When Fate Rests in the Hands of Hungry Lions

My Sister's Gift

Yuri POV

“YURI-UNNIE!!! WAKE UP! YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE!” yelled Seohyun from the kitchen.

It effectively woke me up from deep slumber as I rolled off my bed in surprise. I painfully landed on my .

Owww… what time is it anyway?! … HOLY S#@%! It’s already 7:15!?!?! Taeyeon and Sunny will be here any moment to pick me up!

I got off the ground, still entangled in my blankets and I tripped out of my bedroom and ran into the shower.

After taking a shower in record time and dressing at the speed of light, I grabbed my bag and purse from my desk and ran into the kitchen. Seohyun was already there, ready with my glass of Ma juice and a breakfast sandwich, all ready for me to take on the go.

“Omg Hyunnie~ you’re the best sweetie!”

Seohyun smiled as she continued to sip her coffee peacefully and reading the newspaper, “Taeyeon-unnie will be here in 2 minutes, she called.”

With that, I tugged my shoes on and rushed out the door.

“Bye unnie! Have a great day!” yelled Seohyun from the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“YAH! You black kkab! Why haven’t you answered your phone?” yelled Taeyeon as I slipped into the car.

“Calm down Tae-Tae,” said Sunny, “focus on the road!”

I buckled myself in and Taeyeon sped off.

“I’m sorry Tae-unnie; I accidently slept in…”

Taeyeon scoffed as she drove us to the daycare and I got out my phone. There were several missed phone calls from both Taeyeon-unnie and Sunny-unnie. As well as 4 texts, two were from Taeyeon-unnie, another from Sunny-unnie, and… one from Yoona…

I gulped nervously and opened the text.

Fr: Yoona
To: Yuri-unnie

Good morning Yuri-unnie,
I forgot to tell you yesterday that Minna will not be at daycare today. She will be with me for the whole day.
As you probably know, I have a press conference today and my managing company has requested me to bring her along.
Thank you for being understanding and I apologize if this causes any inconveniences.

I pouted. I wouldn’t be seeing Yoona at all today…

“What’s with the sigh Yul?” asked Sunny.

“Yoona texted me to say that Minna’s not going to be at daycare today…”

“Yah you sneaky KKAB! You got her number already?!” teases Taeyeon.

“Whooh~ go Yul! I didn’t know you were a player!”

I blushed, “It isn’t anything like that… She gave me her number so I could keep her updated about Minna throughout the day; I’m supposed to text her every two hours.”

“Wow,” said Sunny as Taeyeon whistled lowly, “I didn’t know she was so protective.”

“Yeah,” added Taeyeon, “Yoona called me to let me know Minna wasn’t coming and during the days that Minna is at daycare, I’m supposed to call her during my lunch to let her know how Minna’s doing.”

I hadn’t known that Yoona had even asked Taeyeon to look after Minna. She really did care about Minna… How cute! ^^

“Well at least we know Minna’s in good hands,” added Sunny cheerfully.

Taeyeon nodded agreeing as she drove us to daycare.

Looking out the window, I felt a bit sad as I knew that I wouldn’t be able to see Yoona or Minna today…

Yoona-ah… I’m going to miss you today…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Yoona POV

Minna was already in a bad mood as I had woken her up quite early in the morning. But after letting her know that she wouldn’t be able to attend school today, she fell into an even fouler mood.

We were at the radio station actually, as I had an interview this morning, a promotion opportunity for my new book.

As the staff was setting up, I finished going over the script and faced the small girl next to me.

Minna was pouting and she held tightly onto one of the new Rilakkuma plushies she had received from Soo the other day. She glared daggers into anyone that approached her thus no questions were asked of who she was.

“Minna-ah, “I gently coaxed, “it’s not nice staring and scaring people away.”

Minna turned to glare at me, “But umma they keep staring at me…”

I chuckled at my stubborn niece and ruffled her hair, “Minna-ah that glare and pout does not suit you at all, please smile for me.”

Minna peered up at me as she gave me a small smile.

“That’s better. Now why don’t we go see if we can find you something to eat?”

