Mission One.

Sweet Love or Bitter Hate

 

A/N: Since I’m going to be switching back and forth a lot between Fany’s and Doojoon’s POV, I’m going to make Fany’s POV PINK and Doojoon’s POV BLUE.

 

As we walked together away from the house, I looked at anything except for the gorgeous girl beside me. I took a deep breath and blew it out through pursed lips, trying to halt the pounding that was ricocheting off my heart.

When we reached the intersection, I slid my finger along the flap on the envelope and smoothly pulled out the letter.

“To Our Dearest Doojoon and the Celestial Beauty Fany,” I read out loud with Fany peering over my shoulder. “While you guys are out buying lunch, you have to fulfill these missions or else you can’t come back inside.”

“What?” Fany gaped in disbelief.

I glanced at her and shrugged, the awkward air between us broken for a few minutes.

“Mission one: Have a random person take couple pictures of you two on a phone and text it to us for approval.”

My arm dropped to my side as I looked around us.

“Ahjussi!” I called out.

The man slowed down beside us and looked nervous standing in front of the cameras.

“Can you take a few pictures of us please?” Fany held out her iPhone.

We stood beside each other, uncomfortable with the distance that wasn’t between us. Edgy with the task at hand, we reluctantly joined our arms in a heart shape above our heads. Snap!

Next we decided to do cute poses together, making my heart hammer even harder. Snap!

“Is three enough?” I wondered out loud. Fany nodded.

She twirled around in a circle. “What’s a good couple pose that will satisfy those dorks?”

The random ahjussi who was taking our pictures spoke up. “Give her a piggyback ride,” he suggested, much to our horror.

The cameramen laughed as they supported the idea.

“I suppose so…” I replied skeptically, looking at Fany.

 

“Give her a piggyback ride!” The stranger recommended. I inwardly grimaced.

I have to get on Doojoon’s back?

A couple years ago I would’ve been fine with this idea. In fact, him giving me piggyback rides was nothing new.

But after what happened…

I saw Doojoon look at me, wondering about my decision.

“Fine.” The fans owe me one.

I unenthusiastically climbed on to his back, memories from the past resurfacing again. Forcing a smile on my face, I held out the peace sign as the ahjussi took the picture.

Instantly jumping down, I retrieved my phone, thanking the man for his time.

My face burning, I sent the pictures to ________.

A minute passed. No reply.

Three minutes passed. Still nothing.

Seven minutes passed. No approval from the gang.

“What are they doing?” I muttered under my breath, purposefully not talking to Doojoon directly.

After what had happened, so much had changed between us.

Sneaking a peek at the handsome boy man next to me, my heart started to beat faster.

I walked away from him and the cameras and leaned against a wall, closing my eyes. My mind betrayed me as I started imagining Doojoon’s arms around me again, his twinkling eyes, and his melting smile.

“Fany ah,” a voice interrupted my thoughts, bringing me back from the past. I started with surprise and my eyes flew open to see that man standing next to me, sadness overshadowing his usual bright eyes.

I shifted away. “Ne?”

“I…”

“I wonder what they’re doing?” I changed the subject cheerfully, looking away from the depth of his gaze.

“Fany. I need to tell you somethi-”

I pointed at the sky. “Look! It’s a bunny cloud,” I clapped, ignoring his words.

Sighing, he gave up and slumped against the bricks.

I bit my lips. The pain that had taken me so long to forget was starting to pulse through my veins again, sending tears to my eyes. I quickly blinked them away, hoping no one noticed.

 

 

“Fany. I need to tell you somethi-”

She cut me off. “Look it’s a bunny cloud!” She clapped, disregarding what I was trying to say.

Knowing that she wouldn’t listen to me, I slouched against the building and watched her out of the corner of my eyes.

I saw her blinking rapidly and knew that she was crying. My heart ached as I longed to embrace her in my arms and comfort her.

Giving her that piggyback ride brought so many memories to mind.

I know that those memories were also bringing back pain.

If only she would let me explain that what she saw wasn’t really what had happened…

Determination shot up through my body as I clenched my fist.

Today will be the day that I set things straight.