Chapter 34

True Love

A VERY SHORT CHAPTER FOR ALL OF YOU. NOT EDITED.

 

"What do you want to eat?", Kris asked. You shrugged your shoulders and said, "I don't know. You?". He looked at you and said, "You decide.". You looked at him and said, "Actually, I've been craving for burger all of a sudden.". Kris nodded his head. "Wait. Burger? For lunch? Are you serious?", he asked. You gave him a nod and said, "Of course I am. Come on."

You went inside a fast food restaurant just near the company. Kris was the one who ordered your food. The place was crowded, well, what do you expect? It's lunch time. You sat down at a table near a window hoping that Kris would eventually see you. You looked at the line to see if Kris was near the counter.

You heard your phone ring. It was Luhan calling. You immediately answer your phone.

"Hello.", you said through the phone.

"Hello Rai Nee. How are you?", Luhan asked. You smiled and you said, "I'm doing fine. How 'bout you?".

Just then, Kris appeared holding a tray with your orders on it. He saw you talking on your phone. Then he asked, "Who are you talking to?". You looked at him and ignored his question. His eyes widened, "Yah!! Who are you talking to?", he kept asking.

"Tell Leighn that I'll text her later tonight. Thanks Luhan.", you said through the phone. Kris' eyes widened when he heard Luhan's name. He grabbed your phone and he said, "Yah!! Luhan!!!". You looked at Kris and hit his chest, "Stop shouting. God Kris. You're embarrassing.", you told him. Kris ignored you and he said, "I'll kill you if you call Rai Nee again.". Then Kris hung up on him.

Your mouth dropped, "What the hell?", you said. Kris shrugged his shoulders, "What?". You rolled your eyes at him and you said, "Whatever."

Both of you were eating your lunch when a tall guy wearing a black suit was walking towards Kris. Kris saw the man and he said, "Oh no. Not now.". You looked at him confused, "Why? What's the matter?". Just then you saw the guy near Kris. "Sir, the chairman wants to see you right now.", the bodyguard said. Kris shook his head and said, "Tell the Chairman I'll see after an hour.". Then you heard the guy said, "Sir, the Chairman told us that if you won't go with us, we can do anything to forcefully take you."

Kris' eyebrows were very close to each other. You can tell that he was mad. Really mad. Kris stood up and said, "Fine.". He looked at you and whispered in your ear, "I'll call you later. Eat your lunch well.". Then he patted your head before going. You saw him disappear from your sight. What was that all about?

 

 

Kris took a deep breath before entering. He opened the door and saw the lady sitting. The Chairman was sitting at her chair with her hands crossed. Kris bowed and said, "Good morning Chairman.". The Chairman raised her hand and she said, "What happened? Why'd you lose?". Kris stood staright up and he said, "I'm sorry. I wasn't----", but he was cut off when the lady stood up from her seat. She looked at Kris with so much disappointment in her eyes, "I can't believe you can't win a simple proposal like that. I guess it was wrong for me to trust you with this project.", she said. Kris looked down at his feet and said, "I'm sorry Chairman."

The lady only looked at him and she said, "I expected more from you. But you always end up disappointing me Kris.". Kris tightened his jaw, and he felt his fist clenched. He looked at the old lady and said, "Chairman, I'll do better next time.". Kris bowed and he heard the lady said, "If only your brother was here. He would've won that proposal for sure."

Kris felt his heart drop. He looked at the old lady/Chairman and he said, "Mom--", he got cut off when he heard his Mom say, "I don't wanna hear it Wu Yi Fan.". Kris nodded his head and apologized. Kris's Mom sighed and she said, "That's all I wanted to hear. You can go home now. Your Dad and I will attend a meeting.". Kris nodded his head and went outside. He felt so broken, and hurt, and useless. And he can't help but think that he was a disappointment.

