We Became Friends

Shadow of Love

“Class, let’s move on to our next subject, History. So we’re going to discuss about the Korean peninsula and the issues related on it. According to wikipedia site:

The Korean Peninsula is a peninsula in East Asia. It extends southwards for about 684 miles (1,100 km) from continental Asia into the Pacific Ocean and is surrounded by the Sea of Japan (East Sea) to the south, and the Yellow Sea to the west, the Korea Strait connecting the first two bodies of water...”

While discussing, the teacher caught Krystal with her head down, has doing some thing at the back. She was bored and feeling uninterested about the topic so she got her notebook and draw on the last page. She was fully occupied by what she is doing and failed to notice her teacher coming towards her.

“What are you doing?”

Krystal was jolted up by the voice of her teacher. She quickly hide her notebook at her back.

“Give me that!” The teacher directed her as she trying to steal the notebook from her.

“No man please.” Krystal begged her.

“I said give me that!” Ms. Kim snatched the notebook and scanned at the pages. She then found a caricature drawing of a boy with Minho’s name in it.

“So this is the guy who made you so busy that’s why you’re not attentive?!” She asked her sharply.

Krystal could not speak as she was trembling in fear and humilation at the same time. Tears began falling from her face, seeing all the attentions on her.

Out of Ms. Kim’s anger, she tore the drawing and crumpled it. “Open your mouth!” Her teacher commanded her.

“No. Mam please...” She refused to obey, turning her head sideway.

The teacher forcefully put the crushed paper in Krystal’s mouth as a punishment for her. “This is not an Art subject! If you don’t want to listen to me then go back to States or ask your boyfriend to teach you!" She told her, enraged by her student's inattentiveness.

Krystal could not defend herself, admitting her fault. In the States, they were less restricted to do what they want for they have their own rights. But here is different. She swallowed her pride and bowed to her teacher not to do it again.

After the class, Krystal was passing through the hallway when a bunch of  classmates blocked her.

“If I were her, I would pack my things and go back to States.” One of the girl made an insinuating remark against her.

 

Krystal heard of it but acted unaffected.

“Hey if you don't like this school, you should kick yourself out.” Another bully insulted her.

“Am I asking for your stupid advice?” Krystal rebuffed.

“What a birdbrain girl." The third girl came to her and hit her shoulder with her hand.

Krystal felt the pang on it but just brushed it away. “I’m not scared of you.” She told boldly that surprised them. It was their first time to encounter a gutsy transferee who dared to say that.

Krystal cut off the blockway when their leader followed up saying. “I’ll give you an option brave girl. Be a part of our group and you will be safe. Reject it then trouble will rock hell out of you.”

Krystal just smirked at them “Then go on.”

“As you wish.” The leader of the group could not believe how the awkward Krystal could be as tough as that. Nevertheless, she is willing to push trough some plot for her.

On her way back to the train station, Krystal saw a familiar woman far ahead. She knew her for she was the one whom Minho kissed at the post-Valentines Day, it is his girlfriend. She wondered on what the woman was doing in Cheonan so she sat besides her in the train. Krystal casted an eye on her. “Oppa has high standard.” She assessed Eunseo as tall, pretty, and modest.
When the train arrived at their destined place, Krystal sneaked and followed Eunseo on her way to gym where Minho was practicing. Krystal could not enter to the gym so she peeked from a window. She then saw Minho kissed her again while puting his arm around her back. Envy hunted her. She could not bear the scene anymore so she left the venue gloomily.

Minho treated his girlfriend in one of his favorite snack house.

“How’s your work?”

“Fine. We had urgent meeting earlier.” Eunseo answered.

“What about that?” He asked her.

“There’s a problem concerning some high school students being force to join sorority, a secret group founded by a former mafia who happend to be an alumnus. “

“Really? Classes are just being started.”

“Yes the secret organization was said to be operating since last year and they are recruiting number of students, willing and unwilling. Everything was under control until two cases of hazing being reported by the parents of the victims.” Eunseo is a Math high school teacher in the said school. “There are some members who are recruiting and scaring new students and transferees to join their secret society." She continued.

“Wow even a prestige school like Cheonan could not escape from these crazyness. So what's their purpose?”

"Sisterhood? I don't know."

“You have to be careful then.” He advised her.

“Yes. Don’t worry the school officials are working now for the safety of both staffs and students. Anyway, how was your practice?”

“So far, so good. Hope you will come to see our first game.”

“When is that?

“Next Monday.”

“I see. I better to finish all my works now so I can watch it on Monday.” She told him. The two stayed inside the shelter until they finished their snacks.

