My Dreamgirl

Shadow of Love

Choi Minho went inside his car exclaiming "After ten years of waiting!". He started the engine with a huge smile in his face. He could not forget this lovely girl he patiently waits all these years. As he was driving alone, he can clearly remember the moments he and Jessica shared during their childhood years. Playing his favorite sports soccer with her was the most precious one. The way she smiled and took care of him were treasured in his mind. He likes competing with his brother and cousins but only Jessica can complete his day. It was happy moments for both of them until her parents decided to bring her to America.
 
"This is it!" He parked his car outside a white painted two-story modern house of Jung family. He took a deep breath and pressed the doorbell, hoping someone to answer.
  
"Who is it?" A voice from an old woman was heard inside as she was opening the door for him.
  
"Good Morning Mam." As soon as the guy appeared in front of her, the housemaid could not take her eyes off him. Minho's look is an exact definition of handsome. A 5'9 boy with dark complexion and slender body. His eyes are big, his nose is pointed, and his jaws are sharp. His short hair is shiny straight and his hands look fierce with popping veins running through it.  He is such a captivating man that anyone could mistook him as prince or a model the nanny thought.
 
He smiled to her and introduced his self courteously "Hello Mam. I'm Choi Minho, Jessica's childhood friend. I learned that she went back from U.S. last month so I went here to see her again. Isn't she there?" 
  
This boy is not only good-looking but with manners too. "Yes she is here. Please come in." She responded immediately and let him enter.  
  
He smiled to her and stepped in.  
  
"Wait I will go up stair and call her, just sit."  
  
"Thanks Mam."  
  
Minho saw the improvement of Jung's old house, it was greatly renovated as if newly built. The design is heavily influenced by western style with massive furniture and imported appliances. He could only wonder how their family got big time in U.S.. to have such a rich and yet convenient asset now. As his eyes roaming over the living room, he saw an old portrait of Jung's family with Jessica's younger sister, Krystal. She is three years his junior and only six years back then before they left. As far as he remembered, she was very detached girl who rarely talk, far different from her sister. Suddenly, he heard footsteps from the ladder and instinctively stood up to meet her. His eyes sparkled to see a gorgeous young woman dashing with highlighted hair and milky complexion. Jessica is so petite in her mini dress and high heels. 
 
"Hello Minho, I miss you!" Jessica quickly went to him with a bright smile. Minho was speechless on what he saw. He was so glad to met her again moreover, her transformation from a cute girl to a fine young woman is such an overwhelming sight. But then, an unexpected guy showed up just as he wanted to hug her. The strange guy is a three inch taller and has a leaner body than he. His skin is darker and eyes are lot smaller that looks more of Chinese descent.
  
"Hi." The man approached and greet him.
  
Jessica tiptoed and hugged Minho. She said "Why in the world should you grow lot taller than Noona (used for calling older girls) huh? You used to be the froggy-prince I used to embrace when playmates bullied you." Normally, girls are taller than boys during middle schools but Minho's catch up just surprised her.
 
"Sica." Minho hugged him tightly as he was pleased to know the fact that she never forget those moments way back. He never called her Noona even though she is three years older. For him, she is more than a sibling, a special girl!
  
"I miss you too." Minho's gentle response made Jessica melt. She felt sudden guilt on how she lost contact with him since then. Then she released him and get the other man's hand. "Well I would want you to meet, Taecyeon. He is my boyfriend."  
  
Minho's eyes went big as he heard the information that struck him. It was surprisingly anticipated the moment this guy appeared in. The boyfriend offered his hand to him, but he was not ready for it. Taecyeon would not let his self be embarrassed so he took the boy's hand and shook it. MInho was crashed deep inside, all the hopes he puts on is just wasted momentarily. All the enthusiasm he felt turned down thus he wished to go home instead. "Jessica always tell stories about you." Though Taecyeon perceived Minho's frustration (as seen through his face), he knows MInho is only a good little brother to her.
  