 

Kris walked inside their house. And it was big. There were furniture everywhere, there were TVs on each floor, there were at least four rooms in each floor. They've got everything, but to Kris, the house felt empty. He sighed and decided to go to his room. He was walking on their staircase when he saw their family picture. He looked at it and felt his heart hurt. He was still young when that photo was taken, her parents were smiling and her brother's arm was around Kris' shoulders.

Ge ge - chinese for older brother

 

Kris' eyes landed on his brother. "Ge ge, I wish you're still here. Mother and Father's missing you. I--,", he paused, "miss you." He looked down at his feet and he said, "I'm sorry. It's my fault.". And a tear escaped from his eye.

 

You went inside your room and took a shower. You stared at your phone and decided to text Kris.

Hey. -You

But he didn't gave you a reply. You just shrugged it off.

 

It was already late in the evening and you were still waiting for Kris' call. But he didn't call that night. So you decided to do your work.

 

You went to the Yao Company to let Mr Yao sign the contract. Just then you saw a lady talking with Mr Yao before entering his office. The secretary lead you inside his office. Mr Yao saw you and he gave you a smile. You bowed your head to greet both of them. The old lady smiled at you and she said, "Well, this might be Ms Lee."

You gave her a nod and said, "Good Morning Ma'am.". She smiled at you. Mr Yao introduced her, "Ms Lee, I want you to meet Mrs Wu. She's the Chairman of the Wu Company.". Your eyes widened, but you decided to act normal. It's Kris' mother.

Mrs Wu said, "I'd better get going then. Thank you Mr Yao.". Mr Yao nodded his head. Then Mrs Wu left the office.

 

You heard Mr Yao say, "Ms Lee, kindly take a seat please." You took your seat and brought out the blueprint that you've been working on all night. Just then Mr Yao sighed. You stopped and looked at him. Then he said, "Ms Lee.".

You felt something strange, and you knew that it's something bad. You looked at Mr Yao and waited for him to speak. Then he said, "I decided to decline your proposal.". You felt yourself fall on a cliff. Your eyes widened. "Wh---what? Why?", you stuttered. He cleared his throat and said, "Well, my company is now a partner of the Wu Company so I will let Mr Kris Wu do the project."

Your jaw clenched. So that was why he didn't call you last night.

You wanted to punch Mr Yao's face but you held your composure and you said, "I understand. I'll tell Mr Zhang right away.". Mr Yao nodded his head and he said, "Thank you Ms Lee. It was nice having business with you." You shook his hand and quickly left his office.

 

You hurriedly went to the hotel you're staying. And before entering your room, you saw Kris' room. You quickly walked towards his door and knocked. You can feel your fist tighten as you knock on his door. But no one seemed to be there. You go frustrated so you decided to just call him instead. You took out your phone and dialed Kris' number, but before you can even press CALL, you stopped when you saw a lady standing beside you.

Your eyes widened. You gave her a bow. "Mrs Wu. Good morning.", you said nervously. Mrs Wu looked at you and she said, "Ms Lee. What are you doing here?". You cleared your throat and you said, "I went here to see your son."

You saw Mrs Wu raised her eyebrows and she said, "Are you here to talk about the proposal?". You opened your mouth to speak but Mrs Wu cut you off. She said, "Ms Lee, I'm sorry about Mr Yao declining your proposal. But my son doesn't know anything about it. I actually went here to tell him that he'll be the one to do the project with Mr Yao."

You looked at her and ended up smiling while saying, "I see." Mrs Wu smiled at you. You walked towards your door and opened it. Just then you heard Mrs Wu say, "You live next door?". You looked at her and you nodded your head, "Yes Mrs Wu.". Mrs Wu looked at you from head to toe and she said, "My son and you are neighbors? Wow, what a small world.", she laughed. You nervously laughed and said, "Y--yeah.".

You opened your door. And before closing the door you heard Mrs Wu say, "I wonder why my son rented a room when our house is just six blocks away."