“Oh yes please!” exclaimed Minna as she hurriedly got out of her chair.

I took her small hand and searched for Tiffany-unnie. I finally spotted her talking to one of the stylist oppas.

“Fany-unnie,” I said, trying to get her attention. She turned to face me and quickly gave me an eye-smile as she saw that Minna was with me.

“Good morning Yoong! What can I do for you?”

“Minna hasn’t had anything to eat yet. So would you mind taking her out to eat somewhere?”

“Not at all Yoongie, I wouldn’t mind!”

Fany-unnie knelt down to face Minna, “Let me just get my purse alright sweetie?”

Minna smiled as Fany-unnie took her hand and led her away. I watched them leave safely out of my sight.

“You have five more minutes until we air Yoona,” said a voice from behind me. It was Sica-unnie.

I nodded and head towards the headphones and mic stand that awaited me.

The interview was relatively simple. Mostly they asked about my new book, the plot line, the critics’ reviews, and the process at which I wrote the book… the normal junk.

The second half of the interview got more personal as they started to ask me about possible upcoming movies, celebrities I’d like to work with, which lead to celebrities I usually spent time with, which naturally was a transition to my personal love life.

Come on Yoona, you’ve got 5 more minutes of air time and we’ll be done. Im Yoona hwaiting!

“And sadly we’ve reached the last question of today folks,” said the DJ.

“Now Yoona-ah, the listeners and I are well aware that you are a busy idol with a hectic schedule, however that doesn’t mean you have no time for personal life.”

Well actually… it isn’t that simple… but oh well…

The radio DJ continued, “So our final question is does the most wanted bachelorette, Im Yoona, have an interest in someone at the moment?”

And release the dogs… I knew this question was coming.

I took a minute to ponder the question and how to answer it professionally.

Well… truth be told, I haven’t been dating anyone recently. As for anyone appealing… hmmm… I mean I haven’t met anyone really. I don’t even go out often… Dinner with Yuri-unnie was an exception.

I suddenly blushed recalling the events of dinner and the aftermath.

“Ahhhh… so it seems like Miss Im, that you have met someone special…”

Oh shoot… what am I supposed to say?!? I can’t tell them about Yuri! O_O
BREATHE YOONA! Let’s think of a logical answer to this situation…

“Well…” I started out, “it isn’t like I’ve been dating or going out much since my schedule is quite tight. However recently I have met someone that I enjoy being with.”

“Oh ho! That’s quite a comment Miss Im, care to elaborate?”

“There’s really nothing much to say, I simply enjoy being with that person and this person makes my heart flutter.”

“Well, well,” said the DJ, “it seems as if our Im Yoona has a crush.”

I grinned into the mic, “Perhaps I do.”

*The Hall of Communications*

The press conference was to be held in an half an hour. Tiffany-unnie sat next to me as my publicist and Mr. Kim sat next to her. Minna was on the other side of me as Sica-unnie settled next to her.

There were security guards surrounding every feet of the premises and the long table that we sat at. All of them seemed bright and alert as the representatives of all the newspapers, magazines, television stations, etc began to file into the hall.

The paparazzi began pointing their professional lenses and soon the hall was filled with its bright flashes. I felt Minna flinch next to me and I laid a comforting hand on her back to let her know everything would be alright.

As journalists filed every single space provided to them, I began to hear the familiar roar of my fans who had also been invited to this event. The moment they entered the large hall, screams and shouts rang through the entire space.

“IM YOONA, PLEASE MARRY ME!” “YOONA PLEASE ACCEPT MY HEART!” “I LOVE YOU YOONA!” “YOONA-UNNIE YOU’RE MY IDOL!” “YOONA-NOONA YOU’RE A GODDESS!” “OUR GODDESS IM!” “YOONA YOU’RE THE BEST!” “OH MY GOD! IM YOONA YOU ARE SO HOT!” etc, etc…

I flashed a smile at them and as if on cue, all the paparazzi flashed their cameras towards me.

“Yoona-ah,” whispered Sica-unnie from the corner of , “smile more at the cameras. If this goes badly, we want them to at least get good pictures of you…”

Nodding slightly, I added some fan service by waving at the large crowd.