Jessica sensed something wrong on Minho so she decided to invite the boys inside the entertainment room to start a friendly chat among them. Minho's urge was to go home as soon as possible but her request made him to stay bit longer. At first, the two guys were awkward with each other and so Sica tried an effort to get them involve and feel comfortable. It was not much hard task on her part since Taecyeon and MInho found out having similarities, both are quiet yet easy-to-be-friend with. The three was in the middle of a calm conversation when a sudden burst of cry was heard.  
  
"Where is she?! Why did she get the snickers without my permission?!" She asked shoutingly.  
 
The angry sound was from Krystal, Sica's younger sister. She is already sixteen years old but does not act her age.  
  
"Jessica has visitors, don't disturb her!" Mrs. Lee Misook, their residence housemaid tried her best to stop the stubborn girl.  
  
"Mommy gave me that! Why does she always get mine?!" Krystal cried out.  
  
"Stop making noise! I will tell this to your mother if you won't stop." The old maid was loosing her patience to the girl. She was like scandalizing the whole village just for the pair of snickers. "Your sister borrowed it through your mother when you were still sleeping." She explained to calm her.  
  
"I don't care! She is selfish! Selfish!" She was on the floor, beating herself until she saw her sister with two men beside her. She knew Taecyeon but not the other one.
  
"Krystal what's your problem?" Her older sister went close to comfort her but as soon as she is near,  Krystal pushed her causing her to land on her back. "Don't touch me!" She spited and ran away. The two guys were too annoyed by her unnecessary behavior.  
  
Taecyeon and Minho rushed helping Sica to stand up. "I'm sorry about my sister." She apologized trying to explain even she is clearly innocent of that. It is  normal for Taecyeon to see Krystal' s frequent tantrum as he witnessed much worst than this incident. He knows Krystal hates her sister and how she is treating her rudely  "Don't feel sorry Sica, we know it wasn't your fault. That girl will never change." Taecyeon told her. 
 
On the other hand, this scene is a major turn-off for MInho. He is also the second child in his family, but he was raised to be polite to his older brother. In his nineteen years, they rarely fight nor quarrel over small things as they were thought to respect and understand each another. The snobby girl he used to know grew much deviant now. Ironically, her rudeness had left more impression to him than the conversation with the couple. Sica asked them to go back inside entertainment room but MInho refused to join again. Her confession and the latter incident ruined his good mood entirely that pushed him to leave the house immediately. 
 
Krystal plunged herself on her bed still crying, she felt humiliated despite it was all intended. Her purpose of doing it was too embarrassed her sister in front of her guests however, it backfired her. She hates her self being unable to control her feelings particularly on Sica, but that is the only way to release the load inside her. "She's their favorite. Taking all the attentions and love from me, nothing is left!" She pitied herself, comparing again her situation to her sister. Meanwhile, MInho went home bitterly disappointed on his failed plan. He thought he could really move on after seeing Sica is already committed. The way she looks at her boyfriend and how they stay strong for eight years made him realize that she is indeed in love, but loosing is very hard for him to accept. Being a competitive person he is such in sports, triggers him to be hopeful no matter what. He might be nice and kind to anyone but is very self-centered when it comes to his desire. SIca is a special person he was longing for. The girl possessed everything he needs: beautiful, smart, and thoughtful and that having her is far greater than winning gold in any tournament.
 
As long as Mrs. Jung Kanghye
, Krystal's mother, came back from work, the nanny immediately told her what had happened in their house earlier. The information made the mother so furious, striding her way to her daughter's bedroom. She wanted to discipline the girl for shamelessly displaying her attitude towards guests. She opened the door carelessly and found her daughter lying on the bed looking lifeless. Her emotion changed abruptly from angry to mercy. She does not want tolerating her daughter's mistake but somehow she understands her. She sat beside her and moved her hand on her daughter's head, caressing her it with her soft hand "If I could only give up my work just for you." She told her in silence. Kanghye is an ambition woman who rather have her career than staying inside home. When she and her husband married, she bowed to resign from work and be a full-time mother. However, staying at home made her desperate every little time and the fact that her husband's salary is not enough for their financial needs, it pushed her to go back working. When Krystal was born, she hired her friend MIsook, who was then a young widow, to take care her second child.
 