Krystal was in her bedroom doing her assignments when Jessica came in.

“What do you need?” She asked her older sister.

“You.” Then Sica looked at Krystal’s stuff. "What are you doing?”

“My assignment.” She answered with her eyes stuck on her workbook.

“I want to say something.”

“Say it now, you’re already disturbing.”

“Okay. My boyfriend wants me to pursue Masters in States. He will sponsor my education, at the same time, we will put a small business along Manhattan. For sure, I will stay there for a long time.”

“Then...” Krystal sounded listless.

“Yeah I hope if I'm already there, you will take care of our parents.”

Krystal laughed "Come on Sica, they can take care of themselves.” The fact that her parents spend more time outside home is her reason not to mind about it.

“I wish to see you having a boyfriend too when I came back.” What triggered Sica to say that is she wanted Krystal to take her responsibility as a daughter and to be more concern and thoughtful for her future.

“Hahaha you’re so funny.” Krystal burst out laughing at her sister’s words. Krystal longed enough for someone that will take care of her but deep inside, she feels hopeless. She already found that person yet he is belong to someone.

Minho was exhausted of day long practice. His body wanted to rest, but his eyes could not. He switched on the TV and found uninteresting shows so he turned it off again. He got his mobile and tried to search contacts, the first that showed up was Krystal’s number. He texted her right away:

Hello dongsaeng. Hope you’re doing fine. I want to invite you to watch our first game on Monday at 5:00 p.m. in Yeouido Gym. We will up against Yonsei University. (rival of Hanyang University where Minho was scholar in College of Physical Education) I believe you will like it so I reserve a ticket for you. Hope you will come!  

Krystal heard the message tone from her cp. “It’s Oppa!” She read the message and made her grinning all through out. She replied:  

Oppa I’m doing fine. You'll going to win that I guarantee since I'll be cheering you up."

Her witty text made Minho smile and her replied:  

Okay I will do my best for you.

Krystal's day was almost totally disaster until oppa texted her. The person she used to ignore ten years ago is the same person she always think of these passed months. “Why?” She asked herself. Krystal never felt yearning for someone such as this, never a message could made her dark day turned bright like this. Before, she was happy being alone, but when Minho came her outlook in life changes. “If only Minho oppa doesn’t have girlfriend.” She sighed at her poor situation.

Sica who was passing at Krystal’s wide-opened door, noticed her sister’s strange behavior. She was leaning on a chair with a cellphone on her chest. It made Sica wonder how moody Krystal is “Is she sick?”. She went down to see their nanny cleaning the kitchen.   

“Mrs. Lee you have to take rest now.” Sica advised her.

“No. I have to finish this, can’t rest without seeing it done.” The nanny smiled at her.

“Okay. I would like to ask some questions without disturbing you?”

“Go ahead.”

“What’s happening with Krystal? I mean she went home with a gloomy face then, but when I passed by at her room, I caught her cheerfully embracing her cp. Can you tell me what’s going on with her? She’s not in her usual self.”

Mrs. Lee laughed “Haha you’re sister is just growing up.”

“How come?”

“I think it’s something to do with someone.”

“Someone? You mean boyfriend?” Sica guessed.

Mrs. Lee signed Sica to tilt her head close to . “Don’t tell to anyone, most especially to Krystal what I’m going to say to you." She asked her.

“Of course. What is it?”

“Krystal is in love.”

“Really?! To whom?” Jessica was bit shocked about it.

“Someone with initial of C.M.” She whispered to her.

Jessica could not think of any man with initial of C.M. rather than Minho.  

“Choi Minho?!”

“Shhh”

“But he has girlfriend already. Besides I don’t think Minho will like her other than dongsaeng.”

“I started to notice it even before her first date with him. I think she developed a feeling since then. She actually told me this secret the other day. She is having a crush on him.”

“Well It’s good cause she’s starting to show interest with her opposite. But I doubt it. She will only get hurt knowing he’s in relationship. It won’t help her.”

“I don’t think so. I believe Minho likes her too, just like the way he treats her. The Krystal I witnessed for so many years was laid back, yet she manages to smile each time whenever the boy is around."

“You have a point. But what can we do about it? Minho is committed as he told me. Of course, I want to see Krystal to be happy with someone she loves especially if the guy is him. But he’s just treating her like a little sister, I’m afraid it will hurt her more.”  

“Do you believe in fate?” Mrs. Lee asked Sica.

“Hmm not really. I think anyone can influence their future.” She told her.