They were in frenzy and I saw the main camera man struggling to stabilize the camera. (Yes, the press conference would be live…)

Mr. Kim took the mic and he waved his left hand to silence the audience.

The press conference officially began as quietness settled the room.

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,” said Mr. Kim. “Thank you for all attending this last minute press conference. As the president of K-Entertainment, I would like to apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.”

“Today, we have invited you all here today because Ms. Im has a very important announcement she would personally like to tell you today. So without further ado let me turn it over to Miss Tiffany Hwang, Ms. Im’s publicist.”

Applause filled the room as Tiffany-unnie took the mic.

“Hello everyone, my name is Tiffany Hwang; it is a pleasure to meet you. As mentioned before, I am Miss Im Yoona’s publicist and as my title implies, I handle all of Ms. Im’s public interactions. Today she has news that may be somewhat shocking. So we would like to ask all of you to cooperate fully with us. We want a smooth, clean, and polished press conference.”

There were several whispers that erupted in the room after Tiffany-unnie’s comment. Jessica-unnie spoke next.

“I am Jessica Jung and I am Ms. Im’s manager. To start of, I’d like to personally thank you for efficiently transitioning from the waiting area into the communications hall. We care for the well-being for all the guests invited here today. I would like to say that whatever Ms. Im has to tell you today, I personally will take any responsibility if any harm will come to Ms. Im, her family, and her close loved ones. There will be no direct ambushing. It will all have to come through myself or Ms. Hwang.”

Now the room was in an uproar with Jessica’s speech finished. There were confused shouts from the journalists and cries from my fans. They started to crowd the table we sat at as security began closing in.

Minna was obviously frightened by the large mass of people, all swarming around us. It broke my heart to see my small niece shaking with fear. I gentle rubbed her back making her look at me. I flashed a reassuring smile as one of her small hands tightly grasped my own.

I knew that it was not the press or my fans’ fault that they were riled up by the announcement. They cared a great deal about my personal life since they had supported me through my debut. However I was angered by the fact that I was not the only one affected. My family and my friends were all closely involved and this time I would not that let that stand.

I slowly entangled my hand out of Minna’s grip as she gave me a panicked look.

“It’s all right Minna I’ll take care of this.”

Jessica-unnie looked at me in alarm as I gradually began to stand up, out of my seat.

“Yoona what are you doing?” asked Fany-unnie as she pulled at my arm.

I pushed her away and continued to walk.

“Get your back in your seat Im Yoona!” hissed Sica-unnie.

However I shook my head at them and walked over to the podium where the mic awaited me. In all the chaos of the fans and media, I felt the eyes of Mr. Kim glaring at me, as for the first time I did something out of my perfectly molded idol image. I was taking my own directions for the first time in my career.

More shouts filled the air and the camera flashed frantically as they captured the Im Yoona rebelling against her management. For the first time though, it all did not matter to me. The only pair of eyes I truly saw was a familiar pair of brown doe-eyes.

Minna gazed at me in awe as she watched her aunt calmly make her way amid the confusion and take the stage.

I took a deep breath before I began to speak.

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,” I spoke firmly and loudly into the microphone.

The room slowly began to fill with silence as the security guards began to quiet the crowd down.

I gave them my signature Im Yoona smile and the cameras flashed once more.

“Please take a seat, I am sure you are all tired from the excitement my management has caused you.”

“As already announced, I do have news to tell you all today. However I believe things were taken out of hand as of my manager’s last statement as it was misleading. I do not have anything scandalous to reveal.”

I paused and waited for the furiously scribbling journalists and whispering recording of the media to catch up on what I was saying. The paparazzi took the moment then to capture more pictures.

“What I have to say will be shocking, but I hope that you will still continue to support nevertheless. In advance though, I would like to apologize for any problems I may cause with my announcement. This news is not to hurt any of you.”

“Since K-Entertainment strictly restrains me from telling you all about my personal family life, I am well aware that all of you have no idea of how I have been raised.”