Krystal felt the hand of her mother in her dream, she opened her eyes and whispered her name.
 
"Mommy." 
 
"Yes baby." 
 
She rose from the bed. 
 
"Did Ahjumma (used to call for older woman) Misook already told you what happened earlier?" 
 
She replied "Yes". 
 
"Why did you lend my snickers without asking me?" 
 
"You were still sleeping so I didn't disturb you." She answered. 
 
"You had to wake me then!" Krystal slightly raised her voice. 
 
"Shh! It's only pair of snickers. I thought we already discussed sharing your things to your sister."
 
"But she has a plenty of footwear already." 
 
"Those are not fitted in beach. You sister only borrowed it since her boyfriend asked her for a walk. Don't worry, I'll ask her to buy one next time. " The pink Nike snickers is worth $99 her mother purchased through online shopping. Actually, Krystal does not care at all, all she wanted is to prove her mother's love for her.  
 
Minho was resting when suddenly his cell phone rang beside him. The ring tone was so loud, wrecking his mood again. "Hello?" 
 
"Hey Minho. What's up? It's your lovely Jonghyun" The man is the twenty years old KIm Jonghyun, his best friend.
 
"Hey man. Thank you for disturbing my rest." He told him sarcastically.
 
"Oh come on. I thought the ace doesn't do siesta."  He told MInho, reminding him that it was not his habit to take nap during afternoon. Well it was Minho's fault, putting the blame to the early scene.
 
"Why did you call?" He asked him while scratching his eyes.
 
"I got two invitation letters from the village organizer. They are inviting us to participate in a game show that will be before valentines next month. Do you want to join?" 
 
A game show! MInho is always fired up when it comes to sports or games. Ever since, he always participates in different competitions whether it's big or small event and always ended bagging the prizes. He is born athletic, inherited the genes from his father coach. His level of competitiveness is too high in which his mother is sometimes scared of. He is well-known as the "Ace" among villagers for being the player who has great passion for winning.
 
"What kind of game?" He curiously asked. 
 
"They said it will be a couple game show, more of variety games than sports." 
 
"Ahh I see."
 
"Yes! I heard it's a special edition and the prices are said to be very expensive." Jonghyun told him. 
 
Minho was quiet excited about the event, though he was not sure about it. 
 
"This is a good opportunity for you to invite your girl as your partner." Jonghyun told him.
 
"Ahh really?"
 
"Yes. You will be the one to bring." He added.
 
"Great!"
 

MInho was doubtful at first until heard that. The fact that he can invite Sica to be his partner is a good chance for building a relationship between them. Regardless of the fact that she already has boyfriend, his determination to win her back is his primary goal other than winning the event. After ending the conversation, he then faced the mirror with grinning teeth, planning carefully to win her response. 
 
Krystal was busy scanning a sports magazine when she noticed her sister coming. She quickly closed the magazine to leave just to avoid her sister. Jessica called her name, trying to stop her. Anyhow, her voice sounded  like wanting a confrontation.
 
"Can we talk for a while?" 

 

Krystal was already irritated the moment she saw her sister, her dominance just added the fuel on fire.
 
"Are you going to preach on what happened earlier?" With her usual manner, she wanted to hurt Sica in any way.
 
"I don't understand why are you treating me this way. Just for the pair of snickers? Am I that less valuable than shoes? " Sica could not contain her emotions anymore. She needed to be patience as usual but her younger sister is getting overboard to the point she is bursting.
 
Krystal faced her older sister with stony face. She did not want to explain nor defend her part only she would do is to cut the probable argument and go "You said so." It was like a knife stabbing Sica, she quietly sat on the chair deeply hurt about it. She always tried her best to get her sister's affection but those words just screaming useless between them. 
 
to be continued...