“Yes you are right. But whenever Krystal needs help, Minho is always there to support her.”

“Minho is naturally helpful."

“No. He is destined for her. It's like, Minho unawarely follows Krystal like a shadow, her refuge from danger and hardship."

Sica smiled at her, the woman grows more imaginative as she gets older. “Nanny let’s just hope for their happiness. I guess Krystal needs our support now, she’s dealing with this kind of infatuation and I don’t want her to suffer from it.”

Krystal was on her way to the train station when Sica saw her walking through. She stopped the car besides her. “Krystal come in I will drive you to school.”

Krystal hates to be with her sister as usual so she reasoned out “No. I’m late now, my teacher will get mad again.”

“Mad again?” Sica was clueless on what happened to Krystal yesterday.

“No. I mean I have to come early and you have some appointment right?’ Krystal quicken her steps trying to avoid her.

“Okay then I will go to Minho's house alone.”

“Oppa?!" Krystal's heart beat faster again on her excitement. Seeing Minho in the morning will make her day.

“He called me last night to personally give me the game tickets for us, but I rather get it from him.” After Mrs. Lee revealed Krystal having crush on Minho, Sica wanted to help her sister in anyway she can. Incidentally, He called her about the ticket afterwards. And as she made a plan, it commend her to do her part. “You want to go with me or what?" Without a second thought, Krystal opened the car back door and went hurriedly inside. This time she did not want to lose to her sister she thought. Sica chuckled at her sister's response.

At the front gate while parking, Jessica saw Minseok, Minho's older brother who was then leaving for work.

"Good Morning Minseok Oppa” Sica greeted him, bowing her head.

“Oh Good Morning too Jessica and who is this... Krystal?” Minseok was surprised to see the Jung sisters who apparently grew more gorgeous now. She recognized the two since Sica was his childhood playmate also. “Long time no see.” He smiled to them.

“Yes she is. It’s been a long time. You will go to work?” Sica asked him.

“Yes. I have some appointment with some talent scouts.” He answered. Minseok is State University manager of soccer club. “I wish I can talk more time with you, but I have to leave now. Don’t worry I will visit your place if I have time.”

“No problem. Nice to meet you again.”  

“Nice to meet you too. See you next time!” He waved his hand and drove his car.

“See you next time!” They told him. Krystal observed Minseok and Minho both have double adam's apple and same height, only the difference are eyes since Minho got rounder.

As they entered the Choi residence, Krystal looked over and noticed it was big and nice. She felt like it was only yesterday when Minho brought her there and cured her, she was not able to picture it then as clearly as now.

Minho glimpsed through the window erstwhile, went down to meet them. “Good Morning Pretties.” He bowed his head while pulling a smile on his face. Krystal blissfully saw his oppa and ran towards him. Her instinct told her to hug him but shook his hand instead. “Oppa Good Morning.” Minho noticed Krystal’s adorable face and was charmed by it. It was his second time to see her in her uniform, and still refreshed by it.

He swayed her hand and interviewed her “How’s your school adjustment?”

Krystal answered “It’s fine.” while smiling at him. She wished to tell him her struggle from school but better not to open it.

“Okay. good.”

By looking at them, Jessica finally admitted that Mrs. Lee is right. She witnessed how her little sister transforms when Minho is around. But what moved her is the look on Minho's eyes when he approached Krystal. Sica realized them the possibility of him to fall with her sister.

“Sica I was supposed to visit your house.” He told her.

“Yeah! Yet we decided to drop by rather, you’ve been so generous most of the time.” Sica complimented.  

“Ha... Thanks.” Minho blushed at her words.

Minho could feel Krystal’s warmness while gripping his hand. He then straightly looked at her eyes and picked three tickets from his pocket and gave to her.

Krystal was grateful to accept it. “Thank You.”  

“Yes. I want to see you there.” He told her.

Jessica giggled at the scene. A sweet yet unexpected view from the two. “Krystal is a sports fan, I always see her watching ball games. I’m sure she won’t miss it." Then Sica interrupted "Minho we have to go now, Krystal might get late. See you on the first game.”

“Yes please.” He plead.

“Okay. Bye and Take Care” Jessica said farewell nabbing Krystal's hand.

“Goodbye oppa. Take care” Krystal released her hand from Minho, she wanted to stay but she have to go to school. While leaving, she kept looking back at him.

“Goodbye and Take Care.” He waved his hand to her.

Minho does not have sister so he wanted to treat Krystal like one, but the way she holds him, he could sense she is yearning for something, a thing he could not define.

to be continued...