Everyone in the room was completely silent for the first time as they all waited for me to continue.

“My parents passed away when I was just seven-years-old, leaving me with just my older sister and myself. My older sister and I had always been close and we became much closer as we grew up relying on each other. She was the one person I could always rely on. But due to circumstances for her and her family’s safety; I signed a contract with K-Entertainment to eliminate them from my public life.”

“That will no longer be possible. A few weeks ago, I received news that my older sister and my brother-in-law have passed away in a car accident. With that they have left their three-year-old daughter under my care. My niece is the only family that remains with me. That is why I am gambling my career as an idol to become her mother at the same time. I, Im Yoona, will take on the responsibility to become my niece's adoptive mother. I understand that this will cause many rumors and suspicions but I stand before you all today to tell you that this is my niece, Lee-Im Minna.”

I gestured Minna to come over and she quickly scrambled out my seat and into my embrace. I could clearly hear the frenzy of cameras clicking away at Minna and myself.

“Everyone this is my niece and my adoptive daughter, Minna. Please treat her well and with that concludes my speech and I will now take any questions you have to ask. However we will do this in an orderly manner, one person will be allowed to speak at a time, and any violations will cause the cease to this press conference.”

I stepped away from the microphone and awaited the commotion of all the media and fans. So I was surprised that instead of shouting, I was met with absolute silence.

“Ummm excuse me Ms. Im,” said a reporter timidly, “I believe you made your announcement quite clear but I cannot help but wonder, is she really your niece? She looks so much like you.”

Smiling, “I realize that we do look quite alike. Actually she is basically an exact copy of me but she is truly my niece. There will be a copy of her birth certificate that will be released shortly after this conference is through. That should be enough evidence for all of you. Next question?”

“Will you still be able to balance all your schedules and raise such a young child?”

“I understand the difficulties of being an idol and being a parent at the same time. Therefore some sacrifices will have to be made. I will continue with writing, modeling, and acting career as well as being a mother. But if conflicts may arise, Minna will always come first.”

“Does this mean you are willing to risk your career?”

“Yes, I am willing to risk my career for my niece. I do not plan to throw it away, but if I am asked to make the choice between my career and my family, there is no doubt that I will most definitely choose my family. I will not make the mistake of ignoring my family any longer.”

“You mentioned a contract earlier; does that have anything to do with you ignoring your family?”

“The contracts, made between K-Entertainment and myself, are strictly confidential under my recent contract with the company. Any questions about that will have to be asked to Mr. Kim and the company directly.”

“Will this affect the release of your next book?”

“Not at all, in fact my books have already been printed and are just sitting in a warehouse, ready to be distributed. I hope you all are looking forward to it.”

The room chuckled at my last comment.

“Will there be a movie adaptation to your next book?”

“That will all depend on the public’s response to the book and the critical review.”

“WE LOVE YOU IM YOONA!” “WE WILL MAKE SURE THERE WILL BE ANOTHER MOVIE!” yelled one of my fans.

I chuckled.

“Ms. Im, are we allowed to ask your niece some questions?”

I looked at Minna who was currently snuggling into the crook of my neck. She nodded so I positioned the microphone to her face.

“Hello Minna, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Can you tell us how you feel about your aunt?”

“I love her!” said Minna brightly, “Yoona-umma will take care of me now because my umma had to go to heaven.”

“Do you miss your parents Minna?”

Minna tapped her chin as if she was pondering, “Yes I do and sometimes I’m sad but Yoona-umma makes me feel better.”

“Do you know what your aunt does for a living?”

“Of course!”

“What does she do?”

Minna smiled widely at the crowd and then looked at me.

“Yoona-umma is amazing. She’s an idol but most importantly she’s my umma now.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phew... AND I finished writing the press conference! xD YAYAYAYAY! Hehe~
But yes now the cat is out of the bag. How will the public react? o.O

Anyway I hope you all enjoyed this update! And thank you for the comments from the last chapter! They made my day really! ^^

SO please leave additional comments for this chapter, I'd like to know all of your reactions to this story!
Thanks for reading and subscribing! Please continue to support this story!