the idea of him going out with the young Jung.  
 
"Be safe." Mrs. Choi told him.
 
Krystal chose her white sleeveless turtleneck, fitted yellow short pants, and pink heels. She put a cute ribbon on her hair and applied some light make up. She asked her nanny if her look was good and she liked it. She brought a hand carry bag where she puts her extra clothes and some snacks and left the house at the exact time. Just as she saw his car parking near pedestrian lane, she crossed the road looking demurely with her simple yet stylish clothes. MInho's eyes got hooked and steadily fixed on her. The way she walked made him feel uncomfortable. Her body curves were outlined by her clothes, illegal to look upon yet attracting his guilty attention. He unlocked the car door and wanted to preach her about it.  
 
"Oppa. Unnie gave me money." But her sweet smile washed away her own sin.  
 
"Really?" Eitherway, this girl can pull a cute image out of her outfit, he thought.
 
"Yeah. As promised, I'm going to treat you. Where do you want to eat?" She asked him, naive of what he thinking.
 
"Hmm It should be yours to answer." Her reversed the question.
 
"I don't have an idea." She answered.
 
"Let's see." They went to visit church first before going anywhere. Then he drove the car around Seoul to search for some interesting place. It was like a date for them as he wanted to make it more memorable for her. As he was seeking, he saw Seoul Grand Park.
 
"Have you ever been in that place?" He asked her, referring to Seoul Grand Park.
 
"No. Not yet. How about you?"
 
"I'd been there once."
 
"When?"
 
"Two years ago, for some recreational activity. I think you will love it."
 
"Whatever you want." She let him decide where to go.
 
When paying parking fees, she brought her money up, but he refused to take it.  
 
"Why?"
 
"Just keep that."
 
"I'm supposed to pay for it." She told him.

He did not answer her. They got off the car and went towards admission boot to pay the entrance fees. He asked the cashier about the prices.  
 
"How much for a Teenager and Adult?"
 
"Sir 5,000 Won for both of you." He gave the payment coming from his wallet and they entered. They picked up some brochure and maps for some guidance.
 
"Oppa why are you not using my money?"
 
"Don't' let me down Krystal. It's my birthday gift for you." She was touched by his words. He was then joking when he asked her for a treatment.
 
Seoul Grand Park is a huge combination of a zoo and botanical garden. It has 360 kinds of animals and 1,300 kinds of plants found at the foot of Mt. Cheonggyesan where people can have mini hike. It was weekend hence the place was bit crowded with visitors and foreigners. Minho and Krystal could see the beautiful of autumn season as the falling leaves give color to the mountain. They walked hand in hands entering the garden whiles exploring different plants and dwarf trees, as well as insects along the way. He brought digital camera, taking selcas of them with amazing natural background. They also went through the colorful rose garden where Krystal enjoyed picking some falling flowers and put one on her ear. Minho took a snapshot of her lovely look without her consent and he showed it to her afterwards. The forest bathing area relaxed the two as they breathed fresh scents from heavily-wooded spot. They got to see pheasants, owls, and woodpeckers living in a mini natural forest. There was one moment when she almost slipped and fell off the small bridge at the middle of the area, but he was attentive enough to support her. They sat down at one of the bench in camp site near valley for some snacks. He shared some stories about the picnic he experienced in the same location few years ago. The view from valley enhanced more the romance between the two as they snuggle sweetly to each other. People may think they are lovebirds living in their own world, talking and teasing non-stop. They continued hiking and riding cable car to the zoo where they found some famous animals like gorilla, seal, and python and even got a chance to feed some of them. At the end of adventure, they watched flamingo marching up and both were amused by the show. Happiness had been seen through their faces for they enjoyed every second of being together, indeed a remarkable period of time for the two. When they were hungry, they went to steamboat nearby. An eat all you can buffet resto alongside street. Minho and Krystal picked their ingredients out of raw meats, vegetables, eggs, dumplings, and seafood and cooked them at their own table where a simmering hot pot of stock at center. They also ordered some grill chicken in addition to their meals and drinks. Though it's cheaper than other restaurant, the foods were fantastically delicious.  
 
Meantime, Mrs. Choi called Eunseo.
 
"Hello Eunseo."
 
"Hello Ma, how are you?"
 
"I'm good. You're still busy?"
 
"Not much now. I'm just resting. But still could not be able to go there, maybe next week."
 
"Oh no don't worry. Ahm did my son had returned your T-shirt?"
 
"T-shirt?"
 
"Yeah the red T-shirt you forgot inside the car."
 
"No. I don't use T-shirt, only with some occasions."
 
"Maybe you forgot the other time."
 
"No. I don't remember changing my clothes inside car."
 
Then whose T-shirt is that, Mrs. Choi asked herself. She became suspicious of the owner. Eunseo was bothered as well, but the mother cleverly made an a quick explanation for her not to worry. "Ahh. Maybe my servant, while cleansing left it there."
 
"Ahh I see."
 
"I will call you next time Eunseo. Sorry to disturb you."  
 
"Fine with me. See you next week Ma."
 
"See you. Bye."
 
"Bye."
 
Clearly her son lied to him when he responded it's Eunseo's. She looked at the T shirt again and indeed, not belong to her. The size is smaller than she and the design looks belong to a teenager. Mrs. Choi could not think of any girl younger than Eunseo, but only one name popped into her mind - Krystal! She got enraged at the mere thought they are still together. Having her shirt inside his car made her think of anything worst than she is scared of. She rebuked her thinking of them having an affair again. But if it is real, then she is planning to break them!
 
to be continued...